Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://i.imgur.com/EDThOXU.mp4
(I'm actually bi but that didn't sound as funny)

The Saboteur?

Chances are if you've heard of it, you heard of it through word of mouth. One of Pandemic Studios' defining games was Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, an open world game with tons of destructible environments and ways to destroy them, and you're rewarded for nearly all of them. A sequel was made that was supposed to have even more destruction as well as a PMC management sim, however in between games, Electronic Arts absorbed the studio. As they loving do, EA slashed their budget and demanded they release earlier, meaning while still a great game, it was clearly unfinished and you can see where the devs clearly wanted to do more.

Their next game was The Saboteur! A game EA did no loving advertising for and immediately liquidated Pandemic because it didn't do as many sales as they wanted. Most people at this point have a studio or two that was close to their heart before being offed by EA, for me it's Westwood and Pandemic.

How's this LP going to go?

I'm gonna get ripshit drunk and kill nazis while my fiance cheers and/or admonishes me depending on how well I'm doing. It's not a completionist run but considering how often I get distracted by nazi killing, I might accidentally 100% it.

Episodes:

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 1 - I Want To Kick This Guy In The Balls To Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aw yes, ground floor. I have been waiting for this :getin:

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Oh, yeah, Saboteur is a fun game. It's definitely a janky 6/10 open-world-em-up, everything you need from an entertaining B-game

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Of all the games Dan could play in an LP, this is the one where I would expect drinking conditions. And yet...

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hell yes

please punch out a cow eventually

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Time for some over the top accents from all directions all the time.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I only know about this game because of a Zero Punctuation review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci84XpISE7Q

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Played this game a lot back when I had a PS3. Loved it. Will gladly watch another LP. Hope you at some point show off Level 5 alarms, punching cows, & how stupidly comical the AI can be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's nice that the developers realized the player's urge would be to fling and/or curbstomp nazis, even during the idyllic inciting incident, and did not punish you for doing so.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Oh poo poo! Ground floor baby. As a fellow queer, I look forward to watching you get drunk and kill nazis.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I loved the end.

The presented a drive her quest and you wandered off and started murdering nazis instead.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I loving loved this game! Please fist fight a cow.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FoolyCharged posted:

I loved the end.

The presented a drive her quest and you wandered off and started murdering nazis instead.

I'm glad you found that funny because here's a taste of how I tend to be on missions :v

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1238612308290670594

Just a side note, currently I'm planning on releasing episode 2 tomorrow since while the story stuff is fun, the real shenanigans start afterwards. After episode 2 I'll release them every few days like normal

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This game's a lot of stupid fun, and has my favourite B-sandbox trait of having unlockables that just break the difficulty over its knee that you can get early on. Plus as a fellow gay alcoholic it's always good to see some good wholesome nazi-killin'

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Angry French man asks Dan to kill Nazis. Gets everything he hoped for, and everything he feared.

Also holy poo poo, I had no idea the Saboteur was going to be an 80's sports movie gone horribly wrong.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I loved this game and thought it deserved way more recognition than it got.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Section Z posted:

Also holy poo poo, I had no idea the Saboteur was going to be an 80's sports movie gone horribly wrong.

That's actually a shockingly accurate description of The Saboteur

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 2 - Foofaffel

I'm kinda sorry for the juxtaposition between the really dark sad scene, and the gleeful impish nazi-killing laughter immediately afterwards, but not THAT sorry

Danaru fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 1, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Dan, the Luftwaffe was the airforce. As a fellow bi drunk Canadian who got way into Canada's WWII (and WWI) history in high school I am disappointed in you.

(But seriously, ahve you been to the national war museum in Ottawa? It's dope.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's been a while since we recorded so I might have misspoke some other time, but if its during the race, the Luftwaffe does a flyby that I forgot to look up at. I think the announcer mentions it's a safe bet we were yelling over him :v:

E: seriously we recorded the first batch in January, which feels like 17 years ago

Danaru fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 30, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Danaru posted:

It's been a while since we recorded so I might have misspoke some other time, but if its during the race, the Luftwaffe does a flyby that I forgot to look up at. I think the announcer mentions it's a safe bet we were yelling over him :v:

E: seriously we recorded the first batch in January, which feels like 17 years ago

I am referencing that. YOu called it a Wehrmacht plane then said that the Wehrmacht was the airforce. You may have been drunk.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am referencing that. YOu called it a Wehrmacht plane then said that the Wehrmacht was the airforce. You may have been drunk.

poo poo :frogdunce: I'm better at destroying German military stuff than I am at identifying it

VVVV hell yeah Chuck Yeager owns, and now I'm very worried since I see him tweeting at Trump and a bunch of right wing folks :ohdear: no chuck don't

Danaru fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 30, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
also a bunch of the nazi "glorious superior aryan technology" was pretty bad and you'll be pleased to know that their amazing new tanks occasionally caught fire while unloading from trains

also since you're talking planes, https://twitter.com/genchuckyeager/status/1060715511699382272

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a decade later, time for me to get worked up into a huff about EA killing Pandemic again
fuckin bastards

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I appreciate our hero gunning down six nazis while yelling 'So much for the fuckin' master race!'

And the complete inability to let the alert go away during the driving section because it would mean you weren't flattening nazis.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Basic Nazi unit terminology as far as this game goes (anyone who knows history better than me is welcome to correct me)-

Wehrmacht- foot soldiers. The Army. Basic grunts. Wear brown uniforms & steel helmets. The game has Soldiers and Officers if I recall correctly. The former have rifles or machine guns, the latter pistols.

Luftwaffe- Air Force. In the game they only appear in planes.

Kreigsmarine- Navy. They wear dark blue uniforms and mostly appear around the dock areas like Le Havre. Armed with machine guns.

SS- Schutz Staffel. Don’t ask me to spell that right or translate it. These are the guys in black uniforms with skull, iron cross, or eagle motifs. They were an elite unit of serious loyal Nazi soldiers that was disbanded when their party fell from power. They administered the death camps and could command the other military units. Supposed to be an Uber-military force. Of course they die as easy as anyone else. The game has enemy heavy arms soldiers (shotgun or heavy machine gun guys) and snipers (wield scoped rifles) specifically identified as SS.

Gestapo- civilian police force that was supposed to monitor the citizenry of Paris and other occupied areas for resistance. They wore black suits and derby hats. Think Major Toft from Raiders of the Lost Ark. You’ll meet Gestapo agents and generals, but the latter should be SS per the uniforms. Armed with pistols or machine guns. Generals wear the classic M Bison black cape and cap and typically have 2 SS heavy soldiers watching their backs.

Terror Squad- the armored goons with powerful guns and gas masks who start chasing you at Level 4 alerts. The game created these guys to seriously challenge you. I only spoil them because we haven’t met them yet and won’t in the main story for a while.

Doppelseig Crew- The guys in red uniforms whom you fought in the bar brawl that started Sean’s beef with our main villain Dierker. They don’t appear after that scene. I think they were Dierker’s pit crew or something. Doppelseig is the Nazi corporation that Dierker works for as a cover, we explore parts of their factory in the backstory missions and later, but they are a very unfinished part of the game. You’ll see what I mean as we continue the main story if you don’t already know. The factory is staffed by standard Nazis. Karl Eckhardt is mentioned as the General in charge and he has a female SS troubleshooter named Franziska, but neither of these characters appears as often as they should IMHO. Dierker at least gets more story presence and development.

Female SS are largely a creation of Nazi fan fiction by the way, or at least I think they were. I don’t see them much outside that genre in actual history. There were some notorious female Nazis, though. Eva Braun (Hitler’s wife) and Leni Riefenstahl (propaganda filmmaker) are probably the most famous. There was a Nazi minister of women’s rights named Gertrud Schultz-Klink, but she was largely a figurehead and not a powerful figure. The Nazi ideal had women subservient to men in politics and combat. The closest counterpart to a female Nazi SS member in real life was probably Ilse Koch, the wife of the commandant of the Buchenwald death camp who administered it alongside him and committed numerous war crimes. But there were no Nazi elite female snipers, pilots, or other soldiers. You had to look to Russia for such women.

Most prominent female Nazis were stuck up high society matron types enjoying their husbands’ wealth and power. This psychology caused them to buy into the Nazi philosophy, a self delusion that they sadly for the most part did not abandon after the war ended. There’s also of course the evidence in history that many prominent Nazis had illicit affairs. Hitler was bisexual and didn’t marry Eva until shortly before his death, though she was his mistress for over a decade. A previous mistress of his died under suspicious circumstances. His number two man Martin Bormann had ten kids with his wife but was also noted for cheating on her quite often. There are numerous other famous Nazi sex scandals too. I don’t have time to cover them all.

I can list off vehicles and weapons too if you like. There are fan sites out there to help with it and my memories of this game are good.

EDIT- (after watching the video). I never knew you could unlock the Aurora Machine Gun early and kill Dierker during the initial race (per the Saboteur wiki, this gets you a failed mission for unpermitted violence). There’s also a glitch that lets you kill him in the bar brawl per that same wiki. Way to include Time Paradoxes a la MGS3, game developers!

I expanded the bit on female Nazis above. History from Wikipedia.

If it’s not obvious after watching the video, Sean’s old girlfriend Skylar is a British spy. The game makes her out to be a female 007 (I’m not getting into the historical accuracy of such a character). Her superior is a guy named Bishop, and Dierker assumes Sean & Jules also work for the British. As opposed to just not liking him because he’s a psycho wanker who cheats at auto racing.

This game is seriously into climbing buildings if you didn’t know that already. There are some fun climbs available in Paris later. Hope you show them off when the time is right.

To quote a famous killer of German arseholes in the 1980s- Now I have a machine gun. Ho Ho Ho! :D

Gunslinger is your first Perk, an upgrade earned through in game challenges. Hope you get them all, they’re pretty fun to collect. Some are naturally harder than others.

Historically the Italians did end up kicking Mussolini out of power after the war went sour for them. Important to note that. Of course there were many Italian resistance fighters throughout the war too. Vittore is just the game’s example of them.

Jules & Veronique.’s parents sadly do not appear very much in the game either. Whereas Veronique is a prominent character and the death of Jules will always haunt Sean.

I agree that Mecha Hitler is a way more interesting opponent than senile Hitler. The latest entries in the Wolfenstein series piss me off for invalidating the badass cred of an entire generation, their hero BJ Blascowitz included. I know they had to continue the series somehow but come on! Oh well, back to this game.

I’m sure the more extremist Nazi hunters do kill them, but yeah, most are supposed to just bring them to justice. Not in video games though. :D

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 30, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
IRL the SS kind of sucked actually. They got all the good toys and yes they were fanatics, but a bunch of egomaniacs, murderers, thugs and meth heads don't fare too well when up against real soldiers even if they are in the latest over engineered shitbox.

Most of their actual military use in the later half of the war was to be thrown in as cannon fodder in hopeless battles to let werhmacht units escape and fall back to a better defence position, in which they tended to take horrific casualties because:

a) They were more or less by definition a bunch of loving idiots

b) The Soviets knew full well what they'd been up to and were in no mood to take prisoners in black uniforms.

There were even SS units formed out of whatever poor hopeless idiots the Germans could recruit from the ranks of Soviet PoWs, you can imagine how well they fought. The idea of the SS being anything but maniacal thugs used to do the Nazi party's dirty work is almost entirely neo nazi revisionism.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Danaru posted:

As they loving do, EA slashed their budget and demanded they release earlier, meaning while still a great game, it was clearly unfinished and you can see where the devs clearly wanted to do more.

do you have a source on this because I remember the Mercs 2 debacle being EA extending dev time by months and it still came out as a piece of poo poo, which seemed to point at Pandemic going up their own rear end. Then again I might still be bitter over the community rep shilling the game hard in Games and then when it came out, um, let's say nobody was happy.

the Saboteur did get the short end of the stick though. It's so close to being great. A dlc or two and it would've been there. As it is, it's just fun and good and imperfect and that's fine.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just so everyone knows, Pharnakes hit it on the head. If you want to know what kind of people the SS actually were, as opposed to the superhuman ubermensch most media portrays them as, just look at the :nms:36th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS*, who were too brutal even for the SS, suffered so many casualties the unit had to be reconstituted several times despite being mostly set loose among civilians, and did I mention the people who administered the death camps considered this lot too evil even for them?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 30, 2020

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Not to praise a nazi or anything, but that kick down the hatch was utterly glorious.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love how mindlessly stupid our German rival was here. "Hmmm... that other racer that I shot at followed me home. After breaking into the base, rather than investigate it at all he drove my car off a cliff. He must be a spy!"

Of course we DID murder a second nazi before the race began, so it's less applicable an argument here, but he shouldn't know about that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I shan't apologise for this :colbert:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I just want to note this now before we get too far into the game.

I am very pro-violence against Nazis. I do not like them. I do not tolerate intolerance in general, and people who promote it openly in any form- Nazis, KKK members, racial supremacists of any stripe, fundamentalist religious folk, extreme anti-religious folk (I am myself a proud agnostic who walks a delicate balance between acknowledging religion's potential for both good and evil), etc.- these people just piss me off. Especially those who hide behind the human rights of free speech to promote their hate. But Nazis, as the most prominent example in history of a hate group that rose to power and did a lot of damage, they have a special place in my anger towards intolerance. Along with anyone who considers them worthy of emulation. I will gladly support most any media that promotes killing Nazis.

At the same time, there are limits to my appreciation of violence against Nazis. I don't support torture of them for the sake of torture. It's important to maintain your own humanity as you fight inhuman jerks. Nor do I think suicide bombing Nazis is a good strategy. First reason- because you will then be dead and can't kill any more Nazis. There's also the potential for killing innocents as collateral damage, which is something you should avoid. Basically, Inglorious Bastards was a sucky movie and should not be emulated. Anyone who actually fought the good fight in WW2, or who supports those who do, and saw that movie should be appalled.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mikl posted:

:swoon: holy poo poo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Your car will unlock guns!"

You know it is a good car when it wants to kill Nazis just as much as you do :allears:

Christine killing nazis reboot when?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
you can look

or you can Come and See

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fish Noise posted:

you can look

or you can Come and See

Half of me is all :stonk:, while the rest just wants to cave a Nazi's head in with a hammer.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Mikl posted:

Nor should you!

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Kangra
May 7, 2012

'Wehrmacht' actually means the whole German military generally (it more or less translates as 'armed forces'), so you would have been correct in one sense. For whatever reason it is usually applied to the ground forces. This is possibly because 'Luftwaffe' is well-known as a term and the navy was largely a very separate part of the war for the Germans.

You were kind of both right about the state of the 'camps' in the early war. At this point they hadn't yet decided on full genocide as quickly as possible (i.e. sending people directly to be massacred in gas chambers), and the Jews were still a year off from being forced into ghettos, but there had been concentration camps pretty much as soon as the Nazis took power. They started out with mainly political prisoners, and gradually the number of 'undesirables' increased to count almost anyone not friendly with the Nazis or sufficiently German, and the camp conditions rapidly deteriorated to make them unlivable. By 1940, Jews had been victims of open violence, and the Nazis had also started T4 (killing the 'mentally defective'), experimenting on human subjects, and indiscriminate killing of civilians (Jews, mostly) in war zones. A lot of this probably would be known to people in Paris at the time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kangra posted:

A lot of this probably would be known to people in Paris at the time.

Well it's known to me and I get to decide whether nazis get killed or not, so :colbert:

Also I know I said I'd slow the releases a bit, but we have a hefty backlog and I get to have cider for the second time since February, so

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 3 - I'm Immune To Bullets

Just a heads up, we usually wait until episode three to really let loose since we assume anyone who can't handle it will have left, so from here on out you're getting the pure, uncut version of Dan and Grace. Fair warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
God, these videos are making me wish I still had this game. Maybe Steam’s got a pc version.

If you guys are ok with this, I think I’ll start a thread blog discussing game elements. Let me know if I should stop, also if I can improve anything or if there’s something you want to see.

Today’s topic- Contraband

Killing Nazis is fun, but it gets annoying real fast if you run low on ammunition in the process. Fortunately there is a network of black market dealers in the game who can sell you stuff. Today’s video showed off the man who connects you with these dealers (Santos) and some of the many ways to get credit with them. Basically hurting the Nazis pleases the dealer network and lets Sean build up a favor bank. He then cashes in said favors for weapons and so on. There are some Perks available from dealers- more ammo capacity and health, collection maps, etc- but most of your credit will probably go to keeping a high supply of explosives and guns with which to build more credit. Sadly vehicles aren’t for sale, you’ll need to steal those. Once you get a weapon once, it is always free to get again. More Bullets will always cost money, of course.

Killing average Nazis does not accrue contraband but you can get some for the following things-

Killing Nazi Generals- you can snipe them, run over them, shoot them, or even sneak attack them depending on their placement and your skill. Personally I like to sucker punch them at close range. Just beware the bodyguards.

Blowing up Nazi installations- this is why you carry explosives. Paris is full of Nazi artillery, watchtowers, propaganda speakers, radar dishes, parked tanks, fuel depots, searchlights, and other stuff they use to help their occupation. Blow it up- they won’t rebuild it and the streets get safer. The smaller Sniper Nest towers and the fuel depots can be destroyed by grenades, propaganda speakers are vulnerable to bullets, but heavier stuff like parked tanks will take explosives. Look for fuel barrels or generators on the towers (Dan shot one of those to blow up a tower in the video) to help you if you lack bombs. The speakers are particularly easy to destroy by accident, as we saw in the video. I should specifically mention the anti-aircraft and other artillery guns. Before you destroy those with explosives, get on them and go nuts. You can use them to destroy all other installations in range and also-

Destroy Zeppelins- this is always fun to do. You’ll want rockets for it later but using AA guns is the best way early on. 50 Contraband is awarded per destroyed blimp, and they can respawn infinitely. Funny enough, after the Hindenburg explosion, blimps weren’t used as much by armies. Except the Nazis.

Save civilians from Nazi harassment- hang around the enemy long enough, you’ll see this happen. Rescue the victims for small rewards.

Gather Collectibles- the game hides blue crates in many places. These are in fact Allied Supply Drops from the SOE (Special Operations Executive, or British Intelligence) you’ll want to grab. They contain alcohol, cigars, chocolate, and other stuff the Nazis made it hard to acquire in wartime. All that is worth contraband credit. There’s also postcards you can grab near significant Paris landmarks. And if you climb certain buildings you can find a telescope that gives you a brief panoramic view of the area along with some bonus points. La Villete Slaughterhouse has one of these. So do Norte Dame, the Eiffel Tower, and many other places we’ll see later.

Completing Missions. This always gets you a few extra points.

The latest video shows off all these gameplay elements except the landmarks and I’m sure we’ll see those eventually. Next video I presume we’ll also meet a dealer. :D