Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best host
Joel
Mike
Jonah
View Results

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Everyone loves MST3K, and I'm here to reignite a long-dormant Internet Argument, updated for a new century:

Who is the best host??

JOEL

Funny stoner. Fairly Light-Hearted. Robots' Dad.

MIKE

Annoyed temp. Robots' dumb older brother.

JONAH

I think he's an inventor/space trucker? Robots' friend.

I'd say Mike. He was my intro to the show; I just think he's funnier than Joel and Jonah.

Also, feel free to discuss favorite episodes; favorite quotes; etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3oD4UNKw8A

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It goes Mike Jonah then Joel for me, I ended up really like Jonahs two seasons and am bummed there wont be more.

Mike being exactly on the bots level is why it worked for me. The canned wassail bit isnt him pulling back and disengaging from the bit like the other two hosts would, its fully going for it and taking the whole thing at face value and finding some wassail to get out of it.

Jonah gets second for being a more active Joel and the sketch "Fashion of Hollow Mountain" being incredible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For me it's Jonah then Joel then Mike, but I like all three.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I never understood the way nerds all got into huge rows about this. I liked the movie variety during the Joel era more than say SciFi's run, but all of the writers brought neat things to the table. Before the netflix seasons, I usually leaned towards late Joel era, since it had all of the writers on board but I was hesitant about the new seasons, but they were made with a lot of love and reminded me of the magic of watching this show as a kid.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

who the gently caress is jonah?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

egon_beeblebrox posted:

JONAH

I think he's an inventor/space trucker? Robots' friend.

He's the host of the Netflix seasons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really like Jonah, I wish he had two more seasons at least.

I also dont get why the live shows werent recorded and released, but I chalk that up to Joel being Joel

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

the correct answer is always tom servo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the best character is cambot

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You guys are all clowning around if you don't think it's Joel.

E: Crow is the most iconic robot of all time

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wish I had watched MST3k as a kid and built up the attachment to and affection for it that Gen Xers have as a result of years of reruns and tape trading, because by the time I was in a position to watch it YouTube existed and it was way easier and more fun to just watch 5-10 minute clip compilations of the good parts of bad movies on their own than sit through an hour of sketches and riffing to get that same material.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

*walks into thread and puts my leg up on something* hey guys

Sleeveless posted:

I wish I had watched MST3k as a kid and built up the attachment to and affection for it that Gen Xers have as a result of years of reruns and tape trading, because by the time I was in a position to watch it YouTube existed and it was way easier and more fun to just watch 5-10 minute clip compilations of the good parts of bad movies on their own than sit through an hour of sketches and riffing to get that same material.

That's fair, MST3K is a product of its time for sure. If I were a millenial and some geezer tried to get me into the show I'd probably think it was boring as gently caress. You kinda had to be there I guess. You could even argue that public access TV shows like MST3K started out as were the precursor of youtube shows. Like Red Letter Media scratches the same kind of itch for me that MST did. Guys talking about movies with bad jokes and irony and stuff.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

The Pussy Boss posted:

*walks into thread and puts my leg up on something* hey guys

That's fair, MST3K is a product of its time for sure

This gets more and more true. It's fun to go back and date all the references, especially to now-dead politicians and now-dead celebrities. "Benazir Bhutto is holding him up!"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mike did a really good job I'd vote for him to be sent off into space and to be tortured by robots 2020.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sleeveless posted:

The shorts were always better than the feature length ones just because if the movie was too lovely to laugh about (and there were a good few of those) it was over in like twenty minutes

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mike, Joel, blank empty space, Jonah

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I could never get into Rifftrax because I felt like they were having to force more of their jokes on account of the movies usually being better than the usual MST3K fare, but also because I missed the breaks and inventions. Like, I don't want just disembodied voices heckling the movie, I want to hang out with my robot buddies (and that other doofus, i guess).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mostly watch mst to fall asleep and tbh I've never loved the host segments, and I found this youtube channel where a dude finds the best available prints of mst3k movies and then overdubs the riff track. Some of the scans are really high quality, some aren’t but I'd check him out if that sounds appealing at all

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl5WCUORYcBuUnIZ7C3pTpA

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/1255519374112444425

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How did they get zoom and modern webcams aboard the SoL, this violates all known science facts

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

zoux posted:

How did they get zoom and modern webcams aboard the SoL, this violates all known science facts

You should really just relax

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Its really hard to pick between the original hosts but Joel treats the bots like they're family and I just think its real cute :shobon:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Joel, Emily, Jonah, backstabber.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jonah's stuff wasn't allowed to "breathe" as much, it felt too rapid-fire, but the heart and mind was in the right place and I'm so grateful we got some modern MST3k. Sucks that it didn't go further, but that's Netflix I guess.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Remulak posted:

As a filthy casual viewer, what'd Mike do?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I want to talk about a little about the best and worst episodes of MST3K. I think there's movies that MST3K vastly improves (Space Mutiny, PUMAMAN, Jack Frost) and movies that, no matter how hard anyone tries, can't be improved with commentary (Mighty Jack, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies).

Basically a lot of the 60's material is insufferable garbage, and the best stuff has something else going for it, like Donald Pleasance doing literally anything.

Also I'm on team "I hate all the skits, please stop and get back to the movie"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Also I'm on team "I hate all the skits, please stop and get back to the movie"
It really pains me to say it, but :same:.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I like the skits more than the movie half the time

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I feel like Mike and Joel, in that order, are two stages in an upper midwestern man's bildungsroman, ending with becoming a zenlike Joe Cera type, talking the ears off of his friends about the evolution of maritime law as it pertains to the St. Lawrence Seaway at the fish fry.

Jonah is just a nice kid. What I'm saying is that the final season should have had Joe Cera in it, making comments like, "You know, while the design is somewhat ungainly on that blood beast suit, you can tell the craftsman responsible put a lot of love into its construction, and it feels downright petulant to catalogue fault in a pure expression of affection from a man for his vocation."

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I can't really say that I like any one of them over the other. They had their own styles with strengths and weaknesses.

Mike was more constantly funny, the sci-fi era had better movies, but they also had a tendency to push a lot of really unfunny jokes and that got obnoxious, something that rifftrax still does. Supercalifragilisticexpiali-wacky! was the worst skit in the history of the series.

Joel wasn't always funny but when he was it great and had some pretty good smartass quips, he seemed more sincere and less try hard, and his family like bond to the bots was cute. He could be a little too cautious when it came to language and content for my taste and his references were dated even for the time (I think?). Some of the movies where just bad and not funny at all.

Jonah seems like a good balance between Mike and Joel. He's good hearted like Joel and constant like Mike. The movies are mostly good but the quips feel a little too fast at times, maybe that's not a bad thing idk.

Tom and Crow are the best.

mysterious frankie posted:

I feel like Mike and Joel, in that order, are two stages in an upper midwestern man's bildungsroman, ending with becoming a zenlike Joe Cera type, talking the ears off of his friends about the evolution of maritime law as it pertains to the St. Lawrence Seaway at the fish fry.

Jonah is just a nice kid. What I'm saying is that the final season should have had Joe Cera in it, making comments like, "You know, while the design is somewhat ungainly on that blood beast suit, you can tell the craftsman responsible put a lot of love into its construction, and it feels downright petulant to catalogue fault in a pure expression of affection from a man for his vocation."

Do you mean Joe Pera?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Linux Pirate posted:

Do you mean Joe Pera?

Crap, I did.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Linux Pirate posted:

Supercalifragilisticexpiali-wacky! was the worst skit in the history of the series.

Alternate title for that skit, "This is what Mike Nelson actually believes".

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Jonah Ray. He's more known for podcasting I believe. I think he was one of the hosts of the Nerdist.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Linux Pirate posted:

Do you mean Joe Pera?

When was Joe Pera involved with MST3K? Joe Pera Talks With You on Adult Swim is a really great show. Super charming and funny in a unique way.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
I used to watch this as a kid, on the Comedy Channel before they renamed it. Somewhere at home I have a few Thanksgiving 24 hour marathons on vhs lol. Also Joel is by definition the best host.

Kudos to anyone who to this day, when someone starts a sentence with 'in the not too distant future' , responds with 'Next Sunday, AD.'

In conclusion keep circulating the tapes

Slippery fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 2, 2020

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

When was Joe Pera involved with MST3K? Joe Pera Talks With You on Adult Swim is a really great show. Super charming and funny in a unique way.

he wasnt

mysterious frankie posted:

Jonah is just a nice kid. What I'm saying is that the final season should have had Joe Pera in it, making comments like, "You know, while the design is somewhat ungainly on that blood beast suit, you can tell the craftsman responsible put a lot of love into its construction, and it feels downright petulant to catalogue fault in a pure expression of affection from a man for his vocation."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Remulak posted:

Who's Emily? What did I miss!?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Who's Emily? What did I miss!?

Shes the live show host, which I only know because it was mentioned in the streaming thing they did.

I really do not understand why those werent recorded and made for sale

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I find Jonah to be wildly unfunny, in every thing he does. I don't think he was a good host, but again just my crappy opinion. Mike rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flaggy posted:

I find Jonah to be wildly unfunny, in every thing he does. I don't think he was a good host, but again just my crappy opinion. Mike rules.
I mean I can respect not digging him but honestly a 2017 revival of MST3K really couldn't have gone much better than it did and Jonah helped anchor that.