Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
social vegan

Despite what the thread tag says i'm not a jabroni, but I am a sports man i love to watch soccer ball, hoops, and the NFL, and the others, like punching, golf, and frolf.

A lot of people are scared of not looking like they know what they are talking about these days so I'm here to answer your questions and sports so you can tell your friends and family hey buddies, I know some sports and I'm here to hang.

Anyways, ask anything you want to know about sports or what it's like to be a sportsmen. I know both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

I appreciate your time writing this neato thread! I myself do not sport often, if any, so any hacks or tips are appreciated.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

FactsAreUseless

My favorite sport is drowning. I like to watch people drown expertly. I like to see the crowd go insane, I like to hear them scream and I like to see them do "The Wave." I wonder what the cheers sound like from beneath the lake. I like how still the water is, afterward.

FactsAreUseless

I used to be into tree wrestling but the trees always win so it got boring.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
If I have five children and one them is clearly not going anywhere in life what sport can I choose to most efficiently and quickly destroy their brain cells/leave them in a vegetative state?

edit:

nevermind, i just found this sport, ty

FactsAreUseless posted:

My favorite sport is drowning. I like to watch people drown expertly. I like to see the crowd go insane, I like to hear them scream and I like to see them do "The Wave." I wonder what the cheers sound like from beneath the lake. I like how still the water is, afterward.

social vegan

vanisher posted:

I appreciate your time writing this neato thread! I myself do not sport often, if any, so any hacks or tips are appreciated.

did YOU KNOW?

The original soccerball (also called the foot ball in brazil and myanmar) was originally created by wrapping a checkerboard around a basketball. The checkboard added a layer of cushioning (basketballs are known to pop upon being kicked, which is why it's illegal to use your feet in the game of basketball) and cut down on sports costs. It also gave the soccerball it's iconic black and white stylings, which is slowly being replaced by fake hand prints of shaquille oneal (if you get your soccer balls from kfc meal deals and I do)

social vegan

FactsAreUseless posted:

Down Unda' (Austria and Tanzania) they call this sport "surfing" kelly slater made a video game about it

FactsAreUseless

The first Golf War was a mistake. Iraq is a giant sand trap.

social vegan

Luvcow posted:

If I have five children and one them is clearly not going anywhere in life what sport can I choose to most efficiently and quickly destroy their brain cells/leave them in a vegetative state?

edit:

nevermind, i just found this sport, ty

I can't nevermind i care too much about sports being a sportsman my whole life buy them one of these

it's called a kendama, the ball represents the original alien race that populated ireland and the peg and handle are an irish cross or lowercase letter t, symboling "t"he jesus christ, king of ireland

FactsAreUseless

America's long love affair with the yo-yo is finally at an end, as "walking the dog" is now considered hideously offensive, due to the incident.

FactsAreUseless

I love sports, and that's why I've covered myself in mud and grass and laid down in this baseball field. Soon, I will be the field. Soon. I can already feel the ground growing into me. I don't care if I ever go back. Take me out. Take me out. Take me out.

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
If you think about it, isn't every one who drives an amateur NASCAR driver?

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
I have some questions about the sports.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Why is it called "Curling" instead of "Sweeping."

----------------

FactsAreUseless

Nothing like an ice-cold glass of sports drink at this, the big stadium or arena. Yes sir, just like my dad did to me so too is the concepts [ed note: ideas] passed on to you, my childs. Look at how you scramble and scatter, look at how you crawl upon the bleachers and the walls with your ice-cold glass of sports drink. Hear the walls/ceiling of the big stadium or arena shake and shiver with the sound of your happy child screeches. Here comes the sport. Here are all the sizes and shapes of the ball. Here is the player. There he goes. Remember his face.

FactsAreUseless

They call it track and field, but I've been running for four days now and I haven't seen a field. And I'm tired, you know. I'm so tired, but there's just more track. I'll keep running, because I know that one day there will be a field.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
long after the players have left the field and the fans have emptied from the stands I like to sit and imagine I am out there amongst the sports ghosts

Manifisto

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love sports, and that's why I've covered myself in mud and grass and laid down in this baseball field. Soon, I will be the field. Soon. I can already feel the ground growing into me. I don't care if I ever go back. Take me out. Take me out. Take me out.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nothing like an ice-cold glass of sports drink at this, the big stadium or arena. Yes sir, just like my dad did to me so too is the concepts [ed note: ideas] passed on to you, my childs. Look at how you scramble and scatter, look at how you crawl upon the bleachers and the walls with your ice-cold glass of sports drink. Hear the walls/ceiling of the big stadium or arena shake and shiver with the sound of your happy child screeches. Here comes the sport. Here are all the sizes and shapes of the ball. Here is the player. There he goes. Remember his face.

vanisher

FactsAreUseless posted:

The first Golf War was a mistake. Iraq is a giant sand trap.

social vegan posted:

did YOU KNOW?

The original soccerball (also called the foot ball in brazil and myanmar) was originally created by wrapping a checkerboard around a basketball. The checkboard added a layer of cushioning (basketballs are known to pop upon being kicked, which is why it's illegal to use your feet in the game of basketball) and cut down on sports costs. It also gave the soccerball it's iconic black and white stylings, which is slowly being replaced by fake hand prints of shaquille oneal (if you get your soccer balls from kfc meal deals and I do)

This is amazing news. Sports costs are the reason more of our younger folks don't get involved and it's sad. Their meager salaries just aren't enough to cover all the base products and peripherals, let alone key DLC.

social vegan

Ride The Gravitron posted:

If you think about it, isn't every one who drives an amateur NASCAR driver?

Afraid not if u read the NASCAR regulation dictionary statute 45 it outlines a series of muscle ratios between your left and right half for example your left bicep and quad have to be 1.5-4x the mass girth and ferocity of your right this shows that you've got a honed imbalanced body build to take lefts. The product of the systemic imbalance in your body means you'll never walk again as yoru centre of gravity and chi are slightly off centre and that's why, if you look at nascar driver's while they are not in their cars, their hats sit slightly askew and they cannot walk without a heavy man holding down their right side

social vegan

misty mountaintop posted:

Why is it called "Curling" instead of "Sweeping."

Have you ever wondered why curlers wear such big shoes? Me too, but not anymore because I know now that it's because they constantly have to curl their toes the entire game it's a bit of an in joke which is why it's so hard to join curling clubs. To the untrained eye, I guess """sweeping""" makes sense but if you look at the research, you'll find that the ice is significantly dirtier after every game

social vegan

every wonder why the american NFL football is an oval and not round like many other ball? ACtually, it is! You're just looking at it wrong, maybe think about looking within yourself before you decide to cast judgement

social vegan

if you watch the sport it's called rugby but if you play the sport it's called rugam

social vegan

golf tees were first designed as table props on the set of the borrowers (1997). It took us ten years before we realized they could be used to hold a golf ball. Before then, we just used those little patio tables that come in pizza boxes, which is why you see golf and pizza together so often

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Dear Sportsman,

Why don't they allow the DH (designated hitter) in soccer?

vanisher

Luvcow posted:

Dear Sportsman,

Signed,

Underappreciated kickboxer

social vegan

Luvcow posted:

Dear Sportsman,

you shouldn't smoke meth during any sports

social vegan

it's called ultimate frisbee because the losers are killed D:

vanisher

Dear Sportman,

After years of playing and enjoying frolf i've developed a skew in my back slice. Is there an easy remedy so I can enjoy each game as I did when I was but a young man?

FactsAreUseless

Take me out to the sports
Let's all be at the game
Buy me some food
Buy me more food
Give me everything to consume
Nothing satiates the hunger
At the big sports day!

social vegan

vanisher posted:

Dear Sportman,

After years of playing and enjoying frolf i've developed a skew in my back slice. Is there an easy remedy so I can enjoy each game as I did when I was but a young man?

Dear Sportsfan,

Thanks for the message! I'm doing great and so is the sportsfamily I hope you're doing great like the sportsfamily and me mentioned earlier in this sentence and message, respectively!

There's an easy fix to the frolf slice (lucky!)! Have you ever tried throwing your Innova TeeBirdŽ using your mouth? No? Well now's the time to start as your arm is irreparably ruined for this specific sport! Lucky for you, many of the professionals using their mouth to disc golf. In fact, being from a sportsfamily myself, my grandmama was the queen of the frolf blacktop and no one crossed her or messed with her or they got a thrashing on the light green. She played disc golf her entire life using her chompers right until the moment we found out she had passed. She died like the did, frolfing at the mouth.

Good night sportsfan,

Sportsman

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Here's a throwback post about what its like to date a Sportsman.

misty mountaintop posted:

It was like dating a pokemon named Sports.

Me: So what did you do today?
Him: Sports!
Me: Ha ha, yeah, sports. They're pretty awesome...I love...Lebron?
Him: [angry] Sporrrts..
Me: I mean...Steph Curry?
Him: Sports!
Me: I like when the ball goes in the hoop.
Him: Sports sports!
Me: They changed my shift at work again, it's really hard to keep up when they're doing that all the time.
Him: [sleepy] sporrrts...
Me: It's like...uh....when the middle linebacker fakes like he's going to drop into coverage and then does a delayed blitz.
Him: Sports?
Me: Yes, honey, it's like sports.
Him: Sports.
Me: *sigh* Let's just go back to your place and gently caress.
Him: Sports sports sports sports sports sports!

----------------

social vegan

i've been told too many times that u can't gently caress the pokemon

FactsAreUseless

Greetings, I am Tommy Sport, the athletic man. I can lift many things. I can run the good way, the fast fashion the world wants to see. I can jump, and my shoes are desired. I am Tommy Sport. I am happy. I tell myself I am happy. I tell myself I make others around me happy and that is the same thing. I can score a point. I can score another. I can score another. Do you see my numbers? Are they correct?

social vegan

they called them the uprights because taht's where the king and queen of footballs would stand and watch the game. Above all the players and crowd, they set a standard for what you should act like and that's why everyone likes gold and crowns

social vegan

ice hockey is also played with a ball, but most of the ball is in another dimension not yet understood or perceptible by human beings. That's why hockey players are so good at physics!

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i've been on a big gladiatorial fight to the death kick lately, do you have any cool facts about those?

or tips?

tips would really help ASAP, they're shoving me out the door and i can hear the lions roaring from here already

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
How come when a player does one thing with a ball he scores, but when a player does something else it's a penalty?

tia

social vegan

food court bailiff posted:

i've been on a big gladiatorial fight to the death kick lately, do you have any cool facts about those?

or tips?

tips would really help ASAP, they're shoving me out the door and i can hear the lions roaring from here already

Good question I'd normally say down to front punch but that's baby stuff, let's *turns to the camera and the echo comes on* SPORT IT OUT.

Gladiatorial fights to the death started when they forgot tennis balls on the set of american gladiators and they had to use wonderballs instead, little did they know the candies hidden inside worked perfectly as grapeshot. Now it's a sport, the most dangerous game (in dear hunter the movie).

Swords didn't exist until 1952 but we've been raised drinking water that implanted the idea that they have been around most of human history. Not so much a fact as a way of life. Sword fighting is a sport but it's not in the olympics, weird, almost like it didn't exist until 1952. Same reason we don't have pogs or skip it in the olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan

Bacon Taco posted:

How come when a player does one thing with a ball he scores, but when a player does something else it's a penalty?

tia

ywia

In the first instance the sport is called volleyball, the player dedicates her or his life to jumping higher, smashing the ball harder, and hoopin' hard and fast with no abandon and little respect for the law. As a product, when you put the rock in their hands they always slamma jamma. Second player uses league and legends and 5 hour energys to get ahead in life without putting the work in. Put the rock in this player's hand and it's nothing but a brick.

*turns to the camera and winks* and you can take brick to the bank

• Locked thread