Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://tech.co/3d-printed-tiny-homes-housing-crisis-2018-03

quote:

Building a home takes a lot of money, time, and planning. Between soaring construction costs, dwindling available land, and worrying about whether or not you absolutely need that breakfast nook, building a home can put some serious strain on your financial and mental health.

These high costs and lengthy build times have created a housing crisis for entry-level homes, preventing an entire generation from setting up a stable life.  Fortunately, thanks to innovations in 3D-printing, there might be an easy fix.

Slow, expensive construction projects and bureaucratic red tape combine to make new builds a nightmare. But, affordable, 3D-printed tiny homes can help.

ICON is thinking ahead on this score. As it debuted the technology at SXSW, it wasn’t just building a tiny home — it was building the “first permitted tiny home in the US.” Regulations since the 2008 financial crash have hindered meaningful growth in the home-ownership space. Having a fast, affordable option that can bypass all the red tape easily could make a huge difference for people in the US looking for a tiny starter home.

http://www.wral.com/millennial-buyers-turning-to-tiny-homes-in-shaky-housing-market-/17423873/?comment_order=forward

quote:

Down a narrow gravel road, Peter Chachaj stood outside in 40 degree weather last week. His hands were shaking, but grappling with the cold weather was worth it because he has waited three years to move into his new tiny home.

His new house, which is painted in shades of gray and rolls on six wheels, has opened a new frontier of home living for him and his family.

“My wife and I chose to do this for financial freedom,” Chachaj said. “And just do what we want to do, which is live our lives, maybe not work as hard or as many days a week, travel little bit more, (and) see what there is to see and not be cooped up inside all the time.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A tiny house would be sweet. What is the appeal of a big massive house if you are by yourself or 1 other person?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't really know much about tiny homes but I've heard there are zoning issues all over the place. But check this guy out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The_end
May 17, 2014

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

A tiny house would be sweet. What is the appeal of a big massive house if you are by yourself or 1 other person?

Having a dedicated room for certain activities like eating sleeping and making GBS threads. Unlike a tiny house where you do all that in one room.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

This guy was just crazy because you can get a mansion on an acre of land for next to nothing in Zebulon, NC!

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
There's something about the dude that makes me want to punch him, repeatedly.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_end posted:

Having a dedicated room for certain activities like eating sleeping and making GBS threads. Unlike a tiny house where you do all that in one room.

Can I get an attached 3 car garage?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

El Padrino posted:

I mean, that IS the look he was going for.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The_end posted:

Finally I can poo poo and make waffles at the same time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
They keep them on wheels to avoid property taxes and scoot away if a brown person moves in. There's no 'wanderlust' in play.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Burt Sexual posted:

I don't really know much about tiny homes but I've heard there are zoning issues all over the place. But check this guy out.

hipster, cuck, snowflake, entitled etc.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The lighting really makes that concrete shed look attractive. I’m sure that guy stores plenty of unicycles in it.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

It is actually a kind of cool idea. Imagine sending some 3d printers to mars where they start making GBS threads out cookie cutter houses for the frontierspersons to live in

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
I dig the cuck shacks.

Shackle me up, cuck-styl in the world

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

hipster, cuck, snowflake, entitled etc.

She kicks his rear end everynight in the single room shack's pull down bed.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Where are 3d printed houses on the straw-wood-brick -scale, ie how badly can a wolf gently caress them up?

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

It's called a trailer

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

also having 2 dogs is a huge expense. worse even than avocado toast.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lacey posted:

It's called a trailer

A trailer is not small enough...it must.be..super minimalistic.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This is just the next step on the hipsterization of all things redneck. A few years ago they latched onto drinking PBR. Now it's living in trailers. Are they going to ironically like wrestling and fishing now?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Little dwellings. On wheels, so you can go places with them.

Aren't those called Trailers and RVs?

Edit: drat, beaten like a rented mule

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

canyoneer posted:

This is just the next step on the hipsterization of all things redneck. A few years ago they latched onto drinking PBR. Now it's living in trailers. Are they going to ironically like wrestling and fishing now?

I just gotta get guns into their hands while they're drinking a flight of IPAs and they will be bona fide trash like me

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Leave it up to hipsters to re-invent trailer parks.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

They keep them on wheels to avoid property taxes and scoot away if a brown person moves in. There's no 'wanderlust' in play.

^^^ also lol they’re in NC. there’s no need for them to live in the most inefficient housing, just rent or get a loving apartment

Icochet posted:

Where are 3d printed houses on the straw-wood-brick -scale, ie how badly can a wolf gently caress them up?

straw unless they shell out mad $ or use the printers to make molds or smth to make the poo poo with better materials. does this poo poo actually exist? I guess North Korea has a means to fabricate entire apartment complexes at once with concrete

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

El Padrino posted:

Is it the fact that he owns his own home with an attractive wife and is doing well for himself while keeping ace on his fashion senses?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I live in a tiny home right now. It's called an apartment.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Stealthgerbil posted:

Leave it up to hipsters to re-invent trailer parks.

can’t disrupt vagrancy in a trailer park though

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Artisanal poverty.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

quote:

His new house, which is painted in shades of gray and rolls on six wheels, has opened a new frontier of home living for him and his family.

50 shades of gay

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Disrupting the market on squatter homes.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If baby boomers just let cities re-zone to smaller lots this wouldn't happen.

But no, need gigantic "estate" sized lots so the poor people can't get a house.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You know there's something to be said for having a house just the size you want. Those little mock ups in Ikea are kind of nice (probably 30% too small though).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
literally bought a 37 foot class A motorhome for $3800 on craigslist and lived in it for two years

it had a full tub/shower and a washer/dryer stack
i put flatscreens and 5.8gig wifi in it
it was super fun. Then we got sick of it and I gave it to a homeless family and rented a cottage

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

I just gotta get guns into their hands while they're drinking a flight of IPAs and they will be bona fide trash like me

collecting guns is actually a really great hobby for the same kind of weirdo that would spend $700 on a bespoke firewood axe, owns a pocketwatch, or likes to type things on a 90 year old Smith Corona typewriter.
they're old, mechanically interesting, made of wood and steel, and certain niches can be fantastically expensive. it's ticking all the boxes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

bureaucratic red tape

Aka "we're selling portable death traps"

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Chachaj and Nacole, jfc

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If baby boomers just let cities re-zone to smaller lots this wouldn't happen.

But no, need gigantic "estate" sized lots so the poor people can't get a house.

nimby limits on vertical development is the worst for this. but even if you can build tall who cares about affordable living, you could build a luxury condo in the same space that is sold but sits empty. also weird zoning laws preventing mixed use development and demanding x amount of parking for businesses strangles the life out of places

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hope you get severely punished by the state for using the phrase "cuck shack", OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Chachaj and Nacole, jfc

I feel like these aren't real people, they're stereotypes willed into existence by collective boomer hate for millennials.

• Locked thread