Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As Americans, we are blessed to speak the Lord's own language: American. Please note that all nouns are treated equally with regards to gender.

Other languages are far more primitive and assign genders to each noun. French, for example. A productive factory is masculine, yet a lovely toilet is feminine??? That's kinda hosed up.

Is this considered to be an "issue"? If not, should it be an issue? Maybe all nouns should be rendered to be neutral. It would make the language easier to learn too. Just my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
remember that mod who drew a comic thing about how to turn women into living toilets not the one who was a pedo this was a different one.. hot drat, mods sure are great

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nooner posted:

remember that mod who drew a comic thing about how to turn women into living toilets not the one who was a pedo this was a different one.. hot drat, mods sure are great

Wait, what?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nooner posted:

Remember when you got banned by Ralp but then Ralp got banned :c00l:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Wait, what?

axe maniac, former games mod

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
That's the guy that banned me when YCS was around wtf

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Didn't he also have a complete meltdown when Duke Nukem Forever wasn't good, to the point where the thread had to be nuked from the forums?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Beekeeping and You posted:

Didn't he also have a complete meltdown when Duke Nukem Forever wasn't good, to the point where the thread had to be nuked from the forums?

lol i hope so

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Deets man/lady, I need deets.

Edit: because the saclopedia is sorely lacking.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
this topic could be the only thing that makes nynorsk even worse than it already is in the future

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

VendaGoat posted:

Deets man/lady, I need deets.

Edit: because the saclopedia is sorely lacking.

Not safe for anything.

http://i.imgur.com/neBDjdj.jpg

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Not safe for anything.

I have so many questions.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The origin of "la toilette" explained

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

VendaGoat posted:

I have so many questions.

Well to get the obvious one out of the way. No it's not feasible. There's just no way to append the torso of a woman to a ceramic bowl with plumbing attached and still have both a functional toilet and living woman. It was pie in the sky poo poo then and it's pie in the sky poo poo now.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Well to get the obvious one out of the way. No it's not feasible. There's just no way to append the torso of a woman to a ceramic bowl with plumbing attached and still have both a functional toilet and living woman. It was pie in the sky poo poo then and it's pie in the sky poo poo now.

You got a chuckle out of me.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

How do you know

Did you try it

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

What in tarnation

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

from Reddit posted:

The imaginary outrage over assuming people's gender blows my mind. Every other reddit thread and so far once I've heard it from my flatmate there's this implication that non-binary people have unrealistic expectations regarding pronoun usage when this just isn't the case whatsoever.

Yes you will have some people having emotional reactions every now and then, but that comes from a place of being continuously misgendered day to day. If people consistently invalidated your identity, even though you know they aren't doing it intentionally, you *are* going to internally or externally become frustrated by this eventually.

I look at this from the angle of a shopkeeper. Say you own a store and you work the till, everyday someone walks into your store to buy something, and in this realm of analogy everyone who walks into your shop - and you receive many individual customers each day - they always pay £1 less than the asking price. Everyone does this and nobody will listen to you when you try and have people intervene.

From the shopkeeper's perspective they are routinely taken advantage of and this rightfully frustrates them. Why should they have to put up to this every single day, why does nobody treat them with enough respect to pay them the full asking price?

From the buyer's perspective, it doesn't mean much. It's only £1 they tell themselves, why would such a small thing get under someone's skin, especially when they're expecting it because of the £1-less-than-the-asking-price-normative society in which we live?

One day a brand new customer comes into the shop and pays £1 less than the asking price for their item. To the new customer this is a totally unique occurence between themself and the shopkeeper, but to the shopkeeper this is one more slight on top of thousands. The shopkeeper explodes, angrily demanding to be respected and paid the proper courtesy of paying the full amount for their product. They are unloading years and years of frustration onto the new customer.

The new customer, lacking an insight into the shopkeeper's world, becomes equally enraged. They feel they are being attacked. Nobody else pays full price, they think, why would you expect me to know I have to treat you differently?

And so the customer leaves, hops on reddit, and starts a "DID YOU JUST ASSUME MY PRICE TAG?!" meme, with no empathy for the position of the shopkeeper, who is routinely invalidated by the people who rip them off daily without a second thought.

In the case of non-binary people, this is the story behind everyone whose identity as non-binary is routinely invalidated by being misgendered. Because assuming people's gender based on appearances and a presumed gender binary is the norm, they think. Why should we expect a stranger to want to be referred to differently?

And it's that lack of verstehen - simply, the ability to put oneself in another's shoes - which leads to this faux-outrage at non binary people. NB people *expect* cisnormativity, but that doesn't mean going their whole life being invalidated isn't going to lead to at least one outburst in their lifetime.

In an ever-progressing society where our understanding of gender identity should be growing every day, the onus is not on non-binary people to just suck it up because that's how society is, the onus is on the majority groups in society to develop some awareness and extend a hand to those marginalised groups. If that means referring to everyone as they until you are sure of their identity (what a monumental task, right?) then that's what you must do. It's not "special treatment" or "pandering" - it's respect, empathy, and human decency; three things which supposedly are the glue that holds society together.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I've definitely read dumber analogies. I'm sure a guy like you could come up with something better than some copy/pasted Reddit bullshit.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

That's a really long winded way to say "I have autism"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this thread, she sucks

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
you can assume i'm whatever i don;t give a gently caress. just dont be surprised with what you get when you pm me asking for titty and/or dick pics.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

How did you even find this thread? No one has said tranny in here yet.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Nah, not happening. That twat can go cry about it.

ALONE.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Orkin Mang posted:

this thread, she sucks

that's a funny name for your mothers new boyfriend

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I've definitely read dumber analogies. I'm sure a guy like you could come up with something better than some copy/pasted Reddit bullshit.

How about getting mistaken for an employee every time you're in a Target? Everyone can relate to that on some level.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

You know...you could just ask people, "Do you know how it feels when someone mispronounces your name constantly? It's a lot like that." However, points for getting me to respond.

Also, here's a tranny for you.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

No one actually cares and no one will read that. In case you didn't know, the gendered pronoun outrage stuff is actually a typical meme, like how the French say sacre bleu.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Beekeeping and You posted:

Nuked as in deleted, not even gassed? Got a link? My review of the game angered 2k PR to the point where he had a Twitter meltdown and had to be fired. I would enjoy reading a mod meltdown along the same lines.

As for gendered nouns they are una problema grande. I wonder if there's a bunch of Spanish tumblrs ranting about them.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Let us English posted:

I wonder if there's a bunch of Spanish tumblrs ranting about them.

There is in fact a movement to adopt the term "latinx," since latino/a is tyrannical gender oppression.

Of course, the idea of a querulous super-minority getting to rewrite a thousand years of Spanish grammar to suit their whims might seem a bit imperialistic itself...

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
no one has ever explained to me how to pronounce latinx out loud, and my assumption is it's because these people don't interact with others offline so it never occurred to them

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Nooner posted:

brwnfarm.txt

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Noun classes are super cool and imo it's problematic to refer to them as genders which is a v phallocentric approach

Woden
May 6, 2006
Why did the recent American royalty awards have categories for 'actor' and 'actress' instead of male actress and female actress?

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
The obvious answer is no since the only people complaining about pronouns are stupid white people who can only speak English!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It's become a social minefield. My employees are constantly getting upset with me because I can't figure out which ones I'm supposed to call a bitch Vs who I'm supposed to call a dickhead.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Zorodius posted:

There is in fact a movement to adopt the term "latinx," since latino/a is tyrannical gender oppression.

Of course, the idea of a querulous super-minority getting to rewrite a thousand years of Spanish grammar to suit their whims might seem a bit imperialistic itself...

That would be a nightmare considering that even a simple Spanish sentence can have four gendered words in it. How would you even pronounce this? 'Estoy enfermx' doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zorodius posted:

Latinx sounds like a space empire

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
whats a gendered noun, precious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Let us English posted:

That would be a nightmare considering that even a simple Spanish sentence can have four gendered words in it. How would you even pronounce this? 'Estoy enfermx' doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

It's extra dumb because Spanish already has a gender-neutral word for latinos. That word is "latinos."

• Locked thread