Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lots of grocery stores have a deli section with hot food, like fried chicken, jo-jos (or potato wedges if you're boring), chicken tenders... safeway's got chinese food in there, some places even do up such as mashed potatoes

there's a chain of grocery stores in the western US called Winco. i've always liked getting fried chicken and jo-jos there. breading's usually good, the pieces are v. meaty and tasty. great value, great taste. had some for the first time in a good while yesterday and it was a real treat.

what are some of your grocery deli favorites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

we don't have them where I live now but Publix subs are pretty great, I miss that seeded bread

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Wtf my safeway don't got chinese food.

Does the sushi count? I mean it's made by a person whose only job at the deli is to make sushi, but it's definitely not a classic.

I got a local small chain nearby that does real good sandiwches and paninis. The other small local chain has dope german potato salad.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

entire rotissserie chicken for $6 that's been under a heatlamp all afternoon

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Market Basket baby. Footlong Italian sub for $5, best deal in town. Good tendies and calzones too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

grocery store deli tendies have this breading that's both soft and hard at the same time, i hate it

----------------

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fartington Butts posted:

Does the sushi count? I mean it's made by a person whose only job at the deli is to make sushi, but it's definitely not a classic.

if it comes out of the grocery store deli then it's on-topic here, friend

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

5 dollar Fridays at Safeway are the best. Usually have either 8 piece dark meat fried chicken for 5 bucks or chicken tendies for 5 bucks a pound. Also that Ham Off The Bone for 5 bucks a pound too if you wanna just make yourself a big rear end sandwich

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The whole rotisserie chicken or 8 pieces fried for like 5 or 6 bucks is often cheaper than you could buy the chicken uncooked for, makes you wonder. I swear I remember a comedy skit about that, can't remember what it's from though.

Sprouts, the market chain, makes pretty good deli sandwiches to order too. You grab a little sheet of paper at the counter and mark off check boxes for what you want on it, hand it to them, and they make it and stick your paper to the wrapping on the sandwich so there's no dispute on what you get. It's a pretty neat system.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I wish I lived next to a sprouts again. sushi wednesdays were fantastic

----------------

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
That sucks, Sprouts kicks rear end. $5 sushi wednesdays are freakin' sick. Not deli related but Sprouts also makes the best oyster crackers on the market.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they made something knockoff that was just amazing, maybe a cheez-it?

also giant $1 bags of ginger snaps

----------------

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The heck are jo-jo’s?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Publix subs, Publix chicken tenders, Publix fried chicken (8 piece or 20 piece wings), Publix mojo pork. If Publix ever apes Ingle’s and gets Chinese food I’m sure it would be better than 3/4 of the lovely delivery places around here.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
back when i worked at whole foods they would do different regional cuisines rotating on the various hot bars week to week, and the best weeks were when one side was italian and the other side was indian because you could take all the cooked noodles meant for the various alfredos and meatballs and whatnot, and let me tell you brother, there was nothing stopping you from loading them up with the curries instead

not that's fusion you can use-ion

also the first store i worked at would take leftover deli ham scraps and leftover pizza dough from the pizza station and turn them into the most loving incredible dough-ball ham and cheese kolaches the next morning and i miss loading those bad boys up with cholula so much

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nikumatic posted:

also the first store i worked at would take leftover deli ham scraps and leftover pizza dough from the pizza station and turn them into the most loving incredible dough-ball ham and cheese kolaches the next morning and i miss loading those bad boys up with cholula so much

oh poo poo

----------------

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Torquemada posted:

The heck are jo-jo’s?

it's a regional name for fried potato wedges

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

the best fried chicken is always from the last remaining grocery store in a small southern town that doesn't have a walmart within 20 miles

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

publix fried chicken is pretty good too and their macaroni and cheese is loving delicious

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Wegmans had some like "Asian" shrimp in a white sauce. Wish I remembered what it was because it was fantastic.

But those hot bars get expensive QUICK

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

pro starcraft loser posted:

Wegmans had some like "Asian" shrimp in a white sauce. Wish I remembered what it was because it was fantastic.

But those hot bars get expensive QUICK

Ya lol I tried getting lunch at the hot bar there last week because sushi felt too spendy. I hosed up.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Ya lol I tried getting lunch at the hot bar there last week because sushi felt too spendy. I hosed up.

I've made this mistake so many times in different ways. Last week I decided to save money and not spend $12 on Jersey Mikes. The wings at the hot bar at safeway looked weak so I spent about $15 on sushi, a drink, and some chips.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

some of my best memories involve winco pretzel bread sandwiches

not because of the sandwiches just because they're good and cheap and portable and available at 3 am

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Publix subs fed me for two years straight basically, ruined every other sandwich around

I moved back to New York and even Wegmans is trash by comparison

One of my weekly deliverys at work uses Publix circulars to wrap their dry ice in, and every Thursday it's just a dagger to the midsection

Hannaford has some okay chicken and a nice bakery though, but I miss Publix very much

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

postmodifier posted:

One of my weekly deliverys at work uses Publix circulars to wrap their dry ice in, and every Thursday it's just a dagger to the midsection

please don't eat dry ice

----------------

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
two words for new england goons: market. basket.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

barnold posted:

----------------

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

----------------

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

lol Food Mommy

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

barnold posted:

I would say Alexander’s, but they got bought out by Shop N Save and they eventually became Hannaford. And Purity Supreme went out of business decades ago. So I guess it’d be broasted chicken from the White Hen.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
boars head or bust

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Szyznyk posted:

I would say Alexander’s, but they got bought out by Shop N Save and they eventually became Hannaford. And Purity Supreme went out of business decades ago. So I guess it’d be broasted chicken from the White Hen.

jesus christ what is this, 2001? have you been to any stores that have actually existed in the last 10 years?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

barnold posted:

jesus christ what is this, 2001? have you been to any stores that have actually existed in the last 10 years?

Left in 1992, so no. Just vague memories of Demoulas smelling like rotten cabbage.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

lol drama in the clubhouse

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Every summer during college I worked in a deli of a Stop N Shop. The thing I hated doing the most (besides when I needed to cover seafood) was putting the rotisserie chickens on the spit and putting the little metal pegs on to make sure they didn't slide off. Just an overall gross job.

Making sandwiches was a fun gig but I never, never got wrapping nice and tight like it was supposed to. The full time people could always do it so much better than me.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Torquemada posted:

The heck are jo-jo’s?

that's what it's called when you charge up your crystal with a bro

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I likea eata deli mac and cheese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
been a while since i got Brookshires fried fish. need to do that.

----------------

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'll pick up on the manager special half sandwhich on my way home from work sometimes.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I'm eating safeway chicken tendies rn, 5 dollars a pound and fresh outta the fryer