Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020
Hello. I'm trying to find my way around and am wondering if there's any type of notification or anything to show someone has replied to a comment of mine?

I know there's a way to bookmark posts that you've commented on, but clicking the link doesn't jump to your comment or the replies by the look of it.

Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

no, you just have to :f5: like everyone else

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020

bell jar posted:

no, you just have to :f5: like everyone else

I figured as much. Oh well, thanks.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well look at Mr Fancy pants over here wanting basic features and functionality in the forums he's paid to post in. La-de-da. What else would you like? A sexy robot maid to serve you caviar while you wait for those replies, Your Highness?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No.

Cheers.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
no

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd hate it if I got notifications every time I received a reply.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

super sweet best pal posted:

I'd hate it if I got notifications every time I received a reply.

Cheers.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'd never get a single notification :downsa:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Roger Henson IV posted:

Hello. I'm trying to find my way around and am wondering if there's any type of notification or anything to show someone has replied to a comment of mine?

I know there's a way to bookmark posts that you've commented on, but clicking the link doesn't jump to your comment or the replies by the look of it.

Cheers.

Remember being a young goon and WANTING other goons to engage? Lol

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Roger Henson IV posted:

Cheers.

Clicking the link takes you to the last unread post in that thread - which, logically, precedes any reply to your comment that you haven't already read.

You can then fast scroll down and if anyone has quoted you: you can see your original post in a different colour. However, that is useless if they just reply without quoting you.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Yeah its a pretty great system, you just need to post, and then keep track of the thread forever on the off chance someone is responding to something you said and expecting a reply inturn.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Chewbecca posted:

I'd never get a single notification :downsa:

You're on NOTICE NOW CHIEF

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You're on NOTICE NOW CHIEF

I MADE IT :boom:

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Well look at Mr Fancy pants over here wanting basic features and functionality in the forums he's paid to post in. La-de-da. What else would you like? A sexy robot maid to serve you caviar while you wait for those replies, Your Highness?

lmao. Fancy pants is my middle name. Roger fancy pants Henson IV. However, you'll now address me as SIR Roger fancy pants Henson IV.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I want to be able to like, comment, subscribe, donate and fellate all the posts I enjoy

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020

Moo the cow posted:

Clicking the link takes you to the last unread post in that thread - which, logically, precedes any reply to your comment that you haven't already read.

You can then fast scroll down and if anyone has quoted you: you can see your original post in a different colour. However, that is useless if they just reply without quoting you.

Ok this makes sense. I'm too used to modern lovely rear end sites like r e d d i t n shiiiet showing me notifications and holding my little hand.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Roger Henson IV posted:

Ok this makes sense. I'm too used to modern lovely rear end sites like r e d d i t n shiiiet showing me notifications and holding my little hand.

Cheers OP.

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020

No, thank YOU. Any other advice for me regarding this site?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Roger Henson IV posted:

Just post.

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020

Noted.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Roger Henson IV posted:

'Don't hit women' seems to be one of the newer rules. Proving to be a little controversial, but I'd advise against it.

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020

Chris Pistols posted:

'Don't hit women' seems to be one of the newer rules. Proving to be a little controversial, but I'd advise against it.

Yeah I don't do that anyway. Unless they really piss me off, then I grab a mace and pulverize them into dust.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

But be extremely careful when you do.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Roger Henson IV posted:

Lurk more.

Or, to not be an rear end: don't just hammer that 'Post' button like you were on Fark; read a few pages and get the vibe of the place first.
Each subforum has a very different feel and you'll get more out of this place if you understand the 'culture' of each of them.

There's also less chance of breaking an unwritten rule and getting banned for using words such as ***** or ****** or ****** or even ********. Or posting a picture such as ***-*******

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020

Moo the cow posted:

Lurk more.

Or, to not be an rear end: don't just hammer that 'Post' button like you were on Fark; read a few pages and get the vibe of the place first.
Each subforum has a very different feel and you'll get more out of this place if you understand the 'culture' of each of them.

There's also less chance of breaking an unwritten rule and getting banned for using words such as ***** or ****** or ****** or even ********. Or posting a picture such as ***-*******

Yeah I'm trying to look through as many of the different subforums as I can and get an idea about them. But there's quite a few. What are considered the "good" ones?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

absolutely do not do this

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
This ain't Reddit, chummer.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can pm you whenever there are new posts I guess

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Roger Henson IV posted:

Yeah I'm trying to look through as many of the different subforums as I can and get an idea about them. But there's quite a few. What are considered the "good" ones?

They are all 'good', but in their own different way.

If you have a specific hobby, take a look at that sub (e.g. AI for cars, The Dorkroom for photography, SH/SC for computery stuff, SAS for sports, etc)

PYF is a good, friendly place.
BYOB has it's own chill vibe.

GBS is where we post about making GBS threads our pants and fight a lot.

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020

Moo the cow posted:

They are all 'good', but in their own different way.

If you have a specific hobby, take a look at that sub (e.g. AI for cars, The Dorkroom for photography, SH/SC for computery stuff, SAS for sports, etc)

PYF is a good, friendly place.
BYOB has it's own chill vibe.

GBS is where we post about making GBS threads our pants and fight a lot.

Well thanks a lot for your help Mr Moo. I appreciate it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
btw it's polite to send a private message to thank anyone who quotes you

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Cheers

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

baw posted:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

baw posted:

It’s a real hassle, which is why I try not to make any posts that people would find funny enough to quote

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

christmas boots posted:

It’s a real hassle, which is why I try not to make any posts that people would find funny enough to quote

oh you, you know I always quote you and you love it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pixaal posted:

christmas boots posted:

oh you, you know I always quote you and you love it

now how do we deal with this etiquette conundrum

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
No, and thank God for it, OP.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Always pm the person you intend to quote and politely ask for permission to use their words before you quote them. Give them a respectful amount of time to respond, in case they would prefer not to be quoted. I usually wait 72 hours. If they haven't responded either way by then, I assume it's fair game to quote!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
You can go outside and run your mouth under the hose op. How does that grab you?