Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Let’s talk doughnuts. I’d love to learn about these badboys in your neck of the woods.

For me, the humble doughnut begins at home, where my grand ma made th for carnival. In Poland, the dough is filled with rose petal jam and deep fried, then sprinkled with fine grain sugar.

You can get doughnuts on the way to work either on city cornerd or in most bakeries. These usually are glazed and come witz some strange toppings, like nut or coconut flakes, and a variety of fillings, ranging from jam to vanilla pudding or chocolate.

Doughnuts are a thing in Germany, too, though they can ne seasonal (west Germany). They seem lighter to me, and the glazed variety only shows up for lent. Instead, German doughnuts are often sprinkled with sugar and served in cafes with a fork. They’re called Berliner up North and West and Krempfen down south.

Theres also a subtype - small doughnut balls without filling, served glazed in Poland. Because theyre smaller, the outer skin tends to be crunchy. A German variant comes with sweet white cheese (quark) mixed into dough - thus the name, quarkballchen.

Finally, my favorite discovery from the Netherlands, mostly available from streetmarlets during lent. Oliebollen seem to be drowned in oil, to the point that theyll just melt through a paper bag and leave an oily aftertaste in you mouth. Theyre smaller, seem to be heavier and are also available with fillings, though my fave is plain. I usually have 5 to 10 and have stomach ache and no hunger for a day.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mokotow posted:

In Poland, before McDonald’s, we used to have “zapiekanka” - a baguette cut in half, with cheese, mushrooms and ketchup, always sold from tiny campers strategically placed outside markets and central plazas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapiekanka

Some people try to bring them back, but they were a product of their time.

hmm, they were still around 15 years (oh god) when i last lived inn poland. those were okay but i preferred when tomato sauce was used rather than ketchup. polish ketchup and how some poles will use it with anything (say, spaghetti) would make for an interesting topic all on it's own. it really doesn't taste like what you'd find in a heinz bottle. i used to hate it for that reason, before appreciating it as it's own separate thing.

my favorite not actually polish but better than any other i've had fast food was this kind of panini sold in warsaw underground passages, the oskar. idk on its face it wasn't anything special, but those were some of the best drat sandwiches i've ever had. this was also a deacde plus ago, so it might be quite different today. can't find a website

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oskar was super popular, and then it wasn’t and now it’s gone, though there are some copycat stores in the underground passages you mention.

Best I can guess what happened is a rapid increase in coffee bars, like Costa, Green Coffee and Starbucks - you can still get a panini there , or some fancier baguettes, AND a coffee, albeit for 4x the price, which shows how the economy boomed in the last decade.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
When I was in Istanbul back in '012, there seemed to be a fair number of Dominoes.

Also kebab places everywhere, but that was to be expected.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Richman is the best named mayo blob ever. Slung on the touristy cobble streets of Bratislava they will ask you from behind their Richman carts, if you are sure you want a richman. Because anyone with an outlander accent is not likely able to handle the amount of mayo that MUST go into a Richman by EU PDO laws. I said back "yes, I want a Richman" and was handed an open wodge of bread that was glistening under the streetlights outside the presidential palace with more ham topped mayo than I ever thought I'd ingest. But ingest I did.

Second best thing I ate in Slovakia for sure.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Speleothing posted:

Also kebab places everywhere, but that was to be expected.

Same, but Germany.

Doner Kebab.

The immigrant's gift to Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7vVEH0kQMA

After leaving, I was waking up in cold sweats.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

might deserve it's own thread, but this thing from holland

can't get much faster than a wall of coin operated food dispensers

e:might cover the stuff within later. the dutch picked up a lot of great food from their colonies.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 5, 2020

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Rinkles posted:

might deserve it's own thread, but this thing from holland

can't get much faster than a wall of coin operated food dispensers

e:might cover the stuff within later. the dutch picked up a lot of great food from their colonies.

Nice, an automat!

Until the 1970s, they were very common.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Nice, an automat!

Until the 1970s, they were very common.

huh cool. what happened? McD offered a better/warmer meal?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Rinkles posted:

huh cool. what happened? McD offered a better/warmer meal?

Yeah, looks like

quote:

By the 1970s, automats like Horn & Hardart were fading in popularity, and the culprits were easy to identify. First, fast-food chains like McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken offered much more limited menus, but a more identifiable "taste," and they also enjoyed the benefits of lower labor and food costs. Second, urban workers were less inclined to punctuate their days with leisurely lunches, complete with appetizer, main course, and dessert, and preferred to grab lighter meals on the fly; one imagines that the fiscal crisis in 1970's New York also encouraged more people to bring their meals to the office from home.
https://www.thoughtco.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-automat-4152992

RIP nickel coffee

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The noble meat pie:

Available with a variety of fillings but the pictured two lovely sausages, ketchup, mustard and cucumber relish is the most iconic one. Famously compared to Dibbler's meat pies in one of the earlier Discworld books :finland:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

holland also kapsalon, which is afaik just döner and fries plus salad. never eaten it!

there's also the patatjeorloog (potato war)

which is just fries with a lot of mayo and ketchup or whatever sauce

In Belgium we also had kipkorn, basically fried chicken on a stick (or just sausagey like in this photo)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

popular in southern germany and austria is leberkäs (liver cheese?) in a bun

It's not really liver I think, more like mystery meat. tastes nice!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

mike12345 posted:

popular in southern germany and austria is leberkäs (liver cheese?) in a bun

It's not really liver I think, more like mystery meat. tastes nice!

Oh yeah that poo poo is great, it's called leberkasse here which I assume is just liver cheese in German but in a country where most people don't do umlauts. German place near an old office of mine had it on sandwiches with some pickles, onion and tomato.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 5, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Lebarkas is absolutely awesome. It’t basically pink sausage roasted as a loaf, then sliced, smothered in sweet or hot mustard, and put into a white bun with crust. It’s can also be as cheap as a euro.

Downsides - you mostly need to buy it during lunch at 12 to 14. Other places sell it, like gas stations, but it’s not very dependable if they’ll have it.

AFAIK the name has nothing to do with liver or cheese (though you sometines can get it with cheese in the meat, feh). Down south they would also jokingly call it LKW which is german for truck as opposed to PKW - passanger car.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 5, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This monstrosity (a tame version of it) is a Mitraillette, or machine gun and you can mostly get it in Brussels. The basic recipe is a flat baguette cut in half, filled with meats, french fries and mayonnaise. You can also get the turbo version, which is what I had, with beef, two frankfurters and sauerkraut, plus the standard french fries and mayo.

The thing about the Mitrailette is that its a random hodgepodge of things that doesn’t taste like anything special, doesn’t really work and is, generally, kinda poo poo, like Belgium.

Also blood tests are back, I have high sugar and too much cholesterol sp this thread and forum is my safe space until I get to have fast food again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You'd think the automat would be primed for a comeback. There's definitely a market for premade takeaway meals and the upscaled vending machine model would do better with milennials and zoomers than it did with boomers. Tie purchases to an app maybe.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

You'd think the automat would be primed for a comeback. There's definitely a market for premade takeaway meals and the upscaled vending machine model would do better with milennials and zoomers than it did with boomers. Tie purchases to an app maybe.

Isn’t it a question of volume? I’m pulling this out of my rear end but highstreet traffic was much lower in the 70s. Keeping it stocked and with a hundred people queuing nonstop wouldn’t work that well.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Mokotow posted:

The thing about the Mitrailette is that its a random hodgepodge of things that doesn’t taste like anything special, doesn’t really work and is, generally, kinda poo poo, like Belgium.
Ah-ha-hehehe. Another cool thing you can get in Belgium (and probably nowhere else because of food sanitation rules), is filet americain.

It's basically raw minced meat spread on a bun or baguette. Bon appetit! You better pray you're not getting worms or whatnot from that stuff.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mike12345 posted:

No no no No NO NO!

Patatje oorlog is Fries with mayonaise and saté sauce and onions. Saté or satay is Indonesian peanut sauce and it single handedly justifies our colonization of the archipelago.

Also the only reason I don't shove filet Americain into my mouth every day is the cost. Toxoplasm be damned. Don't eat it if you're pregnant though.

AlexanderCA fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 5, 2020

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Big fan of the uks very own wimpy burger, they serve McDonald's type stuff but on plates with cutlery and stuff. It's wild.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
One my last few trips into Europe I've encountered O'Tacos, who seem to be spreading like wildfire. "French Tacos", which is to say wraps of meats, sauces and fries toasted in something like a panini press. Simple, but distinctive, varied, tasty and filling.

The second one was much too big for one! Mojito 7up was incredible as well, think it's gone now. Top one is a raclette, possibly limited but they offer several with cheese on top.

And what's the deal with Quick? I gather it's owned by burger king, but the fries and patties seem identical to McDonalds.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 5, 2020

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Rinkles posted:

hmm, they were still around 15 years (oh god) when i last lived inn poland. those were okay but i preferred when tomato sauce was used rather than ketchup. polish ketchup and how some poles will use it with anything (say, spaghetti) would make for an interesting topic all on it's own. it really doesn't taste like what you'd find in a heinz bottle. i used to hate it for that reason, before appreciating it as it's own separate thing.

Yeah, the first time I ever went when I was old enough to be cognizant (my mom took me three times between the ages of 1 and 6 and I don't remember poo poo), I discovered that ketchup. Some distant relative was excited to fire up the grill and cook some sausages, and said, "We even have ketchup!"

Every so often, I consider keeping a bottle of the stuff in my fridge just so I can show people here what I mean when I say that Polish ketchup isn't like what we think of as ketchup in North America.

BizarroAzrael posted:

The second one was much too big for one! Mojito 7up was incredible as well, think it's gone now.

gently caress yeah, I remember 7up Mojito when I was there two years ago. The only thing that perplexed me about the food in Paris was that every single kebab shop I went into served it on a grilled bun. Maybe it was just my luck, but is that a French thing or something? Every other European country I've visited had kebab in a pita (or at least a wrap).

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

mike12345 posted:

holland also kapsalon, which is afaik just döner and fries plus salad. never eaten it!

In Belgium we also had kipkorn, basically fried chicken on a stick (or just sausagey like in this photo)

The kapsalon is a gods gift when you're out late at night, drunk as gently caress and looking to eat. Go to the random late night snack bar, order that bad boy, dump a ton of garlic sauce over it and just dig in.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Should probably try dropping some mint flavour into normal Sprite/7up

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ah, I'm now craving for makkaraperunat/taksari (fries and sausages/'the taxi driver', on account of their famously bad diet)

It's pretty self-explanatory. The sausage is the cheapest variety, everything is fried to oblivion in dirty oil and topped with 'all condiments' i.e. relish, onion, ketchup, mustard and mayo. Nothing like it when you're drunk off your skull! Gonna get some on Saturday and try to not have a heart attack.

e: Ah, we're ofc talking about Finland. There's also the more traditional lörtsy, an eastern variation on the lihis or meat pie:

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 5, 2020

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
OP has weak info. Taco bell just came to finland like two years ago and they're still floating around. Sucking and being too expensive. But around.

e: Further info. Hesburger is dogshit, Scanburger is great.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should probably try dropping some mint flavour into normal Sprite/7up

I did this a few times with a can of Ginger Ale. Surprisingly good. Just took a couple of leaves, crushed them up with my fingers and dropped them into the can.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

mike12345 posted:

It's basically raw minced meat spread on a bun or baguette. Bon appetit! You better pray you're not getting worms or whatnot from that stuff.

Strangely enough this is also a delicacy in Nordrhein Westphalia in Germany, adjacent to Belgium, called Mett. I had work colleagues bring bread buns and a jar of the stuff and build a million of these for everyone around the office, they even had a semi funny name for it. The meat itself also made it’s way to Poland, where it’s called Metka, and is sold in grocery stores as a sandwich spread.

Mett

Metka

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

One my last few trips into Europe I've encountered O'Tacos, who seem to be spreading like wildfire. "French Tacos", which is to say wraps of meats, sauces and fries toasted in something like a panini press. Simple, but distinctive, varied, tasty and filling.

The second one was much too big for one! Mojito 7up was incredible as well, think it's gone now. Top one is a raclette, possibly limited but they offer several with cheese on top.

And what's the deal with Quick? I gather it's owned by burger king, but the fries and patties seem identical to McDonalds.

The French Tacos seems to be a thing happening. I’ve seen a bunch of places pop up here in Warsaw. Seemed unspecific enough for me to go for it.

As for Quick, this explains so much. I had no idea Quick was taken over by BK, but it seems the Belgian ones have gone to other owners since then, and I only tried it in Brussels last year and in France long before 2007. I’ll have to give it a go next time in France.

As for what’s wrong with it - it’s just uninspired and tastes like an early 90’s floppy burger. Maybe BK fixed it. It’s strange since fast food and burgs are huge in France and the french McD is really great. Quick is sorta kinda there, not really trying anything new. Guess you go there if you’re French and don’t want to support filthy imperialists? :shrug:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Nurge posted:

OP has weak info. Taco bell just came to finland like two years ago and they're still floating around. Sucking and being too expensive. But around.

e: Further info. Hesburger is dogshit, Scanburger is great.

Snacky is easily the best burger chain in Finland. Or at least it was like 5 years ago when I last ate there

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Not a chain, but on my last trip to Europe, I fell in love with cevapi in Croatia and Slovenia. For those unaware, they're basically delicious, greasy, smoky grilled caseless sausages that are served in a pita-like bun. Without casing, the ground meat is infused with the smoke from the grill. The bun soaks up the grease and flavour that runs off of the meat and becomes nice and soft.

Wish I'd taken a picture when I had it. That one's from Wikipedia.

One of the supermarkets where I live sell the meat, but it's not quite the same if you just use a cast-iron pan. The grill is necessary, I think. I have to find out how to make Ajvar, the red pepper-based sauce that comes with it, because it's also really nice. Not too sweet.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If you ever find yourself in Czech you should try smažený sýr, aka breaded deep fried cheese

Nothing quite like a slab of that with a dozen 50 cent beers for when you feel like shaving a couple of years off your life

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

Not a chain, but on my last trip to Europe, I fell in love with cevapi in Croatia and Slovenia. For those unaware, they're basically delicious, greasy, smoky grilled caseless sausages that are served in a pita-like bun. Without casing, the ground meat is infused with the smoke from the grill. The bun soaks up the grease and flavour that runs off of the meat and becomes nice and soft.

If you're ever in Australia we got these too, call em chevups though. Or dog dicks. Cause we are a juvenile culture.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
I've been at Porto and other locations of Portugal and I think they have the best fast/cholesterol death bomb piece of food.

It's called the Francesinha, called that way because local stereotypes picture French women as tasty and spicy.

It's a sandwich with all the mammal meats available: "linguiça" sausage(pork), bife(grilled beef steak), bacon and ham. The sandwich is topped woth a fried egg and lots of melted cheese, all while afloat on a sea of beer tomato and piri-piri peppers sauce. Every empty space on the plate will be filled to the brim with french fries.

According to Porto people, a person qualifies as Portuguese if it is capable of eating one of those in one sitting.

Here in Spain cholesterol isn't that interesting, but we've got our own pizza fast food chains, such as Telepizza (now expanding to Latin America) and Pizza Movil. They are really good and tend to beat foreign chains such as Domino's.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How could I have forgotten this! Though, to be fair, taste-wise it’s nothing to write home about, other than eating a 5000 calorie meal.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

Wish I'd taken a picture when I had it. That one's from Wikipedia.

One of the supermarkets where I live sell the meat, but it's not quite the same if you just use a cast-iron pan. The grill is necessary, I think. I have to find out how to make Ajvar, the red pepper-based sauce that comes with it, because it's also really nice. Not too sweet.

You should really eat them with kajmak, which is a dairy product similar to Creme Fraiche, it's delicious. Here in Sweden we have bunch of little carts and kiosks selling this.

Burek is another top notch Balkanese street food, it's not hard to make at home either, just sort of time consuming.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

european fast food is loving nasty lol ahaha :roflolmao:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ferroque posted:

european fast food is loving nasty lol ahaha :roflolmao:

Yeah I have to say most of that looks really bland and brown. Some of the stuff is just weird. Like, let's throw a sliced tomato and slab of mayo on the side of the plate. Like, why? Half of everything seems to be fries and those fries don't even look good. Here's a tub of a bunch of completely random ingredients. Magnificent!

Come on Europe you have to have something decent looking at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's not a coincidence that burger chains and kebab shops are so popular compared to more traditional fast foods