Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Active Rule

Active Goal
None.

Welcome! This is a small Mafia game for just 9 11 players (8 town, 2 mafia, 1 survivor), with some mechanics thrown on top of traditional Mafia playing. We've based it in the Star variant of the Fluxx card game - a fast paced game where rules and victory conditions change all the time at the whim of the players, and where screwing over everyone else IS part of the fun.

Modteam for this one is me, Maerlyn, wologar (thanks for the card design work!) and Grandicap.

In this game, everyone is vanilla, and will be handed a private initial hand of two cards. Those are one-use, and can be day or night actions, depending on what you got! At the end of every night phase, an additional card is dealt to all living players. There are ways to get more cards, but we will go in depth on those later.

While this is not exactly an open setup in the strictest sense, the full deck of cards is public and listed below. This doesn't mean all of those will get played or handled, depending on game length, and what the players themselves decide to do. If we run out of cards, the discard pile will be reshuffled and used to keep the game going!

Wait. Victory condition changes? Is there bastard moddery afoot?

No. While it could be fun to win based on what was played at every time, this is still first of all a Mafia game. Fulfilling Goals will give you permanent advantages, but you still win or lose depending on your original win condition.

To play a public day card, players must use ##play rule / ##play goal / ##play surprise and directly quote the text on the card (or link the image), which becomes active from that point onwards. Actions with no card attached will not count as anything. Modifying the text in any way will count as falsifying a day action, and will be acted upon as such.

Night cards are played in each player's confessional, and we don't need the full quote - just let us know clearly what you are doing, and it'll be enough.

Cards that are discarded, either upon being used (Actions, Keepers, or Surprises), countered (Actions and Goals) or phased out by a phase change (Creepers, and any Goal or Action in play at the end of a day) go into a discard pile. If the deck runs out of cards, the discard pile gets shuffled and replayed.

There are no limits on how many cards a player can play by day, and only one can be played by night, unless the limit gets modified in some way. The factional night kill is exempt from this limit, and does not count towards it.

Goal meeting, penalties, boons, and card drawing are private; the player will receive cards or play them according to the boons they have, but those are not announced to the rest of the players.

All day actions are public and must be announced in thread, with a link to the card or a quote of the text.

- Rules: Contain posting restrictions that players must follow. Only one rule can be active at any time. A random rule will be played at the start of each day. Any player can remove the current rule by playing a new rule of their own or by playing the Lawlessness surprise card.

At EoD, all posters that ignored more rules than they followed will not draw cards the next day. Ties are resolved in favor of the player. For example, if three rules were played, you need to have followed at least two to be able to draw cards; for six, you need three.

Rule cards can only be played until two hours before deadline. Players that do not post after the last rule is played are not affected by it. This way you won't be punished by someone playing a rule near a deadline that you can't be there for.

If a card rule says "Your next post must contain..." there will be a 30 min leniency period before it becomes compulsory. This is to account for people not refreshing the thread before posting. You can still fulfill it before the 30 minutes are up, but you won't get a penalty if you miss it during this time. Reading the thread to the end before posting is encouraged!

- Goals: Optional objectives that, if met, will grant a boon to all players that do meet it. Only one can be active at any time, and they can be countered by playing a different Goals card. You can play goals all the way to deadline, but watch it - goals played after someone is hammered do not count!

Only the goal card active at the end of a given day counts for the boon; goals that are played and discarded have no recompense attached.

Each time you met an EoD Goal, you may choose one of those two boons. They are permanent, and can be chosen more than once. Boons are requested and given privately, so no one knows if you fulfilled a goal, or what did you choose as a boon.
    Play one extra action each night.
    Draw one extra card each day.
- Surprises: Surprises counter other cards. Become active immediately, unless they affect a Rule - for this case, they are subjected to the same "two hours to deadline" restriction.

- Creepers: Creepers autoplay when drawn, and exclusively affect the player that drew them. Player gets a drawback that affects them the following night. Creeper effects are private, and will be told about in the player's confessional.

Night actions are private, and only one per player is allowed to start with (unless this limit is modified in any way). The NK does not count towards the limit!

- Actions: Actions are oneshots of normal mafia roles, and work pretty much the same way those do. If you have any questions about them, ask us!

- Keepers: Keepers cause changes on cards and players’ hands, allow players to make additional movements, or mess with someone else's cards. Keepers will always resolve after actions.

Initial Deck (62)

20 Rules, 14 Goals, 3 Surprises, 12 Actions, 10 Keepers, and 3 Creepers

Rules (20) [R1-R20]

R1 - KARAOKE MASTER
Your next post must contain a music video or song lyrics
R2 - IS THAT A WORD?
Your next two posts must include [word of your choice]
R3 - THE SINCEREST FORM OF FLATTERY
Your next post must be written in the style of [poster of your choice]
R4 - SOUL FOOD
Your next post must include a recipe or a link to a recipe
R5 - POLYGLOT
Your next post must include three to ten words in a different language
R6 - TEARJERKER
Your next post must include a heartfelt apology
R7 - ESSAY WRITER
You must end all your posts with “Furthermore,”
R8 - EVERYONE IS CLEAN
Your posts must not contain the word “scum”
R9 - UNBIASED
Your next post must extoll the virtues of our glorious mods
R10 - RHYMING TRIPLET
Your next three posts must rhyme with each other
R11 - ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
Your next post must be written as an acrostic
R12 - THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Your next post must be written as a conspiracy nutcase
R13 - SEEKER OF KNOWLEDGE
Your posts must include a question
R14 - THE LONG COUNT
Your next post must have at least 100 characters
R15 - JESTER ACADEMY
Your next post must explain why people should vote you
R16 - SERIOUS BUSINESS
Your posts must not include smilies, pictures, gifs, videos or emojis
R17 - MATH IS A SHAM
You must not write numbers or words that refer to numbers
R18 - BABA IS BOO
You must say “bababooey” once per post (otherwise the aliens on the spaceship will suck all the blood out of your body)
R19 - BRING OUT THE ENCYCLOPEDIA
Your next two posts must include facts about “X” (“X” is chosen once by the player who plays this rule)
R20 - FACT CHECK
You must include a different fact of your choice in every post. For example, “seal facts” or “home insurance facts”.

Goals (14) [G1-G14]

G1 - Delayed Bloodlust
Be the third vote on an execution
G2 - Olympic Medal
Be one of the top three posters (by number of posts) this game day
G3 - Tl;dr
Have at least two posts of over 200 words
G4 - Getting Into the Spirit
Play at least one keeper card and one other card (not counting this one)
G5 - Die Die Die
Be in the execution vote for two players.
G6 - Cut It Out
Be a hammer vote.
G7 - Innocent Child
Do not be voted at all this game day.
G8 - Just End It
Have the third vote on yourself be your own vote
G9 - Horrible Luck
Be affected by a creeper and hold no cards in hand
G10 - Leave Me Alone
Receive no visits the following night
G11 - Pizza Party!
Be the player with the most visits the following night (ties count for every player)
G12 - Because I Say So
Play a rule that remains active until the end of the day
G13 - Peek-A-Boo!
Play a surprise card at any point of the game
G14 - The Reaper
Visit someone the same night they die (for any reason)

Surprises(3) [S1-S3]

S1 - JEEPERS CREEPERS
Remove a creeper card from target player’s hand
S2 - MY WAY
Remove a goal in play
S3 - LAWLESSNESS
Remove a rule in play and draw a new random rule

Actions (12) [A1-A12]

A1 - COP
Target another player to learn their alignment
A2 - JAIL
Target another player to block any actions taken by and on them
A3 - DOC
Target another player to block a killing action on them
A4 - EMPOWER
Target a player to make their next night action unstoppable
A5 - SILENCE
Target a player to make their next night action invisible to investigative roles
A6 - TRACK
Target a player to learn who they target that same night
A7 - GIVE BULLETPROOF VEST
Target a player to give them a vest that automatically stops one killing action on the holder
A8 - BODYGUARD
Target a player to redirect any killing action they receive that same night onto yourself
A9 - WATCH
Target a player to learn who else targets them that same night
A10 - VOIR
Target a player to learn what actions are taken on them that same night
A11 - BUSDRIVE
Target two players to exchange all actions taken on them that same night between each other
A12 - REDIRECT
Target two players to move all actions taken on the first player that same night to the second player

Keepers (10) [K1-K10]

K1 - Bug eyed Monster
Look at another player’s hand.
K2 - Energy Being
To play this, discard an additional card. Draw two cards.
K3 - Teleporter
Draw a random card from the discard pile.
K4 - Unseen Force
Steal a random card from target player’s hand.
K5 - The Captain
Exchange two players’ hands (can self target).
K6 - The Engineer
The next time you draw a card, draw an additional one.
K7 - Energy Crystals
Target another player. The next time they draw a card, they will draw an additional one. They won’t be informed why.
K8 - Intergalactic Travel Guide
Draw two cards. Keep one of those cards and discard the other.
K9 - Holographic Projection
Get a random card that was played during this night phase added to your hand.
K10 - Cute Fuzzy Alien Creature
You must play this card or it will choose a random target. Target player becomes bulletproof next day and night.

Creepers (3) [C1-C3]

C1 - Evil
You investigate as SCUM regardless of your real alignment next night.
C2 - Malfunction
You can’t use any night actions next night.
C3 - Brain parasites
Next night, your night action targets become random and you must play at least one other card.

General mafia rules apply. If you are playing, do NOT discuss the game outside the thread or authorized OOT channels!

Please, do not lurk. The lurker threshold will be 10 posts per game day, with the requisite being halved for hammers that happen at 12h to deadline or earlier, and eliminated if 24h to deadline or earlier. Communication is key - if something important is keeping you from posting and we can accomodate it, tell us! First time is a warning, second one is a modkill.

Do not edit your posts. If there is a reason you need to do so, tell us first.

Do not directly quote private communications. Copying and pasting any kind of OOT comms into thread is not allowed. Neither is copying and pasting any kind of mod communication, including your PM, either in thread or in any possible OOT communication channels. This rule will be enforced, and infringing it will result in a modkill. Card playing is excluded from this rule, but only for the card being played at a given moment.

Do not fake day actions. Do not modify the quoted text of a card you are playing.

Don't be an rear end to people. You don't have to be all nice and friendly all the time, but if things get too heated, please disconnect, calm down and come back later. Again, mod team is here to ensure everyone has fun, but I'd particularly not like needing to tell posters to chill. Be mindful of the person at the other side of the screen!

Game features no alignment changes, no jesters, and no other mod-bastard stuff (note: as always, game may not be 100% free of mod-bastardness, but we try).

We will use Discord. Link is here, please join.

This game works on majority, with hammers happening upon a player reaching half+1 of the votes. Should majority not be reached, no execution will happen.

Nights will be at maximum 24h long from hammer, and can end early if all night actions are in. Days will begin inmediately after nights end, with the deadline being 48/72h.

We're open to setting up a deadline that works for everyone, so if you are not on the US, and we don't know you, please note your timezone on sign-up! We cannot guarantee it will 100% accomodate everyone, depending on where you are you may get some odd hour like 10 am or 6 pm, but we'd like to avoid anyone getting a middle of the night deadline.

Days are at a maximum 48h long, going up to 72h if they span a weekend. Days end at hammer and threads will be closed at night. You can post during twilight (after hammer and before thread closes) but no game-related talk is allowed in that time, and those posts will not count towards day postcount.

Town wins when all threats to town are eliminated. Scum wins when they hold control over the vote. Survivor wins by living until the end!
---
    1. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them)
    2. CapitalistPig (He/Him)
    3. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
    4. Dick Bastardly (He/They)
    5. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
    6. My Second Re-Reg
    7. ObamaAkbar. (He/him)
    8. Opopanax (He/him/opop)
    9. saladscooper (he/him)
    10. Sandwolf (He/Him)
    11. shwinnebego (he/him)

---
Graveyard

Opopanax, SELF-aligned survivor, was executed D1!
ObamaAkbar, TOWN-aligned Just a Standard Crewmate, died N1!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Seal Fact: Cloacamazing! just signed up for this game.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
##play Rule

saladscooper must roll town or else

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

saladscooper posted:

##play Rule

saladscooper must roll town or else

Am I doing it right?

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Oh god this is going to be a mess isn’t it?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Oh god this is going to be a mess isn’t it?

Most definitely. All aboard!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
We're aiming to have this start next weekend, around Sunday 12th!

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Can I summon Exodia in this?

(this is a signup)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Can I summon Exodia in this?

(this is a signup)

Not if I throw it in the ocean!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I SUMMON POT OF GREED

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i want in if space

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i will kill u all

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

This may be one of the few games where poo poo posting is not only allowed but preferred.

Also +1 to checking for the active rule in play, doing the "catching up" style posting may do more harm than good on this one.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

This may be one of the few games where poo poo posting is not only allowed but preferred.

Also +1 to checking for the active rule in play, doing the "catching up" style posting may do more harm than good on this one.

poo poo posting isn’t allowed in other games?!

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

that uh, is a hell of a plot twist from my perspective lmao

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Wow there are almost as many mods as there are players

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

shwinnebego posted:

that uh, is a hell of a plot twist from my perspective lmao

We both seem to have been playing mafia wrong.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

shwinnebego posted:

poo poo posting isn’t allowed in other games?!

No the opposite, no one can get after you for shitposting since everyone else will be doing it too!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm not reading all that but I am in

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm in if this is still recruiting

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

That's a full game! Join the discord if you haven't already, we'll get you all sorted in your sleep pods soon.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don’t have the read the op of this one right?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This looks like so much fun and I’m glad it’s full so I can just read along :)

Edit: This is NOT a signup or desire to signup, I have way too much going on in life rn to commit :(

Referee fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 6, 2023

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
didn't read op, count me in

(i'll read it later when im home)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Maerlyn posted:

That's a full game! Join the discord if you haven't already, we'll get you all sorted in your sleep pods soon.

Nevermind i guess :smith:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Dick Bastardly posted:

Nevermind i guess :smith:

If everyone is on board, we can up it to 11 (2 scum, 1 survivor, 8 town).

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shellception posted:

Hell, you can up it to 70

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Shellception posted:

I’m game

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011

I'll take unspoiled

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

If we update to 11, we have a free spot, so if you wanna play just say so!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Shellception posted:

:unsmith:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I'll play if there's still room.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

CapitalistPig posted:

I'll play if there's still room.

I think you're lucky #11!

I really don't think we can expand any further, we only made so many cards...lol.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

thread title is a lie, ban gas etc

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I would like to play.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mr. Humalong posted:

I would like to play.

We just fixed the title, come on :argh:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shellception posted:

👀

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

I would like to play.

Shellception posted:

lol

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

lol

also i hope dick bastardly is my scumbro again and we get aced by town just like last time, 1-2 punch baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

shwinnebego posted:

lol

also i hope dick bastardly is my scumbro again and we get aced by town just like last time, 1-2 punch baby

it do be like that sometimes