Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I seriously want to say that of the last 20 times I’ve gone into the store with the intention of wanting to buy some poo poo I’ve probably walked out 15 of them empty handed cause these places don’t carry any loving inventory anymore and the poo poo they do have is from the cheapest supplier in China that makes something that looks half decent enough that they can make up the price a shitload and unload it on unsuspecting buyers.

I went shopping for three different things on Saturday, brewery supply store didn’t have half the poo poo I needed which makes me loving question how they’re even in business. Second store was for a specific brand of moisturizer and they told me I should drive twenty to another location cause they apparently can’t keep it in their barren loving multilevel location here, there’s not enough room. Third was a track suit and the place didn’t have matching colours and I was so pissed off at that point I didn’t even ask if they could loving get them in cause I knew the answer was no.

People talk about how Amazon is this all consuming entity but literally the secret to their success is that they have some selection when you’re looking to buy poo poo and it’s normally available. Maybe if Walmart didn’t look like a loving war zone people would feel compelled to stay in there for longer than two minutes and browse the goods for sale.

Please share your stories of retail horror in the hopes the CEO of Walgreens or whatever reads this thread and learns that people go into stores to buy poo poo and not just gently caress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I like the part where you openly pine for the golden age of Walmart and Target eating all commerce instead of Amazon.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
ill miss the bowel & movement stores when theyre gone

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Were you shopping at K Mart or something?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dev286 posted:

Were you shopping at K Mart or something?

Dude was lookin for a track suit

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey man a bunch of people just want lovely crap they can throw in the garbage. Whole worlds a dirty weekend hippy festival. Try some thrift stores or something, then you can cherry pick from political and socioeconomic eras.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Just get a track suit that doesn't match op, you're going to look like an idiot either way

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Most people just buy beer op

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4z0QhD92Y

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

1500quidpoocati posted:

Maybe if Walmart didn’t look like a loving war zone

Walmart has a cool new service where I can place an order and one of their terribly compensated employees has to load all my groceries in my BMW for free immediately after I pull up, you aren't even allowed to tip them.

A++ recommend, you get Walmart's everyday low prices and don't have to interact with the people that are obligated to shop there because of poorness.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I bought a synthetic nylon winch rope, pre spliced, yesterday for 17$, it came today. We had a snow storm so it was really convenient. Fixed the plow in a day.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrSw7wK4no

You know it is great because they advertise it by showing their employees being abused by assholes and smiling though it.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
OP I have a very simple solution for you. It's an ancient secret handed down by my fore-bearers. You call the establishment in question and ask if they have the whatever it is you wanted, and if they say no, you don't go. This technique was very popular back in older times when you had to talk to other human beings to get what you wanted.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrSw7wK4no

You know it is great because they advertise it by showing their employees being abused by assholes and smiling though it.

Ready Shopper One.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
You're complaining about cheap Chinese garbage, then say go to Amazon? Does not compute

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The reason retail is dying has as much to do with real estate prices than anything else

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
lol shopping at Walgreens

did you forget your wife's son's birthday and you need a last-minute gift

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Retail stores have no choice but to carry the cheaper Chinese alternative because if they carried the normal thing you want you’d just load up the Amazon app and see it’s 20% cheaper there.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Still puzzled over what happened to Kmart, we were the premier outlet for John Cena fan gear and previous-generation phone chargers

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
The other reason physical retail is poo poo is that these big department stores, and even to some degree grocery stores, have layouts and signage designed by a literal retarded person.

It's impossible to find things by just looking around in any logical way, and there's no search, and the employees don't really know because the place is massive and they were just hired this week.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
This is a timely post. It's amazing how lovely the selection and quality of products is, at most brick and mortar retail. Why don't they just keep a wide selection of quality products and sell them at a fair price?

A couple weeks ago I needed a basic, office chair quickly. First place I stopped was Walmart because it's the closest big store to where I live. They only had two chair models on display, and they were tethered to a platform thing so you couldn't even put them on the floor to take a "test sit." I asked a staff person if they could take one down, and he unconvincingly said "no we're not allowed to." For some reason, I was still interested in buying one, but the model I preferred didn't have a box in the store area. I asked if they might have more stock in storage or something, and I got the standard "no but we could probably order one for you." Well, I kinda need one now. Way to not sell me a chair, Walmart.

Then there are the stores (like Sears became) that have all kinds of extra bullshit they want you to do when you check out. They want you to sign up for a credit card, or a rewards program, or a satisfaction survey or GOD DAMMIT I JUST WANT TO PAY AND LEAVE DON'T MAKE IT HARD FOR ME. Jesus.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

You're complaining about cheap Chinese garbage, then say go to Amazon? Does not compute

Amazon absolutely has cheap Chinese poo poo that is like three times the price of the exact same item on Ali express and with zero consumer protections since it’s some guy in an apartment in China shipping that poo poo out while chain smoking.

The difference is Amazon typically offers better quality products along side that poo poo where as a place like Walmart will just have that poo poo for large categories of products when you might want something that isn’t going to turn to poo poo after the first time you use it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Preach on. I'm still waiting for my town to get a Star Wars Action Figure / Fleshlight Factory Reject Outlet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to buy a raspberry pi the other day. I went to 4 different stores that sold electronics stuff including one store that was a dedicated electronic hobby shop with like bins of resistors around and stuff. No one had it so I sighed and ordered it from Amazon.

The Best Buy was particularly bad. I had not been in one in a while. about 80% of the store was dedicated to cell phone displays. and your not even allowed to just buy the cell phones, they only let you have them with a plan. what a waste of time, brick and mortar is only good for groceries.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
What I seem to be encountering with increasing frequency is that every store has exactly half as many cashiers on duty as they need at any given moment. I have put down my poo poo and walked out of a store after waiting 20 minutes in line at least once a month for the last year. Every third person in line is a boomer trying to argue over a coupon or pay with a dozen gift cards with a minuscule balance on each. I worked as a cashier 10 years ago, I don't remember it being this bad.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I don't even know what kind of store to go to get a track suit. Sports store? Clothes store? Mafia outlet?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
*at the clearance bin in macy's, whipping pieces of track suit into the air faster and faster until i am at maximum speed* gently caress... gently caress!!!!!!!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The reason retail is dying has as much to do with real estate prices than anything else
you dont get it man retail is dying and it's all because my local target was out of bread machines

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Gone Fission posted:

The other reason physical retail is poo poo is that these big department stores, and even to some degree grocery stores, have layouts and signage designed by a literal retarded person.

It's impossible to find things by just looking around in any logical way, and there's no search, and the employees don't really know because the place is massive and they were just hired this week.

It may or may not surprise you that a lot of companies deliberately use lovely organization in an effort to get the customer to walk the largest amount of floorspace and potentially make an impulse buy on top of their intended purchase. Even though most people get lost, get frustrated, and leave.

Or at least such is the case with department stores. Specialty stores not so much, if they gently caress it up it's rarely on purpose.

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 22, 2019

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
my town has a frys electronics, which was once the big deal for consumer electronics retail in the bay. there's no best buy in town that competes directly against it but they have som strange ideas about what to put on the floor of an electronics superstore. last time i went in there it was garden hoses and leaf rakes and i bought a glitchy mouse that is now very close to nonfunctional

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
We should televise a fight to the death between Jeff Bezos and the head of the Walton family. The winner will get the prize of being thrown into a pit with rabid dogs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CPL593H posted:

We should televise a fight to the death between Jeff Bezos and the head of the Walton family. The winner will get the prize of being thrown into a pit with rabid dogs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i would enthusiastically endorse my local big box stores becoming a warehouse where i walk into a waiting room and browse their inventory on a tablet and then wait a few minutes for a drone (either biological or mechanical) to bring my purchases to a cage where i can check out. maybe have a water cooler and sandwich stall in the antechamber so i can grab a bite while i'm in there. maybe put the game on a big screen with a few chairs too.

perhaps then they will have enough inventory and low enough overhead to make it worthwhile for them to exist

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the op happens to me when i go to best buy or gamestop. "we dont have that title" (it was released this year??? it's a medium size seller???? why dont you have it????) or "we only offer that online"

welp then im going to newegg or amazon because you only exist for convenience not prices

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Coolguye posted:

i would enthusiastically endorse my local big box stores becoming a warehouse where i walk into a waiting room and browse their inventory on a tablet and then wait a few minutes for a drone (either biological or mechanical) to bring my purchases to a cage where i can check out. maybe have a water cooler and sandwich stall in the antechamber so i can grab a bite while i'm in there. maybe put the game on a big screen with a few chairs too.

perhaps then they will have enough inventory and low enough overhead to make it worthwhile for them to exist

We have this in the uk! It's called Argos and it rules. (No drones, sadly)

*Browse their enormous catalogue*

*Input your order on one of the store's touchscreen terminals*

*Take the receipt and wait for your order to be called*

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-17/as-toys-r-us-fails-the-retail-real-estate-glut-is-getting-worse

why are the prices so high if there's so much space. i leave really close to an almost dead mall. does supply and demand not function any more

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

For groceries, it would help if they restocked items when they sell out, and also if they didn't keep discontinuing items without adding new ones.

I usually have to go to at least three stores to complete a shopping list if I want the actual things without having to compromise on substitutes. If I can just Amazon Prime the whole thing and get all the specific things I want for the same cost, why go through the frustration?

The way forward, to me, is to eliminate shelves, aisles, etc., and just have warehouses, where you shop online (or kiosks with assistants for people like old folks who can't use technology), then pick up or have it delivered. This would solve the problems with a system that still thinks it's like it was in 1970 and you have to have the politics of "shelf space" and all that poo poo that does nothing but frustrate customers who just want to get in, buy what they want, and get out without hassle.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Relin posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-17/as-toys-r-us-fails-the-retail-real-estate-glut-is-getting-worse

why are the prices so high if there's so much space. i leave really close to an almost dead mall. does supply and demand not function any more

there are no laws that force people to make real estate cheaper when there is too much available, so there's a perverse incentive to keep the price high in case the slump in demand is temporary. as long as the real estate company isn't breaking their bank overall, they don't have to care if temporary means 2 months or 10 years

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they're going bankrupt because everyone has been in debt since 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
anything to avoid seeing a wage laborer