Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Back in the late 1980's, Toyota came up with this brilliant ideology of removing as much waste, or cost, in the process to deliver the best service to the customer. Since implementing that idea, Toyota grew substantially to the point that becoming lean was something that the public took notice to. Companies starting seeing that if they just start cutting costs on stuff that doesn't matter to them, they will make much more profit. Sounds like a win/win for them. Becoming lean was told to be the only way a company can be effective in today's market. Since then, companies from all different industries started this process, from banks, video game companies, insurance, ect.

This has become the cancer on our dead end jobs that cause the following:

Obtaining the cheapest technology and ending up spending more on trying to fix the broken system than it would have been to just get the better product

When you get a survey from a customer that is anything lower than a 10, it's a 0.

Free coffee? Get out of here with that.

Oh you used to have pizza parties every month or so? No more of that.

You had a manager that you could count on to take care of you and who you could call a friend? Get them the hell out of there and put someone in who only looks at numbers.

A customer has an issue with something and in reality it might take a little time to fix it. Well none of that because you're supposed to get the client their answer as quickly as possible or else you're being reprimanded. Tell them there's nothing you can do and get to the next ticket.

Meanwhile, CEOs are sitting in the mansions wondering why morale is so low and never actually asks why to the people who go through this. Then they go back to throwing their money at that new boat they saw on the internet.

Lean Manufacturing is the loving worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you 'lean' you mean 'purple drank', then the answer is sadly no

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
I sometimes eat my booger but only if nobody is looking!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If by "company" you mean "unemployed" and by "lean" you mean "go gently caress yourself" then I can heartily concur and yes I would like to buy what you're selling.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

The new company I work for seems to be trying to do this, and basically the parts of it that actually seem to make sense are fairly common sense, like not having endless meetings on things you're not ready to decide on anyway. In practice though, all that time seems to just get eaten up by meeting about implementing "lean" processes, so what's the loving point.

EDIT: It's actually a great example of company leadership telling everyone that the company needs to be more efficient and waste less time and then everyone goes "yeah WE know that, so let us just go do our jobs", but instead of saying anything they just go post on dead gay internet forums about it out of fear of losing their inefficient jobs, so nothing changes.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 20, 2018

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dolphin posted:

If by "company" you mean "unemployed" and by "lean" you mean "go gently caress yourself" then I can heartily concur and yes I would like to buy what you're selling.

This.
Except I'd also like to add in the concept that I'm additionally a, and I quote "am a lean mean gently caress machine"
Thank you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm on unemployment welfare so no becuase nobody ever described the government as lean

i have to document that i'm spending 35 hours a week trying to find a job or they don't give me my £73 a week

i have yet to receive any money or look for a job

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we're on more of an 'agile waterfall' system

also jose good luck w/ that

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
My company is bulking

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mozi posted:

we're on more of an 'agile waterfall' system

also jose good luck w/ that

cheers. i've got a fair bit of savings and my sister moved in a while back and is paying rent so i'm alright for now

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

My company is bulking

Enjoy the free beer

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I wrote a long post about the few weeks I worked in a lumber mill where no one got treated with any semblance of being human or any care for what they were doing other than being the slowest part of a giant machine that deserved getting yelled at and berated, but this thread is about losing reasonable human accommodations from your job, not never having them.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mozi posted:

if you 'lean' you mean 'purple drank', then the answer is sadly no

i dream of working for such a company :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qYfSEXs8iA

:rip:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

i'm on unemployment welfare so no becuase nobody ever described the government as lean

i have to document that i'm spending 35 hours a week trying to find a job or they don't give me my £73 a week

when you get payed in £'s is it customary to request they pound you in the rear end?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I work for the government of Ontario, quite possibly the most bloated organization in existence :smug:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

I work for the government of Ontario, quite possibly the most bloated organization in existence :smug:
Just what the gently caress is wrong with your booze laws? Like good luck finding a good beer, and give up if it's after 5. Terrible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dolphin posted:

when you get payed in £'s is it customary to request they pound you in the rear end?

Our government are pounding everyone who isn't extremely rich in the rear end

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

Just what the gently caress is wrong with your booze laws? Like good luck finding a good beer, and give up if it's after 5. Terrible.

we are working on it. You can now buy beer in a specially licenced supermarkets!

also you can buy weed online, so it's not all bad

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh buddy, my company has gone all in on Lean.
I spent a week in a Kaizen earlier this year where all my suggestions were shot down as "big rocks", IE too hard to move. My ideas were essentially "hey how about we have some accountability in our design process so when we have designers that gently caress up multiple times in a row they are reassigned or retrained"

Also Rubitex are you calling it bloated because we have crack mayor's bloated fuckman brother as Premier now?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
liver and onions *slurp*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Biohazard posted:

The new company I work for seems to be trying to do this, and basically the parts of it that actually seem to make sense are fairly common sense, like not having endless meetings on things you're not ready to decide on anyway. In practice though, all that time seems to just get eaten up by meeting about implementing "lean" processes, so what's the loving point.

EDIT: It's actually a great example of company leadership telling everyone that the company needs to be more efficient and waste less time and then everyone goes "yeah WE know that, so let us just go do our jobs", but instead of saying anything they just go post on dead gay internet forums about it out of fear of losing their inefficient jobs, so nothing changes.
At it's best, lean and six sigma are a reminder to use the scientific method when making decisions but at some point it turned into business major straight into MBAs coming on the scene saying WE GOTTA LEAN THIS OUT in a literal way of cutting input resources. They end up being the Office Space Bobs and you get weird poo poo like the stuff bolded in the OP.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Our manager who got fired gave us the ability to work from home 2 days out of the week. When her manager fired her and took it away from us, we tried bringing it up and we were told "What does this have anything to do with making the customer happy" and we were told to drop it.

Over There fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 20, 2018

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Jose posted:

No but you see universal credit was a great idea and we needed to reform our welfare system urgently because ordlkmnlkvsfrdsjhudsdfguigs

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Over There posted:

"making the customer"

wut

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
You had a manager that you could count on to take care of you and who you could call a friend? Get them the hell out of there and put someone in who only looks at numbers.

This.

My area manager used to be super cool went nuts and started only caring about numbers and became a piece of poo poo psychopath.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh and I was told that i have to clock out at 11:00pm even if I stay later, even a half hour later. I stay to make sure the store is safe and is in order. But noooooo those precious numbers :downs:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

dammit

edited

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MA-Horus posted:

Also Rubitex are you calling it bloated because we have crack mayor's bloated fuckman brother as Premier now?

no I'm talking about this
https://nationalpost.com/news/polit...raser-institute

*not talking politics*

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Over There posted:

Our manager who got fired gave us the ability to work from home 2 days out of the week. When her manager fired her and took it away from us, we tried bringing it up and we were told "What does this have anything to do with making the customer happy" and we were told to drop it.
Did you know ethylene glycol tastes almost exactly like splenda? I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything, I just like posting interesting facts!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

quote:

My manager used to be awesome and we had a functioning quality system. She was moved into a new role and a guy with way too many responsibilities took over her role and it's all gone to hell in a hand-basket.
My team is constantly poo poo on when we find problems (literally our job) and considered trouble-makers.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I work for a company of about 15 people and while it has its issues, everything you described is entirely foreign to me OP.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Over There posted:

dammit

edited

ah ok. thought that was a serious case of arcane management speak.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
I work for a "not-for-profit", which means, in the kindest and most gentlest terms, that we would really like you all to get very very sick.

No, gentle goons, I mean you all to be dying. Very slowly, chronically, such that my job can take on more work. Because we rely on the largess of the super big and super evil pharmaceutical corporations, and the equally evil insurance companies [also, if any of you are on here, I can give you my LinkedIn, I do great data entry]. And those Darth Vader-looking motherfuckers want to sell you medicine that might keep your parents alive another four months. But it's gonna cost ya!

And I'm the trickle down! All those tens of thousands of dollars you spends on precious life-saving medication for your loved ones, I get cents. Yes, precious yummy cents! I pay my rent with those cents! Mmmm, 55% of my pre-tax take-home pay on rent, I.....think I'm actually doing ok with that, compared with lots of other people.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Companies like this always make procuring anything a complete nightmare. It once took us several months to get some office supplies. loving sticky notes and pens.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

I work for a mean company now gimmie your lunch money poindexter

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dravs posted:

No but you see universal credit was a great idea and we needed to reform our welfare system urgently because ordlkmnlkvsfrdsjhudsdfguigs

i'm on JSA its less strict and i don't wait as long for money because i spendt the last 2 years employed

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The only lean thing that I'm actually impressed with is our office supply room.

Everything is free-issue with re-order cards, like a KANBAN system. When something starts running low there's a re-order card in the last bin, you drop it in the order box. The Admin assistants check it daily and re-order anything in the box. It's amazingly efficient.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN

Also no, lean production seems hellish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i've had lean. wasn't great, withdrawal sucks.