Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

the crazy lawsuit guy has some people wringing their hands over the fact that he's a diagnosed(?) schizophrenic. so is it mental illness specifically, or a more general "person with hosed up qualities because of circumstances beyond their control"?

i submit that 95% of this community's favored targets for Jokes, such as redditors, conservatives, etc probably got that way partly through circumstances beyond their control like bad education, parenting, culture, lead exposure and probably a good chunk of them also have undiagnosed illnesses

you can say that many of these categories of people still had a chance to overcome those barriers to not being awful, but is that not basically the same bootstraps argument that gets people so heated up when it comes to economic discussions? also does that "overcome it" argument not also apply to people with mental illness? why are they special, and why are you privileging diagnosed illness when a lot of people do not have the time or resources or opportunity to be diagnosed?

i lean pretty strongly toward More Jokes unless it is obviously leading toward negative irl behavior or impacting the subject. maybe that's a slippery slope that creates a culture that elects bad presidents and i am the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I draw the line at people making fun of me. that's just hosed up

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I actually haven't seen many people mocking the schzophrenic guy op, but those lawsuits are pretty funny imo.. can laugh at something existing without it being about making someone feel bad

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I mock everything and everyone, especially myself

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

The Walrus posted:

I actually haven't seen many people mocking the schzophrenic guy op, but those lawsuits are pretty funny imo.. can laugh at something existing without it being about making someone feel bad

sure, i agree on that point. the lawsuit is funny. i do not particularly care about the circumstances of the guy that produced the funny thing one way or another

However, if you look in the donate thread there are people who are equating laughing at the lawsuit with "mocking the mentally ill" and it seems like a real stretch to me

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

The Walrus posted:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You already have to be an irredeemable rear end in a top hat in order to go online and start posting :shrug:

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
one goon handwringing in the stickied thread does not make "some people", OP

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
One kilogram more than me

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So 241 kilograms

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I only mock owls

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

search engine posted:

the crazy lawsuit guy has some people wringing their hands over the fact that he's a diagnosed(?) schizophrenic. so is it mental illness specifically, or a more general "person with hosed up qualities because of circumstances beyond their control"?

i submit that 95% of this community's favored targets for Jokes, such as redditors, conservatives, etc probably got that way partly through circumstances beyond their control like bad education, parenting, culture, lead exposure and probably a good chunk of them also have undiagnosed illnesses

you can say that many of these categories of people still had a chance to overcome those barriers to not being awful, but is that not basically the same bootstraps argument that gets people so heated up when it comes to economic discussions? also does that "overcome it" argument not also apply to people with mental illness? why are they special, and why are you privileging diagnosed illness when a lot of people do not have the time or resources or opportunity to be diagnosed?

i lean pretty strongly toward More Jokes unless it is obviously leading toward negative irl behavior or impacting the subject. maybe that's a slippery slope that creates a culture that elects bad presidents and i am the problem

Cram it, loser

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Let people enjoy things OP.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I once roasted a guy about his Winamp skin so hard that he emigrated

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Icochet posted:

I once roasted a guy about his Winamp skin so hard that he emigrated

:drat:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
'Man sues business over business not being sufficiently nice to him' sounds like an archetypal Spoiled American Consumer (tm) story. I doubt very few people would immediately assume the guy is schizophrenic.

As an aside, you're posting on the 'your poison womb is making heaven too crowded' web site. The line was engraved somewhere on the moon with a giant laser.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Its Love, because its not always on time.

Thats where I hold the line.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Ask this in fyad and/or qcs to gain the knowledge you seek

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Mocking people for what they are is not ok.

Mocking people for what they do is fine.

Special cases ( grey areas ) include:
Someone who does funny poo poo because they are mentally ill, or are differently abled: laugh at the funny poo poo while acknowledging it is a result of something the person has little control over.

Bad things happening to kids : extremely situationally dependant. Like, how bad we talkin here?

Pseudo italian accents mocking new yorkers are always funny unless it is mocking an actual italian person from italy, then its a grey area again.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

STABASS posted:

I draw the line at people making fun of me. that's just hosed up

ur face is as dumb as a butt

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

fresh_cheese posted:

Mocking people for what they are is not ok.

Mocking people for what they do is fine.

Special cases ( grey areas ) include:
Someone who does funny poo poo because they are mentally ill, or are differently abled: laugh at the funny poo poo while acknowledging it is a result of something the person has little control over.

Bad things happening to kids : extremely situationally dependant. Like, how bad we talkin here?

Pseudo italian accents mocking new yorkers are always funny unless it is mocking an actual italian person from italy, then its a grey area again.

What zone is an Italian kid who slips on a plate of spaghetti and falls (but isn't seriously hurt by it)? p.s. the kid is fat.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
There's a doco about a guy with Downe's Syndrome who knows hes getting special treatment and abuses it. Cant remember the name.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

There's a doco about a guy with Downe's Syndrome who knows hes getting special treatment and abuses it. Cant remember the name.

I went to high school with a Down's kid who abused the gently caress out of his special treatment (more than once and less than 10 times I walked into a men's bathroom to see him facing the door jacking off and nodding accordingly), and at our 10th reunion he admitted that he did all that on purpose because, "everyone was acting like a pussy about me," while we were sitting around catching up.

Honestly it made all of it way funnier.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Zybourne Clock posted:

What zone is an Italian kid who slips on a plate of spaghetti and falls (but isn't seriously hurt by it)? p.s. the kid is fat.

Beep boop …..

Processing……

Processing…..

Ding!

Result: Funny as gently caress

Notes: fatness not a critical aspect of the humor or the source thereof, rather as a modifier of the event and thus enhances the funny rather than detracting from it. Carrying an armload of meatballs instead of being fat similarly enhances the funny.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
A flag that's a fist punching a plate of spaghetti with a red circle and line through it.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

fresh_cheese posted:

Beep boop …..

Processing……

Processing…..

Ding!

Result: Funny as gently caress

Notes: fatness not a critical aspect of the humor or the source thereof, rather as a modifier of the event and thus enhances the funny rather than detracting from it. Carrying an armload of meatballs instead of being fat similarly enhances the funny.

*reads post and nods head while bringing a big pot of water to a boil*

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I've never mocked a human

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I mocked an apple pie once. You can only buy crackers so many times before curiosity gets hold of you.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Buce posted:

I've never mocked a human

Interesting, because you could have chosen less mocking words here...

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

(In extremely NYC voice): Mama mia! I smell-a lawsuit coming!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

actually some people must be mocked

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Zybourne Clock posted:

(In extremely NYC voice): Mama mia! I smell-a lawsuit coming!

Hold-a my bridge-oot.

( rolls up sleeves )

Ref: https://parmacrown.com/what-is-prosciutto/

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

OP has a great question. One rule I try to follow is to refrain from denigrating humans for how they exist. What I mean is that people don't choose biological parents or genetics and to mock these sort of things is meanspirited and quite frankly stupid.

There is also a distinction between private citizens and public figures. People who intentionally place themselves in 'the spotlight' are in turn opening themselves to public criticism. Private citizens should not face public scrutiny the same way. Which is not to say that private citizens should be immune to public critique, but it should be within context and proportionality based on the individual's actions.

Example: JK Rowling is labeled as a trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF). She gets tons of flack about this online and rightfully so. She has cultivated a public voice and platform, has immense power (compared to most humans), and choses to say ignorant things. Mock that TERF all day.

On the inverse, Monica Lewinski has been relentlessly mocked for being a private citizen who was coerced into an affair by a public official. She was collateral damage in a justified attack on Bill Clinton and the media shamefully fueled this. This is repulsive.

Continuing this line of logic, we shouldn't call people words used to denigrate birth status. There are words which have fallen out of favor (rightfully) while others remain. Commonly censored words: R word (denigrating person based on mental handicap), N word (denigrating someone based skin color), and countless others.

Regardless our society is not really good at following this ideal and frequently censors certain words but not others which contain same meanspirited root. Examples are 'bastard' (denigrating person based on birth status), and 'dumb' (denigrates based on unchosen physical limitation).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I am laughing with them every time I mock someone.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I used to mock the man who has no shoes, until I met the man who has no feet. Now that's funny!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

search engine posted:

yeah I dunno

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Frankenstyle posted:

I used to mock the man who has no shoes, until I met the man who has no feet. Now that's funny!

Because there isn't a feet store?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
let me try and explain this OP: basically there is a concept about "punching up or down." essentially what this means is that, if someone is taller than you and you have to aim your fist upwards to punch them, you are "punching up" which is ok. conversely, if the person is shorter and you have to aim downwards, you are "punching down" which is not ok. there are some workarounds to this. if someone is shorter than you, but you manage to catch them in a position where they are above you (they are standing above you on a staircase, you trick them into standing on top of a box, etc.), you are now in a "punching up" situation and you are free to act accordingly. theoretically you can also lower yourself by squatting down to punch them, but many consider this a moral grey area so I cannot recommend that technique. that's pretty much the basics, feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Call an rear end in a top hat an rear end in a top hat IMO, irrelevant of their genetics and upbringing. gently caress political correctness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

looks like you just outed yourself as non-human