Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
NaNoWriMo's here and I've decided to try out LitRPG. I know plenty of others are going to as well because it's the internet's best kept secret. I've never seen so many books by first time authors push 500 copies in a week before.

And just as a heads up, there's 50,000 EXP going to the first person who writes a LitRPG about someone roleplaying as Bernie Sanders, as long as his party includes Peter "Steele" Panther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just a heads up, encouraging people to kill themselves is prohibited in gbs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Wtf is a litrpg

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Yuli Ban posted:

NaNoWriMo's here and I've decided to try out LitRPG. I know plenty of others are going to as well because it's the internet's best kept secret. I've never seen so many books by first time authors push 500 copies in a week before.

And just as a heads up, there's 50,000 EXP going to the first person who writes a LitRPG about someone roleplaying as Bernie Sanders, as long as his party includes Peter "Steele" Panther.

Wtf

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Wtf is a litrpg

It's what you get when you sell your WoW logs and attach an unrelated cyberpunk dystopia at the start.

In all seriousness, it's like writing down a video game. Surprisingly addicting stuff.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

:(

Mike, we've been noticing that you've been having a lot of problems lately, and we're afraid that you're gonna hurt somebody, and we're afraid that you're gonna hurt yourself. So, we decided that it would be in your best interests if we put you somewhere where you could get the help that you need.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Oh so it's that ulillilia book

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

So, while Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is a fantasy novel, a book about people creating avatars and interacting in a Lord of the Rings MMORPG would be a LitRPG novel.[2]

my dude

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Of all the literature ever written, all the ideas put forward and the depths of humanity explored, you're going to spend your time reading about video game avatars?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer cybersex RP LitRPGs myself, 50 Shades of GUI was really erotic.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I actually own a copy of The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm not a huge fyad fan or anything but the nanowrimo threads in there are always gold

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Breakfast Feud posted:

Of all the literature ever written, all the ideas put forward and the depths of humanity explored, you're going to spend your time reading about video game avatars?

I mean, it's either gonna be that or gay Yeti erotica.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
honestly gay yeti erotica sounds better

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

certainly more socially acceptable

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
oh, so it's ready player one. great. just what i wanted more of. woo hoo

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
I'm not denying that, but there are only so many ways Sasquatch can impregnate the Honey Island Swamp Monster or write about how the two dads raise their cryptozoological child in the Himalayas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe they could move to hawaii instead and have tropical adventures?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

President Trump stepped up to the podium to address the nation. He had a particularly somber expression as he looked out over the quiet and subdued audience. Trump adjusted the microphone and sighed heavily. He tugged at his collar, buying time. Then a brief smirk came across his face and Trump leaned into the microphone, finally ready to speak. "I'm Bernie Sanders" he began, a smile creeping across his tired face. The crowd stared with eyes wide open, expectant and hungry. They knew what was coming next. "AND I WOULD HAVE WON!" Trump screamed. The crowd went wild with cheers of elation as chants of "BERNIE! BERNIE! BERNIE!" broke out.

Peter "Steele" Panther looked on from his private viewing room, far above the crowd. His forked tongue quickly darted out and back in, tasting the warm air. "All is happening as foretold." he hissed. "Lord Xenu will be most pleased".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
But what was his HP?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Thanks OP. I think i can safely speak for most of gbs when i say that i have to decline on the grounds that this all sounds dangerously retarded. Have you tried asking the imp zone?

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
So its wasting money on crappy authors you'll never read while complaining about how hard it is to be a writer and continuously and jerking off.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*check ops avatar*

yeah you seem like the kind of person that'd like that

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is that like a Choose Your Own Adventure?

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

Cubone posted:

:(

Mike, we've been noticing that you've been having a lot of problems lately, and we're afraid that you're gonna hurt somebody, and we're afraid that you're gonna hurt yourself. So, we decided that it would be in your best interests if we put you somewhere where you could get the help that you need.

all i wanted was a pepsi!

AND SHE WOULDN'T GIVE IT TO ME!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm going to write the most exciting novel about a charismatic American hero shitposting in GBS.

quote:

Sweat pooled at the seat of Colonel's chair as he typed his magnum opus. "I'm", the mechanical keys thundered like drums, " gay".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
shouldn't this be called RPG Literature instead? a literary RPG is like a Harry Potter D&D variant

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So this is for people who don't have enough friends to play rpgs with but are are too far down the gamer hole to write about anything else?

Between this and the haunted cartage creepypastas, I'm terrified what the next generation of publishing will look like. What's next three volume epics transcribed from twitch streams?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Still seems like an improvement over Sonic and Star Trek fanfiction of the yesteryear.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
He rolled the dice and then smirked at his companions. The fools had no idea that the very game they played held the world's fate on stake.

"Morons," he thought to himself.

"Okay," said Randy. "I know I'm just a master of the dungeon. But this time, I get the feeling the very fate of our world will be decided with this next dice throw. Tread carefully, my warriors."

"Oh no. Foiled again," thought the bad guy who was definitely not on the side of light!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
So its not an rpg meant to help you write? but to read?? i think the writing game sounds fun. are all the books nerd books? does fanfiction count?

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's not an RPG at all, bud. It's a literary genre where the writers write a story about a bunch of nerds playing role playing games.

This is literature at its peak. Dostoevsky was working towards this.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i want to read a novel about someone writing LitRPG

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
this thread is like a random monster encounter and I'm selecting the flee option

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Renaissance was a mistake

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Wtf is a litrpg

Lit B)

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
I'm reading the description of litrpg and have to keep going back over it because my brain just starts dying and now I'm severely retarded sedn helllp

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Looking forward to moving excerpts from future nobel prize winning novels talking about sick lvl ups in friendship and dildosmithing

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
LitRPGs are pretty gross but there is money in it (there are a few on Patreon that make a few thousand a month). There's a surprisingly big number of people who'll happily shell out money to you if you basically write down your MMO experiences with threadbare prose.

Bonus points if your characters literally talk about gaining experience points and 'leveling up'. It's fiction written by people who only really consume MMOs and anime. Basically, they probably think Ready Player One is high literature.

edit: The typical 'LitRPG' model is to publish chapters online (with Patreon bonuses) and then, every so often, publish collections as 'books' through Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Milky Moor posted:

Basically, they probably think Ready Player One is high literature..

The slippery slope is real

• Locked thread