Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Dr. Gregory House

2004 (guessing)

He's a diagnostic genius. But he doesn't trust anyone. He has an addiction. He treats people like simple puzzles instead of people.

Dr. Ironman Ironside

2007 (guessing)

He's an ENGINEERING genius. (Literally the worst kind. Might as well set that bone without morphine. You were bound to learn sooner or later.) But he has a hard time with women that aren't buxom deepthroat blackbelts. And he might die if his gizmo doesn't work sadface.

2007 (guessing)

Walter. White.

He's a chemistry genius. Granted, everyone loves him. I do too. But he wasn't too great at pursuing his passion whilst having a family. Also he probably dies at some point unlike some Iron People...

Mr. Robot

2015 (guessing)

He's a ~hacker~ genius. He does the hacks. He does the TCP/IPs. He rootkits you. But...sadly....he...wait- he also has a drug addiction? Uhhhhh "paging Fox, copyright department". Lol. He also takes the format to the most extreme level without being self-parody. Literally the massively capable autist that anon wishes they were.

Professor Ricardo Sanchelario

2015 (guessing)

Literally, literally - the smartest person in the universe multiverse. Rick Sanchez is a hilarious and brilliant alcoholic that has suffered through severe relationships/breakups and has difficulty connecting with other people. But he's also awesome. The liquid dribbling out of his mouth is not a reference to his chronic alcoholism. It's Harmon's cute way of saying "yeah, this character sucks his own dick - much like I do".

It's time for an HONORABLE MENTION

Fish

2004 (guessing)

Genius. Like....literally just a generic genius. His social flaws? None. He's the most charming character in the series, excluding T-bag. His only flaw is "he cares too much" (they actually devote an episode to it as a psychiatric disorder).

Still a good show, thanks to T-bag.

So - what's the point?

The point is, all these characters are the new Willy Lowman. We (as a whole) identify with them because "of course we're brilliant in some way" but "of course we have some quirks that prevent us from becoming the next Steve Jobs/Hawkings/King!"

Some fucker posted:

But but everyone already knows that!

Fine. Take the wind out my sails.

Do you think the pendulum is going to swing back in the next decade or so? Are we going to get sick of the misunderstood genius trope and instead set our watches to a football player's haircut?

You decide.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
what the gently caress is this thread supposed to be

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The modern "hero" is a a genius with social deficits.

It cashes in on the fact that everyone views themselves as tragically amazing in mental respects (which are awesome because I loving LOVE SCIENCE!) but also tragically terrible (which is okay because "I am quiet and I think cuddling and watching netflix is maybe sometimes fun").

Sorry, I shoulda made that clearer.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Back in my day heroes had big muscles and big dicks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also hate the gently caress out of these characters and they've made a ton of people loving insufferable.

Call me when you behave like Captain America.

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
Next is going to be an audio genius who can't stop melting panties until he has to listen to a recording of a sex tape and identify the voices for a TMZ payday.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

FaradayCage posted:

The modern "hero" is a a genius with social deficits.

It cashes in on the fact that everyone views themselves as tragically amazing in mental respects (which are awesome because I loving LOVE SCIENCE!) but also tragically terrible (which is okay because "I am quiet and I think cuddling and watching netflix is maybe sometimes fun").

Sorry, I shoulda made that clearer.

it's been around for a while but it's definitely becoming more repetitive and obvious, a generation of people who don't even read but still have some aspect of their personality based around being told they were unique and brilliant growing up is pretty easy to exploit

by 2025 the new hero of cinema will be a guy who reads books, but then rips huge farts and in the end decides to turn himself into the police for speeding and pay all the fines

i've actually heard mr robot is good but i refuse to watch it because it seems pathetic to enable people into thinking that them knowing how to upgrade their ram will enable some fantasy where eventually they determine the future of america, ie: more of the fight club ending scene.

i'm tired and not sleeping enough too, maybe i'll start a fight club and wipe the credit card debt! hyuck hyuck

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Hey pick, honest question, what do you have against a genius with social defects?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i decided to edit this

Nefarious 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 15, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stalizard posted:

Hey pick, honest question, what do you have against a genius with social defects?

I know a lot of people who think they're geniuses with social defects, and they're not particularly smart and they could fix their social defects at any time by not acting like a twat.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Hey pick, honest followup: why?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I liked Monk the defective detective he was cool

Exception that proves the rule

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

I know a lot of people who think they're geniuses with social defects, and they're not particularly smart and they could fix their social defects at any time by not acting like a twat.

So what's your excuse?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stalizard posted:

Hey pick, honest followup: why?

grad school

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

genius in an anthropomorphic squirrel costume

societal doom

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

dont give me this willie tugboat godot poo poo

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Pick posted:

grad school

Now you gotta tell us the field.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if your going to be a misanthropic genius dont wimp about about it, go all in. kids these days dont commit

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Rutibex posted:

if your going to be a misanthropic genius dont wimp about about it, go all in. kids these days dont commit

word

This is what makes Game of Thrones fun. Characters with depth and clear motivation that make them compelling without apologizing for their wanton lust for power and total disregard for human life.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Biggest problem I see with this list of people is that they all worked to get there, and I don't want to lift a finger for anything

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Err, they're all just versions of Sherlock Holmes, OP - Eccentric geniuses with poor personal skills.

Except Doom, of course. Doom is Doom.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serak posted:

Err, they're all just versions of Sherlock Holmes, OP - Eccentric geniuses with poor personal skills.

i think the trope may go back as far as Archimedes of Syracuse

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
Or Socrates, Buddha, Akhnaten, Enkidu... Probably it's millenials though.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

extra stout posted:

i've actually heard mr robot is good but i refuse to watch it because it seems pathetic to enable people into thinking that them knowing how to upgrade their ram will enable some fantasy where eventually they determine the future of america, ie: more of the fight club ending scene.

Who actually thinks this way??

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i made a lot of money by being the person saying "hey" in ythe background of a songs can you guess which one

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Toadvine posted:

Who actually thinks this way??

hi

cnut
May 3, 2016

I'm a genius. Well, maybe more of a "genius", lol.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I think Sheldon from The Big Bang Theorem is the most extreme form of this character type. Some may claim he's not meant to be a hero, but he really is.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Serak posted:

Except Doom, of course. Doom is Doom.

Except the original Holmes is not particularly eccentric and has good personal skills, with a network of friends and informants across the city and the ability to blend in disguise in multiple social classes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Dennis System posted:

I think Sheldon from The Big Bang Theorem is the most extreme form of this character type. Some may claim he's not meant to be a hero, but he really is.

sheldon is an anti-hero

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
look at this totally new thing youve discovered op. super insightful
*puts a gold star sticker on your forehead*

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

the mr robot man is a ver. good looking man did anyone else notice this

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

lonesomedwarf posted:

the mr robot man is a ver. good looking man did anyone else notice this

No

He looks like a gross dork in a hoodie

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

No

He looks like a gross dork in a hoodie

no joke i thought it was elijah wood and he's a gross dork

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Except the original Holmes is not particularly eccentric and has good personal skills, with a network of friends and informants across the city and the ability to blend in disguise in multiple social classes

Not particularly eccentric with good social skills? You read the ones by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle right?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Half of all people are above average.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

op u forgot about dexter from dexter's lab, and the german guy from archer

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
for once in my life i agree with that weird girl with a crazy dad, Pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU