Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pope-francis-abolishes-hell-saying-souls-of-unrepentant-sinners-will-simply-disappear-pwlv6l667

what are your plans now that the threat of eternal damnation has been lifted from our shoulders, fellow goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I like this Pope.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Who will I hail now that satan is off the table?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm the pope not having the balls to say you reincarnate

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

My metal albums lied to me.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

fishing with the fam posted:

Who will I hail now that satan is off the table?

Satan is out of a job this economy is hosed uppppppp

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to Disney World!

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hey op let me borrow your login info to the lovely news site you linked that only lets you read the first five sentences

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The pope is taking credit for destroying hell but it was actually the Doomguy who was responsible.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Hmmm, so the hell we meter out on earth is far more essential now.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Also I bet the ritual to abolish hell was loving intense and took place miles beneath Vatican City

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

reignofevil posted:

Satan is out of a job this economy is hosed uppppppp

He retired on North Pole years ago, don't buy into hype.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
No more executions, just a stinging liquid pumped into the bad persons veins so they feel pain until they die of old age.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Of course this happens two weeks after I finally pay off my timeshare.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
LOL if your VPN server isnt in the Vatican City

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Back in my day Hell was real and it kept all the sinners in check

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Without purgatory whatever will happen to all the aborted babies!?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It really sucks that the system is so drat corrupt that they just abolished hell before we could send either george bush there.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Kazak posted:

Back in my day Hell was real and it kept all the sinners in check

A beating within the edge of your life.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Hey op let me borrow your login info to the lovely news site you linked that only lets you read the first five sentences

all the other sites I found on the first page of the google search were from pissed off catholics in october

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Great, thanks for screwing up the free energy project on Mars ahead of time.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I like where this new Catholicism is going tbh.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Colonel Cancer posted:

Without purgatory whatever will happen to all the aborted babies!?

Purgatory is a hell, youre some non religious person, you end up in this zone between heaven and hell full of fetuses.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is it just me or does this sound suspiciously like a kid on the playground changing the rules in the middle of the game.

How gracious of him to decide after 2,000 years that people will stop being continuously immolated and ripped apart for an infinite amount of time for doing something in a list of things arbitrarily decided to be bad, the repercussions of all of those things being temporary at best, and sometimes not even harmful at all. Glad it’s been demoted to just oblivion while everybody else gets to party.

What a guy.

Next let’s feel warm and fuzzy about a mugger who graciously decides not to pull the trigger after putting a gun in our faces.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 29, 2018

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If hell doesn't exist, doesn't that mean that God is suddenly responsible for all the lovely things happening to people?

It was bad enough that God created Satan but if he's now directly responsible for harlequin babies, cancer, parasites and so on the dude is pretty goddamn hosed up.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Purgatory is a hell, youre some non religious person, you end up in this zone between heaven and hell full of fetuses.

That's limbo which is a different thing and has, to my knowledge, never been an actual part of Catholic theology.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
this pope freaking sucks and he always did, I liked ratzinger a LOT more and he had far more authentic theological chops

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
optics pope

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

reignofevil posted:

It really sucks that the system is so drat corrupt that they just abolished hell before we could send either george bush there.

Hes going to the good place. Hes Good now.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So when I say "God drat it" now, nothing happens? gently caress this poo poo.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
me: go to Hell

pope: lol no

me: go to Ohio

pope: :smith:

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

DoctorStrangelove posted:

That's limbo which is a different thing and has, to my knowledge, never been an actual part of Catholic theology.

Ah ok, Ive seen that film with David Duchovny.

Explains why the child she killed wasnt there I guess.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Is it just me or does this sound suspiciously like a kid on the playground changing the rules in the middle of the game.
It's almost like 2000 year-old desert folklore co-opted by a bunch of Italians as a means of cultural control is indeed a bunch of arbitrary bullshit. Atheists as a whole are garbage people, but they're not wrong.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Hmmm, so the hell we meter out on earth is far more essential now.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Dante's view of hell seems way more badass imo.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Spinster posted:

I like this Pope.

Pope'n ain't eeeesaaaay...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The pope is taking credit for destroying hell but it was actually the Doomguy who was responsible.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

Also, how gracious of him to decide after 2,000 years that people will stop being continuously immolated and ripped apart for an infinite amount of time for doing something in a list of things arbitrarily decided to be bad, the repercussions of all of those things being temporary at best, and sometimes not even harmful at all.

What a guy.

Next let’s feel warm and fuzzy about a mugger who graciously decides not to pull the trigger after he puts a gun in our faces.

Tbh most of these things were never biblical to begin with. There is no red guy with horns and hooves, something like 2 verses that mention fire and brimstone.

Most of the poo poo people associate with Christianity is fanfiction by artists, writers and preachers using that creative license :shrug:

Not to imply its not all bullshit but comparing the institution of organized religion to a mugger is dumb.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

r u ready to WALK posted:

If hell doesn't exist, doesn't that mean that God is suddenly responsible for all the lovely things happening to people?

It was bad enough that God created Satan but if he's now directly responsible for harlequin babies, cancer, parasites and so on the dude is pretty goddamn hosed up.

God was already responsible for all that, all Satan ever did was tempt people into sinning. It's also God who sends people to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

client
Aug 19, 2010

leave it to the loving libtard pope to retcon the movie little nicky. this aggression will not stand

• Locked thread