Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Could it be done by another person? Are you just paid to sit around all day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I'm quite happy at my job drawing microscopes it's hard work but someone has to do it

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I can math

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Its not very easy tbh. I've seen way more people fail miserably at it than be adequate or even good. I've probably seen 2 other people I'd consider better than me over the last 5 years, out of dozens. Good for job security though, if youre good at it its obvious and they wanna hang on to you. Kind of a dead end job though, probably maxes out at $35 an hour if I stayed for 10 years which is pretty bad.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
The owner of my company said he would pay monkeys to do the jobs of the office staff if it were legal

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
For me, pretty easy

For any normal idiot off the street, the type of people I run into every day and cant figure out how they manage to live, very very hard

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
On a good day I'm payed to just sit around and be a house wife for a living (cooking, cleaning, emotional support, van driving for a group home)

On a bad day I'm payed to get spit on, hold down aggressive Autistic people, clean up bodily fluids/solids, get yelled at by pissed off parents and try my best to convince the higher functioning client of the house not to freak out and pull fire alarms / call 911 for no reason.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

For me, pretty easy

For any normal idiot off the street, the type of people I run into every day and cant figure out how they manage to live, very very hard

basically that, yeah

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ColoradoCleric posted:

Could it be done by another person? Are you just paid to sit around all day?

Yes and yes

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I basically do gently caress all during the day unless there is some kind of computer emergency. It's real easy.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Turned out the career choice I went with is actually immensely-stressful, difficult, and not really all that lucrative for the potential danger you can be involved with.

But I'm a broken-brained weirdo that somehow enjoys the challenge and cool gadgets so whatevs

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Turns out I hardly work at all, I just refresh and shitpost all goddamn day, even I can't tell the difference.

Hmmph.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My last job was awesome. Is walk into the office, put on Netflix, smoke a bowl and get paid

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sort of but changing to a new person would be a pain and definitely no.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I am very easily replaceable.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Supreme Allah posted:

For me, pretty easy

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Pretty loving hard except when its pretty loving easy. I cut down trees but also handle the management side of things in conjunction with the owner. Its a 7am - 7pm kind of gig more often than not.

Hard days involve turning 70 foot trees into wood chips. Easy days when I don't need to roll with the crew its a few hours of office work, yelling at rich property owners to pay us, dealing with real estate agent divas who treat me like I'm a retard who cant read.

I did a removal for someone once and they asked if we installed pools too. Like, what the gently caress? Thats when I realized many people just categorize anybody who works for a living a "worker," regardless of all the differences and skillsets. I'm just someone you can ask to do things because you have money. Cutting trees down, installing pools, HVAC, stonemasons...all just plebs really, ask us to do things and we probably will.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 28, 2017

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

1gnoirents posted:

Its not very easy tbh. I've seen way more people fail miserably at it than be adequate or even good. I've probably seen 2 other people I'd consider better than me over the last 5 years, out of dozens. Good for job security though, if youre good at it its obvious and they wanna hang on to you. Kind of a dead end job though, probably maxes out at $35 an hour if I stayed for 10 years which is pretty bad.

This sounds like dealership technician, which is actually awesome because that 35/hour can be as high as 80 hours a week depending on how efficient you are. Then, if you want even more money you become service manager

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
My job is definitely one that requires a certain set of skills.

Everyone talks. You just find the string and pull.

Some of my colleagues will grind away for six or seven hours, like a castrated dog humping a leg for old time's sake.

People want to tell their story. You just draw it out of them.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Thundercloud posted:

My job is definitely one that requires a certain set of skills.

Everyone talks. You just find the string and pull.

Some of my colleagues will grind away for six or seven hours, like a castrated dog humping a leg for old time's sake.

People want to tell their story. You just draw it out of them.

grizzled homicide detective?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, but sometimes I have to tow or fuel an airplane. But it's not so bad, I mean right now I'm posting

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
You people should get jobs in legal. You will be indispensible for knowing a very specific enterpretation of very specific lines of text.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everyone tells me how hard it is, but honestly I have found a pretty easy so far

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

videogame journalist

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also today I sat in my office reading the internet and took one phone call from accounting promising that they we're doing the task I wanted them to do.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Stexils posted:

videogame journalist

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hey welcome to the show! posted:

On a good day I'm payed to just sit around and be a house wife for a living (cooking, cleaning, emotional support, van driving for a group home)

On a bad day I'm payed to get spit on, hold down aggressive Autistic people, clean up bodily fluids/solids, get yelled at by pissed off parents and try my best to convince the higher functioning client of the house not to freak out and pull fire alarms / call 911 for no reason.

That is my nightmare

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
90% is mind numbing busy work that could easily be outsourced to a community college kid. 10% is sufficiently challenging that they actually need me and my elite skills.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Thundercloud posted:

Some of my colleagues will grind away for six or seven hours, like a castrated dog humping a leg for old time's sake

Oh man, this. If you're poo poo at identifying the source of an issue then you're just straight hosed, I don't care what you do for a living.

My coworker started the same day as me, we do the same job, and after 2 years he's only making 10% more than what he started at while I'm making almost 60% more plus promotions within the team.

Dude seems to spend 60+ hours a week cursing the gods that he can't get his workload completed sprint after sprint. Thank god he's on a separate subteam and isn't bringing my KPIs down.

Job isn't even that hard.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I bet my time could be spent better making a robot that does my job

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Supreme Allah posted:

prostitute

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I spend a lot of time dicking around, like right now, but my job involves a lot of research skills and interpretation that I've only learned through years of experience.

My job used to be 2 FT employees and a manager, then it got moved to my office where it was me and a manager. Then my boss moved on and I've just been doing the same work in about 2/3rds of my time and picking up other work.

If I were to leave it would absolutely be a 2 FT employee job until the new guy figures it out. But I've got most of it hotkeyed, macro'd, and pre-researched so I can fly through it.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My job involves lots of mind reading.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenHeart posted:

Turned out the career choice I went with is actually immensely-stressful, difficult, and not really all that lucrative for the potential danger you can be involved with.

But I'm a broken-brained weirdo that somehow enjoys the challenge and cool gadgets so whatevs

Are you Q from James Bond?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I work in dental hygiene. I administer local anesthesia, take and interpret x rays, chart and asses the health of a patient's dentition, clean, maintain, polish, place sealants, do root planing, and a bunch of other poo poo. It's very easy if you are trained and educated adequately, but that takes a long time.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
My job isn't technically complex, and all you need to do it well is a smattering of knowledge of industry guidelines, and just a bit of common sense - enough to think holistically about any given problem, and to get out of your own head a bit. But at least once a month I have to look after interns/work experience kids who are desperate to do the job that I do. Some of these people are in, or have just left very prestigious universities studying the exact job that they're interning at, and I honestly wouldn't trust them to sit the right way round on a toilet, let alone give them anything important to do.
It's an easy enough job, but it attracts a very particular kind of person, and oddly enough they are just the goddamn worst people for actually doing it. I also believe that a gently caress load of people who have never heard of my job, and wouldn't be interested in it anyway would be perfectly competent at it with a week of training.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

a bone to pick posted:

Are you Q from James Bond?

No, I'm a huge dumb idiot who joined the military to blow up things that also blow up.

On the plus side the robots are cool and helping out folks that found old WWII-era naval shells while plowing gives you a warm fuzzy feeling now and then

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Job difficulty is relevant it seems, for years I used to work extremely long hours and it was pretty intense poo poo, now I work half as much but it still seems really difficult and I don't know how I managed it before, but I bet if I went back to my old job it would feel normal again. Basically life is hard for a retard jacker

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
This guy is a real cutie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

almost a dozen people have tried doing my job but none for as long and successfully as myself. in the end, i am the one true batman - i am the batman

• Locked thread