Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
OP UPDATED ON OCTOBER 13th

The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, or IATSE, is a union that represents various less-glamorous positions in the production of television and film in North America. For the first time in their 100+ year history, the IATSE may strike on October 18th if negotiations with the AMPTP, which represent the studios, do not result in an agreement. The driving force behind this potential strike come from streaming media becoming mainstream over the past 10 years while wages, hours, and opportunities have stagnated. Should October 18 come without a deal, pretty much all production will cease in North America, with some notable exceptions (HBO, Showtime, Starz, and other premium channels have different agreements with the IATSE).

Why is this different from the 2007-08 writer's strike? Well, unlike then, this strike includes camera crews, editors, and art directors, making even reality TV impossible. Essentially, if it's not ready for distribution when the strike starts, it won't be ready for distribution until the strike is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUO83uZxsrI

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Go IATSE!!!!!!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Escobarbarian posted:

GoATSE!!!!!!

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
Any word on the vote yet?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I spent my twenties as an IATSE projectionist.

Always side with labor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My father was a scab, so was my grandfather and great grandfather, I come from a long proud line of scabs. No picket line is too high for us to cross, no company's actions too abhorrent for us to step-in. We do draw the line at state violence, but if someone gets in the way of your pinwheel arm exercise on the way to your new job... so be it. I fully support this strike, I desperately need new work after being laid off during a outsourcing restructure, and this will be a great way to get my foot in the door of the industry and prove I'm a hard worker.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mal-3 posted:

Any word on the vote yet?

We'll know fairly soon - the vote goes until tomorrow.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Strike's on

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1445089577400741893

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You never want to strike, but sometimes you have to strike. Hopefully the AMPTP comes to their senses.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Good for them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:rock: gently caress yeah! Grind the machinery to a halt and let the bosses sufferrrrrrrrr! :rock:

In all seriousness, I hope everybody's got enough buffer funds and that nobody goes hungry.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I honestly expect it to go on for months. Cinema in particular takes so many man hours to eventually turn into a profit that stopping production only hurts bottom lines months from now. God speed, give 'em hell.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd hope they're savvy enough to recognize that no money later is pretty much the same as no money now, only later.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't see how it can go on for months. During the writers strike, shows were still able to shoot, edit, finish, etc as long as the scripts were already written. So there wasn't as much impetus to end it because, like you said, their bottom line wasn't really being affected yet.

When IATSE goes on strike, that's going to shut down basically 100% of production, and probably like 75% of pre and post production. Everything's gonna grind to a halt. They're (theoretically) gonna feel it right away.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, unless it’s ready NOW, it’s not going to be ready until the strike is over.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

When corporate overlords stretch labor too far, it's time to form a ring around the headquarters!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I checked in today with a buddy who is a producer on a ton of stuff, not a high-end guy making the decisions but an actually working grunty-ish job, and he predicated a strike (if it happens) would only last a few weeks. His rationale is that for the WGA strike, networks banked scripts to complete scripted seasons as best they could and then pivot to reality and ride through the summer. They also held off premiering the weaker stuff over the summer to hold for the fall season if needed.

You can't do that pivot to reality if your camera crew is on strike. You can't even do something like Big Brother if your grips that maintain the stage and post-production teams that cut the feeds together are on strike. This affects every level of production, and with 97% of voting members approving a strike the IATSE position is solidified.

They start renegotiating on Tuesday morning, let's see if the studios will insult their crews with another lame-rear end offer.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I read an article today that said they're planning on having another three weeks of negotiations before actually going on strike, so don't expect anything to happen anytime soon.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I have a question: does IATSE also work in stuff like live sports? Like, is the NFL not going to be able to broadcast games if the strike happens?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ShakeZula posted:

I have a question: does IATSE also work in stuff like live sports? Like, is the NFL not going to be able to broadcast games if the strike happens?

They do work in sports broadcasting but they have separate contracts with the leagues that are not affected by this strike.

So if this goes on for more than a month you can expect NBC to start broadcasting major league badminton in a desperate bid to put something on the air.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

DarklyDreaming posted:

They do work in sports broadcasting but they have separate contracts with the leagues that are not affected by this strike.

So if this goes on for more than a month you can expect NBC to start broadcasting major league badminton in a desperate bid to put something on the air.

Interesting, thanks!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DarklyDreaming posted:

Well it's only like 2-3 months before the winter olympics... Maybe this will make them actually cover more than ice skating and skiing?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well it's only like 2-3 months before the winter olympics... Maybe this will make them actually cover more than ice skating and skiing?

The Winter Olympics are in Beijing - everything on NBC will be tape delayed.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
IATSE more like goatse am i right fellas

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
2 grips 1 cut

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
What's to stop HBO from telling John Oliver CBS from telling Stephen Colbert, "push the record button yourself, we'll set up Skype for your guests"?

Fake E: HBO, Cinemax, BET and commercials ( and a few others) are under separate contracts and will not be involved in the Strike.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, that’s just one job being covered. Who’s going to edit the show?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, that’s just one job being covered. Who’s going to edit the show?

I knew the union was massive, I just wasn't sure they covered editing, post-production, etc. There is also part of me that thinks John Oliver would get shoved back into the void to work during another strike.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I knew the union was massive, I just wasn't sure they covered editing, post-production, etc. There is also part of me that thinks John Oliver would get shoved back into the void to work during another strike.

HBO is under a seperate deal so they won't be affected. He'd probably do a episode on it though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
We’re still on the first page and people still aren’t reading the OP :negative:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1446232848717991944

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

one of the underrated things about IATSE striking is they're literally the ones with all the video technicians and editors so they can pump out really well put together videos in support of their strike. love to see it

How!
Oct 29, 2009

We strike on Monday if an agreement isn’t reached. I wish we would do it today because I really don’t want to decorate this loving room right now.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

My kids do background work, and their agency is still booking jobs into November. Netflix movies, network TV series, everything. I asked one of our contacts today if they are at all prepared for the strike, and he said they aren't worried about the strike so much as the industry continuing to go full-vaxx mandates. Apparently, only about 30% of the families registered with them, whose kids do the majority of background work in Hollywood, are vaccinated. And many with younger kids aren't planning on getting them the shot when it's available.

These next few months are going to be a shitshow.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

How! posted:

We strike on Monday if an agreement isn’t reached. I wish we would do it today because I really don’t want to decorate this loving room right now.

Extremely same. Everybody on our production is super gung-ho to strike.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Strike averted, 3-year deal being finalized and up for membership review.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/iatse-and-amptp-agreement-strike-averted-1235081349

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Lame

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Aight who caved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Deal looks like it at least addresses the main sticking point (the absurd schedules)