Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
lets talk about the most American food of all. no, it's not McDonalds, or apple pie

its mother fuckin chinese buffet

look at this poo poo

god drat i want some unidentifiable meat

even in the most backwater places, buffets now also serve Sushi. i am thankful that probably the least clean style of restaurant now specializes in food served raw

another wonder in the innovation packed Chinese Buffet industry is the hibachi grill, where an angry man will take your plate of raw food and throw it on a griddle

and let's not forget the inter-dimensional dessert buffet which is literally identical between all Chinese buffets in existence:

my favorite is the shiny tiramisu cake thing.

there's also a salad bar :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

also the mysterious inclusion of pizza, left untouched under its heat lamp day in day out

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

There’s a Chinese buffet near my parents that took the place of an Old Country Buffet (Golden Corral, but in the North). It is clearly haunted by the ghost of the OCB because it’s got most of the standards from that place - carving station, taco bar, assorted mayo-based salads, etc. - taking up as much or more space as the standard CB fare/sushi/hibachi.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

also the mysterious inclusion of pizza, left untouched under its heat lamp day in day out

I eat that pizza. It's a pretty good way to mop up the delicious sauces of other foods.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I always get so many loving egg rolls. Not spring rolls, egg rolls, and several cups of the Hot Mustard from the salad area.

god drat I want chinese buffet now. But I have a cold and I'm not a terrible person so it's gonna have to wait a week :(

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
*fills up plate with food*

*gets full after eating 4 dumplings and nothing else*

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

i found out one chinese place near where i live has in its buffet mushrooms covered in a roll of bacon, and filled with blue cheese

those things are so loving good. no idea why a chinese food buffet had them but they owned

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I sometimes go to one that gives you a single use voucher for the lobster lol

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My kid and I enjoy the local chinese buffet, for the takeout. They give you a styrofoam container and charge you by how much it weighs. He and I eat a shitload of chinese at home for under $20 while watching a Game of Thrones.

Every time we walk in and ask if today's the day.... when we fill an entire container up with chocolate pudding. That day has not yet come. I envision the guy at the register asking me if I'm "going to eat all that puddin?" Then I can get indignant and ask, "Hey, who you calling puddin'?"

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Any buffet recommendations in Los Angeles?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Piggy Smalls posted:

Specific fast food recs go in LAN. These threads are for the concept of the food.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

my favorite things on the giant crappy chinese buffets are the cold shrimp (I live dangerously) and the stir fried green beans with the wrinkly skin that they cooked in the fryer

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Piggy Smalls posted:

Go get korean bbq instead

Or if you're feeling fancy, this is a good chinese buffet https://www.yelp.com/biz/cima-restaurant-city-of-industry

King's Hawaiian (of bread fame) also has a restaurant in LA, though it's not a buffet and obviously not chinese.

Note: It's been 15 years since I've lived in SoCal.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 4, 2020

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

pizza and the saltiest grilled cheese sandwich wedges ever are a staple of PNW chinese buffet food

god love 'em

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Go get korean bbq instead

Or if you're feeling fancy https://www.yelp.com/biz/cima-restaurant-city-of-industry

King's Hawaiian (of bread fame) also has a restaurant in LA, though it's not a buffet and obviously not chinese.

Note: It's been 15 years since I've lived in SoCal.

what does any of this have to do with chinese buffets?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

what does any of this have to do with chinese buffets?

The middle one is a chinese buffet. I should have clarified that

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

i have an extremely strong sense memory of biting into what i thought was a mozerella stick or some manner of fried good at a chinese buffet but inside was a whole, small fish. i was very young and i think, upon reflection, that it may have been a dream.

is... is this a real thing?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Heather Papps posted:

i have an extremely strong sense memory of biting into what i thought was a mozerella stick or some manner of fried good at a chinese buffet but inside was a whole, small fish. i was very young and i think, upon reflection, that it may have been a dream.

is... is this a real thing?

absolutely. it was probably a fried crab stick

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

TheAardvark posted:

absolutely. it was probably a fried crab stick

i bit into the stick, and was grossed out, so i peeled the breading off and it was a fish. like a sardine sized fish, un processed near as i can tell. it had eyes.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

you know you've hit the big time with a chinese buffet when they have an amazing fish tank

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Heather Papps posted:

i bit into the stick, and was grossed out, so i peeled the breading off and it was a fish. like a sardine sized fish, un processed near as i can tell. it had eyes.

smelt maybe? they're great. breaded and fried whole because they're just tiny guys

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

In grad school my buddy and I would embark on the Noah’s Ark Challenge wherein we would attempt to eat as many genera of animals as possible in one sitting

This was sadly hampered when the nearby Chinese buffet that served frog legs closed down

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

GORDON posted:

My kid and I enjoy the local chinese buffet, for the takeout. They give you a styrofoam container and charge you by how much it weighs. He and I eat a shitload of chinese at home for under $20 while watching a Game of Thrones.

Every time we walk in and ask if today's the day.... when we fill an entire container up with chocolate pudding. That day has not yet come. I envision the guy at the register asking me if I'm "going to eat all that puddin?" Then I can get indignant and ask, "Hey, who you calling puddin'?"

:discourse:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Ayndin posted:

There’s a Chinese buffet near my parents that took the place of an Old Country Buffet (Golden Corral, but in the North). It is clearly haunted by the ghost of the OCB because it’s got most of the standards from that place - carving station, taco bar, assorted mayo-based salads, etc. - taking up as much or more space as the standard CB fare/sushi/hibachi.

OCB used to make a lot of their stuff fresh almost from scratch. Maybe they kept dome of those guys on

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I think the building sat empty for a year or two, so probably not. It’s pretty decent overall, though their Chinese buffet standards are on the weak side. Still, if you want to have dumplings, sweet and sour chicken, mashed potatoes, egg salad, tacos, and liver with bacon and onions all at the same time, it’s a decent choice. Unlike the choice to eat all that at once.

The buffet near my old place started having Philly cheesesteak during lunch shortly before I moved away. It was by no means good cheesesteak, but it was strangely satisfying.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Love going with a dumbass friend who leaves bloated and regretful while I'm sailing out on a smooth buffet high. They don't get that a buffet isn't about quantity. You can get quantity at Costco. It's about variety.

STRATS:

Round One requires discipline. While my idiot friend is dumping heaps of rice onto his plate I'm sampling (almost comically) small portions from a dozen different buckets. This is the exploratory round, trying to find out what's on offer.

Round Two is a hybrid. You can start specializing in the stuff you like, but again, keep the portions small. There's still so much to discover. This is the first round where fried rice is acceptable.

Round Three and beyond is your reward. You have sought and gained knowledge and may indulge in your discoveries.

Desert: a separate concurrent plate for shrinkwrapped cookies, gelatin, and odd little slices of pie.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Chicken skewers: is there any item on the buffet more variable? You can get one ultra fresh, with cross-cut meat, and it is a joy. You can also get one that's a perfect 90 degree stringy, dry, inedible piece of leather.

A marvel of engineering.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

platzapS posted:

Love going with a dumbass friend who leaves bloated and regretful while I'm sailing out on a smooth buffet high. They don't get that a buffet isn't about quantity. You can get quantity at Costco. It's about variety.

STRATS:

Round One requires discipline. While my idiot friend is dumping heaps of rice onto his plate I'm sampling (almost comically) small portions from a dozen different buckets. This is the exploratory round, trying to find out what's on offer.

Round Two is a hybrid. You can start specializing in the stuff you like, but again, keep the portions small. There's still so much to discover. This is the first round where fried rice is acceptable.

Round Three and beyond is your reward. You have sought and gained knowledge and may indulge in your discoveries.

Desert: a separate concurrent plate for shrinkwrapped cookies, gelatin, and odd little slices of pie.

Strong strats. For me, I am similar, but a couple of my own preferences:

Never rice or noodles. If I want noodles I do it at the hibachi area w/ an ungodly amount of onions and jalapenos and spicy sauce. Rice is always a waste and I pity anyone who scoops it at all in a buffet.

First round is a tour but I always make sure to check the most important food groups:

Egg rolls
Sushi
Chicken Skewers

Beyond that it's everything I can sample in my remaining space.

Dessert, I also get an egg roll, sometimes a spare rib, and I specialize in sesame balls.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The Rage posted:

you know you've hit the big time with a chinese buffet when they have an amazing fish tank

i seem to recall the best chinese buffet in my life was in Corpus Cristi, Texas. there was a big fish tank, the lighting wasn't harsh, and the plates all looked kind of a dark lacquer (but clearly could not have been)

this was... in the 90s? maybe early 2000s?

i wonder if its still open

it's the only Chinese buffet i can remember having one. plenty of proper Chinese restaurants have lobster tanks and stuff, though. that seems less special.

wolfs fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 5, 2020

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
rice is actually good having a bed of rice to put your sauced up chicken and beef on is a true pro move

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The first time I went to a Chinese buffet it was only like a year ago, and it was in Johnstown NY. I was traveling for work and the person with me suggested it because I had never been to a Chinese buffet before. Being as that it was in a dead NY rust belt town, it tasted like grease and depression.

The next time, I went to one in Albany, and holy crap it was way better. Good variety, and wasn’t so greasy it turned my colon into a water slide. It even had the inexplicable garbage level pizzas under a heat lamp. I’d go again if I had any reason to be in Albany.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

the mandarin is a chain of chinese buffets in canada, at least, and it's been a longstanding family birthday place. the 4 or so locations i've been to have all been super great. everyone there is almost overwhelmingly friendly, and there's a koi pond with fish and turtles, and the roof is painted blue with white clouds. it's so weird but i love it very much.

i agree with the variety and quality over quantity, but my love of noodles is pretty strong, so i usually end up with at least some of those.

as an insane person i try and do single colour plates because why not, so one will be fried brown, then all green, then maybe a gradient or yellow.

also: ice cream buffet makes me extremely happy. at least a few times i've gone and had a small amount of real food and then a bunch of bowls of sorbet and sundaes.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

it should be noted that almost every small town in ontario has a "chinese-canadian" restaurant. i have no idea why, unless folks just kinda gave up and stayed put, family by family, when they were building the railroad across this big cold country.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
My favourite chinese buffets are the small town ones needing to cater to white boomers so even though it's a Chinese family operating it, 75% of the buffet is made with frozen foods like onion rings, french fries and mini pizzas, and then they'll be some chicken balls and wonton soup at the end along with the saddest salad bar in the world.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Has anyone actually ever gotten hit with the legendary "You wasted too much food on your plate" surcharge? I always see those signs but can't imagine that ever getting enforced

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had a Crab Rangoon eating contest at a Chinese buffet with a buddy in high college, I think we drew at 20. drat good buffet but sadly I think they shut down in the years since I graduated.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 5, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the worst part of living in Colorado is that there are more salad chains than there are Chinese Buffets. its hosed up, I have legal weed but not the food that goes with it

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Everyone should try the sesame ball. It's like eating the world's most delicious golf ball.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
thai buffet restaurants are way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hakimashou posted:

thai buffet restaurants are way better

thai buffets only exist in like 3 cities in America though

mexican buffets are also amazing but same issue