Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
so now that the decade has only 2 years left to prove itself, what do you think of the 2010s so far?

does this bitch have anything left to surprise us with? what will this piece of poo poo decade go down in history as? what will we remember, and will this decade influence the coming times like previous decades are remembered as doing?

if you ask me, i don't think there's anything special about the 2010-2020 period as much as there's anything special about the 2008-2018 period. both of them are decades all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

2000's-2010's don't really feel as strictly defined as like the 1970's or 80's, but they are when you think about it. Who the gently caress knows.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
all decades since the 60s start in the 2nd year. 62-71, 72-81, 92-2001(like 3 months early), 2002-2011. We've got four more years left of this bitch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
tRUMP!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
just picture a pig eating its own living entrails, and the pig is us

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Zorodius posted:

just picture a pig eating its own living entrails, and the pig is us

it's also the pig with poop on his balls

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
2000 -2009 brought us apatow movies, step bros, and tropic thunder.

i always used to think tropic thunder was too retarded to watch but it's actually just the right amount of retarded.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Linux Pirate posted:

2000's-2010's don't really feel as strictly defined as like the 1970's or 80's, but they are when you think about it. Who the gently caress knows.
nah 2000-10 was very defined, especially such a drastic 180 turn away from the 90s which feels pretty well defined so that contrast rather sticks out.

patriot act and gross violations of human rights and gladly giving away all privacy, PMC poo poo, numetal as an outlet for impotent feeling-helpless aggressive, electronic-pop n dubstep and stuff, lovely comedies churned out by the dozens, rise in always-online connectivity with phones and social media relations

probably 10-20 is murkier as its not really a lot different than 00-10, except going even more in the corpo-fascist direction

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
pop music started to recover after the disastrous 2000s and then plummeted off a cliff again

scott zoloft posted:

2000 -2009 brought us apatow movies, step bros, and tropic thunder.

i always used to think tropic thunder was too retarded to watch but it's actually just the right amount of retarded.
it's really good

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i wont remember them because i was high off of weed for the entire decade

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dont know about rest of world but as far as America goes: Obama, Trump, Black Lives Matter, the alt-right, expansion of LGBT rights. Outside of politics, there's entertainment poo poo like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which i think will define this decade since its popularity will probably recede in the 2020s, and all the lovely remakes and reboots.

I think it would help if we knew what defined the 2000-2010 decade. I've noticed people just sort of lump the 2000s and 2010s together as just "the 2000s".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The 2000s are going to be defined as the transition from a powerful late-20th-century America to a less powerful but still significant nation to, circa 2050, a protectorate of the Undying Empire of Guatemala.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
idon't want any of you millennials to get it twisted. 2010-2018 is markedly shittier than 2000-2009.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Hell Yeah posted:

i wont remember them because i was high off of weed for the entire decade

Same but I’ve been drunk. Feel like I went to the store to get a case of beer and now Obama’s isn’t president and trump got elected and gave me a nice tax cut.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
well one thing is that american presidents are so culturally symbolic, it feels like the culture moves with them; and people think about eras in these terms. but it's also a chicken and egg situation where you don't know which one comes first.

when i think of 2000s music i think of creed and nickelback, vaguely christian, inspirational, conservative post-9/11 stuff; i also think of bush. then obama in 2008 and lady gaga gets really popular circa 2009-2010. rihanna and beyonce, etc.

now we're stuck with trump and taylor swift for awhile.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

decay

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
This is the decade of memes

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
here are three in the top five songs right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0mxQXmLsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UceaB4D0jpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdYFuCp3m9k

the songs are good but it's pretty downcast stuff

there's also ed sheeran whose songs have been described as sexy, sad ... and homesick! quite a combination.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

sexy, sad ... and homesick!

The word is saudade

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Fast

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

The word is saudade
oh my

and hey wait a minute. hasn't hip hop generally also gotten emo?

we're talking about american culture here. but american culture is flat bummed out.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

oh my

and hey wait a minute. hasn't hip hop generally also gotten emo?

More like mumbling

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2IttXFBYxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbfK7dei7ec

grim

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hip hip took all the wrong lessons from that tyler the creatpr album

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is a cry for help

WAKE UP PEOPLE

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is #9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ub7Etch2U

holy crap. i don't follow any of this stuff. i've got my own curated playlists and everything. this is worse than i imagined.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

this is #9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ub7Etch2U

holy crap. i don't follow any of this stuff. i've got my own curated playlists and everything. this is worse than i imagined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb24RrHIbFk

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is a great song but :suicide:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

prolly will be known as "The Time Before The Great Dark" altho it won't really roll off the tongue

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
Poop emoji.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
teal and magenta

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
everything on from 2000 is just going to turn into generic mediocrity

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Worst decade since WWII. How will we remember to 2010s? One word: PROBLEMATIC!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
it started off pretty gay and retarded and got to where you couldnt call things gay and retarded anymore

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Either the beginning of the end for North American stability/prosperity, or "the bottom of the barrel but only goes up from here." Ditto for environmental issues.

(Anyone else spent most of the decade between jobs/unemployed? That situation is where a 2006 English degree and a few years of an electrical apprenticeship got me so in November I went to truck driving school in order to have more prospects, or at least more steady work.)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

it started off pretty gay and retarded and got to where you couldnt call things gay and retarded anymore

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
what's the distinctive fashion of this generation?

is it the basic bitch look and yoga pants?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
In 2019 an all seeing orb will rise from the center of the earth and enslave mankind with telekinesis making the rest of the decade seem pretty trivial.

The_end
May 17, 2014
The year i started stockpiling firearms and ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Drive

• Locked thread