Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Tim Krieder posted:

Some of my younger readers may not even remember Ronald Regan’s presidency...calling him the Great Communicator is like calling Hitler the Great Negotiator, and if we’re going to credit him with winning the Cold War we may as well credit him with the Challenger disaster and the return of Halley’s Comet. Let me tell you what it was really like:

Even at age twelve I could tell that Jimmy Carter was an honest man trying to address complicated issues and Ronald Reagan was a brilcreemed salesman telling people what they wanted to hear. I secretly wept on the stairs the night he was elected President, because I understood that the kind of shitheads I had to listen to in the cafeteria grew up to become voters, and won. I spent the eight years he was in office living in one of those science-fiction movies where everyone is taken over by aliens—I was appalled by how stupid and mean-spirited and repulsive the world was becoming while everyone else in America seemed to agree that things were finally exactly as they should be. The Washington Press corps was so enamored of his down-to-earth charm that they never checked his facts, but if you watched his face when it was at rest, when he wasn’t performing for anyone, you could see him for what he really was—a black-eyed, slit-mouthed, lizard-faced old son-of-a-bitch. He was a bad actor, an informer for McCarthy, and a hired front man for a gang of Texas oilmen, fundamentalist dingbats, and right-wing psychotics out of Dr. Strangelove. He put a genial face on chauvanism, callousness, and greed, and made people feel good about being bigots again. He likened Central American death squads to our founding fathers and called the Taliban “freedom fighters.” His legacy includes the dismantling of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal, the final dirty win of Management over Labor, the outsourcing of America’s manufacturing base, the embezzlement of almost all the country's wealth by 1% of its citizens, the scapegoating of the poor and black, the War on Drugs, the eviction of schizophrenics into the streets, AIDS, acid rain, Iran-Contra, and, let’s not forget, the corpses of two hundred forty United States Marines. He moved the center of political discourse in this country to somewhere in between Richard Nixon and Augusto Pinochet. He believed in astrology and Armageddon and didn't know the difference between history and movies; his stories were lies and his jokes were scripted. He was the triumph of image over truth, paving the way for even more vapid spokesmodels like George W. Bush. He was, as everyone agrees, exactly what he appeared to be—nothing. He made me ashamed to be an American. If there was any justice in this world his Presidential Library would contain nothing but boys' adventure books and bad cowboy movies, and the only things named after him would be shopping malls and Potter's Fields. Let the earth where he is buried be seeded with salt.

rip in poo poo and/or piss, ronnie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i wish he was still alive so he could die again

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
shoulda died when he got shot

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tim Krieder loving owns so hard

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
sad 2004 d&d thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1076219

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

in memory of ronald reagan im going to take a massive poo poo

and im not even going to click preview post first

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
alzheimers is a slow and terrible death. in the end you forget how to swallow and starve to death

lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

America was a better place when Reagan was President. Many people, including me, look at him as the last great leader of our Country.

He meant what he said, and he said what he meant. He was stern, but showed an honest love for everyone. There was always a smile on his face, except at the worst of times.

Even in the things he did that were controversial, he did them for the betterment or security of our country and people.

Watching the speech of him in West Germany still gives me chills:

quote:
As I looked out a moment ago from the Reichstag, that embodiment of German unity, I noticed words crudely spray-painted upon the wall, perhaps by a young Berliner: "This wall will fall. Beliefs become reality." Yes, across Europe, this wall will fall. For it cannot withstand faith; it cannot withstand truth. The wall cannot withstand freedom.

And I would like, before I close, to say one word. I have read, and I have been questioned since I've been here about certain demonstrations against my coming. And I would like to say just one thing, and to those who demonstrate so. I wonder if they have ever asked themselves that if they should have the kind of government they apparently seek, no one would ever be able to do what they're doing again.

Long Live Ronald Reagan.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol just lol that trump will WANT you to piss on his grave

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its funny how much that thread mimics libs today about George W Bush, half the posts are like "I hated his policies but I at least respect him, not like that dumbass dubya!!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not soon enough

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

lookit all them banned people

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
bless

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lmao

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

lol

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

oof

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Speculation: The next republican president with Alzheimer's is probably gonna be a ginger to complete the trifecta.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I'm too young to have actually experienced much of his presidency (22), but I do know that Michael J Fox liked him on Family Ties, and Michael J Fox was in the greatest movie ever, Back to the Future, so he's not all bad.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
in memoriam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeae1WU3IQ

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Slugnoid posted:

alzheimers is a slow and terrible death. in the end you forget how to swallow and starve to death

lol

mommy...daddie president wants cummies

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh my god liberalism is a horrendous disease.

Anyway, while there is joy to be taken in Reagan spending his last days trapped in a brain that couldn't remember much of anything, it seems the biggest tragedy is he didn't die at some point well before that. Ideally before he became Governor of California.

An indisputably terrible President for both America and the rest of the world.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Blessed day

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
in fairness to vilerat he was a lot further to the left when hillary murdered him

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
vilerat's mom at the RNC

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

:staredog:

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Baloogan posted:

vilerat's mom at the RNC

hinckley’s gun and the RNG

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
soviet steal reagan's RNA

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I wish he could die again

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i read this as thank you for dying

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Im glad Reagan DEAD, now someone needs to finally destroy Kissingers last phylactery

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I can't see this thread but D&D had a very libertarian bent in 2004. It made today's D&D look like CSPAM :q:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lol sa really did move a lot further left

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as he died with his crimes against humanity unpunished the nation was eternally damned for our sins against the innocent people of the world

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Whoa

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

at this point i'm p. sure reagan was just a flesh puppet for a hostile metaphysical entity of some kind

said entity also having the bushes and donald trump under its increasingly angry and misanthropic influence

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Rest in power, Dutch

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I'm too young to have actually experienced much of his presidency (22), but I do know that Michael J Fox liked him on Family Ties, and Michael J Fox was in the greatest movie ever, Back to the Future, so he's not all bad.
i grew up in a small but thriving southern town that “the sixties” of historical imagination pretty much passed by and i honestly believed that ronald reagan held the universe together. to his conservative boomer base he was literally kim il sung

reagan became identified with the chuckling soft-spoken image that he put on during the presidency. his apologists either don't know or don't mind that this was a calculated put-on and that before 1980 he was an aggressive podium-pounding son of a bitch

Gazpacho has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

lol sa really did move a lot further left

all the right wing assholes went to reddit

• Locked thread