Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Let's read 15,000 words about it !

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/26/the-24-year-feud-that-has-dogged-star-citizen

quote:

At this point, it would have been easy for Cloud Imperium Games and its media division to disarm Derek Smart. A simple “Thank you for your valuable input” would probably have sufficed: the sort of humble, the-customer-is-always-right kind of statement that a regular PR agency would have whipped up in 15 minutes. The company could have been open about the fact that development was dragging on for longer than expected, and that all the backers were starting to wonder what was happening behind the scenes. But instead, Cloud Imperium took the worst possible approach when dealing with Derek Smart. As he himself puts it:

“They made it personal.”

The email arrived at 22:05 on a Monday night in July last year. “Dear Mr. Smart,” it began. “Please be advised that we have cancelled your pledge and terminated your Roberts Space Industries account pursuant to the Kickstarter rules”.

For a moment, Derek Smart just sat there, dumbfounded as to how he should react. The whole situation was as abrupt as it was confusing: he’d never asked for his $250 back. Instead of firing off a reply then and there, he decided to sleep on it.

This Star Citizen game sounds interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
The spergs, they ain't will never stop, OP.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Should definitely get in on the ground floor of this one.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I don't get the obsession of star citizen, someone please help me understand :geno:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Star citizen will be amazing and all the people that made fun of it won't be allowed to play and wil miss out on the best game ever made and most will commit suicide once they realize the grievous error they made.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
please explain this thread to me in a few short sentences, is this a gamergate thing or what?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Nooner posted:

please explain this thread to me in a few short sentences, is this a gamergate thing or what?

quote:

On a sunny January day, a man named Kevin found himself walking down 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica, a few blocks from the iconic pier with its towering ferris wheel. People in fancy clothes, lugging heavy shopping bags, were darting in and out of the boutiques lining the street. Others took refuge in the shade of large sun umbrellas, sipping over-priced coffee. Kevin had been given an address, but not much else. To reach the offices of Cloud Imperium Games, he had to pass through a dimly lit corridor that linked the promenade with a back street. It was easy to miss, but once he found his way, he was greeted by a smiling Will Lewis, who at the time was the highest ranking moderator of the RSI community.

Kevin could be described as one of the most vocal and dedicated Star Citizen fans. A 32-year old engineer, he spent much of his free time on the boards of Something Awful, a community with almost 200,000 members whose founder, Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka, once memorably agreed to face Uwe Boll in an absurd PR spectacle of a boxing match. Right before the bout, Kyanka told the assembled reporters that he had been forced to sign an agreement rescinding the right to take legal action against Uwe Boll after the match. “It says that if he gives me AIDS or brain damage or kills me, I can’t sue him. But it didn’t say anything about me giving AIDS to him, so I’ve been out sleeping with male hookers.”

This quote sums up the temperament of Something Awful and its infamous message boards. It happened to be a place where Kevin felt right at home. He was a member of a group of Something Awful-affiliated gamers called “Goons”, whose many subgroups have become infamous themselves for their highly dedicated trolling and griefing of other players, not least in Eve Online. (In Star Citizen, the goons are known as “Goonrathi”, a reference to the catlike alien race Kilrathi from Wing Commander.) They wear their badge as digital saboteurs with pride.

Which one of y'all is Kevin

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nooner posted:

Autists gave a guy 125 million dollars to make a vidya game and he spent half of it making a really bad movie and the other half on restoration hardware furniture and motorized doors and espresso machines.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I find Star Citizen humorous and am glad we have a subforum of insane individuals dedicated to digging up all the absurd poo poo surrounding it so that I can read about it without making any actual effort myself.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Turns out people who spend $40k on a imaginary spaceships are crazy

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Turns out people who spend $40k on a imaginary spaceships are crazy

Are they, really

Or is it SOCIETY that is crazy, and they are the only sane ones? Hmm?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Star Citizen is the other terrible secret of space.

Estranged On The Range
Oct 18, 2015
Can't wait for the mod that replaces black holes with goatse man

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

lol that owns

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

I knew about the boxing match but I never knew about the AIDS quote that rules

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Derek Smart got into a long-winded argument with FactsAreUseless in QCS lol

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post464770159

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm Kevin and im gay.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
(into a mirror)

Derek Smart
Derek Smart
Derek Smart

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Do we really need this thread in GBS when the posting haven for Star Citizen already exists??

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

lmao

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
are people still giving it money? you'd think they would give up by now

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Kotaku? Kotaku UK?! We've made the big leagues, boys.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sounds like old news to me but still entertaining.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Great another East Coast West Coast feud.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

Do we really need this thread in GBS when the posting haven for Star Citizen already exists??

eh gbs needs one once in a while

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Derek Smart and I have a few mutual friends on facebook and he's very active in arguing with people on there. Is that what this is about? Derek Smart arguing with people?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I read the whole thing and I think I will continue to not give any money to Star Citizen or Derek's Smart's game.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

dick wizard posted:

Derek Smart and I have a few mutual friends on facebook and he's very active in arguing with people on there. Is that what this is about? Derek Smart arguing with people?

It's about Derek being envious of super successful rockstar developer Chris Roberts. All the posters in this thread are just puppets of Derek imo spreading this clickbait filth around.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Well in that heap of poo poo i saw Lord of War described as being mediocre so I closed the article out of principle.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Derek is the insane mod of our very own SC forum

Retrovertigoes
Apr 25, 2010
Wasn't this news before Derek Smart got his own sub-forum that turned out to be utterly pointless and not in the slightest bit amusing?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't even know which forum you speak of

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
derek smart have you considered throwing the whole star citizen thing away and starting a minecraft lets play channel instead

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Do people still think that there is going to be a game, or is there still comedy to be had?

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Do people still think that there is going to be a game, or is there still comedy to be had?

No on both counts.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Derek smart is funny and I'm glad he's here

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
id laugh at this except space roberts got what 10 billion dollars for his fake game so i guess , for all intents and purposes, this is as real as it gets

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
space roberts is a smart man

All he had to do was say he was making a game and apparently an army of nerds threw money at him and kept throwing the money, for years

Now he can basically just release the very clearly mediocre game he has made, and still end up a rich man with all the money left over that is clearly going into his pockets

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I don't even know which forum you speak of

The Something Awful Forums -> Games -> Derek Smart's House of Star Citizen Obsessive Insanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

space roberts is a smart man

All he had to do was say he was making a game and apparently an army of nerds threw money at him and kept throwing the money, for years

Now he can basically just release the very clearly mediocre game he has made, and still end up a rich man with all the money left over that is clearly going into his pockets

heres the amazing thing tho:

there is no game

• Locked thread