Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Some of you probably know this already - that I am making a computer game with my company - I got 5 slaves working for me on this wonderful project.
Anyways, as a dev I am always interested to hear what you guys enjoy in games- perhaps we've missed something really cool that we could add into our game...

So have at it (joke suggestions are ofcourse welcome, but please do try to add atleast one serious suggestion to the post? :))

What minor features makes the world come alive for you?
Destructible enviroments, hidden passages, player hugs, easter eggs+++

Also, here is a teaser for our game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOLNwz598gQ

And for those crazy goons that use twitter, we do post some info here from time to time: https://twitter.com/wiseserpents (oh wow, real life pictures).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid

does the protasgonist have big boobs?

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Slugnoid posted:

does the protasgonist have big boobs?

Bigger than mine? Her name is Zera!

<3 <3 Vanisher

Farecoal

There he go
weed

Farecoal

There he go
weedmancer class

kalel

I'm gonna be completely, brutally honest so get ready for my feedback:

I'm glad you're making a game and can't wait to see more! :3

Also my brain completely shuts off whenever I read a game title and see more than one word I don't recognize. I don't know what "ramfire" is, I've never been to "valoria," and who's this "of" person I keep hearing so much about?

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
ramfire my bootyhole

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Nice to see that you are still working on your game. I vaguely recall it being some kind of a competitive pvp game; am I remembering correctly?

Koishi Komeiji

Loot boxes that give real rewards not just cosmetic stuff. Like one of the prizes unlocks the title screen, the ability to save your game (once), sound effects etc.

Microtransactions that actually affect gameplay. Like some dude kills you in a duel but you can pay five dollars and he dies and you win.

Koishi Komeiji

Seriously though, it's hard to give feedback on your game with that trailer. Is this like a strategy game? An RPG? Help me out here guy.

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Our game is a hand drawn, hand animated RPG - Zelda-ish in style, with some hints of Dark Souls as well. Our main focus is on the story, art and music without neglecting the gameplay of course. Singleplayer.

<3 <3 Vanisher

Manifisto

Uxzuigal posted:

Our game is a hand drawn, hand animated RPG - Zelda-ish in style, with some hints of Dark Souls as well. Our main focus is on the story, art and music without neglecting the gameplay of course. Singleplayer.

aha! well instead of focusing on the story, art, music, and gameplay, why don't you focus on . . . . um . . . *starts sweating* . . . er . . . *runs out of building*

ty nesamdoom!

Farecoal

There he go
Will this be the Dark Souls of RPGs????

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
I'm a fan of atmospheric storytelling where you can sort of peice together what happened for yourself. Like you find a jar labelled "Idiot Poison" and then later you find a corpse labelled "Poisoned Idiot." Really pseaks to me

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
seriously though small signs that NPCs ahve their own life are cool. Like finding a half finished model or tools and a guide book. It creates the impression that you are passing through a living world rather than having a million puppets set there just to sell you bottles of Idiot Poison

____

Silly as it sounds, Luigi in 1000 Year Door is another way to handle this but with negative subtlety. He is a recurring character who walks up to you and says "Otherthings are happening and those are fun and cute too. Isn't it magical that there's so much more afooot? Welp, goodbye"

Stocking the world with implements and workshops also gives places a sense of specificity. What is this town like? what does it feel like to live here? If we know what sort of work they do, what sort of shape they've given to their habitat,, whether they choose light and orderly forms or heavy durable forms, etc, if we know all of this then we know so much about the plots that can happen in that place. We have an intuitive understanding of the stories that comprise the life of this city.

Two examples from SKyrim, one good one bad.

Bad: In Solitude if you go to talk to thhe Jarl some weiner shows up to complain about the evil monsters and the game immediately makes this about you. "There is life in this....ahah couldn't get through it, it's just another bullshit quest for you."

Good: In solitude they whack the idiots head off and everyone talks about it even if they dont' have anything else to do with it. Some people refuse to talk about it. That's much more interesting because you're passing through their life just as the beheaded dude was just a bit player in the stormcloak thing. That makes the city feel realer and the war feel realer (by locking it into the daily life of those village idiots)

ShinyBirdTeeth fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 4, 2018

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Uxzuigal posted:

When you say Zelda-ish, do you mean arcade-style action combat like Zelda, also with easy kinda-puzzle-things and maybe hard kinda-puzzle-things that lead to secret areas? That is what I like in games of that genre.

And if you're focusing on the story (I was just talking about this with a friend earlier today), you need at least one of:
* a story the player has genuine control over, like Dragon Age: Origins, where stuff genuinely and impactfully changes in the world based on what you did earlier.
* gameplay that is challenging and fun, with eg. somewhat difficult boss fights, like most of the Zelda games, or like everything there is in Titan Souls.

If you have fun, challenging gameplay you can get away with a completely linear story, and if you have a good interesting branching story you can get away with grinding, basically just click a lot to progress gameplay. Ideally you have both the good things, but if you don't even have one of them then your game will be bad.

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

I'm a fan of atmospheric storytelling where you can sort of peice together what happened for yourself. Like you find a jar labelled "Idiot Poison" and then later you find a corpse labelled "Poisoned Idiot." Really pseaks to me

There may or may not be a jar labled idiot poison in our game now...

<3 <3 Vanisher

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

roomforthetuna posted:

When you say Zelda-ish, do you mean arcade-style action combat like Zelda, also with easy kinda-puzzle-things and maybe hard kinda-puzzle-things that lead to secret areas? That is what I like in games of that genre.

And if you're focusing on the story (I was just talking about this with a friend earlier today), you need at least one of:
* a story the player has genuine control over, like Dragon Age: Origins, where stuff genuinely and impactfully changes in the world based on what you did earlier.
* gameplay that is challenging and fun, with eg. somewhat difficult boss fights, like most of the Zelda games, or like everything there is in Titan Souls.

If you have fun, challenging gameplay you can get away with a completely linear story, and if you have a good interesting branching story you can get away with grinding, basically just click a lot to progress gameplay. Ideally you have both the good things, but if you don't even have one of them then your game will be bad.

Our gameplay will consist of arcade-ish Zelda style combat, combined with a few more mechanics that doesn't make it rocket science, but adds to the fluidity - and hard bosses. Easy, and brutal (optional) puzzles are the plan as well. It seems generally that the thread mentions things we got, or are planning -which makes me happy. :D

<3 <3 Vanisher

3dou

The best kind of sex is VHS.
ultimate question:
will this game be chill?

real question:
what engine are yall using? or just making one from scratch?

wearing a lampshade

Gonna watch this trailer with headphones in I promise

Slugnoid

make sure you can find lots of skeletons in interesting poses

it really makes u think about the fragility of life like oh cool he was baking a cake when he died

Slugnoid

also regenerating health

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

3dou posted:

ultimate question:
will this game be chill?

real question:
what engine are yall using? or just making one from scratch?

We are using Unreal Engine 4 (4.19.2 atm, we are updating as we go).

It will be possible to chill when you are DEAD in this game.... You will die... a lot!

<3 <3 Vanisher

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Uxzuigal posted:

There may or may not be a jar labled idiot poison in our game now...

This made my day!

cda

by Hand Knit

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
add realistic treasures like a jade bear or really nice tables

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
are you the same person who made the lobster guillotine game

rump buttman

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

incorporate a cat or dog please

joke_explainer

I like really crunchy, detailed mechanics. Like if you could incorporate programming in your game, or like, a detailed model of an existing real life system. Have you considered making a very accurate flight simulator as part of the game? Maybe the characters need to fly somewhere.

cda

by Hand Knit

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

add realistic treasures like a jade bear or really nice tables

TOOT BOOT

goons have made some neat games, including several of the best roguelikes on steam

Farecoal

There he go

rump buttman posted:

incorporate a cat or dog please

:duckie:

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

joke_explainer posted:

I like really crunchy, detailed mechanics. Like if you could incorporate programming in your game, or like, a detailed model of an existing real life system. Have you considered making a very accurate flight simulator as part of the game? Maybe the characters need to fly somewhere.

We did come to the conclusion that it'd be too easy - so we've decided to replicate NASA's launch program - we've got a totem that we want to send sky high somehow, the moon seemed like a good option.

<3 <3 Vanisher

kalel

TOOT BOOT posted:

goons have made some neat games, including several of the best roguelikes on steam

Link'em please and thank you

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I know of Caves of Qud, being a Roguelike on Steam by a goon that I considered among the best of roguelikes about 10 years ago. I don't know how it's gone since.

TOOT BOOT

SciFiDownBeat posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/Caves_of_Qud/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/288120/Dungeonmans/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/628770/Tangledeep/

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

Nice, wasn't aware Tangledeep was made by Goons, hype! Roguelikes ftw.

Concept art love:

<3 <3 Vanisher

Luminous Cow

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

making cutscenes skippable should be mandatory

If there are character choices, whether they are story or skis or something, that matter. Not just some nearly imperceptible plus one to crit or something. Choices that make a real difference

Luminous Cow

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

Skis should be skills but that's a funny typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Uxzuigal posted:

We did come to the conclusion that it'd be too easy - so we've decided to replicate NASA's launch program - we've got a totem that we want to send sky high somehow, the moon seemed like a good option.

• Locked thread