Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
haha, remember back in the day when there was heavy computer. its really heavy and bulky. big like xbox. heavy like xbox. weighs 200+ lbs. you can squash bugs with the heavy computer. crush a human skull too. heavy computer is not for the faint of heart.

what are some heavy computers of yesteryear and what do u think are some heavy computers of today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i need Big Hands to use android sometimes. android requires man hands

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I got a friend a Sun 386i yesterday, it was pretty heavy

the top module has room for two full-height 5.25in SCSI devices

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
most heavy computer i ever done was an old HP file server. antique 832 thing with a 25mhz PA-RISC CPU. not a microprocessor, the cpu board has seven chips on it doing addition, multiplication, etc under big heat sinks.

had to disassemble and recycle it. good thing it had casters because it weighed 200 lbs. I saved the CPU card with the ROMs and so on.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I know someone with a pallet with two VAXstations 3100 and two VAXstations 3520 on it, including color framebuffers, in the Bay Area if anyone wants them

the VAXstations 3100 will probably just work but the 3520 may need some maintenance; the nice thing is, though, that they can all run VMS (for which you can get a hobbyist license) and the 3520 are dual-CPU

you could build a personal-use VAXcluster

eschaton fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 23, 2017

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6THTJW2LY

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

I know someone with a pallet with two VAXstations 3100 and two VAXstations 3520 on it, including color framebuffers, in the Bay Area if anyone wants them

the VAXstations 3100 will probably just work but the 3520 may need some maintenance; the nice thing is, though, that they can all run VMS (for which you can get a hobbyist license) and the 3520 are dual-CPU

you could build a personal-use VAXcluster

i want it, but i cannot take it

at least not until sometime this winter

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I may literally try to cram the 3520 units into the back seats of my car (they’re not that big) or maybe even the trunk, if they’ll lay flat

they don’t deserve to go to the dump and I’m sure that given time they will find a good home

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

comedy option: yosmas miracles

I will not pallet ship for yosmas, I will not pallet ship for yosmas…

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

https://www.instagram.com/p/36y_adBPK3/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's a heavy computer, op

you might even say it's...big iron

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I got a friend a Sun 386i yesterday, it was pretty heavy

the top module has room for two full-height 5.25in SCSI devices

very cool

eschaton, between this and the lispM posting, I think you and I would get along irl

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

i want it, but i cannot take it

at least not until sometime this winter

wuss

a 3100 is a microprocessor vax. it’s the size of a very small desktop pc. draws about as much power as a lightbulb.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
big tower big power

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

heavy, but it has multiple computer

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wuss

a 3100 is a microprocessor vax. it’s the size of a very small desktop pc. draws about as much power as a lightbulb.

3100's fine. the 3250s won't fit into my 8x20 storage unit, a good portion of which is already filled with old and funy computer.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the VAXstation 3520 isn’t that big, maybe the size of three full-size tower PCs lashed together

it’s closer to two-drawer file cabinet size than washing machine size, which is why I’m thinking I may be able to fit two of them in my back seat

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

eschaton, between this and the lispM posting, I think you and I would get along irl

well yeah, beards of a feather and all that

any time you’re out in the Bay Area beer and/or whisky can be made to happen

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
heavy computer is predujiced against disgustingly fat people who arent able to lift heavy computer into their house. only the fittest of people deserve the best and most cores

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
can you imagine accidentally dropping heavy computer on your foot? oweeee!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i moved a heavy computer today with a fork lift

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

i moved a heavy computer today with a fork lift

desire to know more intensifies

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:pwn:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i did a spit take until i read the tiny print in the corner

hpe bought sgi just to print these ads

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah that was my first thought when I saw it

"HP is really making the most of that SGI purchase"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so at this point,

HPE = HP + Apollo + DEC + SGI + Compaq

if only they’d bought Sun too eh?

(or realized the problem when “the #2 workstation company bought the #3 workstation company to become the #4 workstation company”)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

so at this point,

HPE = HP + Apollo + DEC + SGI + Compaq

if only they’d bought Sun too eh?

modern-day hpe wanted very badly to buy sun microsystems, and the pdfs leaked from the oracle v. hp settlements are amazing. the world which might have been. pour one out for our homies at sun

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/features/6-1623009.pdf

hpe had a hell of a vision with respect to sun assets. and i don't mean that in some kind of sarcastic corporate "vision" sense. i mean that the MBAs at hpe actually had a coherent plan to reshape the industry for the better, both for their own business and for customers.

oracle executed the sun acquisition competently, in that they achieved many of the economies of scale and scope they projected, but i feel the industry as a whole is impoverished by that particular outcome. hpe and ibm had more community-centric plans in mind :(

eschaton posted:

(or realized the problem when “the #2 workstation company bought the #3 workstation company to become the #4 workstation company”)

forget workstations

the #2 commodity server company bought #1. and their fusion created #2. fiorina was queen of scams. the woman left oracle under a cloud of fraud, and destroyed two american giants.

(lest we imagine it is strictly misogyny in the business press: meg whitman :love:)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

(lest we imagine it is strictly misogyny in the business press: marissa mayer :love:)

🤔

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Yeah but the Corsair 900 is actually very heavy and large. I mean it's not all trick perspective. I have the 750 and it almost didn't fit under my desk, I got like 2" to spare.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

fond memories of lugging a trinitron CRT to LAN parties :allears:

actually maybe not too fond

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

in college I had a computer tower that happened to have a handle on the top. not sure if it was ornamental or not, but it worked. I made a custom black denim carrying case that I could carry the whole tower in and also strap kb/m and lcd to the side, so I could lug the thing to lan parties and such.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

in college I had a computer tower that happened to have a handle on the top. not sure if it was ornamental or not, but it worked. I made a custom black denim carrying case that I could carry the whole tower in and also strap kb/m and lcd to the side, so I could lug the thing to lan parties and such.

i owned some of this crap lol http://www.geargrip.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

my pro Macs have had handles from my blue & white G3 through my 2008 Mac Pro

the G5/Mac Pro case would cut into your hands though, I know people who sanded theirs down slightly to be less sharp

• Locked thread