Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

He does, for real. He's a bigger marty-stu than Luke, even. There's even a chapter opening in the THRAWN book that says "if you don't like thrawn you're dumb" because the author knows its a lovely character and has to stop mid-book to defend him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TremorX posted:

He does, for real. He's a bigger marty-stu than Luke, even. There's even a chapter opening in the THRAWN book that says "if you don't like thrawn you're dumb" because the author knows its a lovely character and has to stop mid-book to defend him

Haha I’m too smart for you all ebcause I look at art

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
He is much more of a star trek alien. Aliens in SW need to be more, well, alien. Especially since he came from a book. I get using body paint on actors as a lazy fix when you are making a TV show or even a movie on a limited budget. But books are limited only by their imagination. Make him a creature that is 4D instead of 3D so it's impossible to get a clear look at him and he looks like a crazy cubist painting. Make him an octopus bug thing with three heads. Who cares, get weird with it.

Rebels had been struggling for a while but when they introduced Thrawn you just knew it was going to be a total shitshow. Again, it's a cartoon so they can do cool stuff but they dont.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

To go further: the whole series of books sucks

Sorry, I mean suucks.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is that from the recent-ish one they made for the new canon? I got that in a secret santa but haven't read it yet.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Srawn thucks

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As nerdy as I was and am, I was not nerdy enough for Star Wars novels.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I only know him from Rebels and he's great in that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

As nerdy as I was and am, I was not nerdy enough for Star Wars novels.

They're all 100 % very bad

The comics however are often very good

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Fsmhunk posted:

I only know him from Rebels and he's great in that.

Yeah, I concur. He has been great so far.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
hes a race science guy... no good

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

zoux posted:

They're all 100 % very bad

The comics however are often very good

I've heard that. If I read comics, they would be very on-brand for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

I've heard that. If I read comics, they would be very on-brand for me.

Gillen's Darth Vader and Aaron's Star Wars runs from 2015 are insanely good and they are also on Marvel Unlimited so you do the week trial period thing and read em for free

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

exmarx posted:

woah! he seems like a bad guy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
looked 'im up. seems kawaii

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
agreed OP. Star Wars EU sucks in general, but Thrawn is especially lame

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thrawn was fine when he was just cold, calculating, pragmatic.

Thrawn was bad when he would outsmart an opponent by looking at their art.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mitth'raw'nuruodo, better known by his core name Thrawn, was a Chiss male officer of the Chiss

“No one is going to call you ‘Thrawn’ ok Matthew Naruto”

General fake sci fi language question: how the gently caress is an apostrophe pronounced

zoux fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 22, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
rest in chiss

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

zoux posted:

Mitth'raw'nuruodo, better known by his core name Thrawn, was a Chiss male officer of the Chiss

“No one is going to call you ‘Thrawn’ ok Matthew Naruto”

General fake sci fi language question: how the gently caress is an apostrophe pronounced

it's a glottal stop in most irl languages i think

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
EU canon: Got shivved by a member of a species that is similar to but legally distinct from Wookies
New canon: getting tentacle-raped in hyperspace

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

looked 'im up. seems kawaii

I'm guessing one of the blue guys is supposed to be Thrawn but who are the others...?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

exmarx posted:

He's is part of a racist empire and it's what ultimately gets him killed.

When he gets stabbed in the back because he misread things because he trusted his ability to read the situation too much.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
he has some great scenes tho, some real mind blowin poo poo when i read that crap as a lil punk :stare:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
that scene where they find & reactive to deus ex machina dead fleet is wild poo poo, or is that from antoehr book :thunk:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Its the same books where the imperials are revealed to have rediscovered cloning tech which they use man the fleet so yeah

Props to the authors for waiting exactly one book trilogy before having world destroying superweapons again I guess

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 22, 2020

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Of course he sucks, but the question is if he fucks.

I think he does. Think of all the pipe he must have laid in art school.

:hmmyes: : "This rebel stronghold has no hope of escape. Commence the attack."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Thrawn fucks all your pink skinned wives you imperial officer cucks

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Thrawn is in Tie Fighter and Tie Fighter is really good.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Coruscant is pronounced Coruskant in Thrawn's opinion (the correct one).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I tried reading that first Thrawn book like 3 years back and it sucked poo poo. It's just all about Thrawn predicting what's going to happen because ??? and the climax is some nonsense bullshit about him stealing mole miners and doing ??? with them, it has no dramatic arc and all the new characters suck, gently caress that book.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hakkesshu posted:

I tried reading that first Thrawn book like 3 years back and it sucked poo poo. It's just all about Thrawn predicting what's going to happen because ??? and the climax is some nonsense bullshit about him stealing mole miners and doing ??? with them, it has no dramatic arc and all the new characters suck, gently caress that book.

It's been a while, but the climax is Mara Jade killing LUUUUUUUUKE, thus fulfilling the order that Sheev put in her head (kill Luke skywlaker) so she can be freed of his influence. You're right. Those books are trash.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
He uses those miners to dig a hole in a bunch of ships so he can steal them too try reading next time!!!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

thrawn is serviceable in rebels but i really dont give a gently caress otherwise

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The best thing about Thrawn is how despite his “I am a suave military genius who will dominate the galaxy with my intellect, get out of my way loving plebs” routine, he constantly gets jobbed on by everyone, including (in Rebels) literal children

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

EU canon: Got shivved by a member of a species that is similar to but legally distinct from Wookies
New canon: getting tentacle-raped in hyperspace

*sheeved

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thrawn was great as a 3-book villain who dies at the end of that and is never seen again. Unfortunately, fans are obsessives and Timothy Zahn is secretly a hack

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Luuke!! Noo!!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Pick posted:

Luuke!! Noo!!

those are my good friends the clone of luke and the clone of no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna