Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Hey car people,

I don't post here often but I could use some experienced advice. My dad died a couple years ago now from Covid and left me a couple cars, one of which I'm looking to sell but not totally sure the best way to do it, that's where I'm hoping you folks can help. Also figured you guys would get a kick out of it.

You'll probably hate me for it but here's the car I'm looking to get rid of, a 1971 DeTomaso Pantera.

My dad was the original owner and he put a lot of work and extras into the car, which I have pretty good records of. Its one of the first 75 Panteras brought to the states which you can tell by the push button door handles. I've got a full set of the original Campagnolo wheels to go along with it too. Unfortunately as he got older the maintenance of the car went downhill, among other things, and it hasn't run in a few years. Which is probably a good thing as he wasn't a very good driver near the end anyways.

Anyways, the car is currently stored in a garage in Los Angeles and I'm way up in Oregon so its not real easy access for me at the moment. I've never driven it, cause to be honest I think my dad scared me when he'd drive it (in a good way). It would be an awesome project car but just doesn't make much sense in Oregon and its been pretty finicky the whole time I've known it. It feels really strange to think about selling it but it just really doesn't make sense for me to keep.

I'm wondering what AI thinks would be the best course of action to sell this sort of car. Obviously very desirable, but hasn't run in a while and will need a fair amount of work for a prospective buyer to get to where they want it. I've only ever sold beaters for a few grand... I'm kinda leaning towards using a consignment place, but are there places that will take a car that needs this kind of work? My first instinct was to use Hemmings or Bring a Trailer or something to avoid consignment fees, but I just don't really have the time to deal with looky-loos or traveling back and forth too much. And frankly I'm not really sure how to take payment for a car like this.

Thanks for taking a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
oh poo poo.that car owns, holy hell. i see you, nitrous bottle.

sorry about your dad, im sure he would be thrilled that you're finding someone who would fix it up.

my uneducated guess would be to take a bunch of detailed pictures and send it off to bring a trailer, but it sounds like you don't really want to deal with it.

we do have a buy/sell thread here, which would be a lot less formal, but you would probably make more money with BaT

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Lucky for you a 72 in "project car" status sold just earlier this year. Take a read.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-detomaso-pantera-77/

Another option is the Beverly Hills Car Collection - who are always buying/selling classic project cars.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Damnit. I am paying my house off on Friday and building a deck this Spring. I'd love the poo poo out of this car, but I'd only be in for way less than it's worth.

Bring a Trailer trends, mixed with history and the condition that is clearly obvious with a block that clean... I'd bet you're solidly in the 50k range, as-is.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 28, 2022

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This definitely seems like something that could be a big draw at auction or BaT for the right buyer.

My first thought was it's exactly the kind of thing Larry from Ammo detailing does for his YouTube channel (barn find cleanup for sale), but he's over the other side of the country. May still be worth asking, as he's been in California before and has contacts there.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

TheSmokingTire/Matt Farahs business (west side collector car storage) would do a good job of helping you prep and take pics of this for an auction site without ripping you off or otherwise loving you over. Its in LA so much closer than you (and me!) in Oregon. Hed be able to pick it up with a tow truck and do all the stuff up to and including dealing with your choice of auction site. Definitely not a plug but from what I can tell Id be happy to trust him with this. I got the sense that his pricing allows him to pay his staff well and make a decent profit but isnt unreasonable.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

my uneducated guess would be to take a bunch of detailed pictures and send it off to bring a trailer, but it sounds like you don't really want to deal with it.

This is second hand knowledge, BaT will connect you with a professional photographer and does a writeup as well. They're drat good at it, better than most of us would be. They know what to write and what not to write.

I think ideally, for the windfall you're about to get, here's what I'd do.

Fly down, clean it, detail it. Address anything that needs to be fixed immediately but nothing further. If the tires are dry rotted, put new ones on, fresh battery, Change the engine oil. Then, drive it around on a nice trip for a half day. Go somewhere with meaning for you and your father if you want.

Then call up the pros, and follow their recommendations for a fast sell at a good price. I am assuming it'll go for far more than you would have put in, to the best audience, and at a good time to sell it. It might not be this winter, it could be in the spring, summer.

Ideally you're left with a good memory, a load of cash, and you can have a really nice pic of the car to remember it and your dad by.

Edit: I just read RIP Paul Walkers post and that service sounds great as well. The main thing I would want is one last ride.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

One of us, One Of Us, ONE OF US!

As everyone else has said, your best bet is BaT, Farrah, or someone similar. That car is easily 50k as is unless there's some major issue we can't see. Condolences about your dad, it sucks losing parents. Especially one as cool as it seems your dad was. Any records you can find will be worthwhile to keep and pass on.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

TheSmokingTire/Matt Farahs business (west side collector car storage) would do a good job of helping you prep and take pics of this for an auction site without ripping you off or otherwise loving you over. Its in LA so much closer than you (and me!) in Oregon. Hed be able to pick it up with a tow truck and do all the stuff up to and including dealing with your choice of auction site. Definitely not a plug but from what I can tell Id be happy to trust him with this. I got the sense that his pricing allows him to pay his staff well and make a decent profit but isnt unreasonable.

That's a really good idea really given where the car is and everything else. WCCS has detailers on staff and know all the good shops/mechanics in the area as well as offering listing services (BaT or wherever) for a flat rate. It might be worth contacting them to see what their fees are and to see if they have space or availability right now.

I've sent a message to an old neighbor that was rebuilding one of these when I lived a few houses down a decade ago.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 29, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Doug DeMuro would certainly Doug DeMuro all over that car, so you could try his business Cars And Bids, but I am not sure at all if it would bring appropriate value at auction on that website. Goondolences on the loss of your dad.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I was about to suggest the exact same thing - https://wccs.com/contact-us

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Thanks for the great advice, I'll check some of those places out. I guess I should try to decipher these old invoices so they know what's been done to the beast.

I also inherited his 1937 buick century that I partially learned to drive stick on, so I won't be without a car to remember him by when I sell the pantera. Just need to get a house with a dang garage. Here's a bad pic of that one...

Funny story, that was his first car when he was 19. Ran it until the ground and got rid of it then years later decided he wanted one again. Bought one sight unseen in rough shape in CO, drove it home through a blizzard. Then he discovered some lovely angle iron underneath that he sloppily welded on to tow his Harley with... he had rebought his exact first car. So then he maybe went overboard with the restoration. It was his baby for sure.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
That's the fuckin poo poo!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Thanks for the great advice, I'll check some of those places out. I guess I should try to decipher these old invoices so they know what's been done to the beast.

I also inherited his 1937 buick century that I partially learned to drive stick on, so I won't be without a car to remember him by when I sell the pantera. Just need to get a house with a dang garage. Here's a bad pic of that one...

Funny story, that was his first car when he was 19. Ran it until the ground and got rid of it then years later decided he wanted one again. Bought one sight unseen in rough shape in CO, drove it home through a blizzard. Then he discovered some lovely angle iron underneath that he sloppily welded on to tow his Harley with... he had rebought his exact first car. So then he maybe went overboard with the restoration. It was his baby for sure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo that Pantera is amazing, I'd keep that and sell the Buick!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
LobsterboyX to the thread, paging LobsterboyX.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

LobsterboyX to the thread, paging LobsterboyX.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
BAT would be ideal for this, but lately commenters and bidders have really turned against the hands off no reply sellers.

I recently sold my 25th vehicle on BAT and would be more than happy to offer any tips or advice.

A few days of effort getting this prepared the right way for pictures and the sale would reap a whole lot of rewards

Mr Fish
Nov 16, 2016
That buick is amazing, made better by the very cool story. Course I am biased as a fellow ancient car haver, not quite that ancient though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sexy tiger boobs posted:

This is amazing.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Well, this is interesting.

I knew your dad, and I've been to his house and seen that car. I also know about the 53 skylark. Interesting world we live in. The last time I saw him was a Buick club dinner. One of the cars that was stored in his back yard was offered to me.

I was summoned because of the Buick and as I was reading it, I felt like I had heard this story before, then I looked closely at that license plate and it all made sense.

DM me if you want, one of your dads friends is more than qualified to help you with that Pantera and is 100% the right person to handle it - his initials are SB if your wondering who I'm talking about - the advice given by others here is pretty sound, but if you're looking to avoid a more public sale of that car, and maybe even get it in to the hands of someone who knew your dad, I'd start there.

Also even more funny, your dad and my father-in-law knew each other back when because of this Pantera, my FIL owned a number of them and was very active in the community.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy shitsnacks, this thread just took one hell of a turn. :f5:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 2, 2023

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
OP, LobsterboyX's offer of help is one you should probably take up.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

InitialDave posted:

OP, LobsterboyX's offer of help is one you should probably take up.

Just empty quoting this for truthiness.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

builds character posted:

Just empty quoting this for truthiness.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Small world!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

LobsterboyX posted:

his initials are SB if your wondering who I'm talking about

Something Awful Forms user Sexy Tiger Boobs turning to another SB for help selling a car named after a different large cat. How the turn tables...

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Haha, what the hell? Never thought that my 78 year old dad would know somebody else from the forums. Yeah, I'll be messaging LobsterboyX for sure.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn if this isn't solid gold.

Beautiful car, heartwarming story, small world. :3:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I love this dumb weird forum.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Few funny facts:

Me and the OP's dad were often the only ones to drive our cars to these funny old man functions we used to go to. He would often joke with my wife and I about our age, I was by far the youngest member of the buick club at the time.

People would come over to my house and see my collection of junk and say, "you know that guy (OP's Dad) - man he's got a lot of stuff just like this" - one of the last times I saw him, he told me that a lot of people had said the same thing to him, about me - as in "you know that guy (lobsterboyx), yeah that kid in the valley has a lot of crap like yours". Sadly he never got to see my stuff, and I only saw his place after his passing.

Op's dad would also sit back and crack jokes about the age of most of the people who liked the same cars we did.

this is a dumb weird forum, but its power is pretty incredible - never in a million years would I have guessed I'd see THAT car HERE.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Synchronicity is A Thing.

Love it

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

LobsterboyX posted:

Few funny facts:

Me and the OP's dad were often the only ones to drive our cars to these funny old man functions we used to go to. He would often joke with my wife and I about our age, I was by far the youngest member of the buick club at the time.

People would come over to my house and see my collection of junk and say, "you know that guy (OP's Dad) - man he's got a lot of stuff just like this" - one of the last times I saw him, he told me that a lot of people had said the same thing to him, about me - as in "you know that guy (lobsterboyx), yeah that kid in the valley has a lot of crap like yours". Sadly he never got to see my stuff, and I only saw his place after his passing.

Op's dad would also sit back and crack jokes about the age of most of the people who liked the same cars we did.

this is a dumb weird forum, but its power is pretty incredible - never in a million years would I have guessed I'd see THAT car HERE.

Amazing, voted this thread and, in a way, OP's dad as a 5.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Elmnt80 posted:

LobsterboyX posted:

Few funny facts: ...
:3:

What a great way to start the year

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:five:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Voted five, sticking around for this crazy story

jink
May 8, 2002