Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The glorious forests of Everbloom, the most magical place you have ever experienced in your life. Trees that reach above the clouds, water so purified it cures disease, and beasts the likes of which the average man would call a myth. So many phenomena, miracles of the gods according to the soft-skins, that exist purely within these boundaries. The simple air itself nurtured your form to become what you are today, its quiet loving energy caring for you so tenderly. Life, and thought, in an endless joy.

Time passes outside of the Everbloom, but to you, days and nights are a simple cycle of life in your beautiful home. Nothing could ever dare hurt it, for it is far too terrifying to the mortal mind. Those who may covet it would surely temper their greed, and realize nature's splendor must be left for only those who need it most, surely? Miracles were not something to be taken by force, and you, and the others like you were happy to gift the forests blessings to those with the greatest needs. Surely that would be enough?

Oh, what a fool you were. You realize it now, as your home stands, threatened, its waters polluted, its beasts hunted, its guardians poisoned, killed, or sealed, its ancient walls taken to be made into homes for the softskins. Myth could never remain threatening, when so close at hand. You did not realize that when the softskins made their village at the border, that it would come to this.

Thornvalley must fall. The softskins must be driven out. You are one of the few survivors of the Everbloom. And you know what you must do. But your mission shall not be simple - Thornvalley is home to many an 'adventurer', drawn to the miracles of the forest, or to make a name by taking on its massive beasts. You must gain power, and drive back the softskins before they ruin your home, forever.

But first, you must decide.... who and what are you?
My name is. . .

Name Here

I am a...

A. Treant - The largest and most physically imposing of all forest creatures, even the grand Gorebears do not risk your wrath easily. The ancient guardians of the Everbloom, your kind have always existed within its trees, ensuring that life continues within. You are a young sapling compared to the ancients who now lay sleeping due to the magics of the humans, but despite this fact you are a massive creature to all besides yourself, standing at twelve feet tall. Your strength is your greatest asset, but you have a potent connection to the nature magic of the Bloom, and it may be your weapon. Still, you cannot crush an army on your own, even if you would likely prove a fatal match for any of these 'adventurers' on their own.

You can grow strong fastest by fertilizing your roots with others bodies.

B. Dryad - Beautiful denizens of the forests, coveted by all who have seen them for their perfected forms, hand crafted to appeal to those they speak with. Dryads served as the voice of the Everbloom long ago, some say they were born for that purpose, when the softskins first found it in the ancient times, when the Bloom was still saplings. Now those who remain have seen horrible things, and more have been taken out of the forests, only to die imprisoned by the greedy softskins who sought their beauty. You lack magical power of your own, but know the old ways of induction, bringing softskins into the forest and making them its servants, a process the Ancients once forbid. They cannot stop you now.

You can grow strong strong fastest by Inducting humans, absorbing their lifeforce and power by luring them into your fold.

C. Pixie - The smallest creatures of the Everbloom, born from its excessive magic and masters at manipulating the flows of its life. These stewards of the forest ensured that life flourished, that no creature went extinct within its lands, and that the sick, poisoned, or otherwise dangerous were... removed. Now the forest you should be tending is dying, and for the first time in your life, you need to look outward. You are frail and weak, smaller than even a squirrel, but you hold a vast power over life itself... except for the fact that the Everbloom has weakened quite greatly. You'll need to strengthen its borders, and its denizens, if you'd like to unleash the fury of the forest on them. But at your side stands the animals of the forest, potentially ready to be brought to bear, their voices heard only by you.

You can grow strong fastest by tending to the ills of the forest directly, and healing it.

*Images not necessarily exactly like you.

This is not going to be the longest CYOA. But it's going to be a fun time where you get to try to destroy a bunch of humans for the sake of your home. Or die trying. Your first decision will be very impactful. You will never be as strong as a treant, as magically potent as a pixie, or as able to subvert and blend in as a dryad. Though there will be plenty of room for unique growth.

Updates will probably be slower for the first 3 weeks (I work retail!! haha holidays), but I just couldn't wait to get this up.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

quote:

Name: Vera Oak'n'fir
Title: Guardian - Additional strength within regions of Bloom.
Aspect: Beasts

Stats
Physique: 6/10 - Incredibly strong.
Magic: 3/7 - Proficient
Social: 1/4 - Incompetent

Skills

Compassion - Bonus to social with Everbloom Denizens.

Swordsmanship - Bonus to Physique-Combat while using Sword.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 22, 2021

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Reserved for... ???

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So happy to see this start up.

B
Scintilla Darkbough

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B
Claraphyllis Feystrider

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

[A]"Great Ashfather Woak, bearer of Titles the Elders are Too Asleep to Argue"

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

A Big Tree! Big Tree!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
A!

Name : Pole oakenfold

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
C

Orchid Ombreleaf

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
C: Sylvia Rivers

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A big tree named Yew Wood Beech is gonna gently caress some poo poo up.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 9, 2020

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

A, Barktholomew Needlemeyer IV

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C, Nectara Seen

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arcanuse posted:

+1 to this!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Arcanuse posted:

+1

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
C - a pixie

Name :sound of water dripping:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Arcanuse posted:

Woak up.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
A
Name: Lithocarpus, cause that sounds cool

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Vera Oak'n'fir

A

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I've been asked twice so I wanted to ensure ya'll that I will be taking votes through an RNG to select the winning vote. There's no need to worry about getting drowned out and your vote not mattering. There's always a chance.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We are the Great Tree Varban

or, A

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Arcanuse posted:

Cool

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Toughy posted:

Vera Oak'n'fir

A

You are Vera Oak'n'fir the youngest Treant of the Everbloom. This youth is very relative however, as you have walked in these forests for over fifty years, and stood within them for far longer, before you Awoke. You are twelve feet tall, and even with the Bloom faltering as it is, spring has your branches filled with leaves, and your feet covered in moss. Your proportions are not exactly like the soft-skins you have observed, however - your lumbering fists are larger than your own head, and the arms attached to them reach down below the joints of your facsimile of knees, allowing you to scoop up even the smallest of forest creatures with a minimal amount of issue. These hands are, however, not attuned for finely detailed work, and at times you miss the artwork the Dryads could weave from the smallest blades of grass.

Your people were Guardians, gentle giants of the forest who only showed their presence in times of need. Most of them lie dead now, victims of the wildfire that threatened to wipe out the southern Everbloom. Those too ancient to be killed by mortal hands lie trapped in an endless reverie, unaware of the world around them. Those who survived the fire and attempted to save their wise and powerful leaders now lay dormant, no different than any other tree within the Bloom. You are alone. The last Guardian of the Everbloom. You cannot deny this fact, for it is your existence, and you are unable to be anything else. But you also are Vera Oak'n'fir, and you think, you feel, as much or more than any other creature within this forest.

What drives you forward, more than any other feeling?
A. Anger, I hate what the soft-skins have done to my world, and I will use their bodies to fertilize its revival.
B. Duty, my job has always been to defend the Everbloom, and I am committed to it.
C. Compassion, I need to care for those still alive, and protect them from harm.
D. Righteousness, this is all horribly wrong, and must be corrected - by force.
E. Sadness, I'm seeking death to join those already gone, but cannot end my Guardianship.
F. I just really loving hate soft-skins, and no one can stop me from killing them now.

Your 'home' is within the eastern reaches of the forest, deep within the Endless Glade, furthest from the village of Thornvalley, the enemy. The seeds of the Everbloom originally came from further east, and this part of your home still thrums with magic ancient and living. It is warm, and safe. At least so long as you do not look around you. But your eyes open at last, and you see the sight you see every time you open your eyes within your home. All of your 'family', surrounding your home, silent, unmoving. You see a bird fly towards Birch'to, who once guided you when you first woke up. It nests within the empty sockets of his eye. A well of emotion sits within your hollow chest, sadness at your mentor's loss, pleasure at seeing life continue on.

You are youngest among the Treants, but you have always been more attuned to the magic of the land than many older than you. It is a part of you, as much as the wood, the water, as much as the soil, as much as the wolf who died years ago, they are all parts of you. You have been shutting it out, but today is the last day for that. You pull your roots from your home, and lift your large legs into the air, as you begin to walk. You have silenced yourself to the Everbloom's cries for longer than you ever should have. Today is the day of action.

Today you hear....

G. The earth quaking, ripped apart, carved into by a greedy wizardling and her minions.
H. The howls of a warg-mother, as it desperately attempts to guard its pups from a hunter seeking trophies..
I. The woods themselves shedding tears, as another of their fellows falls to the axes of the softskins.
J. The frenzied death-cries of a hundred herbs, picked en masse for a so-called healer.

Welcome to the game proper. These votes will influence your character sheet, but I will not mention how. They're both a part of chargen, and a path to move the story forward.

Speaking of character sheets:

quote:

Name: Vera Oak'n'fir
Title: Guardian - Additional strength within regions of Bloom.
Aspect: ???

Stats
Physique: 6/10 - Incredibly strong.
Magic: 4/8 - Proficient
Social: 1/4 - Incompetent

Yeah, that's your whole sheet. That's all you get. Those are all of the stats. You can grow your stats over time, but the caps do not change, ever*.

You will learn more about what these stats mean comparatively overtime.

*except when they do

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 13, 2020

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
DH

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

F/H
Vere might've always held the soft-skins in suspicion.
Probably would be smug and all I told you so if the elders weren't dead or dreaming while the forest is being ruined.
...Maybe Vera hates the elders more than the soft-skins, but the elders falling if Vera fail makes for a meagre consolation prize.
Ah, well. Go save some worgs. Harder to revive the fleshy-things you don't hate than it is to grow more trees and whatnot.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

F. I just really loving hate soft-skins, and no one can stop me from killing them now.

J. The frenzied death-cries of a hundred herbs, picked en masse for a so-called healer.

Let's get murdering!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
C and I

or the Candi vote if you would.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

FG

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
EI

Sad tree

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Also going with C and I

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
B
G
loving wizards

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Fucking with our Hound friends eh? That's a clubbing.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'm here for angry murderous tree spirit, so that's what I'm voting for
AH

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
DI

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

J

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Slaan posted:

EI

Sad tree

welfarestateofmind
Apr 11, 2020

"You are a violent and irrepressible miracle. The vacuum of cosmos and the stars burning in it are afraid of you. Given enough time you would wipe us all out and replace us with nothing -- just by accident."
EG

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

AI Let's go with keeping things classic. Angry tree beating up lumberjacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Why does the whizzard have a chicken strip tied to his face?