Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey! I'm Infinitum, well known forum arsehole and collector of shields. A few years ago I ran a ran a rather popular King of Dragon Pass Let's Play, split over two parts, and now I'm back to do another blind playthrough of KoDP's spiritual successor, Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind

If you would like to read my previous KoDP LPs, you can find them here:
- The King of Dragon Pass - You will regret this aka Why you don't gently caress with the ducks
- The King of Dragon Pass - Looks like we did regret that aka Too Many Quests

Would also like to give a shoutout to Negative Entropy for gifting me a copy of Six Ages. He has truly doomed us all.

From the Six Ages store page

quote:

Glorantha is a highly detailed Bronze Age world, similar in many ways to our own. But it exists in a magical universe where the laws of physics are subordinate to the whims of the gods and spirits. To understand Glorantha, leave our mundane world and enter the world of myth. The Sun is a living god, not a nearby star. Countless gods exist, some even more powerful than the Sun, and all have the power to directly affect humanity.

In Six Ages, you play specifically as a Riders clan, who revere various gods in their particular mythology, including Gamari the Horse Mother, and your culture hero, Hyalor... but you would be foolish to forget Raven the Trickster. He has not forgotten you.

Glorantha is also the setting of other rich narrative games/experiences, including King of Dragon Pass, HeroQuest, RuneQuest, God Wars, and others.
There is a Manual available if you'd like to read it, but I won't be using it.

It will be run in a similar vein as my KoDP LP, wherein the majority of the decisions will be made via you voting for the outcome. Essentially I will provide you with the options, tell you what the our Clan Council recommends, and you vote on how we proceed via majority vote. I will in turn handle the day-to-day micro-managing of the clan, but may ask for your help if the need arises.

Dwarves are cool and you drat well better not make me fight them!

As this is a community driven Let's Play all the blame lays squarely at your feet whenever this trainwreck in motion inevitably jumps the rails. (Because we hosed with the ducks)
(Please stop making me gently caress with the ducks)

Regularly! Updates will probably not happen as often as last time, as I am now very much gainfully employed. While I will keep things flowing as best I can please keep in mind that a screenshot Let's Play is a very time consuming process. So while I will 100% endeavour to do my best to maintain the same quality as last time, please bear with me for any delays.

Voting will likely take place over an extended period So you will likely have a 12hr+ window to vote on things, as opposed to last time where it was only a few hours (Because I was an unemployed bum)

There is also a fuckload of really cool games coming out soon that I Am Very Excited For, which may slow down initial proceedings. We'll get there!

Don't. As I did last time I am doing a completely blind playthrough again, and I am going to be doing a bunch of dumb things in an entertaining fashion. It's no fun for anyone if we know where things are going to be headed. If you see someone posting spoilers, please report them

Lore, however, does not spoil things.
Please post cool lore if you want to explain something cool

Cause I sure as poo poo have completely forgotten everything about this setting! Glorantha? I hardly knew 'er!

Well I suppose there's just one thing for it...

ARE YOU READY FOR A MIRACLE?

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Reserved for content updates

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 28, 2019

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

First and foremost we need to make a mother fuckin' clan! This involves answering a series of questions, and will impact certain aspects of how our clan operates and what boons we receive.

:siren: Please answer the following EIGHT questions :siren:

Your story begins not long after the gods made people.
The Golden Age was a time of harmony ruled by the sun god Yelm and his appointees. Your clan traces its ancestry back to those times.

quote:

1.) Which of the gods did they favour
- Emperor Yelm, shining above the Golden Empire.
- Nyalda, the great Earth Mother, whose bounty made sure no one was ever hungry.

The Golden Age ended when the storm god Umath forced his way into the world through a flaw in the Sky Dome. Constantly moving and violent, he rebelled against Yelm. Yelm's celestial sons responded, sending Umath crashing to his death in the far north.

Other gods fought as well. As instability spread, humans become more dependent for survival on the gods. In turn humans helped the gods

quote:

2.) Which famous event of the gods did your ancestors support?
- The Milk Gift of Busenari, the Cow Mother.
- The Battle of Akashar, when shining Elmal saw through the stratagems of the Changer.
- Seventeen Banner Camp, when wise Relander advised Khorlavus how to ally the bird riders
- When Buseryan engraved the first ledger tracking the planets in motion.
- When Erissa first sang the Bone Mending Ballad for Keskor Breng
- The Grain Contest of Erkonus, where the barley goddess Pela prevailed over millet and beezil.
- The Brass Bazaar, where Ekarna acted as broker between Nida Mountain and Gernert's Garden
- When the Werris Mur joined us as citizens

Umath's son Orlanth led a conspiracy of rebel gods against Emperor Yelm. Armed with the new power of Death, he slew Yelm, sending his light to the Underworld.

When the sun fell from the sky, the empire fell apart. Smaller suns lit the world in Yelm's place. Darkness and Sea gods became a threat, but the Storm god Orlanth and his violent allies dominated.

quote:

3.) What was the worst danger your ancestors faced at this time?
- Trolls fled the Underworld to the surface darkness. Always hungry, they tried to devour the herds.
- A great flood drowned the Empire. We helped Anaxial the Sailor build a great ship to save civilisation.
- The War of Many Suns, when pretenders to the solar throne fought to assert control over our Golden City, Nivorah.
- The Ram People marched on the Empire, razing the city of Elempur. We helped the Emperor avenge it
- When the City of Chimes wanted to surrender to the Scorpion Queen, we gave them heart.
- Our worst danger came later.

Many more gods died as the Gods War worsened.

Hyalor of Nivorah found the crippled spirit who had once been the winged, fanged Hippogriff. He saved he from death, and made an alliance. Hyalor gave her a new name, Gamari, and she allowed him to ride.

Hyalor returned to your ancestors with this secret. They became the first Riders.

Storem and Cold continued their conquests. Orlanth's barbaric worshippers sacked Elempur, the Dara Happan empire's southernmost city. A great sheet of ice crushed the city of Verapur, despite its volcano gods. It ground relentlessly south.

The Emperor began building an immense dome to hide under. Rather than cower inside, the citizens of Nivorah chose to move away from the glacier.

Your ancestors had trained horses to ride. Others drove chariots. Everyone had to leave many of their gods behind.

quote:

4.) Which god did your bring?
- Buseryan, god of writing.
- Tepekos, god of smiths.
- Narva, goddess of brewing.
- Perondeto, god of glassmaking.
- Nocheli, goddess of the red-dye insect

The citizens of Nivorah loaded their possessions and headed in the four directions. Your ancestors headed south. They had to fight Plant Folk, Stone Folk, Ram People, and Trolls.

They previaled, and prospered until there was not enough room for all of them. They divided into four groups. One remained, the others went west, south, and east.

quote:

5.) Which group was your ancestors?
- The most warlike.
- The best herders.
- The wealthiest.
- The best magicians.
- The most dissatisfied.

Your ancestors crossed the mountains to the south.

quote:

6.) Who did they find on the other side?
- Farmers
- Goat herders.
- Hunters and gatherers.

Once, our ancestors might have taken outsiders as slaves. But those days were past.

quote:

7.) How did you treat them?
- We chased them away.
- We took them in as half-citizens.
- We took them in as citizens.

Finally you took what you could and headed south, over the mountains to a wide valley. Your scouts reported that the best pastures were already taken, but found land along the right bank of an untamed river.

Life here would start out about the same as our last migration
(This option appears to pertain to game difficulty, I have elected normal)

The seven families joined in the ritual to claim their new home.

quote:

8.) What is the name of our new clan?

:siren: Please answer all EIGHT questions :siren:

:siren: I will also be at a party all day tomorrow, and all night most likely :boonie:, so you have a bunch of time to get your answers in! :siren:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hooray! Now is the time, for us once again to ride into the realm of the gods and to bring back the greatest of boons: an LP for the people.

1. Yelm. He is the golden sun, righteous ruler who brings order and prosperity to all.
2. When the Weis Murr joined us, we learned leadership from them.
3. Our great danger came later.
4. We brought Perondento, and can still make glass.
5. We were the best herders!
6. We found farmers.
7. We made them citizens.
8. Our name is the Suffering Suns clan, after our great defender, Elmal.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Will we regret it this time? :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Almost certainly! :v:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
gently caress Rams worship women.

1) Nyalda

2) When Erissa first sang the Bone Mending Ballad for Keskor Breng

3) The Ram People marched on the Empire, razing the city of Elempur. We helped the Emperor avenge it

4) Narva, goddess of brewing.

5) The best magicians.

6) Goat herders.

7) We took them in as half-citizens.

8) Newcastle United

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
:getin:

1. Nyalda - the Earth Mother will nourish our crops and cattle
2. The Milk Gift - because cows
3. The Flood - because I'm curious what it does
4. Red Dye Insect - for fabulous clothes and food coloring
5. Most warlike - for diplomacy
6. Goat herders - because why not?
7. Citizens - since we're not selling them and we needed someone to tend to the goats
8. Suffering Suns - because it's better than anything that came to my mind

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
1. Nyalda, because not starving is better

NewMars posted:

6. We found farmers.

8. We are the Big Herd of Everything clan because we gather up every living thing we come across. Plants, animals, people, you name it!

Never caught any of the King of Dragon Pass ones, but this game sounds right up my alley. I'm also always ready to join in on an impending trainwreck, so let's go herd some ducks! :psyduck:

--
e: Took "the" out of the title, because reasons.

JanPospisil posted:

Post from below

Thanks for the tip, if that was aimed at me! I figured The ____ Clan was the way the game would render it.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 25, 2019

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Pro tip: Don't put "the" in the clan name. :)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Bunch of bleeding heart liberals in this thread making everyone citizens. Other people aren't people! :argh:

Edit: But ducks are people.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Hell yeah, ground floor

1) Nyalda
2) Seventeen Banner Camp
3) War of Many Suns
4) Buseryan
5) Magicians
6) Goat Herders
7) Citizens
8) Eyes wide shut clan

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

1) Shine on you crazy diamond, Emperor Yelm.
2) Elmal at the Battle of Akashar continues the shining theme.
3) The War of Many Suns sounds right, but I really want to know what's up with the Scorpion Queen.
4) Tepekos, god of smiths and red-hot forges burning with the might of the sun.
5) The best magicians, for who else has the inclination to raise their heads skyward?
6) Farmers, who can easily share our appreciation for the sun.
7) Full citizenship for anyone who is willing to shine.
8) I'm terrible with names!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Hell yeah, I'm very interested in this! And I'm going to be rude and vote all the options I've never tried.

1) Nyalda
2) Erissa and bone-mending song
3) Great Flood
4) Buseryan, god of writing
5) Most warlike
6) Goat herders
7) Chased them away
8) Duck Touchers

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

1) Nyalda, the great Earth Mother - because people gotta eat.

2) Seventeen Banner Camp - because riding birds sounds ducking awesome

3) A great flood drowned the Empire - save the world through boats

4) Tepekos, god of smiths - can’t be great without the tools to back it up

5) The best herders - always be kind to animals

6) Farmers - food still good

7) We took them in as citizens - let’s not gently caress with anyone before the ducks even show up

8) Courtesy of fantasy name generator because I am an incredibly uncreative person and have no idea how naming conventions in this universe works we are clan: Weavers of Triumph.

Because looking are my choices we are apparently good at making our way out of trouble; whether that’s from flood, negotiations, food, or tool crafting. I encourage everyone to not use my name.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
1) Nyalda
2) Ally the Duck Riders
3) War of Many Suns
4) Buseryan
5) Best Magicians
6) Goat Herders
7) Full Citizens
8) Y-elmal-io

Also it needs to be clarified, Rebellus Terminus didn't kill Yelm, he murdered his son Murharzam, which caused Yelm to disintegrate into his six constituent parts in despair.

White Coke fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 25, 2019

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Aw hell yes. I still fondly remember the days of infinite heroquests.

Nyalda
When Erissa first sang the Bone Mending Ballad for Keskor Breng
The Ram People marched on the Empire, razing the city of Elempur. We helped the Emperor avenge it
Narva, goddess of brewing.
The best magicians.
Goat herders.
We took them in as citizens.
Followers of the Duck

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

NewMars posted:

Hooray! Now is the time, for us once again to ride into the realm of the gods and to bring back the greatest of boons: an LP for the people.

1. Yelm. He is the golden sun, righteous ruler who brings order and prosperity to all.
6. We found farmers.
8. Our name is the Suffering Suns clan, after our great defender, Elmal.

I can get down with this.

This thread is now Eurmal Approved.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I haven't looked at the options yet but I'm hype as duck!

I will leave that autocorrect typo :v:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Aww yessss

1. Nyalda
2. Seventeen Banner Camp - a seventeen nation army can't hold us back
3. The Ram People marched on the Empire
4. Narva, goddess of brewing - who ever heard of a sober LP?
5. The best magicians - itsmagic.gif
6. Hunters and gatherers
7. Citizens
8. Suffering Suns

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I can get down with this.

This thread is now Eurmal Approved.

Eurmal is a filthy Ram god. What do we care for his approval or disapproval? Maybe one of those silly Raven followers will be interested in your blessing.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

1. Emperor Yelm, shining above the Golden Empire. Praise the sun.
  2. Seventeen Banner Camp, when wise Relander advised Khorlavus how to ally the bird riders - because that sounds like diplomacy and we might get to ride emus.
  3. The Ram People marched on the Empire, razing the city of Elempur. We helped the Emperor avenge it. - the Orlanthi. Those duck touchers killed our God.
  4. Narva, goddess of Brewing - Barley beer makes us popular.
  5. The best magicians. - so we can cast magic missile. Also heroquests chew magic.
  6. Hunters and gatherers - because they sound easier for when...
  7. We chased them away - git go on, scram. This is the clan land of...
  8. Suffering suns.

Interesting that this takes place a thousand years before KoDP. Our failures will have poems written about them that will become legend.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Zurai posted:

Eurmal is a filthy Ram god. What do we care for his approval or disapproval? Maybe one of those silly Raven followers will be interested in your blessing.

Raven is just Eurmal in a mask, of course

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You've got this the other way around

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

It’s masks all the way down, but not like the Stead Guarding villain masks all the way down.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm pretty hype for this since I don't have time to play through myself at the moment.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Three spirits in a trenchcoat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. Yelm- Praise the Sun!
2. Buseryan's Planetary Ledger
3. RAMS! :argh:
4. Narva- Of course we kept beer
5. Best Magicians
6. Goat Herders
7. Full Citizens
8. Untitled Clan Name

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
1. YELM THE GOLD EMPEROR
2. MILK
3. TROLLS
4. Nocheli
5. WAR
6. GOATS
7. Chase away

8. Untitled Clan Name

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
  1. We rightly bet on Nyalda: guess what, Sun's dead and Earth still here and feeding us.
  2. When the Werris Mur joined us as citizens we maybe learned how to lead? Hopefully? oh dear gods my clan cannot agree on anything with zero competent leaders, it's a horrifying spiral of disgruntleness
  3. The War of Many Suns sounds exciting and I want to know whom we end up hating because of it.
  4. Buseryan, god of writing, because literacy is more effective than vague drawings and tall tales!
  5. Being the best magicians in a world made of magic seems useful.
  6. Goat herders joined us...
  7. As citizens to help herd all of our future numerous goats. Also, having a precendent of taking people in seems useful.
  8. Suffering suns it is.

Negative Entropy posted:

Interesting that this takes place a thousand years before KoDP. Our failures will have poems written about them that will become legend.
Technically, Time isn't invented yet, so there's no way to measure how much earlier than KoDP we are. And I don't mean that we don't know how to measure time, I mean there's no Time to measure yet.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

1. Earth Mother Ernalda Nyalda
2. Werris Mur.
3. Flood. gently caress water
4. Glass.
5. Best Shamans.
6. Farmers. We need food.
7. Citizens, of course.
8. Long Way Clan

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
No opinion on the questions, but Untitled Clan Name gets my vote.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
FYI we're playing as the ancestors of those weird horse guys in KODP that are not as big assholes

1. gently caress Yelm. Nyalda
2. Elmal Is A Bro.
3. Anaxial the Sailor. gently caress Water!
4. Tepekos
5. The best magicians
6. Farmers, let's NOT STARVE.
7. Citizens. Come on. we aren't evil.
8. Suffering Suns
9. Let's try not to die.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lokapala posted:

Technically, Time isn't invented yet, so there's no way to measure how much earlier than KoDP we are. And I don't mean that we don't know how to measure time, I mean there's no Time to measure yet.

Only if you rely on the Orlanthi calendar. The game takes place during the Dominion of Antirius, also known as the Storm Age, which covers Year of the Sun 101,000 to 110,000 of the Dara Happan calendar. More specifically it takes place at least during the reign of Manarlavus the Roofer, who ascended the Throne in YS 108,677. KODP starts in YS 112,329.

White Coke fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 26, 2019

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TheNamedSavior posted:

FYI we're playing as the ancestors of those weird horse guys in KODP that are not as big assholes

I mean... we're gonna raid the poo poo out of our neighbours... a lot...

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Infinitum posted:

I mean... we're gonna raid the poo poo out of our neighbours... a lot...

I didn't say not assholes. Just not as big assholes. Everyone is an rear end in a top hat. At least in Glorantha. Raiding is our common form of communication between different nations there.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I did not know what to expect, but I am delighted.

1. Nyalda. I like food.
2. The Battle of Akashar, because I remember Elmal and even if Orlanth is apparently rebel scum to us now, due respect to old bros.
3. We gave heart to the City of Chimes. We're better than scorpions!
4. Perondeto, god of glassmaking. No real reason, I just think it's kind of a badass thing to be the one secret you carry out.
5. The most dissatisfied. Goons gonna goon.
6. Goat herders. What a strange concept. They are like cows, but much smaller and crankier.
7. Citizens. Clearly we have much to learn.
8. Suffering Suns, because how can we have songs written about us if we are Untitled?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Leraika posted:

No opinion on the questions, but Untitled Clan Name gets my vote.

nthing this.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I bounced hard on this so I'm looking forward to you breaking it

with love.

not hard enough to vote tho it's one am gently caress that poo poo KILL NERDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1. Nyalda
2. The Grain Contest of Erkonus - barley means beer
3. The City of Chimes
4. Narva - can't make beer without brewing!
5. The most dissatisfied - we are goons after all
6. Farmers
7. Full citizenship - open borders, people of the world unite
8. Suffering Suns - why not?