Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer pal

is it a fun thing to read classic russian literature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

who's that is she cool did she say anything about me

Manifisto

yes, but frankly the part with the sandworms confused me

ty nesamdoom!

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I prefer classic ambling literature. I get anxious reading Anna hurrying to this place or sprinting to that place.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

If you end up reading it I also recommend the video game "Anna Detroyinya" for a modern continuation of the story that goes in a bold new direction. Put in the Konami code for more shurikens at the start.

cda

by Hand Knit
yes, it is one of the best god drat books ever written. it's so loving good. its pure wisdom from one end to the other and i feel the need to find my copy and kiss it a whole bunch

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit

bee eater posted:

who's that is she cool did she say anything about me

lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

beer pal

cda posted:

yes, it is one of the best god drat books ever written. it's so loving good. its pure wisdom from one end to the other and i feel the need to find my copy and kiss it a whole bunch

ok ill do it

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

beer pal

is it fun to read though

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

yes, but frankly the part with the sandworms confused me

no anna k is the one about the robot that hates, like, a lot. like miles of hate.

i think may bee i am wrong

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

is it fun to read though

tbqh no, not really. like... It has its pleasures but they're Sober Pleasures.

Heather Papps

hello friend

here is that crazy thing about fun man no one knows what is fun till they do it
on the risk of scale, reading a book is way below like, i dunno, getting choked in bed for the first time
on one side oh poo poo either your life is drastically improved, or you wasted some time.
on the other side now you live as a little and sell bathwater on the internet man i don't know

beer pal

oh eayh... word...

alnilam

it's actually about 3 ppl, anna, karen, and nina. the english transliteration of the title often gets this wrong

ty manifisto

nut

alnilam posted:

it's actually about 3 ppl, anna, karen, and nina. the english transliteration of the title often gets this wrong

three women columbus crossed the ocean blue on

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Yeah why not

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I read it a very long time ago, but I believe that it has themes.

Goons Are Gifts

It's a good side project next to dune actually

beer pal

i just want you to know, and im not bragging or anything, but i just want you to know, that ive read dune already

alnilam

beer pal posted:

i just want you to know, and im not bragging or anything, but i just want you to know, that ive read dune already

wow v impressive and handsome of u

ty manifisto

Goons Are Gifts

alnilam posted:

wow v impressive and handsome of u

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

OP don't read Book Two of the Forgotten Realms Avatar Trilogy, known as Tantras, sequel to Shadowdale and followed by Waterdeep, it is a bad book

Heather Papps

hello friend

dune sucks frank herbert is a hack anyways try reading atlas shrugged it is good and has good ideas.

Farecoal

There he go

beer pal posted:

call me

beer pal

say what you will about dune but one thing I know for sure is that I’ve read it. and that frank Herbert. what a character but one thing you can’t take away from him is that I’ve read his book dune

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

beer pal posted:

say what you will about dune but one thing I know for sure is that I’ve read it. and that frank Herbert. what a character but one thing you can’t take away from him is that I’ve read his book dune

I really hope one day I'll finish writing a book and you will have read it and I can tell everyone that you read my book that really is a big dream I have

Heather Papps

hello friend

if someone just posts that op i posted in the book barn i will commit suicide stop

anyways so like les mesreabels is really good, it made me think about sexism, like, a lot. try that one.

Escape From Noise

I think that taking a stab at dense and classic literature is cool and good. Like was already said: what's the worst that can happen? Maybe a library late fee?

Just don't lose the book or the head librarian will hunt you down like the dog you are!

This is why I bought Gravity's Rainbow and try to read it every so often. Some day.

Edit! Dune was alright but I'm glad that I read it in a high school class because for such a short book it has so many danged characters that keep disappearing and reappearing and you have to know pretty much everything about them and why they were gone for several chapters.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 15, 2019

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Dune is one of the greatest works of literature ever created and I will fight* anyone who says otherwise.

*engage in a polite and reasonable discussion with

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

nut

more like durr by frank durrdurr

Escape From Noise

magic cactus posted:

Dune is one of the greatest works of literature ever created and I will fight* anyone who says otherwise.

*engage in a polite and reasonable discussion with

I mean it's no Tarnsman of For but it's alright.

cda

by Hand Knit
knock knock

alnilam

'ello, who's there then

ty manifisto

Manifisto

"who," he asked, fully expecting some sort of humorous quip or jibe, "is there?"

ty nesamdoom!

cda

by Hand Knit
also Anna Karenina isn't dense or particularly difficult or anything like that. It's just about humans, being human, and what it means to be human, so if your brain needs pew pew laser guns or were wolf wizards who are also detectives, it is probably not a good time to read it, but if your heart is broken and your soul is sick to death and you absolutely need the comfort of connecting with a compassionate, insightful, deeply human presence that understands and has felt suffering and joy and everything in between and can look at it and describe it all without flinching or judging, then you should probably get a good therapist but also read Anna Karenina

cda

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

'ello, who's there then

Banana

nut

i haven't a karenina world

alnilam

cda posted:

Banana

bananer, eh? *shouting upstairs to the missus* oi love, bananer here to see ye, ring any bells? *turning back to the door* bananer 'oo?

ty manifisto

cda

by Hand Knit
If u just want to read a book that's entertaining but also really smart and well written and moving I recommend one of the following three relatively short books

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, by John le Carre

Frankenstein in Baghdad, by Ahmed Saadawi

Our Man in Havana, by Graham Greene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

bananer, eh? *shouting upstairs to the missus* oi love, bananer here to see ye, ring any bells? *turning back to the door* bananer 'oo?

Banana Karenina