Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What brand do you open carry
Nikon
Cannon
Off brand china knockoffs
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
OK GBS what kind of pictures do you take? Do you have neat cameras?

I have a Nikon D5500 and a 1.8f 35mm (52.5mm equivalent because I have a crop sensor) prime as well as the kit lens. I've taken some pretty good pictures and I bet you idiots have too.

This is a good place to post your pictures and recieve complents and give some out too maybe.

Sometimes we take bad pictures of cool things too though.

This is also a good place to discuss camera holsters and open carrying your cameras and the laws surrounding that.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I go through photography phases. Thought I'd get into it heavy for a minute when I was younger but music is my passion.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I shoot with a Fuji X-T2, which I love. The lenses I use most are the XF 35mm f/2 R WR (a nice fast prime at 53mm equivalent) and the XF 56mm f/1.2 R (good for portraiture, 85mm equivalent). I like to shoot people and animals and cars, I find nature photography boring, though I'd like to buy a macro lens at some point and try some flowery macro shots.

I use Lightroom for 80% of the photos that I develop, and Snapseed on my Android phone for the other 20%. Snapseed is great because the X-T2 has Wifi, so when I'm "in the field" I can send over the good shots to my phone, develop them there, and either send them to the folks in the photo or post them on Facebook or whatever.

I don't think I have any photos I can post right now because they're mostly of people and I don't want to get doxxed.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
my phone has a camera and i use it to take photos of food ive cooked because im a stupid idiot. well bye forever

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enfield posted:

my phone has a camera and i use it to take photos of food ive cooked because im a stupid idiot. well bye forever

Food photography is probably some of the most artistic rear end poo poo out there dude.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'm not a very good picture taker but i'm gonna look at the pictures

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

*hikes to top of mountain revealing beautiful vista*

*takes out camera*

PLEASE INSERT MEMORY CARD

"gently caress!!!"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

numberoneposter posted:

*hikes to top of mountain revealing beautiful vista*

*takes out camera*

PLEASE INSERT MEMORY CARD

"gently caress!!!"

You joke, but it's been incredibly helpful to have a camera with two memory card slots. It means I make sure I never take out both simultaneously, so even if one is in the computer, there's still one in the camera.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I own 17 Hassleblads

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I have a phone. It takes pictures that are just as high quality because we are no longer in the era of flip phones. Posted while pooping.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ArtIsResistance posted:

I have a phone. It takes pictures that are just as high quality because we are no longer in the era of flip phones. Posted while pooping.

Hate to take the bait, but there's a real physical constraint to how good phone cameras can ever be given their size.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

500 good dogs posted:

Hate to take the bait, but there's a real physical constraint to how good phone cameras can ever be given their size.

I totally understand this because I'm a photographer genius but pls explain it for uh... my friend

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
the lenses are tiny but good news you can get inexpensive mirrorless cameras that use dslr lenses and take fancy lookin pictures for cheap!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I own 3 video cameras

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I totally understand this because I'm a photographer genius but pls explain it for uh... my friend

Here's an article that might help, I've seen better ones before that explain why the giant cameras can physically do things better, but

https://fstoppers.com/critiques/why-cell-phones-wont-ever-replace-professional-cameras-74727

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Roki B posted:

the lenses are tiny but good news you can get inexpensive mirrorless cameras that use dslr lenses and take fancy lookin pictures for cheap!

mirrorless cameras and dslrs are basically the same just mirrorless ones can be thinner because they don't have an optical rangefinder (no moving mirror to the rangefinder)

edit: is it called a rangefinder or am I being dumb

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Rangefinder doesn't look through the lens, it's it's own seperate thing on top

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Honestly the shutter sound is very satisfying

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Roki B posted:

Honestly the shutter sound is very satisfying

I agree

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know a drat thing about photography, and I don't even own a proper camera, but I take pictures for a local cat rescue I volunteer with. They sometimes turn out nicely.

This is Sheila. Say hi.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Rangefinder doesn't look through the lens, it's it's own seperate thing on top

Yeah where I said rangefinder I was dumb and meant viewfinder is where the mirror bounces lens to

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I was worried when I bought mirrorless that the viewfinder would be trash, but it's a low persistence OLED screen that's pretty good and having the big LCD on the back also show me the view is more useful than I would've expected (especially because of the three direction tilting screen)

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I bought a decent point and shoot camera for a good price, then it broke months after the warranty expired without ever dropping it and always keeping it in a case. So now I just use a phone like a modern person

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Also another example showing why phone cameras will never be nearly versatile enough to replace real cameras

https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/5857279/this-is-how-lenses-beautify-or-uglify-your-pretty-face/amp

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wow, you know Winona Ryder?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I haven't taken as many pictures lately, but I used to live in a pretty nice house in a rural area, which constantly had interesting subjects.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

this is a good photo of a good dog

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i have a Sony Digital Mavica MVC-FD71 and i took a picture of a wheel using the 10x optical zoom*

* this is all literally true

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Is it one of the cameras you put the floppy disk in?!

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

500 good dogs posted:

Is it one of the cameras you put the floppy disk in?!

yes i got it at a yard sale for a dollar

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I posted lots of underwater pictures in the a/t diving thread. A few are good

E: phone posting, just go find a post of mine in that thread and do the posts by me, you will find the pictures also you will see the difference as I got better

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 2, 2017

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i also have a panasonic lumix g7 (micro 4/3 ya know

i take mediocre pictures

i have one of those cheap chinese cctv lenses, one of those old USSR lenses, some old sigma lens made for pentax k-mount and also a jc penneys k-mount lens.

oh and one of those olympus body cap lenses

welp peace out

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I had turned a few from over the years into screensavers for a Raspberry Pi emulator recently:

The bee one was D7000, the others were a D800E. Various lenses.

VendaGoat posted:

Why are people posting seriously in GBS?

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 2, 2017

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

VendaGoat posted:

We like hanging out with our GBS friends taking about the hobbies we have in common.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AHAHHAHAHHAHAH :lol::laffo::lol::laffo: AHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHA

500 good dogs posted:

We like hanging out with our GBS friends taking about the hobbies we have in common.

Carry the gently caress on. :patriot:

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I go through photography phases.

I'm kinda the same. I'll buy a bunch of photography stuff, dick around with it for a few months, then sell everything. Eventually I start over.

A while back I bought an old Canon 7d and a 50mm 1.8 STM and lately I've been hanging around cemeteries taking artsy black and white photos of statues and poo poo.

Generic poo poo maybe, but it's a fun way to kill a Sunday afternoon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
That's dope

• Locked thread