Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u have regional options
Yes
No
Goku
Thanks for this forum BURT!
View Results

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
At work and got snowed out yesterday so actually gotta work, gonna leave this mainly as a place holder, but planning for this to be a place to discuss your weird "local" fast food options that don't leave your State/Regional borders.

Some examples from Utah would be (PHOTOS TO COME LATER)

CAFE RIO Exceptionally Bland and Overly Sweetened Mexican Food. More to come on this place soon, but needless to say I am not a huge fan.

Apollo Burger/Crown Burger/Astro Burger/Olympus Burger - All 50's style throwbacks specializing in PASTRAMI Burgers

Arctic Circle - A Mcdonalds style knock off that manages to not have an always broken ice cream machine (because LDS folks LOVE ice cream). Home of the "Courtesy Cones".

Taco Time - Kind of a bastardized Taco Bell/Del Taco combo.

Betos/Racheritos/Floribertos - Fast food Mexican Restaurant food on the go. I think they had a literally gang style turf war. Real good when ur drunk and horny at 2 am!

What weird regional options do you have, and would you recommend them?

Derpies fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Reserving this spot as well

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its only a single store, but this place went for jack of all trades, master of none https://www.yelp.com/biz/americana-pizza-and-taqueria-san-pablo

They have a... Chicken alfredo burrito :barf:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

flakey jakes...... aussie institution

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Clawtopsy posted:

flakey jakes...... aussie institution

2 things:

wtf are any of those fish other than Flounder

and can you actually tell the difference between all of them in fish & chips? :thunk:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
We in SE Michigan have:

Bray's http://brayshamburgers.com/
- basically 1950 style place that just servers burgers and friend and a few kid foods like hot dogs and chicken nuggets. Actually cheaper than McDonalds on their weekly specials. (EDIT: Down to one location now)

Salad's Up https://saladsup.com/menus/ann-arbor-mi/
- A fast food salad place?!? It's more likely than you think. Actually really good, but kinda pricey. Alot more than iceberg lettuce and they make their own unique dressings froms cratch.

(Zo's) Good Burger https://zosgoodburger.com/
- Used to be just good burger, changed its name after the movie. Make all sorts of fancy pants burgers and sauces. Mostly a burger joint but also does some great stuff with chicken. LOADS OF FRIES FOR MILES

Taystee Burger http://taysteesburger.com/
-make your burger to order. As in everything. Size, how well done it is, loads and loads of buns and toppings. You fill out a slip like a deli

Biggby's Coffee https://www.biggby.com/
-Coffee shop. Not MI exclusive anymore, but lots of coffee blended drinks. Especially teas and sweet stuff

Buddy's https://www.buddyspizza.com/
-Owners of Detroit style pizza. My vegan friends say their vegan pizzas are great too. Pretty innovative (historically) and good. Eat here

Halo Burger https://www.haloburger.com/
- Fresh, never frozen beef for everything. Made to order. Kinda like 5 guys except their fries are less greasy.

We have a bunch that started here (Hungry Howie's, Tubbies), but I think you have them where you live too.

edit 2: We also have Zingerman's deli https://www.zingermansdeli.com/menus/
-I hesitate to call this fast food because you often have to wait in a huge line (not fast) and it sure as hell isn't cheap. Great sandwiches, though

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 4, 2020

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Could deffo use regional threads so people know which local places to go to to get diarrhea on their vacation/road trip.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Barracoutta

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't live there, but in North Carolina (and a few surrounding areas) they have a place called Cook Out that's legit. They have hot dogs and chicken and stuff like that, but the real selling point is their milkshakes. Every time I pass through I make sure to stop at one.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
near where i grew up there was a gross burger that w p good
also indian pizza that was a front for the mob

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Sinteres posted:

I don't live there, but in North Carolina (and a few surrounding areas) they have a place called Cook Out that's legit. They have hot dogs and chicken and stuff like that, but the real selling point is their milkshakes. Every time I pass through I make sure to stop at one.
Can vouch for them. Think it’s a South-East thing as there were a few around Atlanta.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You can always eat a bag of Dick's in Seattle.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
last time i went to cookout my wife and i were there and this guy with like tons of white trash tats had his kids there and he was being a super cool dad. he son just had gotten out of a little league football game or whatever.

like 2 weeks later we saw the guy in the local paper cuz he had been busted growing a bunch of pot and was going back to jail. sorry guy.

thats my CookOut story

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sinteres posted:

just keep in mind they're really more like a Blizzard than a milkshake. I like drinkable milkshakes more :shrug: still one of my favorite fast food places. S tier for the trays

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I live in Cincinnati. We have Skyline Chili, and it's competitor, Gold Star :geno:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Sinteres posted:

Cook Out is amazing and has expanded out like crazy.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Cook Out probably needs its own thread TBH.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Kolaches are everywhere here and yes it counts because there's loads of kolache places with drive-throughs.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

last time i went to cookout my wife and i were there and this guy with like tons of white trash tats had his kids there and he was being a super cool dad. he son just had gotten out of a little league football game or whatever.

like 2 weeks later we saw the guy in the local paper cuz he had been busted growing a bunch of pot and was going back to jail. sorry guy.

thats my CookOut story

Free white trash stoner dad!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I live in Cincinnati. We have Skyline Chili, and it's competitor, Gold Star :geno:

I do not understand the appeal of runny cinnamon chili on spaghetti noodles, most definitely a weird regional fast food offering.

edit:

Resting Lich Face posted:

Free white trash stoner dad!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I do not understand the appeal of runny cinnamon chili on spaghetti noodles, most definitely a weird regional fast food offering.

:same:

It's not good IMHO, but it's the best we've got

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The biggest local fast food restaurant I can think of is Chicken Treat. For other Aussies imagine extra bogan Red Rooster. For non Aussies, imagine microwaved fried chicken and generic supermarket nuggets. And really dry lovely roast chicken. Chips are usually pretty good though.

On local fast food dishes, I dunno the continental roll is probably the only thing I can think of that I couldn't find over east. It's like the 3 meats (mortadella, salami and coppa in this case) Italian sub you get everywhere there's Italian diaspora, but it's got this mix of pickled veggies and sometimes anchovy that I don't find in similar Italian subs elsewhere or at least over east. You sometimes get given the anchovies on the side with a little tub of fermented chili sauce so you can add them or not.

TheAardvark posted:

2 things:

wtf are any of those fish other than Flounder

and can you actually tell the difference between all of them in fish & chips? :thunk:

Flake's made from shark meat typically wobbegong or gummy it's got a pretty different texture being shark meat. That and barramundi (it's really mild, like if someone's like 'i don't like fish flavour' you get barramundi) would be the ones that'd really stand out to me. Though we don't get barracuda and grenadier round here.

Also wobbegongs look cool

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Yeah...I'm thinking I'm rax

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brolander posted:

I remember really liking Rax when I was a kid, but they all disappeared

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

If you're in the PNW, you can't go wrong with Taco Time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Rage posted:

If you're in the PNW, you can't go wrong with Taco Time.

:yeah:

I miss Taco Time. Weirdly enough, I came across one at a truck stop in Kansas :psyduck:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember really liking Rax when I was a kid, but they all disappeared

yeah the one in my hometown is long gone. we also had a BONANZA

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
in CA we have Tommy's

https://originaltommys.com/

Really good chilidogs / burgers and its great drunk food because they're open late

flyingporcupine
Feb 21, 2010

by Pragmatica
You start running in to Cook Out once you hit southern Virginia and then all of a sudden its everywhere. Southern bingo points for it having bible verses on the bottom of the cups. One North Carolina exclusive I'm a huge fan of is Biscuitville, biscuits made in store, every time I'm driving through I grab like 5 ultimate sausage biscuits and that's pretty much all I eat for the next 3 days.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

I miss Taco Time. Weirdly enough, I came across one at a truck stop in Kansas :psyduck:

There are two different Taco Time companies, one is Taco Time NW(which is the one you see all over the PNW) and the main Taco Time, which is more spread out and has a different menu.
Taco Time NW rocks, never been to the other one.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Brolander posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06ZpclNi50

Wanna go sit down in that greenhaas

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peachfart posted:

There are two different Taco Time companies, one is Taco Time NW(which is the one you see all over the PNW) and the main Taco Time, which is more spread out and has a different menu.
Taco Time NW rocks, never been to the other one.

Interesting. You know what you have in the PNW that you should have mentoned? loving Ivar's you heathen!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Interesting. You know what you have in the PNW that you should have mentoned? loving Ivar's you heathen!

No joke, I just came back to this thread to post about Ivars.
I'm not a huge seafood fan but Ivars rocks. From the marketing slogan 'Keep Clam', to the solid food and the downtown Seattle location on the waterfront is open super late and is perfect for wandering down and grabbing a fish and chips after going to the bars.
I don't like clam chowder but from people who do, it is apparently really good.

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

In AZ/NM we have Filiberto's. We went to one on vacation in Albuquerque once and got the stupidest amount of food cheap. When we moved out here it became our insta favorite. It definitely beats the pants off Taco Bell or Del Taco.

Their cups say they're the "Original Berto's" I had no idea what that meant until we moved out here and I discovered there is also Juaniberto's, Julioberto's, etc. We've seen about a dozen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peachfart posted:

No joke, I just came back to this thread to post about Ivars.
I'm not a huge seafood fan but Ivars rocks. From the marketing slogan 'Keep Clam', to the solid food and the downtown Seattle location on the waterfront is open super late and is perfect for wandering down and grabbing a fish and chips after going to the bars.
I don't like clam chowder but from people who do, it is apparently really good.

I miss it, I wish I could get Ivar's in Ohio :smith:

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
P Terry’s OP. I ate there yesterday because I am a fat sack of garbage

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Iron Crowned posted:

I had never in my life heard of chili spaghetti until I met my wife and she made me try it. I was prepared to grimace through the meal but homemade it's like, pretty excellent as far as meat + sauce + pasta dishes go.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

aaaaawwwwww yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh :btroll:

Iron Crowned posted:

when i was in basketball band in college, we went to cincinnati for a tournament and one of my bandmates was SO STOKED about being able to eat skyline chili again

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Re: hosed up Ohio-Kentucky chili - if it doesn't have two pounds of finely shredded cheddar, it's blasphemy. The main function of the cheese is so that you don't have to look at the chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

In Wisconsin (and Illinois and Indiana) we have Cousins, a sub place. they are pretty great with good bread, and do hot griddled stuff like cheesesteaks along with the usual cold cut stuff. Plus it's one of the few sub places that has shakes, fries, and CHEESE CURDS