Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What IS autism?

quote:

Autism is a developmental disorder characterized by troubles with social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.[3] Parents usually notice signs in the first two or three years of their child's life.[1][3] These signs often develop gradually, though some children with autism reach their developmental milestones at a normal pace and then worsen.[9]

Autism is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors.[4] Risk factors include certain infections during pregnancy such as rubella as well as valproic acid, alcohol or cocaine use during pregnancy.[10] Controversies surround other proposed environmental causes, for example the vaccine hypotheses, which have been disproven.[11] Autism affects information processing in the brain by altering how nerve cells and their synapses connect and organize; how this occurs is not well understood.[12] In the DSM-5, autism is included within the autism spectrum (ASDs), along with Asperger syndrome, which is less severe, and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS).[3][13]

Early speech or behavioral interventions can help children with autism gain self-care, social and communication skills.[6] Although there is no known cure,[6] there have been cases of children who have recovered from the condition.[14] Not many children with autism live independently after reaching adulthood, though some are successful.[7] An autistic culture has developed, with some individuals seeking a cure and others believing autism should be accepted as a difference and not treated as a disorder.[15]

Globally, autism is estimated to affect 24.8 million people as of 2015.[8] In the 2000s, the number of people affected was estimated at 1–2 per 1,000 people worldwide.[16] In the developed countries, about 1.5% of children are diagnosed with ASD as of 2017,[17] a more than doubling from 1 in 150 in 2000 in the United States.[18] It occurs four to five times more often in boys than girls.[18] The number of people diagnosed has increased dramatically since the 1960s, partly due to changes in diagnostic practice; the question of whether actual rates have increased is unresolved.[16]

Well, it's gone up enough we all know at least a handful! Tell me about them! What things did they do?

A classic love of the autism is a train!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

But sometimes they like other things. I have met an autism who enjoyed pylons, for example.

There are new techniques for helping people with autism, but they don't work.

They even make video games for autism, such as all of them.

The best thing about autism is making high-pitched noises and no one can complain about it :smuggo:. he he he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I have a neighbor who's kid is 11 years old and autistic. His name is Jack. He fuckin owns. He remembers literally everything I've ever told him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bradzilla posted:

I have a neighbor who's kid is 11 years old and autistic. His name is Jack. He fuckin owns. He remembers literally everything I've ever told him.

finally someone you can talk to :unsmith:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's good that you've asked. I know one such person, and they just happen to post here!

sabbathi
Sep 20, 2017
You told me you'd never tell, Pick.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Pick posted:

finally someone you can talk to :unsmith:

:ironicat:

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

bradzilla posted:

“Bradzilla told me that if I ever say anything to anyone about what he did to me, he’d hurt me!”

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Uh, well, there was an autistic guy in my school in like 3rd grade. He liked to stand and listen to the hum from the drying cabinet, where kids put their jackets and stuff to dry. Because they got wet sometimes. When it rained and stuff. He liked the hum a lot apparently. Yeah. He had the "needs a lot of help" kind of autism, not the internet kind.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I know an autistic person who isn't vaccinated. What gives?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sponge Baathist posted:

I know an autistic person who isn't vaccinated. What gives?

the government. end handouts now!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
making fun of the mentally challenged is a truly American sport.

hey pick, you're really evil you know that?

it's not a bad thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lime Tonics posted:

making fun of the mentally challenged is a truly American sport.

hey pick, you're really evil you know that?

it's not a bad thing.

If I'm evil, then america is evil.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

If I'm evil, then america is evil.

tell me something i don't know

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
pick really you could do better, if you just took a shower for like a hour.

till your toes are wrinkled at least.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lime Tonics posted:

pick really you could do better, if you just took a shower for like a hour.

till your toes are wrinkled at least.

wtf i shower constantly. like way too much. my water use is out of control.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

wtf i shower constantly. like way too much. my water use is out of control.

my water bill was only 70 dollars, INCLUDING TAXES.

i don't know how water is in other states, but its cheap here, i can like waste all the water and flood my yard to cause

anyways

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
hey pick whats your cup size

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Water is free here. lol if you pay for water honestly. What are you gonna pay for next? Air? lmao!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
pick ok, whats the best place to go to self immolate?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

If my kid was a retard or as Pick calls them "an autism" I'd be super upset and pissed off

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mooey Cow posted:

Water is free here. lol if you pay for water honestly. What are you gonna pay for next? Air? lmao!

it ties into the sewer, so you have to pay for both because reasons

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Lime Tonics posted:

hey pick whats your cup size

I bet she uses really small cups since she made a whole thread to complain about how other people drink too much water

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I bet she uses really small cups since she made a whole thread to complain about how other people drink too much water

come on man, youre cutting into mentally ill chicks with bigs boobs who arent drug addicted yet

ffs

youre killing my game

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Myself. :smug:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
im wearing sweatpants right now so im excluded

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Turn off moniter,

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

A couple of long time friends have two autistic kids.

They're pretty weird/neat. The oldest one liked being hit by those plastic balls in a ball pit and she'd get mad if you wouldn't pelt her with them when she wanted it.

so one day i'm visiting him and he's like, hey "throw these at my four year old daughter."

and i looked at him like he was insane. then he lobs one at her and she giggles and laughs like the happiest kid in the world when it lands.

anyway we spent like 15 minutes do this thing that would probably really greatly upset a typical kid that age.

not hard throws mind you, just gentle lobbing, and it's not a hard object. so no abuse!!! still weird.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Do an animal thread instead of all these weirdo honeypots.

Please.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Or a movie review

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

A couple of long time friends have two autistic kids.

They're pretty weird/neat. The oldest one liked being hit by those plastic balls in a ball pit and she'd get mad if you wouldn't pelt her with them when she wanted it.

so one day i'm visiting him and he's like, hey "throw these at my four year old daughter."

and i looked at him like he was insane. then he lobs one at her and she giggles and laughs like the happiest kid in the world when it lands.

anyway we spent like 15 minutes do this thing that would probably really greatly upset a typical kid that age.

not hard throws mind you, just gentle lobbing, and it's not a hard object. so no abuse!!! still weird.

Theres a lady living in an apartment basement right now. She has an adopted? kid i never asked. but here 55 ich screen tv was thrown into the wall and her 34 inch screen tv was punched.

here dvd player didnt work because it was in pieces, i fixed it, the movie she wanted to watch was stephen kings it. on a busted tv in a shithole.

i dont miss that job

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The higher your iq the harder it is for you to feel fascination, hypnosis, enthrallment.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I don't feel fit to judge.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
pick, i don't appreciate that you have made a thread to make fun of me. i have struggled with autism all my life so this thread is in very poor taste.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
hey pick, youve got alot of explaining to do,

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Spinster posted:

Do an animal thread instead of all these weirdo honeypots.

Please.

animal threads put the focus on the animals though

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
its you op

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Guy who couldn't get it up for his hot gf trying to give him head because he was thinking about programming.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Linux, specifically.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
i hope pick makes a new thread about the abyss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Technically we all have Autism here on the SA Fuckn forums

A. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts
Shitposting

B. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities
Example: i'm gay

D. Symptoms cause clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of current functioning.
we're here on the forums instead of having sex with women

• Locked thread