Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
remember maddox, the lovely blogger who proclaimed he was doing somethingawful a favor by selling lovely t-shirts?

he filed an angry lawsuit against lovely comedian dick masterson, lovely former frontpage writer asterios, some lovely guy called madcucks, and patreon

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=hMc6dSCWjp10863RGL0zWQ==

a decent summary of the poo poo going down:

https://www.popehat.com/2017/11/22/popehat-signal-ugh-really-ok-everyone-has-a-right-to-free-speech/

Popehat posted:

Let me preface this with my biases: I hate everyone in this case. I hate their ethos. I hate their culture. I hate how they pollute American discourse. Based on a representative sample I hate their fans. They are the groin flop-sweat of wretched post-modernity, the web's genetic-cul-de-sac Morlocks gaping dumbly at the slimy shrill-voiced megaphones of the parties to this case.

The case at hand involved "internet personality" George Ouzounian, known as "Maddox." Maddox has filed suit in New York state court, alleging a dog's breakfast of causes of action against defendants including other web personalities, their employers, web platform Patreon, one of Patreon's executives, and others. The heart of the case is a tiresome dispute amongst online "comics" who have various podcasts and publications. You can find (no doubt biased) backstories of the conflict places like here and here; they are every bit as incomprehensible and tedious as you would expect of obsessive chronicles of the drooling slap-fights of online trolls. The core of the complaint is the allegation that the defendants engaged in — or tolerated, or endorsed — a campaign of harassment against Maddox, a rival.

there's nothing like watching the worst people on the internet eat each other, yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
He was funny when he used to be a man.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I read the blog post you linked and it wasn't funny. Can someone link or summarize the funny parts

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
is he suing asterios for being a bad writer because he might actually win that suit lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tolkien minority posted:

I read the blog post you linked and it wasn't funny. Can someone link or summarize the funny parts

Sure:

quote:

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

quote:

They are the groin flop-sweat of wretched post-modernity, the web's genetic-cul-de-sac Morlocks gaping dumbly at the slimy shrill-voiced megaphones of the parties to this case.

what the gently caress is that even supposed to mean?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Vastarien posted:

what the gently caress is that even supposed to mean?

It means this internet nerd really hates them but he's not allowed to use any bad words or problematic insults

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I think I just gave his website the first hit in 10 years.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Can he sue Tucker Max and the year 2006?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would pay money to watch Tucker Max get beat up, but I would pay even more money to beat him up myself lol

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

some lovely guy called madcucks

:lol::lol::lol:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I am suing him for trade dress infringement on my other website, cucksmad

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

Can he sue Tucker Max and the year 2006?

Lets start a class action lawsuit

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hope 'Tax has Leonard J. Crabs on the blower for the upcoming battle

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
This is sad

Like pathetic sad, not emotional sad

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I wonder if any of this has to do with his third book not selling as well as he imagined.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EorayMel posted:

I wonder if any of this has to do with his third book not selling as well as he imagined.

third book? wtf

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

third book? wtf

First was Alphabet of Manliness

Second was I Am Better Than Your Kids

Third is Petty Essays From A Brilliant Mind

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
ugh

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

The gently caress is this writing style supposed to be? Is this supposed to be funny, informative or even understandable?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I Said No posted:

The gently caress is this writing style supposed to be? Is this supposed to be funny, informative or even understandable?

It reads like he's a lawyer, so the answer to all three is "no"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I Said No posted:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The lawsuit is great. There's a part where he mentions someone used his face but made to look like the devil to advertise a show they were putting on.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I don't remember feeling like I was having a stroke while reading articles back in 2007, to be honest.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

wait asteroids isn't a front page guy anymore? is it okay to start saying he's bad again

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I Said No posted:

I don't remember feeling like I was having a stroke while reading articles back in 2007, to be honest.

Yeah, I feel like this "snarky" superior writing style with bullshit phrases like "a dog's breakfast," big words, and bitching about post modernism has been around for ages (it was pretty much the AV Club house style), but has gotten worse in the age of clickbait.

I think it's a defensive adaptation taken on by lovely insecure nerds to shield themselves from criticism. They think they can get away with saying whatever dumb poo poo they want as long as they act like they were born with a bow tie and a little beard. I blame its rise on the prevalence of undisciplined freelance bloggers with nothing to say.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i use fancy words like indicia, then use words like gently caress to appeal to the masses & improve my street cred with, inter alia, gangstas

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

Orkin Mang posted:

i use fancy words like indicia, then use words like gently caress to appeal to the masses & improve my street cred with, inter alia, gangstas

I like my dank fuckin nugs to be indicia.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

How fancy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Orkin Mang posted:

I concur with whatever the gently caress those words mean

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
What is he suing them for exactly.

Is he claiming they stole his poo poo?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It reads like he's a lawyer, so the answer to all three is "no"

I'm pretty sure Popehat is/was a lawyer.

He has some really informative posts if you can get past his insufferable writing style. Armchair lawyers love his poo poo.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

maddox is deploying that oldest and most powerful of internet maneuvers, the streisand effect. now everyone is going to be harassing his dumb rear end

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Dick Masterson and Maddox are two different people?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
wow a guy who trades off being a basic abrasive rear end in a top hat under the guise of i'm-just-tellin-it-like-it-is "comedy" is in fact a thin skinned crybaby bitch, a story as old as time

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I got bored reading halfway down the lawsuit but it looks like maddox is generally claiming that a dude who cohosted with him used their brand to lambaste him and sold iconography representing him, his girlfriend, and his website in a negative way for money. Like if 4chan tried to monetize entirely off being "not something awful" and frequently used the logos with an x mark through them to gain recognition.

I don't know the whole backstory and how much merit his claim has, but there's the brief tldr.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 27, 2017

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Pretty much. It's basically "WAAAAAH they got successful and I DIDN'T even though he started on MY SHOW!!!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he's still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Breakfast Feud posted:

Pretty much. It's basically "WAAAAAH they got successful and I DIDN'T even though he started on MY SHOW!!!"

If that was a valid cause of action the forums would never worry about money again.

• Locked thread