Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I have already set up a thread giving a quick explanation of the game here: [D&D:5E] The Rat Pack

Looking for 4~6 players who want to play a short traditional dungeon crawl in 5E play-by-post with level 1 characters.
You can be somewhat goofy with your characters if you like. Though it's going to be all RAW from my end.

I may also accept some posters who want to be NPCs if you really, really want to play but there's no space.

Post here to sign up!

Players:
1) fps_nug
2) Mykkel
3) Samuel L. Hacksaw
4) lemonadesweetheart

NPCs:
1) cuntman.net

Recruitment closed! (Unless you also want to be an NPC)

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Can I join even if I've never played before? I've listened to many d&d podcasts

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

fps_nug posted:

Can I join even if I've never played before? I've listened to many d&d podcasts

Yes! This is a level 1 adventure, and it's pretty short. I made it with newer players in mind!
Disclaimer: While I've run this adventure a few times before, I have never done play-by-post before, so I'm also a bit new in some sense, haha.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Alright I'm in!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fps_nug posted:

Alright I'm in!

🥳 Welcome aboard!
Do you have access to a Player's Handbook (PBH)? It's the only one you'll need, unless you want something fancy.
You may or may not want to wait for other players to arrive before designing your character if you care about party synergy (I don't think it'll be that important though).
But if you have ideas or questions now, feel free to post in this thread!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'm in.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I, too, would like to play. Never done a play-by-post before but I've dmed and played a few campaigns in person and on fantasy grounds.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

Shadow0 posted:

🥳 Welcome aboard!
Do you have access to a Player's Handbook (PBH)? It's the only one you'll need, unless you want something fancy.
You may or may not want to wait for other players to arrive before designing your character if you care about party synergy (I don't think it'll be that important though).
But if you have ideas or questions now, feel free to post in this thread!

Found one online, I have designed a character in person for a game that fell through but I'll prob just use a randomizer for a rogue if that's cool, lol

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm thinking multi-tool wizard or bard.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I, too, would like to play. Never done a play-by-post before but I've dmed and played a few campaigns in person and on fantasy grounds.

Welcome!

fps_nug posted:

Found one online, I have designed a character in person for a game that fell through but I'll prob just use a randomizer for a rogue if that's cool, lol

Yep, that's fine by me!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i want to be an npc

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cuntman.net posted:

i want to be an npc

Nice! I'll PM you then!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'd be up for giving this a go. How are you handling character creation? What do you need from us? Are you playing to specific times?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I'd be up for giving this a go. How are you handling character creation? What do you need from us? Are you playing to specific times?

Great!
It's a level 1 character, so I can't imagine you'll be able to make yourself too OP. You can do standard array or point buy or roll for them, just use the RAW. Unless you specifically have something in mind you want to use.
I just need a level 1 character from you.
In in Europe, so I'll mostly be posting during the evening then, and occasionally during the day as well.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I made a character on DnD Beyond https://ddb.ac/characters/86348148/LCTZZG.

I didn't do much of a backstory because I've no clue what kind of setting this is going to be in but I can add more as needed. I can change anything that doesn't suit. I spent 200gp on my inventory instead of taking the regular starter gear. There's nothing insane in there, most of the expense was in buying tools.

If kobold artificer isn't a good fit for the rest of the party I'll make something else.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I made a character on DnD Beyond https://ddb.ac/characters/86348148/LCTZZG.

I didn't do much of a backstory because I've no clue what kind of setting this is going to be in but I can add more as needed. I can change anything that doesn't suit. I spent 200gp on my inventory instead of taking the regular starter gear. There's nothing insane in there, most of the expense was in buying tools.

If kobold artificer isn't a good fit for the rest of the party I'll make something else.

That all looks great!

Don't worry too much about a backstory. It's more or less just a short generic dungeon crawl in a pretty standard/generic D&D city. I usually run this as a one-shot for new players.
If you want to talk with the other players and establish some backstory with them or if your backstory gives you some kind of quirk, like a fear of the dark or something, then go for it. Otherwise, just the character who they are now is important.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ok, I made a Bard!

https://ddb.ac/characters/86401500/N0NnrK

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nice! Looks good. I like that Str score, haha.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Shadow0 posted:

Nice! Looks good. I like that Str score, haha.

The downside of rolled stats, I'll never escape a grapple, lmao.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Oh wow this website is much better than what I initially used.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/86450649

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Depending on what the other character is I might create something more martial if that's okay.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'll make a barbarian/fighter/paladin later today. Something that will stand in front and get hit and hit back.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
*busks for healing potion*

Flute in one hand, potion in the other. Tooting, tooting, tooting towards victory.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 24, 2022

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

went with a half-elf fighter.

https://ddb.ac/characters/86470165/cT91dC

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fps_nug posted:

Oh wow this website is much better than what I initially used.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/86450649

Looks good!

Depending on what the other character is I might create something more martial if that's okay.

Alright, I'll wait for you to decide on that, and then I think we're ready to start.

*busks for healing potion*

Flute in one hand, potion in the other. Tooting, tooting, tooting towards victory.

You might able to when the game starts! Or at least the gold to buy one.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Im good to go unless the rest of you guys would prefer a cleric over an artificer?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Im good to go unless the rest of you guys would prefer a cleric over an artificer?

I think that a cleric makes sense if you want to play it, we're light on heals.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'll have something up shortly.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ok heres my cleric: https://ddb.ac/characters/86488271/x98w38

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I have made the first post to kick off the adventure, go ahead and introduce your characters!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'm assuming we all know each other already. Hope that's okay. It's been an age since I played pbp, if there's anything off with my posts just let me know.

Is it okay if we keep this thread for out of game stuff?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm assuming we all know each other already. Hope that's okay. It's been an age since I played pbp, if there's anything off with my posts just let me know.

Is it okay if we keep this thread for out of game stuff?

I have never played a play-by-post, so it's been even longer for me! XD

And yes, I was planning to keep this thread open anyway!

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Oh boy you guys are good at this. I'm gonna try ma best! apologies if my writing doesnt compare lol

Should I be doing my own rolling or will you do that for me? I'm sure there will be times that I dont know what to roll.

fps_nug fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 25, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fps_nug posted:

Oh boy you guys are good at this. I'm gonna try ma best! apologies if my writing doesnt compare lol

Should I be doing my own rolling or will you do that for me? I'm sure there will be times that I dont know what to roll.

Haha, don't worry. I'm also usually really bad at being descriptive.

I play D&D every other week with a guy who sometimes goes the whole 4-hour session without saying a word, so don't worry too much, haha.

You can roll for yourself for any action your character takes. If you're not rolling for damage or something really special, it's going to be a d20. I'll let you know if you need to roll with advantage or disadvantage if that ever comes up.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

fps_nug just in case you're not aware, DND beyond lets you roll dice from your character sheet. Not sure about how you'd verify that in the thread but you can just click on skills, initiative, weapon attacks/damage for you. There's also a dice roller for when you want to just roll different combinations of dice.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fps_nug just in case you're not aware, DND beyond lets you roll dice from your character sheet. Not sure about how you'd verify that in the thread but you can just click on skills, initiative, weapon attacks/damage for you. There's also a dice roller for when you want to just roll different combinations of dice.

Yeah, the auto-rolling stuff is really useful. You can also roll real dice if you have them for that clickity-clackity experience that defines the game. I have dice with little chickens and ducks in them. :3

I'm not too worried about verifying dice rolls. It's fine. I think I can trust everyone not to cheat. (too much :P)

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
Let me know if I commit any faux pas or anything. I'd love to learn, and I really feel kinda dumb when it comes to choosing what to roll for and what the etiquette is for play by post

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

fps_nug posted:

Let me know if I commit any faux pas or anything. I'd love to learn, and I really feel kinda dumb when it comes to choosing what to roll for and what the etiquette is for play by post

In general, just say what you're trying to do and ask what to roll. That's the easiest way to learn that I've found.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

In general, just say what you're trying to do and ask what to roll. That's the easiest way to learn that I've found.

Sounds good, I'll do that from this point forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fps_nug posted:

Don't worry, it's all good. For those basic tasks like looking around or opening doors or whatever where failure is basically impossible, you don't need to roll anything. For like searching a room or trying to discern is someone is lying to you or making difficult jumps across raging rivers or whatever, then you need to roll.