Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
reality?

for real

i'm not high. well. not yet. i'll probably be high by the end of this post. but i'm being for real.

as i get older it happens more often, on a daily basis now, these intense existential crises where i'm lke "okay so either there's a god and someone made the universe OR the universe didn't get made and has been here forever"

and it's like... both those options are so loving insane! really! why does literally anything exist? and why did that stuff coalesce into a brain that is asking these questions??? does my mouse Mimi think aout this poo poo? i doubt it!

and so... so you're like, okay, so what. so my third eye is open. reality is Maya. i'm listening to alan watts and i'm like "yeah... yeah"

but... so what really is the point then? what do you do? what do we do? what is worth doing?? WHY DOES ANY OF THIS EXIST???

why do i keep seeing places in "the real world" that i dreamed about 10 or 20 years ago? is it because consciousness experiences all times at once and time is an illusion or is it because magic is real or is it because i'm just insane? all those options are too weird to be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
no, I don't do any of that

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

precision posted:

reality?

for real

i'm not high. well. not yet. i'll probably be high by the end of this post. but i'm being for real.

as i get older it happens more often, on a daily basis now, these intense existential crises where i'm lke "okay so either there's a god and someone made the universe OR the universe didn't get made and has been here forever"

and it's like... both those options are so loving insane! really! why does literally anything exist? and why did that stuff coalesce into a brain that is asking these questions??? does my mouse Mimi think aout this poo poo? i doubt it!

and so... so you're like, okay, so what. so my third eye is open. reality is Maya. i'm listening to alan watts and i'm like "yeah... yeah"

but... so what really is the point then? what do you do? what do we do? what is worth doing?? WHY DOES ANY OF THIS EXIST???

why do i keep seeing places in "the real world" that i dreamed about 10 or 20 years ago? is it because consciousness experiences all times at once and time is an illusion or is it because magic is real or is it because i'm just insane? all those options are too weird to be true

lol gently caress no?

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
lol maybe take a break from drugs op

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hmm, nope

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Yea

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
bro the universe exists because a bunch of matter will naturally form one if you put it all in the same place, it doesn't really matter why it's there because we have no way of measuring anything that happened before all the matter started expanding nor do we have any way of conceptualizing time without space

your brain exists because when matter gets together in the right way it forms genes that want to propagate themselves forward and your brain happens to be a good tool of genetic propagation

everything past that is up to you to decide, it doesn't matter if you're happy or sad or fulfilled or empty or what, the only thing that matters is what you decide matters

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

waiter, Ill have what hes having

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
no, you realy don't want to be like this. it sucks so bad. i am very jealous of people who don't think about this stuff, constantly,, always lmao

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

take a philosophy class op.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQKILDM_dY

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

precision posted:

reality?

for real

It's actually very simple logically. Reality is because you wouldn't be here to have a complex about it if reality is not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I agree, op. What fucks me up is what mechanism determined that “I” experience the universe from this perspective, and not say, from my neighbor’s?

poo poo’s wild man

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

precision posted:

i am very jealous of people who don't think about this stuff, constantly,, always lmao

No you aren't.
If you were you'd do something about it.
Ok bye.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

I used to but then I learned the secret to getting over this is to just focus on the things that personally affect you and humanity in general. For example, focus on fixing global warming instead of flipping out over the sun getting bigger and swallowing up the Earth five billion years from now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

God approached me in a dream and told me the nature of the universe but in the dream I was also sweat eating a huge mound of lemons with the rinds on and couldn't hear him over the blood pounding in my ears I regret my actions to this very day

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

precision posted:

Being high and being for real are not mutually exclusive

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was toying with the idea the other day that maybe the universe had no stars or planets or even nature in our distant history. Maybe it was all just craft, literal spacecraft, zipping around in the light, living on a perfect sugar. Maybe there was no birth or death, just perfect copies of god trying to make a course, to make something real. Maybe their desire to make more of themselves made a density of life that eventually found each other, and the ecstasy was so intense that it became their religion, to seek out more like themselves, and to make this superior god from their psychedelic visions and the differences they had made in spacetime, relative to themselves, and to make a memory of their vision by making a mount in spacetime, by literally assembling a mountain and creating gravity, and they cast the light into a black sun that was too bright for even them to see, but that their next generation could see in its full spectrum. That what they saw through the iris would be a template for liberating their own nature, where it could travel and explore and become through this greater desire they had made with craft. Like it just felt good dawg, felt better than the best spacecraft, than the best communion, that we could all be different and unique in love, and that would make an even better feeling than god. To make human kind for real, always changing and projecting in dreams and death, always learning and living, and a period of youth where they could just enjoy creation without doing the work to make it.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

precision posted:

and it's like... both those options are so loving insane!

there's another option that the physical universe was created from "natural" extra-universe phenomena

that doesn't answer the question 'where does the totality of existence come from' but if there is an extra-universe then you don't need to worry about 'forever' anymore since time doesn't necessarily exist outside the physical universe hth

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
psychedelics are great :yeah:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
If nothing else I know the op is real

real gay

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

How are u posted:

psychedelics are great :yeah:

hey your av just changed, did someone disagree with you in D&D or something

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

TengenNewsEditor posted:

hey your av just changed, did someone disagree with you in D&D or something

I have avs turned off so you have prompted me to look, and it is different from the last time i checked which was...idk some time ago?

so ya probs

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I think about large pig testes and feel better

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There's no why :)

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I wasn't anything or aware it kinda sucks OP

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

No, I have to go to work so usually im thinking about work stuff

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

No, I have to go to work so usually im thinking about work stuff

i work 60 hours a week and this is all i think about at work too haha it owns hahahahahahahahah

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I usually just pray to Jerry Garcia and Terence McKenna until the feeling goes away

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gduUeX0N4Q

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

no thats weird maybe somethings wrong with you

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yea God's real dude don't listen to the dead eyed husks itt you're probably on to something and you should dedicate yourself to deepening your link to God, who is real, for your own benefit and don't sweat the nerds

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah buddy

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

precision posted:

i'm not high

who are you trying to convince? me, or the shadow person standing right behind you?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

yes. its like the fever dreams i used to have as a kid where every atom in the universe was a little cog and theyre all working together to move the big machine.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

reality is s cruel joke made by an uncaring god, op

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i paralyze ur mom from the waist down, op

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
No, when i have bad mushroom trips i obsess over how filthy, horrifying, and pointless existence is, i don't worry worry about immensity or insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all

Nigmaetcetera posted:

No, when i have bad mushroom trips i obsess over how filthy, horrifying, and pointless existence is, i don't worry worry about immensity or insanity.
That sounds terrible, mail me some