Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
For about a year in the mid-90s, anybody who couldn't "walk the dog" would be shot dead in the street, and frankly, they deserved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
I found my one from the 90s the other day when I was clearing out my house.

Still works, I can't remember how to do any tricks though

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9TLftki5U

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I found one of those yoyos with springs and poo poo inside of it in my parents house. I used it once and it smashed the poo poo out of my finger so I put it away forever.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Yes I remember yoyos. Moreso I remember the last 16 yearly threads about "remember yo-yos?" on the Something Awful forums.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBc8KKU85c

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
If yo-yos were a japanese toy, they would have a tie-in cartoon set in a world where yo-yos are practically a global religion and the kids compete in massive tournaments where they use the yo-yos to summon ancient demons to fight each other.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Yo yos, slinkys, hula hoops. All those old timey toys sucked poo poo.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
was it a 90's thing or was it a being in fourth grade thing

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Cubone posted:

They have been around since ancient greece. I heard years ago that yo-yo's were originally a hunting weapon. That's not true, it was just used as a selling point when they were imported to the US from the Phillipines.

Check out these amazing chinese yo-yo/diabolo tricks:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3934125&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post506818858

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm still really good at yoyos

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Cubone posted:

i taught 4th grade for 6 years and all it takes is one kid to bring a yo-yo in and within a week everyone has one

that's because yo-yos own

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Imagine having to fight a yo-yo knife ninja

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i taught 4th grade for 6 years and all it takes is one kid to bring a yo-yo in and within a week everyone has one

that's because yo-yos own

I remember that happening a couple of times in grade school. Everyone forgets that yo-yos exist, someone reminds them, and now we have 6 weeks of yo-yos.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Smugworth posted:

Imagine having to fight a yo-yo knife ninja

Pfft, how about a shotgun yo-yo!

Tiger on the Beat, 1988.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSVgBAZmJzA

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I remember them doing the rally at school trying turn all of the kids in to chocolate bar salesman so you had a chance in the money box and then they brought out kids balling out with yoyos with strobe lights

The 90s were wild

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I was in fourth grade in 1989-1990 and I’m still waiting for slap bracelets and Pocket Rockers to make a comeback.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Pimpcasso posted:

I remember them doing the rally at school trying turn all of the kids in to chocolate bar salesman so you had a chance in the money box and then they brought out kids balling out with yoyos with strobe lights

The 90s were wild

They brought in some team of pro yo-yo guys to put on a big show in front of the entire 4th grade for an assembly. Then, yeah, everyone was into yo-up’s. Now that I think of it one of my elementary school administrators probably got a fat NOT-A-BRIBE for this looking back lol

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

misremembered or not I now 100% believe BIG YO YO is a real thing. Everybody did want those one brand, the fireballs, sometimes butterfly

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

bro like every two years in every middle school yo-yos become a thing again for 2 weeks

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Pretty sure my 7th grade science was on the take from BIG YO-YO.

If you didn't have one of *THESE* gtfo my face.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

No I thought Simpsons made up the phenomenon

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Was this before or after POGs? I can't remember.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

Whooping Crabs posted:

Was this before or after POGs? I can't remember.

I think right after. POGs didn't make a goddamn bit of sense to me.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I really remember the 90s as being like a succession of endemic fads - pogs, go-gos, marbles, kick scooters, super soakers, yo-yos, pokemon cards. It felt like each school year some kind of toy just lucked out on complete market penetration and appeal and everyone would get it and use it for a ~4-8 months before moving on to something else

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Randarkman posted:

I really remember the 90s as being like a succession of endemic fads - pogs, go-gos, marbles, kick scooters, super soakers, yo-yos, pokemon cards. It felt like each school year some kind of toy just lucked out on complete market penetration and appeal and everyone would get it and use it for a ~4-8 months before moving on to something else

You forgot tamogotchi, which I’m pretty sure wasn’t cyclical and was only huge once, like beanie babies (though the latter wasn’t even a kids phenomenon)

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I remember OP and I sucked so hard at YO. I'm the guy in the red shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIA0mRCj14I

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

you broke my grill posted:

No I thought Simpsons made up the phenomenon

NO shut up and get in the van!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

no

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Is that Colin from what we do in the shadows? lol

Edit: It is, lol

TK8325 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 9, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Was this guy being serious because he loving sucks rear end lol

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I spun a yoyo with such velocity that it was entrained into the “walk the dog mode”. It began guiding me, gently nudging and tugging. It led me to a pumpkin patch where two ladies sat, eating a bible together. It was then I knew, I knew, that yoyos dont make you cool. Nothing makes you cool we’re all loving dweebs and we all know it. :colbert:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember when people though jel casting was so cool. It is, super cool.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdYxsp6l400

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Were???

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I remember school selling them

If its not a ducan its not a yo yo

I think there was one called the butterfly

And later in the 90s you had some kinda weird clutch in yo yo s or maybe it was just some fake thing in the plastic to make you think it was special

also

"shut up and get in the van"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Valko posted:

Pfft, how about a shotgun yo-yo!

Tiger on the Beat, 1988.

Fuckign awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
these "yo yos" didn't do any actual yoyo tricks other than retract back to your hand immediately and if the spring or string jammed you'd have to swing it around like a weapon to get it unstuck

6.5 / 10