Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

This is the Hungarian team thread! If you are on the Romanian team, stop reading now! If you’re wondering what this is, see this thread.

August, 1944
Transylvania, Romania

Following the royalist coup of 23 August, chaotic fighting rages across Romania as the newest member of the Allies tries to drive out their erstwhile axis comrades. The German and Hungarian forces still in the country, for their part, hold out hope of retaking Bucharest and reversing the change of government.

Many of these early clashes were aimed at securing key passes through the mountainous landscape. This scenario imagines such a battle for an important crossroads. Romanian and Hungarian forces battle in a small mountain village, feeling far more comfortable as enemies than as German-coerced comrades! The Romanians will spawn in the south and the Hungarians will spawn in the north.

Hungarian Forces
Your force is quite simple. You have a single rifle company equipped with light mortars, with some attached antitank rifles. You are supported by offmap medium mortars with just a handful of munitions. Your armor support consists of a lone Csaba armored car.

Force Walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09dAn6S8BXw

Enemy Intel
The enemy is in roughly equal strength to you and consists mainly of infantry.

The Map!
The map is 1120m x 800m. It is raining, so vision and hearing will be reduced. The ground itself is still dry, though, so bogging should not be an issue.

Here’s the map walkthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg2dr1rqiqM

Objectives

There are three terrain objectives, marked by those big flags. In the old engine, terrain objectives are controlled simply by having units in the vicinity - there’s no specific boundary like in the new engine. Control at least two of the objectives at the end of the match! The time limit is 25 minutes.

Reinforcements
None for this match.

Discord: https://discord.gg/AUQQwGd
Ask for the Axis role.

Save File: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BoHM_yGRfjjypLUZoQl8MjLYSkc1rmSK
Password: pecs
This file is unofficial. The Romanians will do their setup first and pass it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The first round will be 6 minutes, or until significant contact. After that, rounds will be 2 minutes. I'll let you know when first orders are due once I've worked out a schedule with the inputters.

First, figure out who your team commander is and let me know before long.

Also, this match we're going to have a map labeling competition! Give me your best themed team maps and the spectators will vote for their favorite. Entries will be due the same time as our first orders. Entries will be by individual player. Nothing's on the line except the most important thing ever: eternal LP glory!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Having watched the video a few times, it seems like our strongest play is to rush the factory with the armored car and two of our infantry platoons. Once we take that, we will have the high ground and we can dominate the lower terrain near the objective with our 50mm mortars and then send in our platoons in a flanking attack to seize the other two objectives.

We can leave a platoon on the high ground north of the burning house objective. They can stop the Romanians from taking the village. We might even be able to sneak in a scout team to hold the objective.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Bacarruda posted:

Having watched the video a few times, it seems like our strongest play is to rush the factory with the armored car and two of our infantry platoons. Once we take that, we will have the high ground and we can dominate the lower terrain near the objective with our 50mm mortars and then send in our platoons in a flanking attack to seize the other two objectives.

We can leave a platoon on the high ground north of the burning house objective. They can stop the Romanians from taking the village. We might even be able to sneak in a scout team to hold the objective.

Interesting on Discord we have been talking about more of a refused flank battle plan aimed at the two objectives on west side of the map and forming a supported battle line to fend off any Romanians who may have gone for the east objective. We only need to hold two objectives and I feel rather than splitting our forces we use them all combined to force our way onto the two objectives and then hold off the enemy till they give up or the time limit ends.

While the high ground could be an advantage we have no idea how far we could actually see with the rain giving reduced visibility. If you can come into the discord to see what we have been planning.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 28, 2020

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

My immediate instinct is to just say the railyard objective looks like a trap, a building like that is a fortress in this engine and we don't have the HE to dislodge the Romanians from it if they get in there first. Also, it's far enough from the other two objectives that even if we win there it'll be a struggle to support attacks elsewhere.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

First orders are due Saturday, May 2nd, at 1PM EDT / 5PM GMT.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Okay comrades, our orders have to be in by Saturday but the sooner we work this out the better. To that end I have drawn up a more detailed battle plan for the attack on the western flank.

Battle plan

For the opening stage of the battle each rifle platoon will advance past our objective and take up positions in either the woods or the shrubbery at the incline leading down to the second western objective.

Deploy all units within the red box or as near to as possible where each platoon can move forward with their orders without crossing into other platoons.

1st Platoon lead by Sniper4625 is to advance along the yellow arrow and take up positions in the woodland shown.
2nd Platoon lead by Alikchi is to advance along the cyan arrow and take up positions in the shrubbery shown.
3rd Platoon lead by Bacarruda is to advance along the blue arrow and take up positions in the shrubbery shown.
4th Platoon lead by Panzer is to advance along the pink arrow and take up positions in the woodland shown.

Anti-tank rifle teams will have one going along the pink arrow with Panzer and the other going with either Sniper4625 along the yellow arrow or Bacarruda along the yellow arrow. I'll swap who has control of 1st platoon depending on who gets control of the other anti-tank rifle team.

The armoured car is to advance straight down the road along the black arrow, ideally you need to travel at the same speed as the infantry.

The command Hq, 50mm mortars and the off map artillery spotter will advance along the same route as 2nd Platoon, splitting off once they reach the first western objective and following the dark red arrow. Inputter if possible leave the 50mm mortars at the first objective and only move up the command HQ and off map artillery spotter along the dotted red line arrow until they reach a point where they have LOS on the second western objective. If need be move the mortars forward enough so that they stay within the command HQ 's radius to use them for LOS.

Arrows on the map are for general direction only, it will be up to each of you on where you send each squad from your platoons only use the arrows for direction.

For the speed of our advance we shall move deliberately up to and just past the nearest objective to us and will only rush to the jump off positions for the last part to avoid our forces getting worn out.

If we encounter enemy forces all units are to halt and engage spotted enemy forces with as much firepower as we can manage whilst we look at ways to counter and flank the enemy.

Please give your thoughts and opinions here or in the discord as the plan can always be changed as/when needed.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 29, 2020

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

koolkevz666 posted:

Okay comrades, our orders have to be in by Saturday but the sooner we work this out the better. To that end I have drawn up a more detailed battle plan for the attack on the western flank.

Battle plan

For the opening stage of the battle each rifle platoon will advance past our objective and take up positions in either the woods or the shrubbery at the incline leading down to the second western objective.

Deploy all units within the red box or as near to as possible where each platoon can move forward with their orders without crossing into other platoons.

1st Platoon lead by Sniper4625 is to advance along the yellow arrow and take up positions in the woodland shown.
2nd Platoon lead by Alikchi is to advance along the cyan arrow and take up positions in the shrubbery shown.
3rd Platoon lead by Bacarruda is to advance along the blue arrow and take up positions in the shrubbery shown.
4th Platoon lead by Panzer is to advance along the pink arrow and take up positions in the woodland shown.

Anti-tank rifle teams will have one going along the pink arrow with Panzer and the other going with either Sniper4625 along the yellow arrow or Bacarruda along the yellow arrow. I'll swap who has control of 1st platoon depending on who gets control of the other anti-tank rifle team.

The armoured car is to advance straight down the road along the black arrow, ideally you need to travel at the same speed as the infantry.

The command Hq, 50mm mortars and the off map artillery spotter will advance along the same route as 2nd Platoon, splitting off once they reach the first western objective and following the dark red arrow. Inputter if possible leave the 50mm mortars at the first objective and only move up the command HQ and off map artillery spotter along the dotted red line arrow until they reach a point where they have LOS on the second western objective. If need be move the mortars forward enough so that they stay within the command HQ 's radius to use them for LOS.

Arrows on the map are for general direction only, it will be up to each of you on where you send each squad from your platoons only use the arrows for direction.

Please give your thoughts and opinions here or in the discord as the plan can always be changed as/when needed.

1) Will we have any reserves? Once a platoon makes contact, it will be difficult for it to break contact and/or manuever. A 1-2 platoon reserve might be useful for fighting fires or exploiting opportunities?

2) What is our assault plan? Once we get to the midway point, how are we going to assault the southernmost VP?

3) What is our fire support plan? When and how are we planning on using the 50mm and 120mm mortars?

4) How are we conducting our approach march? How quickly are we planning on advancing? Are we rushing or moving deliberately?

5) Are there any contingency plans? What if we make contact with the enemy or get pinned down before we get to our jumping-off positions?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 29, 2020

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Alchenar made this demo of CM:BtoB for his team and generously shared it with us. I'm not familiar with this older version of the game so it's good to get some commentary about this ancient thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhCbvtxkRw

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Bacarruda posted:

1) Will we have any reserves? Once a platoon makes contact, it will be difficult for it to break contact and/or manuever. A 1-2 platoon reserve might be useful for fighting fires or exploiting opportunities?

2) What is our assault plan? Once we get to the midway point, how are we going to assault the southernmost VP?

3) What is our fire support plan? When and how are we planning on using the 50mm and 120mm mortars?

4) How are we conducting our approach march? How quickly are we planning on advancing? Are we rushing or moving deliberately?

5) Are there any contingency plans? What if we make contact with the enemy or get pinned down before we get to our jumping-off positions?

1) While I was considering keeping a platoon on the objective as a reserve I felt it would likely be better for when we assault that we have all the platoons in sight of the objective for maximum firepower, if we need a reserve I was going to task the Armoured Car as it due to its speed, firepower and armour.

2) Depending on the concentration of enemies we will either A) lay down suppressing fire with 3rd, 4th platoon and the armoured car while 1st and 2nd platoon flank from the west and storm the objective while the 50mm mortars bombard spotted enemy positions or B) if enemy forces are larger than expected we will engage the enemy with all platoons, armoured car and mortars and if needs be I will vector in a fire mission from the 81mm mortars. After we hit a point to our numerical advantage we go with option A.

3) 50mm mortars support the assault on the objective by engaging enemy spotted units and if required I will call down a fire mission from the 81mm on any dense concentration of enemy forces.

4) Apologies for missing this part. We shall move deliberately up to and just past the nearest objective to us and will only rush to the jump off positions for the last part to avoid our forces getting worn out. I will add this to the battle plan above.

5) If we get pinned down or encounter enemy forces before reaching the jump off positions we will halt our forces and engage the enemy where we encounter them looking for any means to flank and defeat the enemy as and when we can. Again I'll add this part to the plan above.

Please keep the comments and questions coming from everyone I appreciate them all as it helps me to go over anything I miss and helps us to work things out.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 29, 2020

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
4. Platoon, 1. Company

No pretty banner, I'm afraid.

Movement-wise, I want my entire platoon to March up to the woods, and get into position as noted, as best as you can with the older engine. If contact is made and we begin taking fire before reaching the position, either 2. Squad or 3. Squad is to stop moving and return fire, dependent on whomever has better LOS on who is engaging us, whilst the other squads and HQ section quick move to the forest.

Also note: HQ should be off-set from 1. Squad, so any fire that heads 1. Squad's way doesn't also nail HQ Section. If they can prone and still be useful, I'd like HQ to prone once they're in position.

As we've discovered the map is a bit small, 4. Platoon will instead remain in reserve behind the main force. I'll leave it to Glynn as to where they want to deploy my force, though somewhere in or near that close objective seems to be the main thought of the day.

4. Platoon AT Detachment is to move in support of Bac's platoon, and take up watch of that Southeastern flank.

Das Panzer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 2, 2020

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
1 Platoon

I'll leave it to your discretion how to move them down there, but I want 1/1 and 1/2 on the forest edge, AT rifle on the rise next to them (X), and 1/3 and Headquarters in reserve.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I make banner.

The Csaba will go Fast to point CS1 (in line with the low stone wall), then slow down and Move to Contact to point CS2.

2 Platoon will Move to Contact in line with the low stone wall as well, routing through the three buildings indicated, then Run (or Assault, if necessary) to marked positions. HQ follows slightly behind, taking a more direct route.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Alright, the first three turns have run, and we're back here for more orders for next Tuesday if we keep our schedule.

Turn 1: In which we make immediate contact and take light fire from a distance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiU91xhQQ7w

Turn 2: Our Csaba reverses out of sight of an enemy recon car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coxX0lvbh3I

Turn 3: The scout car creeps hull-down to fire on the enemy vehicle; Platoons 1 and 2 run forward out of enemy fire toward their commanded position!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvHqHLB78dM

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Tuesday, May 5th, at 1PM EDT / 5PM GMT / 6PM BST.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Company orders for this turn

1st Platoon: Continue your advance into the woods and get your squads into good positions where they can fire on the enemy at or around the objective. Get your AT rifle team into a position where it can hopefully spot that Armoured Car if it sticks its nose out again.

2nd Platoon: Continue your advance forward, depending on spotted contacts this turn I may push your platoon forward to assault and seize the objective.

Armoured Car: As discussed on discord pull back and go behind the woods occupied by 3rd platoon, if you can get spots east that would be great but don't make yourself vulnerable just for spots at this time.

3rd Platoon: Continue your orders and be ready to suppress the enemy contacts on the objective.

4th Platoon: Continue to hold position for this turn but be ready to move up and take 2nd Platoon's positions if/when I order them to assault. Have your AT rifle team continue to move up to cover that flank looking for a good spot where it may get LOS if the enemy Armoured Car goes to break out east.

Command HQ: Continue to move forwards until they have LOS on the objective south west so that they can have the 50mm mortars fire on any infantry spotted.

50mm Mortars: Stay within the maximum range required to use the Command HQ for spotting and prepare to fire on any spotted enemy infantry contacts.

Off map spotter: Continue to move up to get LOS on the objective.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

2 Platoon continues on previous path to previous destinations. Try to hug the woods without displacing or clustering too closely w/1 Platoon. We've had to run to make up for lost time to that suppression, so let's continue to the low wall, Pause for 20 seconds (choose the "Pause" order twice), then Run south into the woods & brush.

Csaba: Nice shooting! Reverse out of LOS of the enemy, then go Fast behind the woods occupied by 3 Platoon and hold.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

sniper4625 posted:

1 Platoon

I'll leave it to your discretion how to move them down there, but I want 1/1 and 1/2 on the forest edge, AT rifle on the rise next to them (X), and 1/3 and Headquarters in reserve.

1 Platoon

Continue as ordered. Get that AT gun into a position to cover the last known position of the Armored Car, as far as possible into the woods for cover.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

3rd and 4th Squad will halt when they get to the ridgeline and wait there next to 1st and 2nd Squads.

All other units continue as ordered.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
4. Platoon, 1. Company

As ordered, 4. Platoon is to hold position for one more turn. AT team is to continue it's movement parallel 3. platoon. If feasible, halt and engage that enemy scout car, but don't make it a priority to do so unless it begins harassing 3. Platoon.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

tldr: Nothing happened except we move up and fatigue changes. Second video has a click-through for unit status and location. On to orders!

Turn 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvza4AkChnY

Turn 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JJrNP9vHe0

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
1 Platoon Orders

Continue moving elements into position.

AT Gun is to pause to regain stamina as soon as it enters cover, then proceed to final destination when at least Tiring.
Speed up that laggard squad, have the others move as fast as possible to maintain readiness.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Company orders

All platoons continue moving to their assigned locations and rest up, we will see how tired everyone is at the end of the next two turns. 4th platoon your new orders are to deploy as a flank protection facing towards the rail yard just in case the enemy do decide to send something that way. Armoured Car continue with current orders as well, same for AT rifle teams.

50mm mortars continuing moving as per orders same with command HQ, make sure the command HQ gets LOS on the area with the south western objective. FO for the 81mm continue into the top floor of that building should give good LOS.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Friday, May 8th, at 3:30PM EDT / 6:30PM GMT / 7:30PM BST.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

2 Platoon continues to ordered positions in & around the green circle, use your discretion to avoid too much fatigue.

The Csaba will start gently exploring east - Move to Contact to the red X.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

1st and 2nd Squad, along with Platoon HQ will MOVE onto the same low hill as 3rd Squad.

If possible, put the men just behind the crest of the hill, in a reverse slope position.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 13, 2020

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Turn 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdL1RqWMh2s

Turn 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wgpMDSRWVI

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

koolkevz, we've just caught a platoon+ of Romanian infantry in a very exposed position near the church. My platoon is also doing a great Dan Sickles impression--we're causing a lot of trouble for the enemy, but we're rather exposed.

If 4th Platoon can hook across the highway on our left flank and get into the red and yellow trees, they can flank the Romanians on the stone wall. If 1st and 2nd and the 50mm mortars can get up that hill to their front, they can hit the Romanians from the other flank.

I think we have a chance to wipe out at least one Romanian platoon in the next few turns.

Get everyone into firing positions where they can hit the Romanians around the church. Get on the reverse slope of the hill we're on, if possible.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Company orders:

Battle Plan: Hazi kolbasz

1. Move the Command HQ up somewhere at the top of the hill where he can see to the East, i'm moving the Armoured Car so will need someone with eye to the East.

2. Move the 50mm mortars quickly up to a position where they can directly see the enemy forces at the Church and have them begin firing on their position as soon as possible.

3. 1st Platoon Move all your squads forward up the hill they are on till they can all begin firing on the enemy positions at the Church.

4. 3rd Platoon Your orders are good lay on that gun fire.

5. 4th Platoon I need you guys to run across that highway and get into those red and yellow trees as quickly as possible and start firing into the enemy positions. I will have the Armoured Car cover your crossing.

6. Armoured Car I need you to move to the corner of those trees where you can see up and across the highway to cover 4th Platoons advance across. I need the Armoured Car to be there before 4th start crossing so move quickly as much as you can before choosing when to advance to contact for the last part.

7. 2nd Platoon Like 1st Platoon move your squads forward until they are all in a position to open fire on the enemy positions.

Forward Observer get him into that house where he can get eyes on the Church Objective.

Bonus ration of kolbasz to anyone who spots which platoon I almost forgot to give orders to.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Monday, May 11th, at 3:30PM EDT / 6:30PM GMT / 7:30PM BST.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
1Pl orders

Continue into the fray!

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
4. Platoon, 1st. Company

Following high command's orders, cross the road at a decent pace and position yourselves spread out into that treeline. AT Rifle team is to fall in with the platoon as well, setting up to watch vaguely in the direction the enemy armored car ran off in. Let the armored car focus on engaging enemies, just get into cover as quickly as is feasible.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

2 Platoon: Continue as ordered - Move to Contact south into the brush and woods until all squads have opened fire.

Csaba: Punch it! Go Fast to the point indicated in the Company commander's orders. Make sure we have LOS to the enemy and are in a position to draw fire and protect 4 Platoon.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Turn 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAL05B70Kxs

Turn 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c12pg3SN_0

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders are due Tuesday, May 19th, at 2PM EDT / 5PM GMT / 6PM BST.

Fray fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 17, 2020

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Keep getting everyone into firing positions where they can hit the Romanians around the church.

Pour it into 'em, boys! Give 'em hell! Send those bastards running back to Bucharest with their tails between their legs!

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Company orders

All platoons continue to follow the above plan. Armoured Car if you can then please try and engage the enemy infantry from your current position. I really need those 50mm mortars dropping on to the enemy at the objective so please do everything you can to get them to a point where they can start engaging the enemy.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
1st Platoon

Bound across the road by squad.

1. First squad crosses, Third Squad moves up to cover
2. Second squad + HQ cross
3. Third squad crosses

Permission granted to adjust as deemed fit should the AC make an appearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
4. Platoon, 1st Company

Keep moving, men! Finish bounding across the road to your ordered positions, and keep a good watch for any enemies or armored cars. We can bleed the enemy once we have a proper line set up.