Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

In case you haven’t heard, parts of the central and southern US are experiencing record-breaking snow and freezing temps right now.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/15/rare-winter-storm-slams-texas-with-snow-ice-and-bitterly-cold-temps/

quote:

A rare winter storm in Texas is battering the state with heavy snow, ice and bitterly cold temperatures.

Every county in the Lone Star State is under a state of emergency as the winter weather extends all the way to the southern border.

“Every part of the state will face freezing conditions over the coming days, and I urge all Texans to remain vigilant against the extremely harsh weather that is coming,” said Governor Abbott, according to AccuWeather.

“Stay off the roads, take conscious steps to conserve energy, and avoid dangerous practices like bringing generators indoors or heating homes with ovens or stovetops.”

Major cities — including San Antonio, Dallas and Houston — can see several inches of additional snow by the time the precipitation moves out on Monday, according to forecasters.

Higher snowfall totals are expected in the northern part of the state — where up to 18 inches could accumulate, according to AccuWeather.

On Sunday night, heavy snow was falling in the border town of Del Rio, according to footage posted to Twitter.

As the winter weather moves east of Texas on Monday, frigid air will filter in, lasting for several days, according to forecasters.

My area is one of those affected and poo poo’s bad. Normally we might get a single snow in a year, about every other year, totalling one or two inches at most. We already got several inches of snow just a few weeks ago, which by itself was more than we typically get. We just got a second snow of at least 8 inches last night... AND THERE IS MORE COMING! THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN HERE! And temperatures are gonna stay below freezing until after that, so the snow we just got is not gonna melt between now and then. That kind of thing might happen a lot in other parts of America, but this is not one of those parts.

Until this year the coldest it’s ever been here is 16°. It just hit 14° last night. And it’s gonna go down to MINUS 3° before this poo poo is over.

The roads are nuts right now. Multiple deadly crashes and huge traffic pileups in major cities near me. The streets in my neighborhood alone are nigh impassible for my feeble little car, which is just as well since the car itself is buried under too much snow to be driveable anyway. I want to make pizza and gumbo for my stomach, but I have no mozz, no basil, no shrimp, no crawfish, only one onion and 3 ribs of celery.

At least I still have working power. A whole bunch of people here don’t even have that now.

https://twitter.com/JesseJenkins/status/1361348544154664961?s=20

Post here about how Snowpocalypse 2021 has affected you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

It sucks OP

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qojkjwJFCK1s1ddrj.mp4

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don’t own a leafblower :whitewater:

wait yes I do :mrgw:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Wow that's some dry snow.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So how many edgy hot takes about global warming/climate change have already been made concerning this

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Would they be cold takes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like global snowming!

but good luck to all you folks who will have trouble dealing w/ this. also thinking about the poor little outdoor critters and perennials and whatnot

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cold enough for ya, eh?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Congratulations on having to go to work every single morning in the Midwest.
Holy loving poo poo you righteous champions.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You can see the bottom of their tires in the video.

Christ forbid a plow did them in, once and it was up to the bumper!! You poor lazy shits.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My human form and 4 wheel dreadnaught is not meant to take the punishment of leaving snow so deep that I can still see tire tracks in it.

Ya fuckin babies it's not even up to your hub caps

My driveway looks like that right now and I park in it every day. Every day. I wake up to frost like that. And that's AFTER I've snowblowed it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 15, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
So far it's gently snowing in Ohio and we're supposed to get 12" by lunchtime tomorrow. Gonna have to get wild overnight to make that deadline.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Have they tried shooting the snow?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I take my dog to poo poo out in my driveway that's deeper than that because it's easier than walking them in the REAL snow because the drive is what I've plowed. And you're panicking about THAT?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qok7o8tUqN1r0uzl6.mp4

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP so mad at the snow he's sitting in his idling car in tha drive way with the windows tweaked down blasting Hustle and Flow - Whoop that trick gheddem BASS VErsion 100% but not driving around the neighborhood because that would be unsafe.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Where I live allegedly we never got much more than a couple inches annually before I moved here but ever since I've lived here it's basically been a clockwork cycle of every 2 years there's a big ol storm where we get a bunch. In between year is what it "used" to be which is easy enough to handle but when it pours it pours, got about 12.5 inches between thursday and today, but I got friday and monday off from it and did my shopping before the storm hit (I mean it was in the news it was coming) so aside from shoveling in the morning so it doesn't build up too much on the driveway/sidewalks it's been p uneventful. The worst is when a plow comes through and just puts a foot tall mound of compacted snow and ice right at the entrance of your driveway.

What I don't get is the people who just don't stay home. I was shoveling on sunday when it was 8-9 inches deep, live in a neighborhood where I'm certain hardly anyone would have jobs where they'd be required to go in on the weekend in a pandemic during a snowstorm, basically boomers that are either retired or have sufficiently white collar jobs, and I can't count how many cars were sliding around trying to go do ??? at 11:00 am on sunday with that much accumulation while it was still actively snowing. These are undoubtedly the same people who end up in all the local pieces about a 20 car pileup on our freeways just cruising around for seemingly no reason.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 15, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

can yall send me some snow instead of this endless loving rain because it's killing one of my really stupid sheep :smith:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

can yall send me some snow instead of this endless loving rain because it's killing one of my really stupid sheep :smith:

Aren't sheep already really stupid? Does this sheep just stand facing a wall all day or something

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Texas power grid is rear end and I'd say that should probably the lasting impression people take from all this

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Welcome to Canada, Texas.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

The Texas power grid is rear end and I'd say that should probably the lasting impression people take from all this

Honest question from up north, why is the grid taking such a beating during this storm? I have seen people pointing to everything from frozen wind turbines to the state having a separate grid being a contributing issue.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Global warming? Seems like we are in a global ice age at the moment.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

that's optimistic for a region whose power grid can get owned by few inches of snow

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Because US infrastructure is nearly unrivalled at being awful

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
We're projected to get between 6 and 14 more inches in the next 12 hours, which owns cuz it means I don't have to work tomorrow

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Honest question from up north, why is the grid taking such a beating during this storm?

Does this also happen during summer when everyone is running AC? Or is it caused by actual powerlines breaking from wind and ice?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Honest question from up north, why is the grid taking such a beating during this storm? I have seen people pointing to everything from frozen wind turbines to the state having a separate grid being a contributing issue.

I'm nowhere near the industry so I can't give you any technical knowhow, but have a fun example of our state government at work:

https://twitter.com/BlakeFox4News/status/1361417358967857154?s=20

https://twitter.com/BlakeFox4News/status/1361417461120131072?s=20

This weather did not sneak up on us. The forecast was pretty consistent in saying "poo poo is gonna be bad, possibly historically so." Not sure what benefit a few more days would have given us, but scrambling to fix an issue with broken tools in the middle of said issue is very Texas.

You'll get a pass for not expecting the entirety of the state to be under a winter weather advisory, but we couldn't handle 24 hours of this poo poo before things started to break.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

ekuNNN posted:

Does this also happen during summer when everyone is running AC? Or is it caused by actual powerlines breaking from wind and ice?

the difference between 75 and 100 degrees is much less than 75 and whatever it is now

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ekuNNN posted:

Or is it caused by actual powerlines *and Turbines* breaking from wind and ice?

It's this plus the post above plus a shitload of houses in Texas have like no goddamn insulation because they were built by loving criminally inept contractors and so people have to be running space heaters in addition to their heat in a ton of places or they freeze, which creates the perfect storm of "rip grid" so they freeze anyway

Texas!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Big Beef City posted:

My human form and 4 wheel dreadnaught is not meant to take the punishment of leaving snow so deep that I can still see tire tracks in it.

Ya fuckin babies it's not even up to your hub caps

My driveway looks like that right now and I park in it every day. Every day. I wake up to frost like that. And that's AFTER I've snowblowed it.

Keep in mind Texas is unprepared for weather of ANY kind.

Hurricane: What? It's flooding???
Heat: Jesus christ, why won't my AC stop running?
Cold/ice/snow (unfathomable): JFC, WTF
Mild spring day: OMG IT'S SO COLD

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The King Of The Hill episode where everybody freaks the gently caress out over a mild snowfall but this time its for real

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

OP so mad at the snow he's sitting in his idling car in tha drive way with the windows tweaked down blasting Hustle and Flow - Whoop that trick gheddem BASS VErsion 100% but not driving around the neighborhood because that would be unsafe.

hey I LIKE snow. I wish I lived in an area where this happens a lot.

but we tried driving my car through this much snow once before and it ended up in a ditch. a guy in a pickup truck had to tow us out because we couldn’t drive out of it ourselves, even with AWD. also this happened twice

Skypie posted:

We're projected to get between 6 and 14 more inches in the next 12 hours, which owns cuz it means I don't have to work tomorrow

I don’t have to work period :smug: because I have no job :smith:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

lol and now my TV screen has vertical green lines on it

I’m watching ABC World News Tonight and it looks like David Muir is sitting in a neon green jail

I am certain this is related to snow

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's this plus the post above plus a shitload of houses in Texas have like no goddamn insulation because they were built by loving criminally inept contractors and so people have to be running space heaters in addition to their heat in a ton of places or they freeze, which creates the perfect storm of "rip grid" so they freeze anyway

Texas!

to be fair, most parts of Texas normally get hot enough (and not cold enough) that “more insulation” == “house get hot” == “gotta crank up the A/C more”

even the more arid parts that do see a ton of snow activity in winter (north, west, and panhandle) typically get hot enough in the summer that insulation causes cooling issues

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i thought it was supposed to be global WARMING!? checkmate, liberals :smuggo:

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

I. M. Gei posted:

lol and now my TV screen has vertical green lines on it

I’m watching ABC World News Tonight and it looks like David Muir is sitting in a neon green jail

I am certain this is related to snow

haha you're one of the dozen people that watches network television

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Aren't sheep already really stupid? Does this sheep just stand facing a wall all day or something

They're dumb as hell and I love them a lot. This one could have any of a number of issues and she's been on her side and having a real scary time. She's up and running around right now!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i thought it was supposed to be global WARMING!? checkmate, liberals :smuggo:

see you're joking but I've been yelling at people on the internet all day about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Americans: covid is fake masks don’t work muh freedumbs

Also Americans: oh no a bit of snow!