Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
"I heard a report which came from the direction of the shaft. I said to my marrow, 'What's that?' to which he replied, 'I think it'll be a shot.' I said 'That's no shot,' and as I spoke a boy came running up and shouted 'Be sharp out-bye; something's happened! All the cast is blown out!'

We went off as hard as we could toward the shaft, other men and lads joining us. As we ran, the dust was so dense that it was like to smother us. We reached the shaft however, and found the tubs all blown about, and the way torn up, timber and brattice and mutilated bodies in a heap."

- Mr. Roger Winnstead, hewer in the Portshead Seam, survivor of the 1887 disaster

---

"We were down there for days. The carbides ran out one by one and we were left in the darkness. There were maybe two score of us, half in fits from the after-damp. We could hear the men calling from above, as from far away. Only ten of us made it out. I don't know what happened to the rest. Lost, all, wandering, calling out to spirits in the dark."

- Harlow Soulsby, engineman in the Portshead Seam, survivor of the 1887 disaster

---

"A mine is a hole in the ground with a liar standing next to it."

- Mark Twain

Welcome to Grin!

This is a game for five players put into unlikely and unfortunate situations to do their best to survive. The game is played in unstructured PbP format. Actions to be taken, depending on the circumstances, will be successful or not based on the pull of a playing card from a deck.

The Decks:

52 normal playing cards plus 6 jokers

The Rules:

Please be respectful of other players – remember that bad gaming is worse than no gaming at all

No erotica or sexual assault

While the game is set up to be horrific, let me know if we’re approaching a personal line in the sand w/r/t content. I want this to be a fun, safe space

The game is designed to be pretty rules-lite and loose – I’m going to be ruling on the fly and will likely be contradictory or make mistakes because I’m just like that. I will do my best to “yes, and” all of your actions.

I'm going to play this mostly first-come-first-served, in the sense that if I ask "who talks first" whoever posts is welcome to take it or not- my personal philosophy is that this is almost an improv-based game, so please feel free to "yes, and" as well ;)

The Gameplay:

At various points in the game, at DM’s discretion, the player will be required to make a “pull” to check whether their action is successful

Players will post which deck they would like to make their pull from, as well as deck(s) for any follow-up pulls that are required

A pull of any 2, 3, or 4 is considered a “soft fail” or “success with consequences”

A pulled Ace can be saved to avoid a later pull

A pull of the Jack of Diamonds, Queen of Spades, or King of Hearts automatically triggers an extra pull

A JOKER is a critical failure
When a player pulls their second joker of the game, their character is removed from the game

The Pulls

I will be posting most pulls in the following format [Deck: White/Blue][Card Number][Suit: :s::h::c::d:] along with the narrative results of the pull - sometimes this will be ceding control to the player, similar to how it works in Dungeon/Apocalypse World

However! I will make imgur uploads of the card images and then embed them as links, along with spoilering the results of the pull, if the card is one of the following:
- 2, 3, or 4
- Jack of Diamonds, Queen of Spades, King of Hearts
- An Ace
- A Joker
- Any of the other cards and I just want to be a dick and keep you on your toes

Player Posting Format:

- OOC in italics
- Post Header
Player Name in bold
Held Aces: #
Pulled Jokers: #

Our cast:

Opopanax, playing
Tony, THE BUTTERFLY
cuntman.net, playing
Grace, THE PEACEKEEPER
WindwardAway, playing
Casey, THE CYNIC
Shellception, playing
Kay, THE SCION
Hal Insandenza, playing
Frank, THE BLACK SHEEP
Maerlyn, playing
Mac, THE ATHLETE
If you have any questions or need any clarifications, feel free to ask in this thread or in the OOC thread.

Chapter 1: Welcome to Lodestone

It is a magnificent day for a road trip. The morning sky holds a pale sun, and the temperature is expected to be that perfect transitory mid-70s as autumn continues to develop towards the season of pumpkin spice. The reds and yellows glow bright among the trees, and you can see even in this early morning those who do yoga among the green spaces of Boulder are out in force, although wearing more clothes than they did at the start of the semester.

It's a three-hour drive up north, into the mountains, and it is flying by like a dream. You feel the thoughts of the exams that loom in the next few weeks fail to keep up with the car, and soon they are left comfortably behind. The Colorado backdrop is majestic, the air has a pleasant chill, you're all in a good mood… maybe once you've had your coffee...

Questions for you all (feel free to answer some or all):

- Who's driving? What kind of driver are you normally?

- Tell us about your morning. Did any of you meet up with each other first?

- Do you like car trips? Who's in charge of the music? Do you like their choices?

- Who are you closest to in the group? Who are you least close with?

- What are some things you brought with you?

Questions for individuals:
Mac
Do you know anyone besides your grandparents who still lives in Lodestone and who you remain close with?

Casey
As the mountains envelop you, does the prospect of being out-of-doors with your friends bring up anything from your fated trip with your friend?

Tony and Kay
Did you bring anything... illicit with you? Pot? Or something stronger?

Grace
The group asked you if they could use your car for the trip, despite everyone barely able to fit and at least two of the others having bigger vehicles. Did you say yes? How do you feel about driving/not driving on the trip? (feel free to flex this based on player responses)

Frank
As you read about Lodestone, you noticed a series of disappearances of travelers associated with the area around the town. What do you make of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tony

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Tony and Kay
Did you bring anything... illicit with you? Pot? Or something stronger?

The answer to all of these is that I am already high af and definitely not driving

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 27, 2022

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Frank

Not me, that's for sure. I am in the farthest back seat I can be in and definitely by a window. We'd get there quicker if I was driving though.

I ate about 6 slices of bacon and then waited to get picked up. Then I remembered that we were all meeting at the parking lot behind the student center where the football player got in trouble for doing that thing. So I was a little late...

- Do you like car trips? Who's in charge of the music? Do you like their choices?

I do like car trips! As long as I am sitting in the back by a window. I usually vaguely listen to whatever conversation is in the general vicinity and chime in when someone misspeaks, but otherwise I will see what's going on outside the window. That also means I have about the least input possible on the music and also I usually have a speaker right by one ear and if some jerk didn't know how the fader worked well you know that really isn't all that cool for fucks sake

Pretty much everything the Boy Scouts told me to bring on this sort of trip, as well as a lot of apricot fruit rolls.

- As you read about Lodestone, you noticed a series of disappearances of travelers associated with the area around the town. What do you make of it?

Well in a town with multiple overgrown mineshafts, roaring rapids, and townsfolk who value privacy and aren't keen on outsiders... there are a lot of ways to go missing... or maybe some people who came through just decided they needed to stay...

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Mac
Held Aces: 0
Pulled Jokers: 0

I am most definitely driving, seeing as how we're going to my grandparent's cabin I feel comfortable "volunteering" (okay I might insist). I'm a good driver, haven't heard any complaints. My travel cup of coffee is ready, for music everyone knows the driver chooses the tunes! I can share control but no podcasts because they just put me to sleep. I think my taste is eclectic enough that everyone would be satisfied I think...we can rock out, rap is great, I love me some Gaga and Dua Lipa but I don't think anyone wants to hear me sing.

I feel like I brought mostly the essentials - all my hiking supplies, first aid kit and plenty of bug spray and sunscreen. The cabin should be pretty well stocked too and there's a rental place in Lodestone city center where I'll pick up a canoe for the next few days. I also brought a small amount of my meds just in case, some sleeping pills if I need help falling asleep and a couple Adderall for the drive home. I didn't take anything for the drive up, the coffee will work and I'm just excited to get back up to the cabin and to see how things have changed in Lodestone overall...I haven't been in a couple years since Mr. Alonzo retired, Pops says someone new has taken over the convenience store. Everyone that I knew in Lodestone that was my age has pretty much moved away as far as I know; I didn't really keep in touch with the people there very well.

My morning consisted of eating an egg white and veggie omelette, getting the coffee started and texting everyone to make sure they were ready to go. We agreed to meet at the parking lot behind the student center, but Frank was late...as usual.

I want my card pulls from the white and black deck please! - Edit: VV Alrighty :)

Maerlyn fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 27, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Maerlyn posted:

I want my card pulls from the white and black deck please!

You can pick per pull, you don't have to select a deck now :)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Grace

I was really hoping we wouldn’t take my car, and even more that I wouldn’t have to drive. I’m a decent driver. I don’t mind driving by myself, but driving for a group is a bit stressful. Heck, just being in a car with a group is stressful sometimes. So I really appreciate the save from Mac. Since she’s driving, we’ll be taking her car, right? Right.

I’m in one of the middle seats. That’s where I usually end up by default, come to think of it. My pack is by my feet. I don’t know much about the outdoors, so I just brought some extra clothes, my hygiene supplies, and some books. I’m reading one of them now, a horror novel.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Kay
Held Aces: 0
Pulled Jokers: 0

If it was up to me, I'd be driving! But sporty-girl there said something about it being her car and her stuff and I just wasn't gonna argue. Besides, I was the last person in, living in a country house has those little problems, and it wasn't polite to just pull her outta the car, y'know. So, not me, but I certainly would get us there faster and safer. Lady drives like she's 80. Please, I just saw a cow pass us by!

Woke up, had breakfast - still getting used to not have people do that for me, but I'm adapting wonderfully, if I can say so. Besides, what kind of person complains about (slightly) burned bread? Not me for sure. Builds character. Anyway, picked up my stuff, waited outside for them, they were late as gently caress and I had to hear them grumble about "too much stuff" while loading the car up - hey, not my fault I have so many things I can take!

Car trips are alright, when they don't take forever. Speed up already, lady!
I don't even know about what music is in. I stuck my AirPods in at the start and have been listening to my own since then.

I already can't stand that Tony dude. He's done nothing but be high as gently caress and ramble about nonsense stuff. Alllllllll the day. Like he always does. Nobody cares man, shut up a bit!
I like Casey. He's a no-nonsense guy, one of the few persons with two neurons put together in this pack.

A GPS, an analogic compass, a swiss army knife (the real deal!), all my electronics stuff, beer, some good liqueur for the nights. I am counting on them to bring the food and the stove. No reason, mine is just broken, y'know, and Amazon is just sooooooo slow out in the countryside!

- Did you bring anything... illicit with you? Pot? Or something stronger?

Nah. My supplier was out of town. Pot's for hippies, bums and potheads, I ain't none of those things. And I did coke like... twice, and the second time, firemen had to get me down from the church tower. But it's mostly the supplier issue, y'know.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Casey
Held aces: 0
Pulled jokers: 0

As the mountains envelop you, does the prospect of being out-of-doors with your friends bring up anything from your fated trip with your friend?

Yes, absolutely. But I'm masking it. I don't think I've ever told that story to anyone here, and I don't need to burden them with it. I've brought plenty of booze with me, so if I start feeling skeeved out about it, I'm just gonna make myself forget temporarily. Need to relax and loosen up a bit, you know?

Mac is driving. She's pretty decent, speeds a little over the limit occasionally but not enough to get caught. She's not reckless and she hasn't shown any massive road rage yet, so I have nothing to complain about.
Personally, I like to drive exactly at the speed limit, and my passengers always complain that I'm going too slow. What can I say, I follow the law.

I'm not really a morning person. I woke up with exactly enough time to eat breakfast and be ready to leave five minutes before the agreed time.

Car trips are all right, I guess. I like travelling, but the longer you're stuck in a car with too many people, the more they wear on your nerves.
I suggested listening to synthwave but I'm not sure if anyone actually liked my suggestion, so I put on my headphones instead. And I'm not gonna argue with Mac over music; it's her car, her rules.

Kay is the most reasonable of the group. He's got his head on straight, which I appreciate. Some of the others are a little... out there. Frank's definitely an oddball, but he's not so bad—at least in small amounts. Not sure how spending an entire vacation with him will be.

Alcohol. And lots of it.
Also: swimming trunks, a camera, a book with a map of constellations to identify, a first-aid kit, a mirror, a hunting knife, a lighter, a pack of cigarettes, and binoculars. I'm well prepared. And I swear, the binoculars aren't for creepy purposes.

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 27, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Yes, what a hodgepodge group you are indeed. On the whole, you manage to mostly avoid wanting to kill one another, whether it's through an escape like music, or a book, or drugs, or just killing time instead with pleasant conversation.

The traffic is light and soon you find the car weaving through the mountain passes. Mac's car (SUV or inheirited station wagon, Mac?) does relatively well with the inclines, although the engine does struggle with the steepest grades as most do.

Lodestone itself is buried in a small valley amongst these mountains. The road into the town begins at the top of a steep grade; you pause for a moment at the top, catching what is truly a majestic view of the valley below. You see a lively river to the north, away from the town.

Mac and Frank, you know this to be Sarah Spring, the water source previous used for the mining operations in the 19th century.

Mac, your grandparents' cabin is nestled against this river and to the east of the town, about two miles into the woods.

The town is not large, but it runs across most of the valley and abuts Portshead Seam, the old mine carved into the mountain itself. It is otherwise surrounded by dense forest, although you can spot some roads cut throughout and some modern-looking housing here and there.

Mac: you start the descent, quickly picking up speed. It's been a while, and you can't quite remember if the limit is 35 or 45 before you hit town proper. On the right side of the road, coming up, you spot the rear end-end of a police cruiser sticking out from behind a boulder. What do you do? Check up or keep rolling?

feel free to rp any chit chat from the car ride prior to the next beat. Also, just out of curiosity, where are all of you in the car?

1 2
3 4
5 6

Mac is driving at 1.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 27, 2022

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I'm at 5. The only way to stop this guy from just backseat driving allllllll the drat time is to force him into one of the back seats.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
and I believe from Frank's post he is at 6, correct Frank?

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

I am probably at 3 or 4

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm at 4, drumming along on the seat in front and trying to start a singalong to "You Got What I Need"

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Oh wait, Grace is in the middle so she's probably at 3. In that case I guess Casey is at 2 just zoning out in the front lol. Can't believe nobody wanted to ride shotgun.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I mean, I wanted to, but I took what was left to me. We'd have been there way faster if you'd let me co-pilot, but noooo...

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Shellception posted:

I mean, I wanted to, but I took what was left to me. We'd have been there way faster if you'd let me co-pilot, but noooo...

Lol, I can just see Kay shouting directions at Mac from all the way in the back, while everyone else is ignoring him cause they have headphones on 😂

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

"How much longer until we arrive?" Casey asks, if only because nobody else has asked the ritual 'are we there yet' question yet.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

WindwardAway posted:

"How much longer until we arrive?" Casey asks, if only because nobody else has asked the ritual 'are we there yet' question yet.

I realize I have no idea how to format this lol, are we writing in first or third person for RPing purposes? Kinda derped 😅 but for the record I'm fine with anything, I'll just go along with whatever the rest of you are doing.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Frank is in the rear right seat, spending a lot of the trip muttering to no one in particular about how much objectively better the left rear seat is and that Kay doesn’t really seem to appreciate that

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

WindwardAway posted:

I realize I have no idea how to format this lol, are we writing in first or third person for RPing purposes? Kinda derped 😅 but for the record I'm fine with anything, I'll just go along with whatever the rest of you are doing.

no preference on my end, really up to the player.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Kay

Oh? Oh, hi Dad. Yeah, we're almost there, I think? Yeah. No. What? What are you... Oh, yes, tell mom I have my toothbrush, dammit. What am I, five? Yeah. How's that big business of yours... for gently caress's sake, dad, crypto yet again??. We have gone through this, we have! Yeah! Well it's MY money too, so please don't be a dumba... beep

Shellception fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 27, 2022

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Here's where we reveal that Maerlyn doesn't actually drive, lol

Mac

I say to Casey, "we should be there pretty soon, but I see a cop hiding behind that boulder and I don't know the speed limit..." I grimace and ease on the brakes trying to gradually slow myself down a bit, hoping the speedometer will fall just enough to let us pass by without issue. Hopefully the cop is too busy reading the paper or taking a nap but I don't have too much to be concerned about, I hope. I glance at Tony in the rearview mirror and say, "thankfully weed is legal in Colorado right? How high are you right now?"

Mac drives an SUV, she gets poo poo for already having a mom car at her age but it's handy for hauling teammates to practice and meets, and holds a lot of camping supplies when the urge strikes.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

"Too high already," Casey mutters, rolling down the window slightly to air out some of the smoke. He doesn't mind letting Tony do his thing, except that the car has smelled for three hours and it's wearing on Casey's nerves a bit.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Mac, you do that thing all of us drivers have done, which is immediately and abruptly slow down when we see a cop. It's always a crapshoot as to whether you get busted, but seeing as you're the only car on the road if you're wrong about the limit you might be in trouble.

I'm going to need a pull. Pick your deck. I will wait for those we havent heard from yet prior to making the pull.

Also fyi, i have not doctored these decks. Six jokers went in with a 7-shuffle mix. Your fate is mostly random now.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mac

I just keep repeating "it's cool, it's cool" as my heart starts pounding, which doesn't feel unfamiliar... why didn't I look for a loving speed limit sign. I try to make sure I have my best nonchalant face on as we drive by in case the cop is looking at us in his mirror.

Green deck, changed my mind.
no whammies...

Foreshadowing - I did listen to "Sound of Da Police" by KRS-One yesterday, lol

Maerlyn fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 27, 2022

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

Casey rolls the window back up as they pass the police vehicle, not like that's going to make a difference. "Calm down, we're in the middle of nowhere," he assures Mac. "Not like they're going to care if we were going a little too fast if there's no one else on the road, unless they're bored and have nothing better to do than ticket us."

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Grace hides her face behind her book. It’s an odd look as a picture of a grinning demonic face takes up the entirety of the cover.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Frank is perturbed, slowing down is obviously the wrong thing to do.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tony

Tony nervously adjust himself and presses his legs more tightly over his bag

Just be cool, Mac Daddy, you got this.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Kay

"Oh gently caress, what now?? Are we about to be stopped in the middle of nowhere in a car smelling like a Woodstock tent??? Awesome! Wait until the uni gets wind of it. We're hosed! Told you I should have been driving!" are the thoughts swarming Kay's head.

Out loud, he says, in a voice sounding not unlike like a skater on thin ice "Just tell'em how much it is. And for god's sake, stop speeding!"

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mac

"You were saying I was going too slow!" I snap at Kay.

To Casey: "Maybe I'll be lucky and if he stops us he'll know my grandparents or something. Everyone knows everyone in these small towns right?"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

Mac

"You were saying I was going too slow!" I snap at Kay.

Kay

"You're nuts, lady, I haven't even opened my mouth all the way. Not like you can hear anything from there anyway, between that music and Tony making a ruckus about clouds and sheeps"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
https://i.imgur.com/PFgEXKl.jpg

the three of clubs

Mac: you overcompensate, shifting your foot to the brake and applying just a *bit* too hard. The car drops a noticeable 10mph.

You think for a moment you've avoided an unpleasant interaction with the locals, but then the flash of lights and a short screech of siren sends a sting of adrenaline through your body. The cop is behind you.

You look in the rear view and all you can catch is a low slung hat brim, a pair of sunglasses, and a cigarette.

Mac, followup? Pulling over, I assume?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Hal Insandenza posted:

Frank is perturbed, slowing down is obviously the wrong thing to do.

I keep forgetting there is someone sitting besides me. Weird.

Also fun little IRL fact, I drive very little too and absolutely cannot write driving stuff so I'm really glad Casey didn't let my loudmouth rear end drive :cheeky:

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

"loving hell..."

I pull off to the shoulder and put the car in park, rolling down my window as I do so.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

"I sure hope they're friendly with your folks," Casey said, craning his neck to get a good look at the cop. "Just keep your cool, say we're from out of town, and visiting your grandparents," he recommended.
Thank god weed was legal here, or they'd be in for real trouble.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Grace

"Yeah, let's stay calm here," Grace says, peeking over the top of her book. "It'll look better if we're all calm, right?"

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Frank

“Told ya”

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tony

Ah gently caress gently caress fuckity gently caress. Ok. Ok ok.

Tony crams his bag as far under the seat as he can with his feet and runs his fingers through his hair a few times, preparing for showtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Mac: You pull over, rolling your window down, running through all the stupid poo poo your dad told you about how to suck up to cops. The cop unfolds himself from the cruiser, and when you see his face, a memory, a fear, arises from somewhere deep in your gut.

The man walking towards your car, sucking down an unfiltered cigarette, stands at 6'6". He weighs 280 and is made of corded muscle. His name is Jacob Kilgore, and he is more monster than man.

You all see from here that the left side of his face is a puckered pink mat of flesh, and Mac, you don't need him to take off the glasses to know that his left eye is missing and the pink mess looks as though something took a bite out of his face.

There were stories about that injury, mountain lion, maybe, or a bear. You heard the rumors of older kids, and both the rumors and the man himself scared the poo poo out of you. He's older now, gray streaking his beard, but you remember him towering over you as a little girl, sneering down at you. You realize no amount of brown nosing will fix this.

I need a pull from everyone, two pulls from Tony. Pick your decks