Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
Season's greetings and all that jazz, it's time for the EIGHTH ANNUAL AWFUL XMAS MUSIC THREAD!

Really?

Yes, really!

T'is the season to turn on your $8 battery-operated, Wal-Mart-bought microphone, hit record on your potato of a phone, and croon out the biggest load of crap you can possibly manage, and then we put them all together in a nice album, so you can annoy your relatives and future ex-friends :toot:

Questions? I've got answers!

Q: So, should my music be awful?
A: Not necessarily. There have been some super great and just funny-in-general tracks submitted in the past. Think of it like a mix of a Photoshop Phriday thread and an MS Paint thread; On one hand, you have incredibly talented work, and on the other, you have some poo poo that looks so terrible, you can't help but laugh. This is the christmas-themed audio equivalent, so go hog wild!

Q: How do I submit tracks?
A: You record whatever you want, as long as it's christmas-themed, and you post in this thread. Here's the thing, though... BE SURE TO WRITE THE FOLLOWING IN YOUR POST SO YOUR TRACK IS PROPERLY INCLUDED:

MY TRACK IS UNDER THE TREE

That way, I (or Rupert Buttermilk, who's my #1 helper elf for this sort of thing) will be able to easily find newly submitted tracks versus the tried-and-true tradition of posting favourites from other years. Please, post stuff you love, but be sure to reserve that phrase above for actual 2016 submissions.

Q: Where do I upload tracks?
A: Tindeck is apparently going to go down whenever, but it's not done yet, so you COULD use that. Otherwise, maybe Soundcloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, or your own hosting site. One caveat, no matter what, I need to be able to download your track. Just having it streamable isn't acceptable so you'll naturally get coal from me, in the form of your track not being included

Q: When is the due date?
A: Soft due date is Dec 15th, hard due date is Dec 20th. This means that you should aim to have your stuff in by the 15th at midnight, but the ACTUAL, FULL-ON, NO-FOOLIN' cutoff is 11:59pm on Dec 20th, 2016 :colbert:

:siren: DEADLINE EXTENDED TO DECEMBER 23rd!! :siren:

Q: What about collaborations?
A: Yes! Do it! Do them! The more music submitted, the better (I think)! Goon or non-goon, stop, collaborate, and listen.

This being the 8th year for this (wow...), I doubt I have to answer any more questions about this, but if you have any, feel free to post them here!

Links to previous threads:

1st (2009): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3224294
2nd: (2010): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3224294
3rd: (2011): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451851
4th: (2012): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516742
5th: (2013): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585618
6th: (2014): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681788
7th: (2015): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749494

And the big depository of all of the previous years' albums on Bandcamp!

http://saxmas.bandcamp.com/

ModEdit:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://twitter.com/robot_cousin/status/812890375115407360

I'll post a link to my google drive as soon as I can, and in the next coming weeks, I'm going to be making a full-on archive of EVERYTHING where you'll be able to DOWNLOAD and SHARE and LIVE and LAUGH but probably not STREAM but you can just do that on BANDCAMP!

:toot:

Merry almost Christmas!

EDIT: So, my upload speeds are horrendous (thanks, Bell!). Therefore, It's up, here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3dA6m7Ik-nzcmVxaGdSRTY2ZEk

This link is fully shareable, and when it's all up there, you should see one (1) zip file containing 67 tracks of your glorious efforts this year. I'm sorry, I wasn't able to include Drink Mix Man's entry, as it wasn't available for download, BUT you're more than welcome to tack it on to disc 5, and when I put these up on my website for archival purposes, I WILL include it, provided he allows me to download it. As of this specific download in this post, it's not included.

So, thoughts... Well, Bsam... my god, you've got an entire disc to yourself (until I get that above-mentioned track) so congrats, buddy! It genuinely wouldn't be a weird, awful, goon christmas album without true oddities like that.

You all really did wonderfully. Some tracks are terrible (:toot:), some tracks are legitimately awesome (:toot: :toot:), but I have to say that I really, REALLY enjoyed listening, and relistening, and relistening to all of these.

Toothy, I gotta hand it to you, I think Trout Sniffer might be my most-played track. Not to get anyone else down, but I have an obsession with the first two Home Alone films, plus it was a short track. Both of those elements really made it stand out to me, and would have it on repeat when I was doing non-album order stuffs.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:toot:

I can't wait to hear what you weirdos will cook up this year!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
FINALLY :dance:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

So I have control over the bandcamp currently. There is an internal download limit per month of 200 tracks/albums. I will be keeping track of this best I can, but definitely post here or PM me if you have any issues with the past albums. If it becomes a problem we can address that later.

My one failing is that Bandcamp did not keep the metadata that I thought it would, so username's were lost. I'll make sure they are included in this year's album, and if I feel really insane and hate myself I might go back over the other 474 songs and fix them.

Also, I think I made sure you could not pay for any of these. If any slipped through, or if Bandcamp did something dumb and lets you pay anyway, PLEASE DON'T. These are free.

Here's a sample from last year that I particularly enjoyed!
(Tindeck is apparently acting up, the dead image links will lead to songs though)

Cemetary Gator

Haschel Cedrickson

RaceFat aka Hot Dad

Rascal_Rockhog

Captain Tudmoke

Man, there were so many good tracks last year. I could list like half the album here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

So I have control over the bandcamp currently. There is an internal download limit per month of 200 tracks/albums. I will be keeping track of this best I can, but definitely post here or PM me if you have any issues with the past albums. If it becomes a problem we can address that later.

My one failing is that Bandcamp did not keep the metadata that I thought it would, so username's were lost. I'll make sure they are included in this year's album, and if I feel really insane and hate myself I might go back over the other 474 songs and fix them.

Also, I think I made sure you could not pay for any of these. If any slipped through, or if Bandcamp did something dumb and lets you pay anyway, PLEASE DON'T. These are free.

Here's a sample from last year that I particularly enjoyed!
(Tindeck is apparently acting up, the dead image links will lead to songs though)

Cemetary Gator

Haschel Cedrickson

RaceFat aka Hot Dad

Rascal_Rockhog

Captain Tudmoke

Man, there were so many good tracks last year. I could list like half the album here.

Seriously, all year long, any time I saw your name on here or on Slack, I'd hear "Bawitah... Bawitah... Bang bang diggeh dig-EH" in my head.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You write the lyrics, I'll sing your song! My singing friend MCSTABBY and I are totally up for performing this year, though as usual, we suck at creating concepts and words and things.

Also all of this reminds me that I never quite finished getting last year's album up on YouTube so I should probably do that.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 14, 2016

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i wouldn't be doing my job as petit gregory's biggest annual fan if i didn't also repost this

http://saxmas.bandcamp.com/track/feliz-navitakyon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This has always been one of my favourites. It's got everything; true Christmas music backing to lure people in, an awful sounding aspect (the mouthpiece trying to hit high, or any, notes) and the inevitable humour of it all.

http://saxmas.bandcamp.com/track/o-holy-mouthpiece

:allears:

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

my cat is norris posted:

You write the lyrics, I'll sing your song! My singing friend Cherrycat and I are totally up for performing this year, though as usual, we suck at creating concepts and words and things.

Also all of this reminds me that I never quite finished getting last year's album up on YouTube so I should probably do that.

Don't forget me, I'm game for butchering more Taylor Swift lyrics.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

christmas season begins after thanksgiving, OP

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

hth posted:

Thanksgiving was a month ago.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hth posted:

Tell that to every single retail outlet on Nov 1st. If they're going to play lovely REAL christmas music, then we sure as hell can start making REALLY lovely christmas music to fight back like 2 weeks later.

By this logic, I seriously debated starting the thread right after Halloween.

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001
Can't wait! Time to dust off the guitar and drum tracks and spend 35-40 seconds writing lyrics!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

So I have control over the bandcamp currently. There is an internal download limit per month of 200 tracks/albums.

I just asked this in the game dev slack, but I don't think you've seen it yet... so, this is JUST for downloads, right? Not streams?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I loved the one that's just the guy saying Christmas over and over in a somber tone, and the Christmas mash.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just asked this in the game dev slack, but I don't think you've seen it yet... so, this is JUST for downloads, right? Not streams?

That's correct, streams are unlimited.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McStabby posted:

Don't forget me, I'm game for butchering more Taylor Swift lyrics.

When I said "Cherrycat" I meant "McStabby" because I confuse your two handles all of the time for some reason. :blush: I totally know your real names better than I do your SA names.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]

hth posted:

We're filthy Canadians (sorry :canada:). Xmas season starts now! Get recording!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Well now I feel silly for sending a PM this morning asking when this thread was going up.

I have a few ideas and hopefully my basement doesn't flood on the weekend I plan on recording this year.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The only thing that makes this time of year worth it :getin:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I might try to make something this year.

Might.

If I do, it will suck.

Definitely.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

We Wish You an Adequate Festive Period makes me cringe and then laugh every time I think about it

ha ha ha ha

TheSnackuum
Nov 4, 2015

Nom nom nom!
Nooooo, please noooooo. :psyduck:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Oh, last Friday a few managers at work were talking about our annual Christmas party and I got permission to be in charge of the music. There is also a small chance that if I burn a CD I may be able to play it overhead on the salesfloor.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I can't believe it's been 8 years. These lovely Christmas songs are the true reason for the season.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think I'll get fired if I play any of these at work.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 15, 2016

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Three-Phase posted:

I think I'll get fired if I play any of these at work.

The noblest of goals

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

oh boy oh boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puTsbvGEK68

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

MY TRACK IS UNDER THE TREE

I can't match the Christmas magic that is Blonde-Haired-Blue-Eyed-White Baby Jesus, but here's my rhythm crime for the season.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Not only do I like the song, but I also like how it provides a nice contrast to all the songs from previous years about how Santa keeps the elves as slaves.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes!

It's time to start working on the lyrics, I suppose.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This thread is the true gift of Christmas each year.

I have raised my children to believe that Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas Time is a genuine Christmas classic. Now we've added Taco Bell Christmas and Jingle Bawitidaba to the list (of kid safe Christmas tunes). Seriously, we were playing them as part of Christmas in July.

God Bless You Merry Goons.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
MY TRACK IS UNDER THE TREEE

Christ is born, go forth to meet Him,
Christ by all the heaven adored;
Singing songs of welcome, greet Him,
For the earth receives her Lord.
All ye nations shout and sing;
For He comes, your glorious King.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I failed last year, I tried to double down on smut and it just came off as creepy and unfunny.

I'll see what I can do this time

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FBaybwYZ4

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

sexy Santa is in my holiday playlist forever

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Okay I wrote something. Norris, Stabby, I'll send you a PM with lyrics and music. You can split it up however you like, including one person just doing the whole thing. Talk to each other and get back to me.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ranma Fan Art posted:

sexy Santa is in my holiday playlist forever

If you mean the one I wrote, I'm glad you like it. If not, link me up - I'm always down for a sexy santa

sout
Apr 24, 2014

gently caress yes happy holidays!
it's the most wonderful time of the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I need that one which was don't wake me up but about eggnog

• Locked thread