Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Like he dishonored himself or whatever, and they were like "sorry man you gotta seppuku" and he was like "yeah....the only problem is I can't remember where I put my sword. I think it's in the other dojo. I'll go check" and then he just books it and runs off. That's probably what I would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Katanas were made of such shoddy iron I bet if samurais did a proper ab workout instead of raping and murdering peasants they'd just break the blade off with their glistening rock hard abs! It's like being hanged, if the rope breaks you get to go free

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

veni veni veni posted:

Like he dishonored himself or whatever, and they were like "sorry man you gotta seppuku" and he was like "yeah....the only problem is I can't remember where I put my sword. I think it's in the other dojo. I'll go check" and then he just books it and runs off. That's probably what I would do.

Maybe the really "bad" samurai made that up to get the "noble" losers out of the way

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Why would they want to get out of twenty dudes busting on their face?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's harakake

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Wear a loose kimono, tie a bag animal guts to your abdomen, "gut" it, and refuse the mercy decapitation because you want to die with honor.

Then when they have your funeral rise up like a samurai ghost.

loving legend.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sepukku ended up literally just being an execution method. You went along with it so the government didn't gently caress up your family too.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's harakake

The crappy bar sing-along thing?
I dunno why a samurai would do that but I guess if they need to atone...

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You think you could barter down?
Like you got caught getting pegged by the daimos daughter and you're like 'ok sure dishonor whatever what if I just cut one of my feet off?"
I mean those are pretty important.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

no 武士 would be so 不名誉 OP

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
have you seen harakiri? the guy tries to get out of seppuku by bringing a wooden sword and the dudes are like oh well guess u better use that wooden sword and he's like bruh and they're like we don't got all day and then his dad finds out and kills everybody. it loving rules

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If a samurai had a colostomy bag they could probably get away with just cutting it open imo

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I go to seppuku myself and a little flag pops out of the other end of my body that says "bang!" on it.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
I don’t know if this is actually in any plays or whatever but I’ve definitely seen a kabuki play where one of the main scenes is someone having a conversation with a dude who’s in the middle of committing seppuku. Sword sticking halfway out of the gut and everything, the dying dude is sobbing and wailing like he’s already a ghost.

I’m not 100% sure how old that play is but if it was being performed when there were active samurai I can definitely see one of them heading home from a performance of that and coming up with a seppuku escape plan.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

bossy lady posted:

I go to seppuku myself and a little flag pops out of the other end of my body that says "bang!" on it.

i've seen this magicians secret revealed. the flag is kept up the bum, and with practiced use of the bumhole muscles you make the flag pop out at the right time.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Stabbing yourself in the gut is the drat dumbest idea of honor I've ever heard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i bet there was a whole thing of like, people who would tell you how to stab yourself in the gut and "only" mess up your guts real bad but leave you basically alive and pooping in an ancient colostomy bag or whatever

"its gonna be fine man just remember 3 inches left of the belly button, my cousin bob hazumatso did it and he's fine"

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

why would you seppuku yourself instead of just joining a monastery or changing your name and moving to alaska? seems pretty fuckin dumb to me

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
honorless pos posting itt.

ive done seppukku before, not a big deal if you're not a subhuman chunk of trash

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Buce posted:

why would you seppuku yourself instead of just joining a monastery or changing your name and moving to alaska? seems pretty fuckin dumb to me

lmao how the gently caress is seppuku real bro hahaha like just walk away from the duel

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
Yes, OP. This is why ronin were very common and also why they were dangerous and badass. When confronted, they would probably say something like "honour? that's a pretty word." And then they were cut down like twenty of the samurai cops trying to arrest them.

Source: none, just my logic and knowledge of animes and videogames.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ok daimio if you don't shut up I'm taking the sword back out and going home!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

kntfkr posted:

have you seen harakiri? the guy tries to get out of seppuku by bringing a wooden sword and the dudes are like oh well guess u better use that wooden sword and he's like bruh and they're like we don't got all day and then his dad finds out and kills everybody. it loving rules

Movie is extremely tight and it’s a remake. The old version is just as good too

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Das Boo posted:

Stabbing yourself in the gut is the drat dumbest idea of honor I've ever heard.

A lot of this poo poo was never about honor, it was about the upper classes coming up with sadistic ways to punish people who pissed them off.

Then again, samurai were huge shits too, so gently caress 'em.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I don't see why they would. It's a huge buff to your bleed damage for relatively little damage to yourself. The only real downside is that the animation for it is quite long.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Why would they want to get out of twenty dudes busting on their face?
your thinking of sudoku

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I bet you could make big bucks selling theatrical collapsible katanas in imperial japan

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

your thinking of sudoku

Nah, it's that condiment with seaweed in it that you sprinkle on rice.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if any of them ever just slid the blade between their arm and their side and played dead.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If sudoku was such a workplace hazard they should have replaced all katanas with golfclubs

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

feedmegin posted:

Sepukku ended up literally just being an execution method. You went along with it so the government didn't gently caress up your family too.

I always wondered why you’d go along with the whole seppuku thing but this makes sense

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i would do it, but only if it was a double sided katana and i could ride it with a friend

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Bad Purchase posted:

i would do it, but only if it was a double sided katana and i could ride it with a friend

Even got a flared guard, for safety

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fun fact, if you're the last one to commit seppuku, you don't have to do it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Infamous samurai college game, soggy katana

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LuckyCat posted:

I wonder if any of them ever just slid the blade between their arm and their side and played dead.

:lol:

naem
May 29, 2011

kntfkr posted:

yes and :agreed:

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

Ichabod Tane posted:

Movie is extremely tight and it’s a remake. The old version is just as good too

Yeah, I came into the thread to bring up that movie too. I watched the old one, like, 5 years ago and it was great. If I remember right, there was a scam where you go up to some rich lord's manor and say, "Yo, I'm looking for a good place to kill myself. Can I use your courtyard?" Then because of superstitions about someone committing suicide in their house, the lord pays you to gently caress off. Works great until you run into the dude that calls your bluff. Gotta imagine that's when the topic of the thread comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry sir, but you’re problems are twofold. First off, this is a bojangles drive thru, second we only have plastic butter knives so this is going to take quite a while. :shrug: