Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I don't understand why people are so into Esports, which should probably not be considered a sport in the first place. It's not fun to sit around and watch somebody play video games for hours when you could be doing it yourself. At least with real sports you are seeing the worlds' best athletes do things that you can't possibly imagine doing yourself. I can't throw a football 50 yards to a precise location, but I can make Mario jump on a turtle.

Video games are cool. Esports are pretty dumb. Twitch personality should not be a profession, but in TYOOL 2017 it somehow is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
If you can't lift your own body weight you are worthless garbage

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
Lol, i am constantly lifting my own body weight

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

dead gay son posted:

but I can make Mario jump on a turtle.

Look at Mr. Tough guy over here thinks he's better than me because I can't make Mario do the thing? gently caress you pal. I'm coming for you.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

You're right, but also wrong in that watching real sports is also a waste of time

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Pube Factory posted:

Lol, i am constantly lifting my own body weight

No you're not

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Why do other people like different forms of entertainment than me? I think they're stupid.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
What if that turtle is really hard to jump on?

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
When I was young(er) I always hated waiting for my turn playing Nintendo with friends. Esports feel exactly like that.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i am an esports hall of famer

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Teikanmi posted:

i am an esports hall of famer

more like reeeeeeeesports

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Deadspin started an esports spin off site that desperately tries to make sweaty nerds pounding buttons seem exciting. It's still better than Deadspin itself, at least.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Esports is killing video games. Multiplayer games aren't allowed to be fun anymore, everything has to be super competitive and only accessible/enjoyable by people who are playing it like multiple hours per day. Back when games were simpler like Lords of the Realm 2 or Trophy Bass 2 you could play in tournaments and actually stand a chance without a huge amount of "skill" and people generally were friendly and wouldn't call you a "human being" every 5 seconds. Why can't games be like that anymore?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

people generally were friendly and wouldn't call you a "human being" every 5 seconds.

that's definitely not how I remember it

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
yeah I definitely remember Quake II and Tribes as very casual and friendly communities

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My favorite part of esports is the stock photo they take of all the players crossing their arms to look bad rear end in a sport where everyone is either severely underweight or overweight

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Cashews of chaos sound pretty good

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Back when games were simpler like Lords of the Realm 2 or Trophy Bass 2 you could play in tournaments and actually stand a chance without a huge amount of "skill" and people generally were friendly and wouldn't call you a "human being" every 5 seconds. Why can't games be like that anymore?

Same except instead of games it's "going out in public" or "visiting my own family"

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

all entertainment is a waste of time if u think about it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Esports is killing video games. Multiplayer games aren't allowed to be fun anymore, everything has to be super competitive and only accessible/enjoyable by people who are playing it like multiple hours per day. Back when games were simpler like Lords of the Realm 2 or Trophy Bass 2 you could play in tournaments and actually stand a chance without a huge amount of "skill" and people generally were friendly and wouldn't call you a "human being" every 5 seconds. Why can't games be like that anymore?

it's actually just the opposite, the need to get twenty million people hooked on your game and keep it popular and accessible is killing any serious attempt to make competitive games instead of compromised twaddle that doesn't really work for casuals either

games from the era you're talking about were actually much better for competition because developers weren't sophisticated enough to squeeze all the unintended depth out of Tribes or StarCraft: Brood War or whatever

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

This guy looks like he should be sponsored primarily by the manufacturers of shovels and lime.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

*decrepit old man voice*
In myyyyy day (says grandpa op while his dentures fall off like a pathetic fossil) WeeeeEeeE playyyeeeed the video game!!!! WeeeEeEE did NOT watch others play yh vidrogameeeee

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJfLKtGlfw

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I find most sports to be void of entertainment value, personally, but they generate jobs and money so I'm willing to tolerate them.

Hippity Hoppity
Mar 18, 2017

heh bleb bleb bleb

donate to the humane society
I think it was funny when ESPN hosted the dota 2 championship or something thinking people would watch it on ESPN instead of twitch. Also expecting someone who has no clue what dota is to watch several matches, what a brilliant plan.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
everything is a waste of time OP so i think you have a flawed premise

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Other than watching top level Koreans slug it out in Brood War, Esports are quite bland.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's actually just the opposite, the need to get twenty million people hooked on your game and keep it popular and accessible is killing any serious attempt to make competitive games instead of compromised twaddle that doesn't really work for casuals either

games from the era you're talking about were actually much better for competition because developers weren't sophisticated enough to squeeze all the unintended depth out of Tribes or StarCraft: Brood War or whatever

People say this but it isn't consistent with the reality I am experiencing. There was competition and rankings back then but the communities were much smaller and people tended to be more friendly since you probably all know each other. I only have experience with early strategy games (not starcraft, like LOTR2 and AOE) and and the aforementioned Trophy Bass 2, maybe it wasn't like that in FPS games :shrug:

Besides, my point was that games shouldn't be made to be competitive first before any other goal. They are entertainment, they should be fun.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

People say this but it isn't consistent with the reality I am experiencing. There was competition and rankings back then but the communities were much smaller and people tended to be more friendly since you probably all know each other. I only have experience with early strategy games (not starcraft, like LOTR2 and AOE) and and the aforementioned Trophy Bass 2, maybe it wasn't like that in FPS games :shrug:

Besides, my point was that games shouldn't be made to be competitive first before any other goal. They are entertainment, they should be fun.

actually, they are art.

but really, I think these two ideas of competitive and fun are not like mututally exclusive. Unless by competitive you mean purely the idea of making a game into something that would work great as an esports game. I.e. "ttrying to make an esports game", which is kind of a separate idea from just plain making a video game, IMO.

Because like, "competitiveness" is what makes video games what they are, and not just like fancy books or movies. The fact that you, the player, can lose the game, is one of the most significant defining features of the medium.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Bitch Boy Sports

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

actually, they are art.

but really, I think these two ideas of competitive and fun are not like mututally exclusive. Unless by competitive you mean purely the idea of making a game into something that would work great as an esports game. I.e. "ttrying to make an esports game", which is kind of a separate idea from just plain making a video game, IMO.

Because like, "competitiveness" is what makes video games what they are, and not just like fancy books or movies. The fact that you, the player, can lose the game, is one of the most significant defining features of the medium.

I mean competitive in the sense of esports - like everything lately has to have a ladder and a MMR and rankings. It takes a lot of the fun out of games when you just make it a "climb the ladder and get the cool symbol by your name" and little else.

e: In old games you could just filter out the overly good people by doing things like in AOE where you could just put "no rush 1 hr" or something. With matchmaking systems in things like hearthstone or SC2 or whatever you find people that are playing the same decks or doing the same builds as people several ranks ahead of where you are. You very rarely encounter other people that are truly "casual".

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 11, 2017

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

it's enjoyable to watch if you know what's going on, because you spend hours every day playing that same game
i quit playing dota and also quit watching it and now it's all different

baseball's rules don't change every 6 months and i get to use my rocking chair while listening to the game

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
*pushes glasses up* well I was CAL-IM in CS1.6 and was on several Everquest server first raids from Kunark through PoP. I also was on server first raids for MC in WoW, as well as qualifying pretty highly on the old PvP title ranking system....

But than I got a division 1 baseball scholarship and into a college strength program and girls started touching my penis alot and lol you loving nerds

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Competition is fun. There is absolutely nothing exclusive about those goals.

All I'm saying is games should have a clear purpose and audience in mind instead of trying to please everyone. Like any other form of art or entertainment games with a singular vision are way more interesting, and you'll have more fun with something that's designed to be what you wanted than with something that's triangulated to be just inoffensive enough that no demographic hates it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Competition is fun. There is absolutely nothing exclusive about those goals.

Not when you're constantly outmatched by even the lowest rank people because they all play several more hours per day than you are willing to. I guess my complaint is more about the matchmaking system than competitiveness in general.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I do not have a problem with E-sports though I think it qualifies poo poo is hard to play and perform well at.just cause younarent sweating doesn't mean m7chntbh. Like chess isn't a physical contest...idk ifnyounwould call it a sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Not when you're constantly outmatched by even the lowest rank people because they all play several more hours per day than you are willing to. I guess my complaint is more about the matchmaking system than competitiveness in general.

Honestly you'd find a lot of competitive diehards who don't like matchmaking either, although not for exactly the same reasons.

• Locked thread