Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my dad saw this Batmobile at walgreens and bought it for me for some reason. I think i was like 12 when i last had a batmobile, but here we are.

man that's heavy-duty. Let's look at the armament.

at the front are two launchers with three missiles each. That's a lot of explosions!

On either side of the hood are two belt-fed, triple-barreled heavy machine guns. They resemble the real-world GAU-19. GAU-19s are monsters - electrically-driven, they can fire 1000 to 2000 (depending on variant) .50 BMG (12.67x99mm NATO) rounds per minute. Let's break that down a little further. .50 BMG rounds (made up of the bullet, the propellant, and the case) are each 5.45 inches long, and the bullet itself is a bit over half of an inch wide. When the bullet leaves the GAU-19's barrel, it is traveling at 2,910 feet per second with somewhere around 18,000 Joules of kinetic energy. This is a lot of energy - .50 BMG hits can pulverize bone and liquefy organs. Each GAU-19 fires slightly more than 16 of those beefy boys per second - the Batmobile has two.

Finally, there's the cannon. I wasn't able to find an easy real-world analogue for it. But if we assume that everything on the Batmobile is to scale (which isn't necessarily warranted, but bear with me), we can reach a few conclusions. The barrels of the GAU-19s on the model are 5/8th of an inch (15.88mm) long. In real life, GAU-19 barrels are 3 feet (914 mm) long. We can use this ratio to calculate the size of other parts. The barrel of the cannon on the model is 1.14 inches (28.96mm) long, counting the (very large) flash suppressor. However, the barrel may run the entire length of the mounting - if we assume so, the barrel length is 45.21mm. The barrel opening is 1/16th of an inch (1.59mm) wide. Applying our scale ratio, this gives us a barrel diameter of a bit over 90 real-world millimeters and a barrel length of 5.47 or 8.5 feet. We can chalk up the overages to my imprecise measuring, so we can say that the Batmobile has a short-barreled 90mm cannon. Let's put this in perspective. Tank design evolved rapidly during ww2. At the beginning of the conflict, most tanks carried a primary armament of a 20mm or maybe 40mm cannon. As the war progressed, tanks moved to the 75-76mm and 85-88mm range. A few, like the terrifying Soviet IS-2 with its 122mm gun, exceeded this range. The heaviest U.S. tank, the M26 Pershing, carried a 90mm cannon. To be fair, those guns had much longer barrels, and would consequently be much much better at killing tanks at range with armor-piercing projectiles than our Batmobile would be. there is also much more to a gun's lethality than just shell diameter. But the Batmobile can probably fire the same weigh of high explosive against unarmored and lightly armored targets as the M26 could.

This all is, of course, a wildly inappropriate amount of firepower. Batman fights criminals in populated areas. His whole thing is that he tries to avoid killing people. kinda feels like comic books and popular media have been feeding the narrative that good guys need bigger and bigger guns.

anywho, that's my post thanks. please feel free to chime in if i got something wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Batman more like badman amirite people?

naem
May 29, 2011

my dads dead

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I think that's the BvS/Justice League Batmobile.

That Batman just kills people, OP. He murders them constantly. He doesn't even pause to say "Heh, uhhh, yeah, rubber bullets" or ".... I definitely just knocked him out". Not killing people is for children.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Batman never kills because if he kills he's just as bad as the villains he faces, I say as I fire up Arkham Asylum and drop six thugs with brutal punches to the back of the head

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Batman never kills because if he kills he's just as bad as the villains he faces, I say as I fire up Arkham Asylum and drop six thugs with brutal punches to the back of the head

If you turn on Bat-vision and examine the body of the man you just dropped five stories down onto his head, the Bat-vision tells you he's still got a pulse and his lifesigns are steady.

That man is fine. He's taking a nap. He'll wake up well rested and happier than he's been in weeks, because his demanding criminal workload has really been cutting in to his sleep schedule.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I think that's the BvS/Justice League Batmobile.

That Batman just kills people, OP. He murders them constantly. He doesn't even pause to say "Heh, uhhh, yeah, rubber bullets" or ".... I definitely just knocked him out". Not killing people is for children.

hosed up

"the joker could have killed someone!" i say as i miss with my 90mm cannon shot, sending ~40 pounds of high explosive into a crowded Starbucks

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

naem posted:

my dads dead

Sadly, not an :emptyquote:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
batman is lovely propaganda imo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

naem posted:

my dads dead

Let me give you a coupon for one set of bat family

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

All superhero garbage is fascist propaganda

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

hosed up

"the joker could have killed someone!" i say as i miss with my 90mm cannon shot, sending ~40 pounds of high explosive into a crowded Starbucks

Computer, deploy Bat-bots.

*Bat-bots flood the comment pages for every video and article on the Starbucks explosion to talk about how Starbucks and its customers were the real villains all along*

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

naem posted:

my dads dead

:same:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Let me give you a coupon for one set of bat family

Wait a minute. This coupon is expired! :mad:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Batman doesn’t kill people

*drives a vehicle armed like an attack helicopter*

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The Management posted:

Batman doesn’t kill people

*drives a vehicle armed like an attack helicopter*

Those are, uh, rubber explosions.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I'm Batman. I don't kill people and I don't carry guns. That's why I have all these boomerangs and other gimmicks. Guns are for murderers, like the one who murdered my parents.

I see you eyeing my batmobile, but *Batman deploys the Bat Legal Contract and points out that on line 34 of Section D of the Bat Legal Code, guns are defined exclusively as small, personal arms, only and solely of the sort available to a private citizen* You will note that no one has ever been mugged with a GAU-19 and furthermore...

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

my dad saw this Batmobile at walgreens and bought it for me for some reason. I think i was like 12 when i last had a batmobile, but here we are.

man that's heavy-duty. Let's look at the armament.

That model would make a good proxy for a Tau Hammerhead.

https://images.app.goo.gl/WsN2YEpZmK5PX3Rz8

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol go play with your dolls idiot. :jerkbag:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Finally, there's the cannon. I wasn't able to find an easy real-world analogue for it. But if we assume that everything on the Batmobile is to scale (which isn't necessarily warranted, but bear with me), we can reach a few conclusions.

I'm not sold on the 90cm tank gun, the idea that the barrel extends the entire length can't be true, and the back end is both small and has distinctive parts that look like manual loading systems.

That plus the oversize muzzle brake (though the shape on that is wrong), my guess would be the 7.5cm Pak 40. Not a tank gun, but an anti-tank gun. Same ballpark as your idea, but more compact & shorter range. Just the thing for when Mr Freeze shows up in his Ice Tank. Or to blow open a reinforced wall, throwing terrible spalling shrapnel at thug and hostage alike, when some no-good criminals try to hold up Gotham Central Bank.

Batman doesn't kill people. High-velocity chunks of brick and rebar kill people.

From this we can draw two conclusions:
• Manual reloading is required, further demonstrating Batman's record for child endangerment as obviously it's Robin that has to hang on to the roof of the Batmobile and load a new round while Batman drives.
• Batman is a Nazi.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

You forgot to mention the 2 missile launchers on the front of the batmobile. I mean I'm sure they only shoot nerf missiles...

Also that's a muzzle break on the top cannon, not a suppressor :colbert:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Imagine if he even spent even of a fraction of the cost of that military-fetish gear on social programs to help with homelessness and mental health issues, then no one would have to be desperate enough to steal wallets in order to feed their family or afford a bed to sleep in at night

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

MakaVillian posted:

You forgot to mention the 2 missile launchers on the front of the batmobile. I mean I'm sure they only shoot nerf missiles...

at the front are two launchers with three missiles each. That's a lot of explosions!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Klyith posted:

I'm not sold on the 90cm tank gun, the idea that the barrel extends the entire length can't be true, and the back end is both small and has distinctive parts that look like manual loading systems.

That plus the oversize muzzle brake (though the shape on that is wrong), my guess would be the 7.5cm Pak 40. Not a tank gun, but an anti-tank gun. Same ballpark as your idea, but more compact & shorter range. Just the thing for when Mr Freeze shows up in his Ice Tank. Or to blow open a reinforced wall, throwing terrible spalling shrapnel at thug and hostage alike, when some no-good criminals try to hold up Gotham Central Bank.

Batman doesn't kill people. High-velocity chunks of brick and rebar kill people.

From this we can draw two conclusions:
• Manual reloading is required, further demonstrating Batman's record for child endangerment as obviously it's Robin that has to hang on to the roof of the Batmobile and load a new round while Batman drives.
• Batman is a Nazi.

very possibly 75mm - kicked that idea around a bit. Would fit the overall size of the model, especially of it isn't quite to scale

MakaVillian posted:

Also that's a muzzle break on the top cannon, not a suppressor :colbert:

you are correct about the muzzle break - my bad. I didn't analyze the missiles beyond noting them because I honestly know even less about that than regular guns and cannons. depending on what's on them they could do a lot of booming

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Lol go play with your dolls idiot. :jerkbag:

They're not DOLLS! They're ACTION FIGURES dad! :reddit:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
doing size comparisons based on guns is problematic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdGueKkjQlk

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thundercracker posted:

They're not DOLLS! They're ACTION FIGURES dad! :reddit:

Hahaha lol I might have quoted spaceballs there. :v:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

very possibly 75mm - kicked that idea around a bit. Would fit the overall size of the model, especially of it isn't quite to scale

you are correct about the muzzle break - my bad. I didn't analyze the missiles beyond noting them because I honestly know even less about that than regular guns and cannons. depending on what's on them they could do a lot of booming
Hellfires maybe?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

Hellfires maybe?

They are loaded with a non-lethal batgas that gives everyone who breathed it a form of cancer that is potentially survivable, but only with prompt and very expensive treatment.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Does it come with the famous Batman vs Superman jar of piss OP?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MakaVillian posted:

Hellfires maybe?

More likely a TOW, hellfires are frikin big. A TOW shouldn't / wouldn't need to poke out of the front of the launcher, but we can put that down to artistic license.

Or possibly the need of the increasingly bloodthirsty Batman to have phallic symbols projecting prominently from the front of his death-machine, covered in the blood of the men he judges to be proxies of the man who murdered his mother.

"Mommy!" he cries, sexually deranged through unresolved Oedipal trauma from childhood, "I've lubed them up nice for you!" Then, pulling a special set of quick-release tabs on his Batsuit, he slides his rear end onto a smooth, gleaming missile tip. He is Batman, he is prepared for anything, he has spent weeks practicing with the Bat-plug to ready himself for this. With the help of slick red fluids, his bat-hole accepts the 15 cm missile and he finally achieves release...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
the funny part is that batman is still a better person than every real life billionaire

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

They are loaded with a non-lethal batgas that gives everyone who breathed it a form of cancer that is potentially survivable, but only with prompt and very expensive treatment.

The treatment, of course, is only available through Wayne Enterprises Insurance

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

The treatment, of course, is only available through Wayne Enterprises Insurance

Wrong.

Wayne Insurance will absolutely never, ever cover that treatment because Batman won't have his family money being spent to treat criminals.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
arkham knight wasn't a very good game but it was hilarious how they gave you the batmobile so that you could non-lethally run people over. you could even non-lethally drive back and forth over their 'unconscious' bodies.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
The Bat Cave has been closed since 1985

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
when did the BAT cave become the .... MAN cave!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Klyith posted:

More likely a TOW, hellfires are frikin big. A TOW shouldn't / wouldn't need to poke out of the front of the launcher, but we can put that down to artistic license.

Or possibly the need of the increasingly bloodthirsty Batman to have phallic symbols projecting prominently from the front of his death-machine, covered in the blood of the men he judges to be proxies of the man who murdered his mother.

"Mommy!" he cries, sexually deranged through unresolved Oedipal trauma from childhood, "I've lubed them up nice for you!" Then, pulling a special set of quick-release tabs on his Batsuit, he slides his rear end onto a smooth, gleaming missile tip. He is Batman, he is prepared for anything, he has spent weeks practicing with the Bat-plug to ready himself for this. With the help of slick red fluids, his bat-hole accepts the 15 cm missile and he finally achieves release...

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

There is a part in that game where a "criminal" is dangling by a rope helplessly over a pit of lethal green joker gas. He begs for you to save him. In order to progress with the game, you have to cut the rope he's hanging from to cause him to fall down into the gas and break a roof tile that's blocking you

Non-lethally, apparently