Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
(soundtrack for thread) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5HQjHcKsSY

Age of Empires....wow. What a concept

This is the best game ever made. There is nothing wrong with it. Until the third one, that one sucks.

I learned more about ancient civilizations from that game then I ever did from my lovely middle school education. Thanks Trump
Shang? Yamato? Minoans? who the gently caress is that??

Age of Empires will tell you.

sometimes when campaigning hard and not wanting to close the game for fear my computer would crash, I would leave the poo poo open, and I would fall asleep to the primeval tunes of bare-chested men chopping wood above thrumming bass notes and drums

Age of Empires.....play it

live it

experience it

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
wololo

edit: start the game already

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
birdimon

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Lol @ anything published by M$

Linux ftw

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

Lol @ anything published by M$

Linux ftw

kabbadacus

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Sounds cool. Maybe I'll play it after I'm done playing MGS 5 for the second time.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I took the fold-out info sheet that came with Age of Kings with all the tech trees and civ abilities on it to school with me and in PE i would sit on the bleachers with it wrapped completely around my head.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i bought civ V and smashed my computer up about 20 minutes in clicking around the UI, nothing exciting ever happened

is this game more retar--- cool normal person friendly?

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
That Empire Earth game was a good spiritual sequel, since you could have snipers, robots, and cannons, but nothing ever beat AOE 1 and 2. Well, the original Total Annihilation was pretty good too.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like total annihlation because im really good at it

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
red alert 2 or bust

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
If we play total annihilation i will win, i dont care who you are

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I never played Empires, but I did play Mythology. First time I played it was after the lady-type bought a copy for me after she found out I'd never played it.

I was...the Vikings or something and was still trying to figure out the UI and options and stuff when she burst into my base with a full Egyptian army and murdered me :smith:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

aoe2 is the greatest rts ever made

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Skypie posted:

I never played Empires, but I did play Mythology. First time I played it was after the lady-type bought a copy for me after she found out I'd never played it.

I was...the Vikings or something and was still trying to figure out the UI and options and stuff when she burst into my base with a full Egyptian army and murdered me :smith:

She’s a keeper

I grew up playing aoe. Every day I’d come home from school and play the first level in the Babylonian campaign because it was my favorite.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
You played two hours to die like this?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

She’s a keeper

I grew up playing aoe. Every day I’d come home from school and play the first level in the Babylonian campaign because it was my favorite.

She's a nightmare in strategy games. In Civ V, she was a hyper aggressive imperialist, just pooping out settlers to claim as much land as possible. She didn't care about Happiness penalties, she just gunned for as many resources as possible so she could sell them to everyone else and make people reliant on her for supplies.

One time, she and I were playing with another friend. He and I went to war early on and she spins in her chair to face me and says, "Hey. I will sell you a couple of my unique unit for 150 gold. You're short on siege units and need them." I agreed.

When our armies collided, I realized he had her unique units too. She had sold them to both sides of the war! When he realized what she was doing, he sued for peace with me and redirected his forces toward her. She slammed down a new city and the territory claimed split his army in half - trapping most of his siege units behind enemy lines. Without sailing tech, he couldn't get away. He made a gambit to go to war anyway, but all of his units were within range of multiple cities so she just bombed his entire army to dust in a couple rounds

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Skypie posted:

She's a nightmare in strategy games. In Civ V, she was a hyper aggressive imperialist, just pooping out settlers to claim as much land as possible. She didn't care about Happiness penalties, she just gunned for as many resources as possible so she could sell them to everyone else and make people reliant on her for supplies.

One time, she and I were playing with another friend. He and I went to war early on and she spins in her chair to face me and says, "Hey. I will sell you a couple of my unique unit for 150 gold. You're short on siege units and need them." I agreed.

When our armies collided, I realized he had her unique units too. She had sold them to both sides of the war! When he realized what she was doing, he sued for peace with me and redirected his forces toward her. She slammed down a new city and the territory claimed split his army in half - trapping most of his siege units behind enemy lines. Without sailing tech, he couldn't get away. He made a gambit to go to war anyway, but all of his units were within range of multiple cities so she just bombed his entire army to dust in a couple rounds

keep going

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I would play it with my friends and our rule was that we would just let each other build the most advanced troops/calvary/siege weapons and when we were done just smash them against each other. Trying to get 300 apm or whatever is lovely and spergy and generally why I don't like the genre.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Kak posted:

I would play it with my friends and our rule was that we would just let each other build the most advanced troops/calvary/siege weapons and when we were done just smash them against each other. Trying to get 300 apm or whatever is lovely and spergy and generally why I don't like the genre.

i just play age of empires 2 with my friends

i dont know what apm means

sometimes we just team up against the AI

its fun

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
actions per minute

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
every time i go to the ocean i get autistic-level thrills from hearing the surf crash against the shore because it reminds me of when i made a new fishing boat

in Age of Empires

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
anybody else get sublime satisfaction from using a monk to capture an enemy transport ship and then just sink it, killing them all

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

I'm trying to think of other funny stuff she's done in Civ. One time she almost won as Venice by quietly buying UN votes from city states to declare herself god-empress of the planet. In Civ 6, she turned an archipelago into a death gauntlet that would make the Japanese proud.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
AoE is good but 1 + 2 's AI can be easily borked because they won't attack building footprints you put down and have done 0 work on but they also can't path through it. So run your scout in and then plot down a bunch of poo poo around their town center and bam they can't collect resources.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Go back to beating on defensless AIs you sick techno phobic freak

Or I mean.. dont

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Age if Empires Online was pretty fun and I was sad when it went tits up.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think I still have the manual for this game.

Do they have an HD remake like they do for 2? I'd buy it.

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
i've been trying to talk my friends into a completely blind free for all game of 0 A.D.--which is basically a free remake of age of empires--and i've been getting no traction. it's annoying because i bet it would be fun as hell

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Catpants McStabby posted:

That Empire Earth game was a good spiritual sequel, since you could have snipers, robots, and cannons, but nothing ever beat AOE 1 and 2. Well, the original Total Annihilation was pretty good too.

I loved that loving game and I wish it would work right on newer systems. ONLY the first one, because I'm weird like that.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Wicker Man posted:

I loved that loving game and I wish it would work right on newer systems. ONLY the first one, because I'm weird like that.

Empire Earth loving ruled for the giant loving maps you could play on for epic 6 player wars, and the nukes

but it was also a bit unwieldy in its size and scope, which is why AoE edges it out in my opinion

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
i'm listening to the AoE soundtrack and there are a lot of songs in this that never play in the game. And they own

i want to stab a sword into a dudes face just listening to this poo poo

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone wanna play total annihilating

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
In AoE2 you can do cool stuff in the campaign editor like make unique units with custom names and stats. Unfortunately the interface is a nightmare to work with and they did not improve it with the HD remake.

My main beef with AoE2 on Steam is that multiplayer games always become laggy to the point where it is unplayable or crashes.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

poopnanners posted:

In AoE2 you can do cool stuff in the campaign editor like make unique units with custom names and stats. Unfortunately the interface is a nightmare to work with and they did not improve it with the HD remake.

My main beef with AoE2 on Steam is that multiplayer games always become laggy to the point where it is unplayable or crashes.

I used to love to make custom scenarios as a kid. Each one id learn new tricks that I’d use to better the next.

They were all terrible.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

please post a gif warning next time op, thanks

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

really queer Christmas posted:

I used to love to make custom scenarios as a kid. Each one id learn new tricks that I’d use to better the next.

They were all terrible.

i once made a custom campaign that re-created the movie "Braveheart" scene for scene, down to each line of dialogue

I only got up to the part where Wallace meets with the princess before i got tired and scrapped the project

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

if that part is right at the start, then lol, i think i understand the joke good one. i dont remember breaveheart all that clearly though so if youre saying you made it to this one part of the movie film and its really a part thats reallyt close to the beginning, then i can dig it man, nice 1

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zippy the Bummer posted:

anybody else get sublime satisfaction from using a monk to capture an enemy transport ship and then just sink it, killing them all

thats dumb you should keep it alive because it takes up their population and you sail it into their los and put it on patrol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

poopnanners posted:

yeah i was just about to comment on that. for all the new civs/graphical updates and poo poo the netcode is garbage. im talking 1-2 seconds latency minimum

• Locked thread