Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut Butler

oh boy oh howdy oh geez how much I love having my head filled with things I cannot stop thinking about and are terrible

anyone else just circling a pit of rumination and just, oh gee oh wondrous times, loving it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got fired from Snopes
No brain you're right, i didn't want to sleep anyway.

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
I've had the phrase "was für ein" stuck in my head for two days. It's just a fragment meaning "what kind of." It's like having a song stuck in your head except much more boring.

Peg Sliderskew
I enjoy when my brain wakes me up and starts to think about all the times in my life I made a sub-optimal choice. It's like getting extra life lessons or at least revision sessions.

Courtesy of Manifisto

Koishi Komeiji

hockey jockey posted:

I enjoy when my brain wakes me up and starts to think about all the times in my life I made a sub-optimal choice. It's like getting extra life lessons or at least revision sessions.

When that happens just remember what happened differently. If you called your teacher mom in the fourth grade in front of everyone just remember that you actually rode into class on a skateboard Bart Simpson style and did a cool kick flip. Works for me, the coolest guy in the world. :cool:

FactsAreUseless

Are you doing therapy/meds OP? Intrusive thoughts are a pretty nasty form of OCD but they're treatable.

a glitch

no wait stop

Yeah, pure-o OCD is loving nasty stuff and is worth getting checked if you think you have it.

It took tons of meds, multiple hospital stays and over a year of therepy and I still get panic attacks :(

Duckbox

Eh, it's not just OCD -- depression/anxiety/insomnia/boredom/loneliness/drugs can cause do weird rear end poo poo to your thought processes.

I'm a pretty mild sadbrain these days, but I can still tell when I haven't been getting out enough lately because I'll start day dreaming a lot and random songs/sentence fragments/vague feelings will just pop into my head out of nowhere.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

my favorite intrusive thought is that time i embarrassed myself in front of ~a boy~ in band in 7th grade by falling off of my seat. i played contrabass clarinet in concert/orchestra. he laughed at me.

i keep reminding myself he's stuck in that tiny-rear end town, had three kids in high school and dropped out, plus he's kinda gross. doesn't help it tho lolololol i still get great panic waves about it.

meds helped me quite a bit, though, with knocking down the pattern of intrusive thoughts--instead of crumpling in a ball for two days with horrible ideation, now i just crumple in a ball for a couple of hours with horrible ideation, then i can go out and do other poo poo, instead. neat. also seconding therapy, because holy poo poo my therapist is a treasure.

cda

by Hand Knit
*trie s hard to think of a way to make a funny in thsi thread without upsetting anyone*

*hours later still tjinking about it and can't stop*

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit
every thought is an intrusion on silence and nothingness

----------------

little munchkin
personally i think it's good when my body badly needs rest but my brain tells me it's a better idea to read wikipedia articles about the holocaust at 3 AM

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah this is basically my whole life:

Shocking forceful recollection of that embarrassing mistake I made 20 years ago and/or last night.

A half hour to several weeks of self flagellation as I rotisserie the bad memory in my head and imagine my embarrassment from every possible perspective and angle.

Slow, painful acceptance that life is imperfect and I have to stop doing this to myself. What is wallowing in self pity if not an embarrassing personal mistake...

Rinse and repeat. Occasionally this step involves chickening out from under the path of a freight train locomotive at the last possible second, but not as much lately, so that's good.

cda

by Hand Knit
imo this is what irony is for

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
remember in seventh grade when sally pinsky called me ten pounds of poo poo in a five pound bag? well that was actually good and i loved it, and it's good to be poo poo in a bag

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
buy me. i am marked at the five pound poo poo bag price, but you get double for free

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

Pff, who needs grapes? They were sour anyway!

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

hamjobs posted:

my favorite intrusive thought is that time i embarrassed myself in front of ~a boy~ in band in 7th grade by falling off of my seat. i played contrabass clarinet in concert/orchestra. he laughed at me.

i keep reminding myself he's stuck in that tiny-rear end town, had three kids in high school and dropped out, plus he's kinda gross. doesn't help it tho lolololol i still get great panic waves about it.

meds helped me quite a bit, though, with knocking down the pattern of intrusive thoughts--instead of crumpling in a ball for two days with horrible ideation, now i just crumple in a ball for a couple of hours with horrible ideation, then i can go out and do other poo poo, instead. neat. also seconding therapy, because holy poo poo my therapist is a treasure.

How do you even find one?

----------------

Twenty Four

I think this is normal? Maybe I am wrong but I think everyone gets this, just maybe some of us (me) more often then others (and worries about stuff way more).

Duckbox

little munchkin posted:

personally i think it's good when my body badly needs rest but my brain tells me it's a better idea to read wikipedia articles about the holocaust at 3 AM

Yeah, I'm moving in a couple days and haven't done much packing yet so this has been me every night for like two weeks.

Koishi Komeiji

cda posted:

remember in seventh grade when sally pinsky called me ten pounds of poo poo in a five pound bag? well that was actually good and i loved it, and it's good to be poo poo in a bag

With the price of fertilizer going through the loving roof, I don't see how this can be construed as anything other than a glowing compliment.

Peanut Butler

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you doing therapy/meds OP? Intrusive thoughts are a pretty nasty form of OCD but they're treatable.

yeah I do DBT
its not the constant deluge of lovely brainstorms like when I was in my 20s, but every 8-16 months or so I'll have like a weekend of "what up, here's an internal Ludovico covering [ruminations on failure usually]" and coping with it mostly involves mindful allowance of feeling and getting out and being around ppl as much as can

Duckbox

Have you tried drowning it out with mindnumbing repetitive tasks like playing video games and browsing forums?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
you can do it.
Me: huh... what?
I'm your intrusive thought. You can do it!
Me: Wait- aren't you supposed to be oppressing me or something?
not necessarily. I can motivate you, too!
Me: But what if I...
don't sweat it. You'll do great!
Me: But I...
NO! Enough self-doubt! I believe in you, ergo you must believe in you! After all, I AM you
Me: Alright, but if I don't do it...
you'll only have yourself to blame.
Me: Hey! That's right- thanks, me!
You're... I mean, *I*... no, WE'RE welcome!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Peg Sliderskew

cda posted:

buy me. i am marked at the five pound poo poo bag price, but you get double for free

Today I am mostly thinking 'Drop of a hat, lalalalala, playful as a pussycat, Killer queEEN!' Going to follow cda's example and be proud that my earworm is a true classic.

Courtesy of Manifisto

Duckbox

hockey jockey posted:

Today I am mostly thinking 'Drop of a hat, lalalalala, playful as a pussycat, Killer queEEN!' Going to follow cda's example and be proud that my earworm is a true classic.

David Bowie is gonna haunt you now.

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

hockey jockey posted:

I had Cher's "Turn Back Time" stuck in my head for a week, ten days recently. Which, all in all, was not too bad a song choice.

----------------

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
I am dreaming crypto currency prices... the scary part is they actualy match when I wake up.

<3 <3 Vanisher

SIDS Vicious

I love when I start thinking about the one time I asked a girl out in grade 6 and how she made fun of me and then the whole class started laughing at me, especially at 3 am when I have to work at 7!

Scaly Haylie

hi sid

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

Sid Vicious posted:

I love when I start thinking about the one time I asked a girl out in grade 6 and how she made fun of me and then the whole class started laughing at me, especially at 3 am when I have to work at 7!

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

----------------

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

cda posted:

every thought is an intrusion on silence and nothingness

this but not ironically

----------------

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I tried to meditate, but kept thinking about how a mind reader would think I was pretty dumb if they read my mind while it was devoid of thought and was too shy to continue

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
A mind reader: "I've had it up to here with your unwanted/intrusive thoughts!"

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hugh Malone posted:

A mind reader: "I've had it up to here with your unwanted/intrusive thoughts!"

Mind-readers must have to try really hard to keep cool when they walk into the room and there's a regular, conversational murmur of regular thoughts in the crowd, but one guy at one table is screaming "You'll never be good enough you could have killed them Johnny you could have killed them you'll never be good enough" at the top of his brain-lungs. Nobody else is staring at him, you have to try not to too.

Sig by Heather Papps

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i have found my meditation practice quite helpful in this regard

i still have all kinds of unwanted and intrusive thoughts but its easier to just open the hand of thought and let them go

at least it feels like it maybe im just getting old and boring :shrug:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Mind-readers must have to try really hard to keep cool when they walk into the room and there's a regular, conversational murmur of regular thoughts in the crowd, but one guy at one table is screaming "You'll never be good enough you could have killed them Johnny you could have killed them you'll never be good enough" at the top of his brain-lungs. Nobody else is staring at him, you have to try not to too.

Peg Sliderskew

Duckbox posted:

David Bowie is gonna haunt you now.

I can't see his wispy wraith fighting its way through all the spectres of my past if I'm honest.

Courtesy of Manifisto

Peanut Butler

mines calmed down to a "hey peanut butler remember this thing that upset you?" "no thx not right now and really its fine but I'm trying to defrost my car rn buddy"

you ought to be nice but firm to the lovely voice, since it is you also and you deserve love from yourself!

my nose is dripping once every fifteen seconds, though, and I can't sleep for the congestion and whatever virus is causing this is NOT me so gently caress off, virus (keep working it tho, immune system, I understand why u gotta do what u gotta do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

drilldo squirt posted:

How do you even find one?

literally word of mouth, a lot of talking to my GP and my previous therapist for good recommendations, and talking to my other similarly brainfucked friends. boyfriend actually helped me find the one i'm going to start going to--she's highly recommended by my old therapist, too, which loving owns unironically.

also my GP is happy to work with my psychiatrist, and they're all within a few blocks of each other, which is nice since i like to walk to decompress before and after therapy as part of the processing. finding something like that--a place where you can walk and decompress--within a short distance of a great therapist is basically black magic, afaict.

• Locked thread