Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

no force no masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
creon was right

don't bury rebels

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'd like to talk more about why Kreia was right

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

She was.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

kreia is interesting but ultimately a randian rear end in a top hat

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Kreia berated me for giving money to a hobo, and then the game showed that hobo getting mugged by hobos, thus validating her libertarian philosophy

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

creon was right

don't bury rebels

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Hands down the most irritating video game charterer I've come across. I left her in the ship in the naive hope that'd I wouldn't need to listen to her near endless nihilistic pontifications, but she butted in any way.

Yes, Chris Avellone, we get it. You hate Star Wars and you hate the Jedi

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
KotOR 2 was cool because the main bad guys are a lich and a vampire because the dude writing it can only express himself in D&D tropes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

KotOR 2 was cool because the main bad guys are a lich and a vampire because the dude writing it can only express himself in D&D tropes.

recycling tropes is the cornerstone of star wars

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Small Gay Planet posted:

Kreia berated me for giving money to a hobo, and then the game showed that hobo getting mugged by hobos, thus validating her libertarian philosophy

She also berates you if you don't give the hobo money.

She hates thoguhtless light/dark decisions, if you can justify your decision afterwards she's satisfied.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

StashAugustine posted:

I mean yeah she is the ultimate villain in the game.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

what did kreia want you to do again?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

be a cool person that she could flaunt at the jedi masters.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smirking_Serpent posted:

she wanted you to become the galaxy's greatest bug catcher of all time

and by god, she was right

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I promised to help both the good guys and bad guys on dantooine and Kreia was impressed by my skill at manipulating both sides but really I was just being an indecisive prick

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
AU where Kreia was right and midichlorians go full Parasite Eve and just start turning people, animals, and inanimate objects that have been around long enough to accumulate a sufficient amount of organi-originating dust go full cronenberg monstrosity

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Small Gay Planet posted:

to be fair, this is shown with her narration. It doesn't necessarily happen in game. You don't have to follow her nietzschean ideology in any case

I tried to be her little pet and seriously follow her advice and what she would like every time and I ended up as a dark-sider. Big surprise.
Going dark and saving the council is probably kreia's favorite way to play the game.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

not really. kreia believes in truth through contradiction. that is: in reaching a more comprehensive understanding of the universe by mediating between two initially simplistic and inadequate positions (in this case: the light side is superior vs. the dark side is superior). in her own life, kreia has moved through the extremities of both light and dark, and has emerged into what she believes to be a third, superior, position. and she thinks the exile, because of his shattering experience at malachor, is prepared to do the same. she is the most autonomous and self-critical individual in the universe. but she is also willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of what she believes to be the most fundamental of universal philosophical principles. avellone is reading star wars through his undergrad recollections of plato, hegel, and nietzsche. not some crazy absolutist philosophy of individual entrepreneurialism.

Zane fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 23, 2020

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stairmaster posted:

recycling tropes is the cornerstone of star wars

Xaris posted:

and by god, [kreia] was right

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Even in a pre-YouTube world, "the morals and philosophy of a media franchise for children is actually kind of hosed up and impractical if you think about it" was already an incredibly trite observation to make let alone serve as the basis for a 50 hour RPG. I think KotOR 2 exists in the same space as Metal Gear Solid 2 and Silent Hill 2 where if you were a teenager or young adult who mostly just plays video games it was your first introduction to basic postmodern and literary concepts and since they were made back when games being meta was a novelty it hit much harder through sheer surprise and novelty.

I do have to give it credit for doing Undertale's twist of your experience points not being an abstract gaming concept but your character literally getting more powerful from the lives they snuffed out a decade before Undertale came out, at least.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

the kind of tedious psuedo-intellectual dismissiveness that got you kicked out of arguably the worst subforum on the site
So what you're saying is that media does not have value unless it's impenetrable to the point of being incomprehensible to the layman

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Sleeveless posted:

Even in a pre-YouTube world, "the morals and philosophy of a media franchise for children is actually kind of hosed up and impractical if you think about it" was already an incredibly trite observation to make let alone serve as the basis for a 50 hour RPG. I think KotOR 2 exists in the same space as Metal Gear Solid 2 and Silent Hill 2 where if you were a teenager or young adult who mostly just plays video games it was your first introduction to basic postmodern and literary concepts and since they were made back when games being meta was a novelty it hit much harder through sheer surprise and novelty.

We're talking Star Wars here. Even a tenuous relationship with postmoderism and metatextuality makes KOTOR II the loving Tristram Shandy of the franchise if we're comparing it to the rest of the slop.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
star wars invented the blockbuster multimedia franchise almost entirely by accident

it's never going to be high art unless someone picks up the star wars football and goes completely high concept apeshit with it.

it's dumb. star wars is dumb. it has always been dumb. it's been dumb since before most of us were even born. things can be dumb and ridiculous and not hold up to the sophistic masturbation that is the majority of literary criticism at this point and still be fine

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
this is the part where i admit i can't tell the difference between contemporary literary criticism and the wikia admin who was convinced that the entire silent hill franchise was a metaphor for the evils of circumcision, other than a veneer of respectability in the case of the former because it's done by people who presumably know how to dress themselves and couch their headcanons in a more presentable format than 'insane screeds posted on the internet'

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked the idea of Jedi as peace and Sith as passion rather than good vs evil. Should've explored that more rather than just have the sith be huge jerks all the time.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Gulping Again posted:

star wars invented the blockbuster multimedia franchise almost entirely by accident

it's never going to be high art unless someone picks up the star wars football and goes completely high concept apeshit with it.

it's dumb. star wars is dumb. it has always been dumb. it's been dumb since before most of us were even born. things can be dumb and ridiculous and not hold up to the sophistic masturbation that is the majority of literary criticism at this point and still be fine
really popular media properties are typically successful not because they're dumb and dumb people like them but because they recapitulate very simple but powerful narrative structures (mythologies) through which human experiences have been recurrently organized. explicating and playing around with how and why they work can then actually be pretty interesting, and teach you a lot about how people are fundamentally motivated. there's no need to be willfully pig-headed about these kinds of things.

Zane fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 23, 2020

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Gulping Again posted:

Ah, a regular reader of contemporary literary criticism are we?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Yaws posted:

Hands down the most irritating video game charterer I've come across. I left her in the ship in the naive hope that'd I wouldn't need to listen to her near endless nihilistic pontifications, but she butted in any way.

Yes, Chris Avellone, we get it. You hate Star Wars and you hate the Jedi

you were the target audience for her words, had you bothered to listen

kreia, ultimately, is an advocate for free will. not in a randian way, though - not because everyone must be self-sufficient or whatever - but because she is reacting against the truth of the star wars universe: everyone is merely a plaything for the force, an evil entity which has bound the galaxy to its own will. even the light side is evil, because it still compromises free will and gives the force as a whole a vector to play out its "smash all the action figures together" narrative that it loves so much. the galaxy will never break free of the cycles of violence and despair that plague it as long as people who listen to the force continue to be revered and placed in charge. kreia comes off as randian because she's broken - she genuinely can't see altruism or cruelty as anything but manifestations of the force, which is why she cautions you to avoid either extreme in your behavior.

avellone's point, from a metatextual perspective, is generally misrepresented imo even by the people who spend way too many hours thinking about star wars poo poo. it's not something as trite as "star wars bad" or "the morals and philosophy of star wars are bad". it's that star wars stories are bad when all of the narrative glue that normally holds a story together is replaced by "the force did it". star wars stories are bad when they're all about jedi and how cool they are, instead of about real people. the jedi and sith are bad, because their presence in a story in any numbers greater than the original trilogy virtually guarantees that the story will be dominated by their stupid holy war instead of the concerns of normal people.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 23, 2020

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I would suggest the target for a lot of KOTOR2's ire is RPG tropes than the Star Wars property. The beggar on Nar Shaddaa is a slam on simplistic morality dilemmas that exist to let players max alignment points, and has more to do with "XP is you sucking the literal lifeForce out of people" and "your party members are being mind-controlled by you, the player" than Kreia's meatier philosophical dialogues. This seems to be something Avellone likes to do - see Torment and player death advancing the story/prohibition on elves, dwarves and swords, or Lonesome Road's blank-slate-PC-wasn't-entirely-blank-after-all.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

I liked the idea of Jedi as peace and Sith as passion rather than good vs evil. Should've explored that more rather than just have the sith be huge jerks all the time.

I have always interpreted it as having the dark side be a corrupting, almost malevolent influence. Jedi don't do the no passion thing because they think that's a good philosophy; they have these rules because people strong in the force need to contain their passion because not doing so opens one up to being essentially taken over by the dark side and becoming literally evil, regardless of their original intentions. Thus, I've never liked the idea of grey Jedi as a viable thing.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Save a baby

Steal people's change for bus fare to work

GREY JEDI!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

bitterandtwisted posted:

The Jedi aren't good, as shown by the entire prequel trilogy where the Jedis are assholes and it causes them to fall to the Dark Side and die. And the Sith will always be jerks because their philosophy is selfish and creates an echo chamber that bounces their negative emotions back at them constantly, creating deranged assholes. What you actually want is one of the other Force traditions that don't give a gently caress about the Jedis outlook [As the Sith are explicitly based around "gently caress the Jedi"].

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
KREIA: Man, why does Batman arrest criminals when he knows they just break out of jail and cause even more casualties.

THE EXILE: holy poo poo

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
the jedi order, established to bring peace and justice to the galaxy and to ensure that force users stick to a path that whoever strays from goes insane and ends up a yellow-eyed psychopath: we're the good guys

me, my brain touching every midichlorian in the galaxy: the jedi aren't good

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
KREIA: Tell me, Exile, if pro is the opposite of con then does that mean congress is the opposite of progress?

THE EXILE: No, language is by nature arbitrary and full of contradictions. Also you're not funny.

KREIA: Then you have learned nothing.

[LIGHT SIDE POINTS GAINED]
[INFLUENCE LOST: KREIA]

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it would be existentially terrifying to have a mysterious ephemeral force affecting everything you do, but that's the same as all fictional characters.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

KREIA: Tell me, Exile, if pro is the opposite of con then does that mean congress is the opposite of progress?

THE EXILE: No, language is by nature arbitrary and full of contradictions. Also you're not funny.

lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sleeveless posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess it would be existentially terrifying to have a mysterious ephemeral force affecting everything you do, but that's the same as all fictional characters.

kreia's kind of like a human who's been both an angel and a demon. she knows from personal experience that god and satan are real - she's talked with both of them - and control mortal events down to the smallest events when it interests them. but neither of them care about people, at all - they just like fighting each other with them. their power can be drawn upon by anyone with sufficient mystical potential, who is then transformed into an angel or demon, and most cataclysmic wars in recorded history were angel vs demon, with mortals just being cannon fodder on either side.

that's enough to make anyone go full rebellion-against-god. kreia is lucifer, basically.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 24, 2020