Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Tim Hortons is a Canadian coffee and doughnut chain started in Ontario in the 1960s by a hockey player, because of course it was. Over the years the chain has cemented itself as a Canadian cultural icon and now enjoys a near-total dominance of coffee and doughnut sales in the Great White North.

Its most notable contributions to the world of fast food are its boxes of donut holes called Timbits, as well as the Double-Double, a black coffee served with double cream and double sugar. This is necessary because Tim Hortons' coffee tastes like hot water with dirt swirled in it, and dirt tastes better sweetened.

Canadians drink the poo poo out of it anyway, partly because it's amazingly cheap but also because Canada lacks any kind of actual national identity that's common to everyone in the country, so allegiance to a coffee chain will have to do for now. This allegiance is so strong that there was recently a kerfluffle when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had the gall to buy donuts from a locally-owned shop in Winnipeg instead of doing the patriotic thing and getting them from an international chain owned by Brazilians.

Just get McDonald's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
Here to back up that Tim Hortons loving sucks. The sandwiches are, at best, overpriced and half the size of something from Quiznos, which can at times be hit or mess. McDonald's entirely runs the coffee game here if your tongue happens to work, while Tim Hortons is like the time my roomie decided that rinsing the coffee pot was all you needed, and just keep going without washing it ever, or really cleaning anything on the coffee maker, and then wondering why it looks gross inside.

The donuts are rarely alright, compared to a decade ago, to where hitting up a Safeway for the day olds is generally always a solid bet to take instead if you want quality. And that should tell you something!

The absolute only place I will give Tim Hortons anything resembling a prop is with Iced Caps, and I deserve all the scorn that position holds. Just hurry up and steal that McDonald's, and free me of even that twice-yearly visit.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
what bugs me most about Timmies is that everything is soft, mushy and flavourless. And if you ask for salt and pepper you receive 2 teeny tiny little pouches that aren't even enough to add much taste.
I suspect it's all made so that even people without teeth can still gnaw their way through the various food products without too much effort.

And further to EightFlyingCars point about Trudeau, what was left out of most of the stories is that Tim Hortons' donut selection is stuck in the past, with a scant few updates like red velvet.
OTOH the place Trudeau bought from, features interesting flavour profiles like

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I live just up the block from that local donut shop, can confirm it owns and no one should get a donut from Tim's when that's an option

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The coffee is fine but the donuts fuckin suck.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
It's total loving garbage but I kinda like the honey cruller which can be suspiciously wet

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Weirdly Tim Hortons in now rolling out in Northern Ireland where they clearly have identified a market for poo poo tier coffee and bad doughnuts

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Listen up fuckos ya’ll don’t know what the hell youre talking about. Tim Hortons is a critical fuel supply for the working man, the honest man. You always know what you’re gonna get with Tim Hortons and that’s the way we like it. You can always rely on Tim Hortons to be open at 2 am and still have a line to the door until an angry man rips up all the sandwich loafs in a fit of rage at the 4th drunken order of 3 Turkey Bacon Clubs (Large, with a side of chili).

You just don’t “get” Timmy Hos.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
You know when I visited Canada, I got told by friends over there to just get McDonalds since they actually took Tim's old supplier.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Tim Horton's coffee is the Bud Light of coffee: It's for people who want a cheap caffeine hit but don't actually want to drink something that tastes like coffee. The dark roast that they eventually capitulated on is okay if you're on the highway and need a kick, but in major urban areas where you can throw a rock and hit 5 cafes, there's no point in getting it.

I admit that if I'm forced to be there, I may cave and get a honey cruller or a boston cream, but even then I feel regret and disappointment since they clearly don't taste fresh anymore.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Coolwhoami posted:

Listen up fuckos ya’ll don’t know what the hell youre talking about. Tim Hortons is a critical fuel supply for the working man, the honest man. You always know what you’re gonna get with Tim Hortons and that’s the way we like it. You can always rely on Tim Hortons to be open at 2 am and still have a line to the door until an angry man rips up all the sandwich loafs in a fit of rage at the 4th drunken order of 3 Turkey Bacon Clubs (Large, with a side of chili).

You just don’t “get” Timmy Hos.

when i drove to saskatchewan my eyes were opened, and my grandparents devotion to tims made sense, finally. there is nothing sweater then a sign on the godforsaken prairies letting you know that there is an oasis with a bathroom and a bottle of peach juice and and old fashioned plain donut, just waiting for you.

there's gonna be a stringy old bird behind the counter, and she is gonna be kinda salty but you'll see her kindness to the rest of the employees and think, i bet she's a really nice gramma. you'll bond over your love of the peach juice, and your shared insomnia when she's surprised you don't want a coffee and have to explain.

soon enough your bladder is empty and your heart is full and you are back on the road, happy for timmies.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

neongrey posted:

I live just up the block from that local donut shop, can confirm it owns and no one should get a donut from Tim's when that's an option

Sorry you live in Winnipeg

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
honey crullers are legit. i still go to timmy's cuz the coffee shop game in metro detroit sucks rear end. mcdonalds? gently caress that poo poo.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Literally every food item comes frozen and is convection oven'd until it's warmed through. I think the only thing the "baker" does now is inject the donut fillings for things like Boston Creams, or dips/powders/sprinkles them.

Truly garbage-tier.

what is this nonsense. it used to be delicious and tasted like freshly squeezed peaches, now it's toxic orange chemical water.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

just another posted:

what is this nonsense. it used to be delicious and tasted like freshly squeezed peaches, now it's toxic orange chemical water.

i always remember it being terrible. it reminds me of the M&Ms peach drink mix my grandmother used to make so sometimes i enjoy the trashy food sense memory.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Hm. :colbert:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I still like the Honey Crullers and Canadian Maple donuts. Their sandwiches used to be pretty decent as well until they decided to cut costs by having everything shipped frozen.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker but McDonalds >>>>> Tims 100%

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 5, 2020

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Let's talk more about places you can get donuts that aren't day-old thawed-out sugar disappointments

Specifically, I wanna talk about

The Donut Mill is a locally-owned deli and bakery in Red Deer, AB that's right off of Gasoline Alley aka The Most Albertan Street Name In The Entire Province. If you're driving between Edmonton and Calgary, you can't miss it, and you really shouldn't miss it because their donuts kick rear end. I'm really fond of their ultra-cakey chocolate coconut, and their Donut Mill Special, a Boston Creme with maple fondant instead of chocolate, is exactly the right amount of maple you'd want without it going overboard.

I haven't had their coffee, but their food is pretty good, except for their poutine which they make with shredded cheese instead of cheese curds and that's WRONG and BAD and HOW DARE THEY but just calm down and have a donut about it, okay?

Go ahead, have one. Or several ones. You'll feel better.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Sorry you live in Winnipeg

yeah me too

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

The coffee is fine but the donuts fuckin suck.

The donuts are just dreadful. Here you hope there is a Robins Donuts nearby.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

EightFlyingCars posted:

Let's talk more about places you can get donuts that aren't day-old thawed-out sugar disappointments

Specifically, I wanna talk about

Go ahead, have one. Or several ones. You'll feel better.

I drive by and think about the Donut Mill every time I go visit my friend in Edmonton and now I'll have to stop.

Edit: Jelly Modern Donuts or Hoopla Donuts in Calgary are both real good.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

I drive by and think about the Donut Mill every time I go visit my friend in Edmonton and now I'll have to stop.

I'm gonna check them out, please look forward to a trip report ITT

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

EightFlyingCars posted:

Tim Hortons is a Canadian coffee and doughnut chain started in Ontario in the 1960s by a hockey player, because of course it was. Over the years the chain has cemented itself as a Canadian cultural icon and now enjoys a near-total dominance of coffee and doughnut sales in the Great White North.

Its most notable contributions to the world of fast food are its boxes of donut holes called Timbits, as well as the Double-Double, a black coffee served with double cream and double sugar. This is necessary because Tim Hortons' coffee tastes like hot water with dirt swirled in it, and dirt tastes better sweetened.

Canadians drink the poo poo out of it anyway, partly because it's amazingly cheap but also because Canada lacks any kind of actual national identity that's common to everyone in the country, so allegiance to a coffee chain will have to do for now. This allegiance is so strong that there was recently a kerfluffle when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had the gall to buy donuts from a locally-owned shop in Winnipeg instead of doing the patriotic thing and getting them from an international chain owned by Brazilians.

Just get McDonald's

lol

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Timmies has one thing going for it (aside from having the Farmer's wrap as a standard menu item so I don't have to explain every time that I want the hash brown in the food item) and that's orange juice. They don't give you a lot but what they have is good.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'll never forgive Tim Hortons for replacing the honey mustard sauce on the Turkey Bacon Club with some horrendous ranch sauce.

Like, when they did it I didn't go there for months because I was that pissed off.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

I'll never forgive Tim Hortons for replacing the honey mustard sauce on the Turkey Bacon Club with some horrendous ranch sauce.

Like, when they did it I didn't go there for months because I was that pissed off.

What the gently caress?! That was the only good sandwich, and the honey mustard was the only reason it was good. Now I have to order a BLT and get disappointed when they put mayo on it against my wishes. Tim Hortons sucks.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
i will probably never post in this subforum again but let it be known:

tim hortons loving SUCKS

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MakaVillian posted:

I've driven to Red Deer specifically for Donut Mill twice and if I'm on an errand anywhere north of Innisfail it's basically a mandatory stop. Get you some donut mill.
They're not otherworldly or anything but there's something to be said for a nice, competent unpretentious old-school donut and a good sandwich for cheap. Their coffee is quite good too but I find myself putting a lot of cream in it. More because they serve it way hot than anything, mind.

Anyway gently caress Tom Hurtins, especially now that the Turkey Bacon Club has no mustard.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
American Tim Hortons somehow tastes worse* than Canadian and I have no idea why.

*Canadian Tim Hortons also does not taste good.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
loving lmao some coworker's have plans for the Donut Mill on a trip soon. People keep telling me it's been worse lately but I haven't had one of their donuts in a decade. I wish they had a vegan option.

Devon (a place on earth) has Frickin Delights though and those are good.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I frequently visit Vancouver and as an American I had to try Tim Hortons just for the knowledge.

The coffee, while flavorless, has the benefit of being scalding hot and undrinkable for the first 7 hours after you’ve purchased it.

Also poutine at TH is seasonal??? Disgraceful.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I've driven to Red Deer specifically for Donut Mill twice and if I'm on an errand anywhere north of Innisfail it's basically a mandatory stop. Get you some donut mill.
They're not otherworldly or anything but there's something to be said for a nice, competent unpretentious old-school donut and a good sandwich for cheap. Their coffee is quite good too but I find myself putting a lot of cream in it. More because they serve it way hot than anything, mind.

Anyway gently caress Tom Hurtins, especially now that the Turkey Bacon Club has no mustard.

A Sandwich and a Donut sounds like a real good way to break up that horrendous 3 hour drive.

I used to love Tims' Black Forest Ham and Swiss and I will admit to having one of their Greek Yogurt Parfait's for breakfast occasionally.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

tim horton's coffee is perfect for someone who hates coffee but is addicted to caffeine, and its donuts are cheap as poo poo and taste mostly okay

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

also going into a gas station in a small village in ireland and seeing that the back half of it was somehow a tim horton's was one of the most surreal experiences of my life and I genuinely thought I was having a stroke

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

yeah gently caress Tim Hortons. The breakfast wraps are ok I guess but A&W breakfast is way better and still fast food

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Justin Trudeau has made a lot of poor decisions during his tenure as Prime Minister, but choosing Oh Doughnuts over Tim Hortons is definitely not one of them.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Entorwellian posted:

Justin Trudeau has made a lot of poor decisions during his tenure as Prime Minister, but choosing Oh Doughnuts over Tim Hortons is definitely not one of them.
The only people upset over that are the type of conservatives who kneejerk hate everything he does so they of course acted like paying extra for donuts that don't suck poo poo is a horrendous waste of taxpayer money.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The donuts are pretty poo poo UNLESS you microwave certain ones.

For example, an apple fritter turns absolutely delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The donuts are pretty poo poo UNLESS you microwave certain ones.

For example, an apple fritter turns absolutely delicious.

edit: I misunderstood

Yeah Horton's are bad.