Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

WIlliam Hurt dead at age 71.
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/movies/oscar-winning-actor-william-hurt-dead-at-age-71-20220314-p5a4d4.html

As I rather morbid type myself, I'm trying to show respect by not acting too joyous about beating that other goon to the punch at making a celebrity death news thread. This guy wasn't just Sanford's son's dog or whatever, but a drat good hard working actor.

I'll always remember him for his role in Altered States (1980), which was the first film in which he appeared. He's been in dozens of great movies over the years since then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hurt#Film

Cause of death still TBC I think, but in 2018 he was diagnosed with prostate cancer that had already metastasized to the bones. No source at all for the following, just saying: If it turns out it was a 'drug overdose' that finished him, I'd bet money on the drugs having being taken for euthanasia purposes. I know if I had an immensly painful terminal but lingering bone hurting disease I'd probably do the same.

Anyway :rip: to a good one.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
he was a actor

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

ok

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BigBadSteve posted:

WIlliam Hurt dead at age 71.
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/movies/oscar-winning-actor-william-hurt-dead-at-age-71-20220314-p5a4d4.html

As I rather morbid type myself, I'm trying to show respect by not acting too joyous about beating that other goon to the punch at making a celebrity death news thread. This guy wasn't just Sanford's son's dog or whatever, but a drat good hard working actor.

I'll always remember him for his role in Altered States (1980), which was the first film in which he appeared. He's been in dozens of great movies over the years since then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hurt#Film

Cause of death still TBC I think, but in 2018 he was diagnosed with prostate cancer that had already metastasized to the bones. No source at all for the following, just saying: If it turns out it was a 'drug overdose' that finished him, I'd bet money on the drugs having being taken for euthanasia purposes. I know if I had an immensly painful terminal but lingering bone hurting disease I'd probably do the same.

Anyway :rip: to a good one.

Probably not an OD. Media reports are saying he died surrounded by his family.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

he shouldnt have kissed that spider woman imho

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ZGEvJPQ6A
Altered States is a great flick

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
He was over rated. I had to watch his performance in The Accidental Tourist for school where he plays a bland no body and he still failed at it.

quote:

After the death of his son, Macon Leary, a travel writer, seems to be sleep walking through life. Macon's wife, seems to be having trouble too, and thinks it would be best if the two would just split up. After the break up, Macon meets a strange outgoing woman, who seems to bring him back down to earth. After starting a relationship with the outgoing woman, Macon's wife seems to think that their marriage is still worth a try. Macon is then forced to deal many decisions

The book was bad, but the movie sent me to sleep.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

Probably not an OD. Media reports are saying he died surrounded by his family.

so, autoerotic asphyxiation then?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

It was kind of forgettable

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
William Nolongerinpain :unsmith:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Spousal abuser died so what

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
Marlee Matlin's abuser died?

Decent actor, very bad "romantic" partner that was enabled by nearly everyone in the industry.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

iwentdoodie posted:

sootikins posted:

Marlee Matlin's abuser died?

Decent actor, very bad "romantic" partner that was enabled by nearly everyone in the industry.

Here comes the terminally online :rolleyes:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Farewell, William Hurt, king of the arachnids. Your body will decay... but your spirit... lingers on... And your human friends find solace, in the loss they have sustained.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

iwentdoodie posted:

He did what? None of the news reports mention this.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Comstar posted:

He did what? None of the news reports mention this.

Actual text from the book is more "he beat me then held me down and rammed himself inside"

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Rip old guy

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Abloo bloo bloo, I dated Jeremy Assrapist and guess what happened to me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Devils Affricate posted:

Abloo bloo bloo, I dated Jeremy Assrapist and guess what happened to me

the gently caress

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

John Hurt already died 5 years ago? :(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

the gently caress

The most charitable reading I can give to that post was making a joke that since she dated a guy with the last name of "Hurt" she should have expected to be beaten and raped.
It completely fails as a joke because it wasn't funny and is a resoundingly awful take.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Two junkies were in an abusive relationship i am shocked

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Who will inherit his empire of dirt?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

That was John Heard. A natural mistake. :rip:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My entire experience with William Hurt is British television announcing him as a guest as if I'm supposed to already know he's famous for seeing something

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Lurking Haro posted:

i got really confused when i saw the thread title

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I see that both John Hurt and John Heard died in 2017. What a confusing year.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
John hurtin for a squirtin

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Jesus Joey

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

“We have to go down, through the planet while she’s breaking up.”

That’s the only line I remember from Bill Hurt

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

RIP Willy Hurt. I guess I'll use this an an excuse to finally watch Until the End of the World.

I kinda want to go back and time both performances to see if his role in A History of Violence beat Alec Baldwin's in Glengarry Glen Ross for shortest time on screen that garnered an Oscar nomination.

Edit: I guess Baldwin didn't get nominated for Glengarry, although Hurt is still second place to Warren Beatty in Network.

Dr. Gojo Shioji fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 14, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

kntfkr posted:

Jesus Joey

I'm imagining he died while fumbling for his keys now

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He was extremely good in Body Heat, but I can’t say I care about a single other thing he’s done.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Torquemada posted:

He was extremely good in Body Heat, but I can’t say I care about a single other thing he’s done.

To tell the truth me neither other than his leading role in Altered States, but he still gets an :rip: from me and I hope I get some myself after I eventually shuffle off the mortal coil (cark it).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i killed him

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

OP did you quickly post this to secure yourself the first thread then go back and edit in an actual post?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
That’s it, I’m doing ayahuasca.

E; you’ve all stood in the way of me trying ayahuasca for too long!

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 15, 2022

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I remember when they were making the Dune miniseries and SciFi was like "Holy crap we got William Hurt!" and I had no idea who he was really, but he was one of the most boring parts of that series and from then on if I look for things to watch and see something he is in, I sort of hesitate.

I feel like there was a period where people spoke his name in the same sentence as Ian Holm, and I didn't really get it.

Anyway RIP Duke Leto(2)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
RIP the cult leader from the Village.

Underrated movie with some great acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

SAY YOHO posted:

I remember when they were making the Dune miniseries and SciFi was like "Holy crap we got William Hurt!" and I had no idea who he was really, but he was one of the most boring parts of that series and from then on if I look for things to watch and see something he is in, I sort of hesitate.

I feel like there was a period where people spoke his name in the same sentence as Ian Holm, and I didn't really get it.

Anyway RIP Duke Leto(2)

I'll always know him as Arkady Renko in Gorky Park, in which I'd say he was pretty good.