Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
About two years ago, I had a GBS post where we talked about how cool American cities were, from the obviously cool, to the okay, to the uncool. It was a pretty fun discussion, and we managed to reach some sort of consensus that (for example) Denver > Boston > Minneapolis.

Being more sophisticated and worldly now, I would like to move the question to a wider scope: the entire world. What are the coolest cities in the world? What cities are really good, what cities are passable, and what cities are so boring you might as well be back in Indiana?
Imagine you go back to whatever midwestern town you crawled out of, to meet your normie friends from high school at Olive Garden, what world city do you want to mention spending the last year in?

Cities are also judged against their size. Big cities get a bit of a penalty, because any big world city is going to have some important stuff in it, even if its overall boring. And small cities don't count because they are often designed just to be twee. Reykjavik isn't a city as much as a theme park.

Anyway, this thread is where you get to decide whether Rome is better than Madrid is better than Melbourne is better than Tokyo.

Edit 1: The ">" were just for examples, you don't actually have to do quite that ranking.

Edit 2: While American cities are world cities, if you are using this thread to seriously debate whether Kansas City is more cool than Indianapolis, you are missing the point.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
tampa bay > all

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

milwaukee<nyc<boston<deeznuts

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Chicago > Cleveland > Detroit > Youngstown

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
instead of giving them coolness tiers can we give them silly nicknames like

malibummer

clevelando calrissian

boishithole

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'm not otaku but Tokyo seems seriously cool, like what NYC was in the mid century and what Paris was in the 19th century. I'd go see it in peson if I didn't have to squat

All of you listing only american cities are rly dumb

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

uh any other city is full of non-americans?

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Gazpacho posted:

I'm not otaku but Tokyo seems seriously cool, like what NYC was in the mid century and what Paris was in the 19th century. I'd go see it in peson if I didn't have to squat

have you ever been to tampa bay tho?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

EVIL NOONER posted:

have you ever been to tampa bay tho?
Aka the worlds longest traffic jam?

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Gazpacho posted:

Aka the worlds longest traffic jam?

idk, we have a helicopter and it doesnt seem so bad from up there when we visit. :shrug:

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Greatest Western European city to visit is Berlin, in my opinion.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I prefer Vienna and Prague to Berlin.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EVIL NOONER posted:

tampa bay > all

This is objectively true, you won't find a place of more contrasts or variety

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
rome is p cool but italians suck

if italy was void of italians, except the ones that cook for you, itd be a top tier country

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
There's literally no reason to tour NYC SF Paris or Rome ityool 2016, people who do so have been enchanted by a commercially manufactured historical mirage.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

Sorta blows my mind that the greater metro area of Tokyo has 30 million people in it. that's more than every Scandinavian country combined.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Gazpacho posted:

There's literally no reason to tour NYC SF Paris or Rome ityool 2016, people who do so have been enchanted by a commercially manufactured historical mirage.

food and the colosseum

its obvious youve never actually left your flyover state tbh

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Washington DC is the best

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Ah poor american me, where shall I find italian food

And the colosseum, they don't even hold blood sports there anymore lol what a cheat

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There are only four cool cities and they are, in order of coolness, New York, Bangkok, Tokyo and Berlin.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
madrid is cool

so is buenos aires

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Bottom of the list: Des Moines

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A city so nice they named it Jacksonville.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
San Diego has the best Mexican food in the USA and probably also the world (besides Mexico itself) and this undeniable fact paired with it being decent in every other category has to place it somewhere in the top 10 at least.

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015

Prude posted:

San Diego has the best Mexican food in the USA and probably also the world (besides Mexico itself) and this undeniable fact paired with it being decent in every other category has to place it somewhere in the top 10 at least.

My state has a chipotle(prob more than 1) so that's clearly not true

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Minneapolis is definitely cooler than Boston. I'd put it on the same level as Denver

my favorite city personally is Marseille

I also like Madrid a lot

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SpaghetioSexNoises posted:

My state has a chipotle(prob more than 1) so that's clearly not true

Oh man, a Cafe Rio opened near me, it's leaps and bounds better than Chipotle, even better than Qdoba. Leave it to Utah to start the best burrito chain.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

Ah poor american me, where shall I find italian food

And the colosseum, they don't even hold blood sports there anymore lol what a cheat

Motherfuckin catacombs in Rome.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
Tokyo, Edinburgh, London all pretty cool.

New York is okay.

Living in Vancouver, will report on coolness later.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

return0 posted:

New York is okay.

I live in NYC and go to London often and they feel like pretty much the same place

Edinburgh is awesome to visit but I would not want to live there

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

a bone to pick posted:

Bottom of the list: Des Moines

Nah, if we're going international this time, it would be Naples. I mean, yes, there are "worse" cities in 3rd world countries, but Naples is a 3rd world city in a supposedly 1st world country.

Yeah, let's just hang our underwear over our piles of garbage. That seems like a good idea.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bangkok > all

though honorable mention to buenos aires

that town is nuts

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

T.S. Smelliot posted:

This is objectively true, you won't find a place of more contrasts or variety

Tampa is literally a big piece of poo poo.

The only thing you have is Ken's Winghouse but those also exist in other, better cities. Like Largo.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Hector Beerlioz posted:

:agreed:

There's a dozen Chinese restaurants I liked there, whereas in the poo poo holes I've lived in since I've given up and just get loving Panda Express now. Tempted to get another job there again just for the food

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hong Kong kicks rear end, its like a super dense metropolis stacked on top of a jungle mountain island

in China there is a city called Pingyao, it is surrounded by high old stone walls it is a really beautiful place that seems pulled out of time

Right now I live in Melbourne and there is a lot of stuff to do here, more stuff than in most cities that aren't mega-metropolises.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It's a ghost town at night

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Tampa is like slightly better than Baltimore.

I think we can all agree that Baltimore is the worst city in the history of man kind.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

return0 posted:

New York is okay.

Living in Vancouver, will report on coolness later.

Edinburgh is a bitch of a commute every day is what it is

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Hector Beerlioz posted:

"burrito" "chain"

There is nothing but hubris and insolence contained within this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Kuato posted:

:agreed:

There's a dozen Chinese restaurants I liked there, whereas in the poo poo holes I've lived in since I've given up and just get loving Panda Express now. Tempted to get another job there again just for the food

Yeah, little Ethiopia has great food as well. DC just got a Michelin guide too!

Whooping Crabs posted:

It's a ghost town at night

Apart from Adams Morgan and U Street this is correct. The Metro shutting down at midnight on weekends now doesn't help.

DC is ok, but it's not the best. Everyone only comes to live here for a few years so it has no real culture outside of your work. Smithsonian is great tho.

• Locked thread