Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
They made series on geography and social studies, and just after the 2nd clip they decided to hit reset and issue and apology: https://youtu.be/yvFStAP7Uko

So what was it about? what triggered so many people? I could only find some opinions and sargon of akkads video review of the series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvaRcDvGPck
I really didn't think it was such a horrible debacle (unlike my posting, etc.) and that they are overreacting, but some of the stuff pointed out in the video ranged from incorrect to flat-out wrong. This was what one of the greene's had to say about it though:

http://edwardspoonhands.tumblr.com/post/152387394750/why-is-crash-course-human-geography-getting-hella

quote:

2. I think people aren’t used to seeing young women as credible sources of information, even when they are. I think if it was me saying those words, there would be pushback, but not anything like we’re seeing. But I also don’t think we’re going to move past that mindset by never giving young women a chance to be the purveyor of credible information. We picked Miriam because she knows what she’s talking about and she’s comfortable in front of the camera.

There you have it folks, it's just your usual misogyny at work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
pretty cool, thanks for sharing

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Enfield posted:

pretty cool, thanks for sharing

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
yeah i really love pointless youtube drama, thanks for this stupid poo poo, op.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i always knew historical pedants were secret bigots

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
How many minutes of that Sargon of Akkad video is dedicated to Anita Sarkeesian?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Crash Course got into a pretty serious wreck you might say!

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf

Lil Peeler posted:

Crash Course got into a pretty serious wreck you might say!

One might even say that it crashed :grin:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dig the crash course series because it makes me feel like I am learning poo poo. But geography was hella boring so far and just was saying "hey here are some wrong things" without telling you what the gently caress they were even talking about.

It didn't make sense and was two videos in on a topic I'd really like to learn at least a little bit more about, and they had totally lost me.

Also probably because an Asian chick was doing the presenting, and spergy white guys don't want to feel lectured by their sex objects, it makes them feel all demeaned. Hence dislikes on YouTube.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really whats the point of geography in the age of Google maps?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this woman appears to be trying to debunk Guns Germs and Steel, but just called things "problematic" all the time and does not offer any alternative explanations for the evolution of history. its not an informative video, its a virtue signal video, which is why i expect it got some backlash

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Rutibex posted:

this woman appears to be trying to debunk Guns Germs and Steel, but just called things "problematic" all the time and does not offer any alternative explanations for the evolution of history. its not an informative video, its a virtue signal video, which is why i expect it got some backlash

No, they just miscommunicated the fact the foundation on which GGS was written was based on what was basically geographic phrenology: coming up with a justification scientifically why its okay to colonise and loot the new world while still telling yourself you're a good and godly person. People misunderstood this link and then directly conflated GGS with racism, instead of just the flawed premise.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frogfingers posted:

No, they just miscommunicated the fact the foundation on which GGS was written was based on what was basically geographic phrenology

care to explain how? what is the superior theory that explains the difference in development between europe and the rest of the world

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Rutibex posted:

care to explain how? what is the superior theory that explains the difference in development between europe and the rest of the world

As I understand environmental determinism was developed as an academic theory as colonisation was in full swing, and after that all the information was either left on a dusty shelf or taken for granted and not examined critically until more recently. There's a few hundred years between environmental determinism and GGS, but the assumptions about technology and civilisations were unchallenged until after Diamond's book (or Diamond chose to use determinism as a convenience).

I'm not educated in geography or civilisations, but there are unlimited factors that go into why Europe was so king-poo poo at the time including banks, lack of Mongols, texts floating from the former (eastern) Rome, the list goes on. China could have been what Europe was, inversely, and there were specific limiting factors on that. Consider they had guns/cannons/grenades long before the rest of the world.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
China didn't progress because they had such a hard on for Japanese women

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Smash it Smash hit posted:

China didn't progress because they had such a hard on for Japanese women

Also China was (and remains) haltingly centralised, where Europe was fractious and competitive.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why would you do a full-on social justice geographical knowledge course before doing a proper geography course? Why not have the foundation before you go into the why's? That's how every other crash course has gone since they launched.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

rotinaj posted:

Why would you do a full-on social justice geographical knowledge course before doing a proper geography course? Why not have the foundation before you go into the why's? That's how every other crash course has gone since they launched.

Its what gets clicks because the social justice people use the internet more. They just took a step too far and called a world renowned historian a literal KKK racist without even googling the theory or proposing an alternative.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I love misogyny

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I love misogyny

goes great on toast

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I don't even know why the women thing comes into it as even the creator of the series says they hosed up big time and didn't bother to vet the script/research properly.

Their fans are just doing the default, 'call everyone a racist/misogynist' thing.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

TheLightPurges posted:

I don't even know why the women thing comes into it as even the creator of the series says they hosed up big time and didn't bother to vet the script/research properly.

Their fans are just doing the default, 'call everyone a racist/misogynist' thing.

Well the vanguard of criticism is coming from Carlgon, who of course can be trusted to argue in good faith every time. I mean I didn't watch his video because I don't need a ready-made suicide note right now but I'm going assume he laid on the sexism thick. Just going by Hbomberguy videos about him, he seems extremely insecure about women who are more educated than him.

EDIT: Thats not to say the videos were unjustly criticised, just that you can't ignore that a component of that criticism is mainly from a guy who has a history of bloviating at length about women more educated than him.

Frogfingers fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 1, 2016

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I watched the whole thing and the fact that she's a woman doesn't really come up at all. He does insist on calling her "this girl" which is kinda scummy.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Frogfingers posted:

Also China was (and remains) haltingly centralised, where Europe was fractious and competitive.

no, they just couldnt stop checking out japanese babes, idiot. they still do, its crazy! :stare:

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

no, they just couldnt stop checking out japanese babes, idiot. they still do, its crazy! :stare:

Please don't kinkshame the Yuan dynasty, there were a lot of babes checked out, everywhere.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Frogfingers posted:

Please don't kinkshame the Yuan dynasty, there were a lot of babes checked out, everywhere.

im not shaming I totally get it! i amjust saying maybe if it wasnt such a clsoe proximity to hot babes they would be us now? makes you think.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You'd think lusting for women who live across the sea would make you more inclined to build ships and explore.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

im not shaming I totally get it! i amjust saying maybe if it wasnt such a clsoe proximity to hot babes they would be us now? makes you think.

I know I'd certainly be Chinese if it wasn't for Japan

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

KomodoWagon posted:

You'd think lusting for women who live across the sea would make you more inclined to build ships and explore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

This was way after Kublai Khan though.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

KomodoWagon posted:

If you had Japanese women living right next door geographically speaking why would you bother exploring any further? It doesn't get any better you'd have to instinctually know that.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Frogfingers posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

This was way after Kublai Khan though.

Eunuch.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheLightPurges posted:

If you had Japanese women living right next door geographically speaking why would you bother exploring any further? It doesn't get any better you'd have to instinctually know that.

Okay but if sailing east gets me hot Japanese babes, maybe sailing further east would get me hotter, Japaneser babes. Food for thought

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

TheLightPurges posted:

*nods sagely*

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

KomodoWagon posted:

Okay but if sailing east gets me hot Japanese babes, maybe sailing further east would get me hotter, Japaneser babes. Food for thought

Would you tempt fate and leave behind a magical thing? Asian philosophy preaches balance and frankly if they were any japaneser they'd become slaves to the women there.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Goddamn I love shaved pussies.

Woden
May 6, 2006

KomodoWagon posted:

I thought they did but stopped exploring after they found white people?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Better channel for learning geography

Geography Now

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Chlamyllionaire posted:

Goddamn I love shaved pussies.

You know what? This one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frogfingers posted:

I'm not educated in geography or civilisations, but there are unlimited factors that go into why Europe was so king-poo poo at the time including banks, lack of Mongols, texts floating from the former (eastern) Rome, the list goes on. China could have been what Europe was, inversely, and there were specific limiting factors on that. Consider they had guns/cannons/grenades long before the rest of the world.

it's not literally just about guns though, it's more about the fact that Europe/Eurasia got most of the good crops and farm animals which allowed them to out produce (agriculturally) other civilizations which allowed them to devote more time to other things like making steel and warfare. Asia did well obv but in the end rice is not an efficient crop (in fact modern rice was genetically modified to have much larger yields or billions in Asia would have starved). Yeah, China had gunpowder first but their metal working was not up to par and European cannon had nothing to do with the mostly stone barreled handheld stuff the Chinese used. Simplifying a bit ofc but you get the idea.

Compare to the Incas/Aztecs, whose only viable large able-to-be-domesticated farm animal was the Llama. Well cool but you can't put a plow on a Llama. In North America they had... corn. Which sucked as a crop so they didn't really settle down and form towns/cities like Europeans did.

The specific limiting factors you mention were there from the beginning and that's what Diamond bases his thesis on.

I don't think it justifies colonialism or anything just to explain why it maybe happened the way it did. I don't think Europeans are just inherently more evil or something like that, they certainly aren't genetically superior somehow.

e: Europe was actually not doing too hot post black plague and pre-colonialism, that's kind of half the point of colonialism really; they wanted/needed wealth from elsewhere and they had the means to take it. China had banks and Europe had Mongols, too.

ee: idk that I agree with every point Diamond makes but the premise is pretty solid

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 1, 2016

• Locked thread