Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

now that souplantation is out of business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Fudruckers

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Red Lobster

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

other contenders: Pieology

restaurants themed on holes: Bucca di Beppo, Pita Pit

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

"Ruth's Chris Steak House"

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Golden Corral. I feel like you should name your restaurant something that doesn't sound too much like "gilded cage"

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It's a gas station not a restaurant but we need to acknowledge The Kum 'n' Go.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's a gas station not a restaurant but we need to acknowledge The Kum 'n' Go.

...Yeah. I think Kum 'n' Go sprang into existence when some company bought up a bunch of 7-11 franchises? Some 25 year-old PR rep probably floated the name as a joke and none of the old dudes in the boardroom caught it. Kum? Really?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The Glory Hole, sells donut holes in a shed by a gas station bathroom.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dig

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

dudeness posted:

Golden Corral. I feel like you should name your restaurant something that doesn't sound too much like "gilded cage"
Home of the Communal Chocolate Fountain

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Olive Garden, since it sounds like what white people think an Italian place is called and I hate it.

resistentialism posted:

This is probably a far more embarrassing option than Olive Garden, so Ruth's Chris wins.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 10, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

resistentialism posted:

other contenders: Pieology

restaurants themed on holes: Bucca di Beppo, Pita Pit

I thought Pieology went out of business too but apparently they just left Tucson which is good because a good ramen/curry spot took their place.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Burgerim

Hungry Jack's

Hardee's and Carl's Jr are both stupid names so congrats on the twofer.

Menchie's

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Shipley Do-Nuts

or

Wienerschnitzel, since you can't even get a schnitzel there wtf. Come to think of it America could really use a schnitzel chain, it's literally just patties of fried meat, we'd eat that poo poo up.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hard to beat Fudrucker's

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Burgerim was a pyramid scheme and the owner ghosted on everyone before many of their stores even opened.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Raising canes

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Piesanos Pizza

Kindergarten Camp
Nov 27, 2015

Juicy Lucy's

Kindergarten Camp fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 12, 2020

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

This is probably a far more embarrassing option than Olive Garden, so Ruth's Chris wins.
The owner hated it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth's_Chris_Steak_House

Originally called and purchased as Chris Steak House from Chris Matulich...

quote:

In early 1976, shortly after (Ruth) Fertel signed a new ten-year lease on the restaurant, a fire destroyed the building. Fertel had recently acquired a second property nearby to rent out as a party space. Within seven days, she had relocated the restaurant to its new location a few blocks away at 711 North Broad Street and re-opened it, expanding to 160 seats in the process. The sales agreement with Matulich prevented her from using the original name at any other address, so she named the new restaurant Ruth's Chris Steak House in order to keep some continuity with the previous location. She admitted later to Fortune Magazine that "I've always hated the name, but we've always managed to work around it."

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
It's a delightfully bad name and i likr it

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah it's very dumb, but it's dumb for understandable reasons instead of some dipshit coming up with a dumb name out of the blue and going "yeah, this is what I want attached to my business."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

resistentialism posted:

Anytime Ruth's Chris comes up I think of the super-fake goon story about him befriending a Saudi Billionaire who asks him for the best steakhouse in Texas which is of course Ruth's Chris.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Beef O'Brady's

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

Beef O'Brady's

never heard of it but that's real dumb

quote:

In 2009, the company became the title sponsor of the St. Petersburg Bowl, an annual college football bowl game held at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida.[13] That year's game was officially named the "St. Petersburg Bowl presented by Beef 'O' Brady's".[14] The game was then renamed as the "Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl" for four years (2010–2013).[15]

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 18, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a chain called Carlos O'Kelly's, which always seemed a weird combination of names. Not sure if it is still around though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

muscles like this! posted:

There's a chain called Carlos O'Kelly's, which always seemed a weird combination of names. Not sure if it is still around though.

yep there’s one right near me

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yum! Brands is a holding company of fast food places, but its still a dumb name

Cheesus posted:

The owner hated it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth's_Chris_Steak_House

Originally called and purchased as Chris Steak House from Chris Matulich...

You left out the best part

quote:

Chris Steak House was founded on February 27, 1927 by New Orleans entrepreneur Chris Matulich.[5] It was located at 1100 North Broad Street near the Fair Grounds Race Course, seated 60 people, and had no parking lot. During Matulich's 38-year management, the business was sold six times, failing each time, and enabling him to buy the restaurant back cheaply from the purchasers.[6][7]

Ruth Fertel was a divorced single mother who needed money to send her teenage sons to college. Ignoring the advice of her banker, lawyer, and friends, Ruth purchased the restaurant in 1965.

Cursed business that somehow worked the 7th loving time

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 18, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Whooping Crabs posted:

Beef O'Brady's

Carlos O'Kelly's

Taco John's is also a name that makes me go "huh"

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 19, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just looked up Noodles & Company out of curiosity and found out their old advertisement slogan was "We're Going To Get You"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TheAardvark posted:

Just looked up Noodles & Company out of curiosity and found out their old advertisement slogan was "We're Going To Get You"

Rally's/Checker's is "You gotta eat!".

I can't think of any other company which advertizes itself as a food of last resort.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
I think WesterN SizzliN might be regional to the southeast but it's profoundly stupid.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

tetsuo posted:

I think WesterN SizzliN might be regional to the southeast but it's profoundly stupid.

I've seen the signs for it but never been in one. Golly this looks appetizing:

particularly the bin of.. Onion Rings, Egg Rolls, and Chicken Nuggets? near the front

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TheAardvark posted:

I've seen the signs for it but never been in one. Golly this looks appetizing:

particularly the bin of.. Onion Rings, Egg Rolls, and Chicken Nuggets? near the front

They know that anyone that is going to eat one of those things will likely eat the others. Might as well just put them all together

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I see fries in that bin too. Thats a hell of a meal. Its probably stationed at the corner strategically, to bog you down with low dollar greasy protein and breading while you take scoop after scoop of it while waiting in line to get in front of the more expensive steamer trays.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

resistentialism posted:

this poo poo pisses me off every time i see it. i'm mad now

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Flunky posted:

this poo poo pisses me off every time i see it. i'm mad now

It used to bug me too, now that somebody explained it I'm not annoyed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Whooping Crabs posted:

Beef O'Brady's

It's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO